Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible task?

Options
  • 22-04-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some training at home for a few months and as I have a slim frame ive been trying to bulk up shoulders and arms. Ive only recently realised that my goals are in opposition to each other as im also trying for a bit of a 6 pack with weighted incline situps and some cardio.

Ive read that its better to bulk up everything for the protein and then cut to reveal the abs, although this will result in reduced muscle size too. Does anyone have any experience of how possible to just eat clean and produce nice abs at 11st 7?

Should I be cutting calories while doing weight training and concentrating on muscle building foods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Do you want to be bigger or do you want to be leaner? ask yourself that question looking at your physique right now.

If you want to be big and lean, you're better off forgetting about the 6pack for the moment and just go on a bulk, gain some decent size and strength, and then cut slowly when you feel fat.

Maintaining a 6pack year round is unnecessary imo and you'll make minimal progress that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Atola

Im trying to do both and its killing me! Im counting calories, eating lots of protein while doing cardio and weights. Am I wasting my time with this? I have seen an improvement but now i feel im at a plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Barring the use of banned substances or a perfect application of nutritional protocols, it's virtually impossible to continue losing weight and building muscle once you've established some training history. A beginner just needs to turn up and lift while eating at a deficit and can achieve both for a period, but at a certain point most people can't achieve both.

Atola wrote: »
    Im trying to do both and its killing me! Im counting calories, eating lots of protein while doing cardio and weights. Am I wasting my time with this? I have seen an improvement but now i feel im at a plateau.

Whilst it's possible to eat at a maintenance and build muscle while getting leaner, it's more optimal to divide that time between bulking and cutting, hence bulking and cutting is a staple for bodybuilders because it's the most efficient way to gain size but also get leaner.

I'd say do a lean bulk with a surplus of like 300cals a day and try to gain weight slowly while minimising fat gains, and stick with this for at least 6 months. Just focus on slow weight gain while getting stronger over time and you'll make progress.

Thanks for your advice, I think I was under eating and with muscle soreness it wasn't making a happy atola. I just thought I cant go on like this, im wrecked every day.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice, I think I was under eating and with muscle soreness it wasn't making a happy atola. I just thought I cant go on like this, im wrecked every day.

Thanks again

Yeah you really shouldn't be putting your body under such stress like that. Lifting weights and going to the gym is more of a lifestyle rather than something you should force yourself through. By all means, watching your diet is important but you have to make slow, gradual changes rather than forcing yourself into crazy diets and feeling like ****. Anyone who has a big, lean physique has been doing this for years and doesn't put their body through a tortuous process which makes them feel terrible; they make some changes to their eating habits and learn to build their lifestyle from there.

Yeah you really shouldn't be putting your body under such stress like that. Lifting weights and going to the gym is more of a lifestyle rather than something you should force yourself through. By all means, watching your diet is important but you have to make slow, gradual changes rather than forcing yourself into crazy diets and feeling like ****. Anyone who has a big, lean physique has been doing this for years and doesn't put their body through a tortuous process which makes them feel terrible; they make some changes to their eating habits and learn to build their lifestyle from there.

Agree totally. Ive been doing this since jan and notice im not really getting any further now, in fact I think im going backwards! Trying to train every day bar one a week and eat clean.

Some people told me that if I ate protein rich foods and lowered carbs and sugar I could achieve more built muscle with a lower body fat percentage at the same time. Im not so sure this is true now for a beginner.

Agree totally. Ive been doing this since jan and notice im not really getting any further now, in fact I think im going backwards! Trying to train every day bar one a week and eat clean.

Some people told me that if I ate protein rich foods and lowered carbs and sugar I could achieve more built muscle with a lower body fat percentage at the same time. Im not so sure this is true now for a beginner.

While beginners can prove to be exceptions to a lot of rules, it's impossible to gain muscle while losing weight. Going to the gym 6 days a week is also quite excessive; you can make great gains training 3-4 days a week.

