Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I've recently seen a documentary about several shops that were victims of a break-in and had their bikes stolen. Apparently these bikes were recognized by the owners as advertised and sold for less than half price in a well known Ukranian website.

Have a look and judge for yourself

The local police couldn't care less, I wouldn't be surprised if our beloved bikes ended up in a similar way

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not reporting a theft, but a new means of bike theft.

A colleague from work was cycling along yesterday, some ***** *********** ******* ******* ******* *unt sh*tbird stepped out in front of her, grabbed the bike from under her, she went flying, and the pr*ck cycled off.

This is a new low.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Not reporting a theft, but a new means of bike theft.

A colleague from work was cycling along yesterday, some ***** *********** ******* ******* ******* *unt sh*tbird stepped out in front of her, grabbed the bike from under her, she went flying, and the pr*ck cycled off.

This is a new low.

Alas its not new, I have heard of it happening in the city and have had a lad try and pull the bike from under me while I was sitting on the crossbar chatting to a friend, when I jumped and pulled it back he tried to pretend he was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Another thing to bear in mind is securing your bikes well on rear carriers - I was stuck at lights on way home from WW200 last year on bridge at BGET when a lad tried to pull the bike off the back which was secured with rack straps only. Threw the door open and he scarpered - legs were in no position to give chase so just as well he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

on bridge at BGET

Where is BGET?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

check_six wrote: »
    Where is BGET?

Bord Gais Energy Theatre maybe? Though I am guessing.
    Not sure why anyone would abbreviate it though. Ringsend road Bridge I assume it is

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rustyf81

Bike stolen outside my apartment yesterday evening. Not mine so have no details, only saw the wheel left today.

They left a Muddyfox bike in exchange for the one they stole...how kind.
    So if youve had a muddyfox bike stolen in the Dublin 6 area, let me know. Sitting outside my apt with no lock on it. They'd hardly be bauld enough to come back this evening to take it back???. SCUMBAGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

remember for every scumbag that steals a bike there is another scumbag who buys a stolen bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I was in Copenhagen a few months ago. Outside the shopping centres and train stations there were literally thousands of bikes that were unlocked. (There was a small lock to stop the back wheel turning but nothing to stop you picking the bike up and putting it in a van or walking away with it). Bikes were just strewn on the ground.

How is it that all these bikes are not getting stolen?

I appreciate that almost everyone cycles in Copenhagen and I probably wasn't seeing high-end equipment. However, considering all manner of bikes get stolen here, why not there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I was in Copenhagen ...
    How is it that all these bikes are not getting stolen?

People there leave their babies outside in freezing cold weather (to nap) - http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21537988

I assume the horseshoe lock is enough of a deterrent for he length of time people are away from their bikes (have you ever tried to lift an Omafiets - they're heavy...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    People there leave their babies outside in freezing cold weather (to nap) - http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21537988

I assume the horseshoe lock is enough of a deterrent for he length of time people are away from their bikes (have you ever tried to lift an Omafiets - they're heavy...)

Mate just moved back from Canada - has primary school going kids.

Apparently the school allowed them play outside unt it hit colder than minus -25c. Then it was time to come in :eek:

On the bike robbing thing, I lived in Germany for several summers and during an erasmus year - never even owned a lock. Bike was left everywhere for days at a time. Just different Moral standards at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 morganmc

rustyf81 wrote: »
    Bike stolen outside my apartment yesterday evening. Not mine so have no details, only saw the wheel left today.

They left a Muddyfox bike in exchange for the one they stole...how kind.
    So if youve had a muddyfox bike stolen in the Dublin 6 area, let me know. Sitting outside my apt with no lock on it. They'd hardly be bauld enough to come back this evening to take it back???. SCUMBAGS.