Just set a goal weight eg 10kg gain, take it slowly, and just reassess yourself once a week. If you've gained nothing, up the calories, if you've gained too much and are starting to get a bit fat, lower the calories a bit. It's fine to make little alterations like that, once you give yourself at least 6-9 months to gain about 10kg or so. You'll gain some fat along the way, but this can be lost easily with a small cut, and if you're a beginner, most of the weight will be muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

what is your workout routine like for the week?

No not going to the gym.Im just doing free weights at home for an hour or so and have a pull up bar, weights bench/incline bench, do running or half hour mixture of cardio/ squats/ lunges etc.

Ive always been thin and never had much weight on. My forte was speed over strength. I cant seem to put on weight at the best of times but I put that down to my crap old diet of sugary drinks and fast food. A lot of people were jealous of how much crap I ate but didn't seem to put on anything. I felt unhealthy though so I changed it.

Ill try a mini bulk and see what changes that makes.

• Advertisement

what is your workout routine like for the week?

1.Monday

Id do 3 reps of everything in a row

15-20 press ups
    10-15 bicep curls 9-10 kg each arm
    10 lateral raise 9kg
    15 Bent Over Reverse Flys 10kg
    20 incline 45 degree situps, 10 incline situps with 10kg weight on my chest twice
    15 chest flys at 9-10kg
    15 incline chest presses
    50 second plank
    12 One Arm Shoulder Press to Bicept Curl Combo (straight up)
    20 One arm dumbbell rows
    Pull up bar as much as possible

That takes me an hour or more

2.Tuesday

Go running for 1/2 hour and small bit of weights if im feeling ok

3.Wednesday

Weights again as Monday

4. Thursday

Cardio/ leg work with squats/ lunges. Normal situps/ v-crunches

I use the xbox game ea sports active 2 and go through the hardest cardio regime for 1/2 hour just to mix it up a bit. I find it works for me.

5. Friday

Day off

6. Saturday

Swim laps at local pool for 3/4 hour

Weights regime again as above

7.Sunday

Go for a run or do the cardio on the xbox

Do you think I should ditch the cardio stuff altogether?

Do you think I should ditch the cardio stuff altogether?

I'm kind of in a similar position as I'm skinny but trying to get bigger. I would say cut the cardio if you're trying to bulk but if you're really concerned about keeping some cardiovascular fitness then maybe do two light 30 min cardio sessions a week. Also maybe work with heavier weights doing less reps and don't work any same muscle two days in a row.

Also diet is indeed everything. I can't put on weight unless I make a conscious effort to eat at a calorific surplus and track my eating. Once you've gotten to a size you're happy with then you can cut to reveal the abs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I'm kind of in a similar position as I'm skinny but trying to get bigger. I would say cut the cardio if you're trying to bulk but if you're really concerned about keeping some cardiovascular fitness then maybe do two light 30 min cardio sessions a week. Also maybe work with heavier weights doing less reps and don't work any same muscle two days in a row.

Also diet is indeed everything. I can't put on weight unless I make a conscious effort to eat at a calorific surplus and track my eating. Once you've gotten to a size you're happy with then you can cut to reveal the abs.
    "I can't put on weight unless I make a conscious effort to eat at a calorific surplus and track my eating".

that part is essential!!

Plus when someone list their exercises and upper body is in detail but lower body movements are glossed over then i know they have the program ass backwards.

You've a good body weight program mixed with some weights but overall you need to place a bigger emphasis on the basic principle of progressive resistance i.e. get stronger, so if you're now doing pull ups at body weight then start weighted pull ups, same for press ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You need to eat extra calories to gain muscle. As a rule you're achieving one of two things:
    A - Dropping body fat (by eating a calorie deficit)
    B - Gaining muscle (by eating a calorie surplus)

Regardless of which of the two you are doing you should always be eating lots of protein and lifting weights (to maintain the muscle you currently have in the case of A).

Eat more, keep lifting.

Zillah wrote: »
    You need to eat extra calories to gain muscle. As a rule you're achieving one of two things:
    A - Dropping body fat (by eating a calorie deficit)
    B - Gaining muscle (by eating a calorie surplus)

Regardless of which of the two you are doing you should always be eating lots of protein and lifting weights (to maintain the muscle you currently have in the case of A).

Eat more, keep lifting.

Thanks Zillah,

Im finding now with the extra food im eating and less cardio that I feel a bit weary or even tired when I start doing weights. I don't feel as energetic as I did a couple of weeks ago.

Any tips on how to keep energy levels high and not take in too many more calories?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks Zillah,

Im finding now with the extra food im eating and less cardio that I feel a bit weary or even tired when I start doing weights. I don't feel as energetic as I did a couple of weeks ago.

Any tips on how to keep energy levels high and not take in too many more calories?
    What's your sleep like? Stress?

Thanks Zillah,

I didn't say less cardio. Cardio is good for your cardio-vascular system. If you're afraid of cardio burning too many calories it is very easy to get another couple hundred in to overcome that.

When are you eating? Don't eat a big meal before training, something light an hour beforehand is fine. Eat your big meals after working out.

What's your sleep like? Stress?

Sleep recently has been good. Waking up naturally at 7am has been happening more as im getting fitter. Normally 7-8 hours per night.

I didn't say less cardio. Cardio is good for your cardio-vascular system. If you're afraid of cardio burning too many calories it is very easy to get another couple hundred in to overcome that.

When are you eating? Don't eat a big meal before training, something light an hour beforehand is fine. Eat your big meals after working out.

Problem is I have time constraints on exercise so im concentrating more on weights than cardio. I cant do both and have time to prepare meals and be with kids etc.

Good idea about the meal timing, maybe that's it. I might change my dinner time based on that. Have something small at 6pm and a bigger meal later on in the evening after workouts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Problem is I have time constraints on exercise so im concentrating more on weights than cardio. I cant do both and have time to prepare meals and be with kids etc.

Good idea about the meal timing, maybe that's it. I might change my dinner time based on that. Have something small at 6pm and a bigger meal later on in the evening after workouts. :)
    plus your recovery rate hasn't improved as your strength has improved so might be time to mix up your program that will allow for better recovery between body parts or at least cycle intensity

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    plus your recovery rate hasn't improved as your strength has improved so might be time to mix up your program that will allow for better recovery between body parts or at least cycle intensity

HI transform, does cycling intensity mean doing mixing it up between heavy weights and lighter weights with more reps?

OK been eating well, 5-6 meals a day, leaving rest days between exercise, not doing as much cardio, drinking protein shakes and I seem to be loosing weight. Is this normal? I thought with added muscle mass I would put on weight?

If you're losing weight then you're still not eating enough and your meals are probably too small. Use a calorie tracker app like myFitnessPal just for a few days and track how many calories you're taking in. It should be a few hundred calories above your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) which can be calculated here.

You'll only build minimal, if any muscle mass if you're not eating enough.

If you're losing weight then you're still not eating enough and your meals are probably too small. Use a calorie tracker app like myFitnessPal just for a few days and track how many calories you're taking in. It should be a few hundred calories above your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) which can be calculated here.

You'll only build minimal, if any muscle mass if you're not eating enough.

Im eating 200 cals a day over myfitnesspals recommended of 2200! I east home made flapjacks every day with loads of peanut butter and nuts. I eat lasagne for dinner and take it in to work for lunch too. PLus my job means spending a lot of time on my butt infron of a computer.

Calories never worked for me tbh. I could eat all I like and never really put on weight. Maybe a fast metabolism? I can see differences in my body being more muscular than I was but I thought I would gain a few lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Calories never worked for me tbh. I could eat all I like and never really put on weight. Maybe a fast metabolism? I can see differences in my body being more muscular than I was but I thought I would gain a few lbs.

Were you tracking your calories when you said they didnt work?

Most people are guilty of saying they eat loads when the calorie content would suggest otherwise.

Were you tracking your calories when you said they didnt work?

Most people are guilty of saying they eat loads when the calorie content would suggest otherwise.

I can track them now by way of what I used to eat on a Friday.

Friday - big bowl of frosties for breakfast,
    then tea, 4 biscuits and packet of crisps for a break,
    chippie for lunch,
    indian chicken tikka masala with chips and one nan to myself for dinner
    2 bottles of wine to wash that down and chocolate bars/ sugary sweets after

I used to do this to myself every week and not put on any weight. The rest of the week wasn't much better either and this was with no exercise/ sedentary job.

When I was a teenager it was much worse than that too, snickers bars used to be part of my staple diet and I used to have 2 deserts after sunday dinner (sticky toffee pudding with custard!)

Sorry I know this is a fitness thread and people are probably hating me right now but that's the way it was.

On a side note I believe that children need to be educated better on nutrition. (if they haven't already started that)

Im eating 200 cals a day over myfitnesspals recommended of 2200!

Wait wait...what? That's a very low requirement for an active male. Are you sure you filled in your details correctly? Is it accounting for exercise? Also, 200 is pretty much within the margin of error for something like myfitnesspal.
    Calories never worked for me tbh. I could eat all I like and never really put on weight. Maybe a fast metabolism?

Calories work for you the exact same way they work for everyone. You do not defy the laws of physics, you are not eating enough. You will gain weight if you eat more calories. You obviously have a very low baseline expectation for what a "lot" of food counts as. Aim for 3000 per day for a month and see if you can gain some.

Squeezing in extra food can be tricky when you don't have a high appetite but it will work for you if you eat more. Every day. You'll get used to it. 2 litres of full fat milk every day. Eat bread dipped in oil. Gotta get creative!
    egwWH6H.png

Wait wait...what? That's a very low requirement for an active male. Are you sure you filled in your details correctly? Is it accounting for exercise? Also, 200 is pretty much within the margin of error for something like myfitnesspal.

Calories work for you the exact same way they work for everyone. You do not defy the laws of physics, you are not eating enough. You will gain weight if you eat more calories. You obviously have a very low baseline expectation for what a "lot" of food counts as. Aim for 3000 per day for a month and see if you can gain some.

Squeezing in extra food can be tricky when you don't have a high appetite but it will work for you if you eat more. Every day. You'll get used to it. 2 litres of full fat milk every day. Eat bread dipped in oil. Gotta get creative!
    egwWH6H.png

I don't think im that active. Most of the day I sit on my ass at work. I only do 30 mins of cardio per week now and weights every other night for an hour.

I do try to space out meals not to stretch my stomach too much so im ready for the cut period. I have cut bread out of my diet so far but tonnes of natural yoghurt and peanut butter is in to replace it.

When I was a kid I ate until I was sick if you put enough chocolate in
    front of me! I honestly don't think people absorb calories the same as each other.

Also meant to say the fitnesspal's calorie count is before protein shakes so add another couple of hundred to that maybe?

• Advertisement

3-4 sessions of weights for an hour every week is a hell of a lot more than most people do, and would probably account for 300 calories per session, which if you look at the numbers, is enough to undo any of the 'excess' you are eating.

You're not magic, you're not a special snow flake; you're not eating enough. You have a warped view of what a 'lot' of food is. Eat more.

Why are you planning for your cut before you've even successfully bulked at all? Talk about putting the horse before the cart. You should stretch your stomach a bit, by the sounds of it is has been sorely understretched so far. You won't do yourself any harm, eat more. It doesn't have to be all at once.

There's nothing wrong with bread, either. Especially for someone struggling to gain weight. Carbs are your friend, they're easy calories.

Advertisement