Was that Milltown by any chance? Discovered my bike was nicked this evening :(

BailMeOut wrote: »
    remember for every scumbag that steals a bike there is another scumbag who buys a stolen bike.

spot on!think its been said on here already people keep buying these bikes they will keep getting robbed!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Reminder. Please don't use this forum to suggest someone has stolen a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rustyf81

Terenure. Bad luck with your bike :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

stolen bike outside SVP Terenure at 11am today

62cm steel frame fixed gear conversion, Nitto steel stem and bars, yellow bar tape
    black mavic cxp 33 wheels(rear has gold dia compe hub), stronglight cranks & 52T dura ace chainring, white spd pedals
    black specialized saddle, black seatpost
    front brake, flat lever on right side of bars

old photo, different parts on it now
    11187763_10155599353370604_6812912731714068808_o.jpg

Giant Roam 0, XL (23") frame, probably has a different front wheel, as that was left behind, not able to post a picture as I've not posted much to boards, but it's pretty much factory standard, aside from a bottle cage and mudflaps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

morganmc wrote: »
    Giant Roam 0, XL (23") frame, probably has a different front wheel, as that was left behind, not able to post a picture as I've not posted much to boards, but it's pretty much factory standard, aside from a bottle cage and mudflaps.

Where was it taken from? What mudguards are they? What bottlecage?

If you have a pic, drop me a link via PM and I will put it up.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Where was it taken from? What mudguards are they? What bottlecage?

If you have a pic, drop me a link via PM and I will put it up.

Thanks CramCycle. Bike was taken from Mount Saint Anne's car park in Milltown.
    Set of beavertail mudflaps on it, the bottle cage was a pretty standard one, just something from Halfords I think.

PM sent with a link to the stock image (bike was basically as manufactured, aside from the mudflaps & bottle cage)

rsz_roam_0_disc_black.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Mad story.

I had a cannonade bad boy stolen in January in town - I'd had it a year and used it everyday for commuting. Gutted.

Bought a Focus Planet 2.0 in February and that was stolen from work last week - Locked in a cage in an underground carpark with security guards. Totally Heartbroken.

Browsing the Garda flickr page for the Focus and came across the Cannondale that was stolen in January..... Unbelievable.

Guards have been super helpful and I'll have my original bike back in a few days, lights and all.

The lesson learned here after watching the CCTV of the focus being taken from the cage is that even with a yellow Kryptonite, in probably the most secure location I could imagine.... they'll still get it if they want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,897 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How did they get through the yellow Kryptonite? Angle grinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No idea - they just dragged the bike away. Lock was wheel/frame - not attached to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 conradk

My orange and black Vitus road bike was stolen out of my employers basement car park on Monday afternoon at 5pm.

We have extensive CCTV footage of a cyclist entering the car park, cutting the bike cage wall with a wire cutters, opening the locked door from the inside and then taking a angle grinder to the metal bike stand which my bike was locked to with a Kryptonite.

It's very clear the person is quite identiyable - I would love to post the footage up here but I know it's not allowed by moderators because of our restrictive defamation laws (which is a matter for another day).

He was in and out of the building within 7 mins.
    The Gardai are following up but to be honest I think people keeping an eye out for this bike if it goes up for sale is more effective.

It has a few distinctive features (The pic of my bike on the wall stand is before I made these changes)
    - non original Zipp carbon handlebars
    - Black bar tape
    - non original mavic aksium wheels
    - non original Fizik saddle (black and silver)
    - An Ultegra 11 speed front crankset - it does not match the 10speed Ultra groupset
    If anyone sees it I would love to hear from you as getting a bike nicked sucks big time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moved to stolen bikes mega-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Makes my blood boil. Sorry for your loss. Obviously just another opportunistic thief. :rolleyes::rolleyes:. Amazing really how the law favors the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

conradk wrote: »
    ...cyclist entering the car park, cutting the bike cage wall with a wire cutters, opening the locked door from the inside and then taking a angle grinder to the metal bike stand ...
    How did he/she power the angle grinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,409 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How did he/she power the angle grinder?

Aldi were doing cordless ones in the past . Similar to this but much cheaper.
    http://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dcg412n-xr-5-angle-grinder-18v-bare.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

conradk wrote: »
    My orange and black Vitus road bike was stolen out of my employers basement car park on Monday afternoon at 5pm.

We have extensive CCTV footage of a cyclist entering the car park, cutting the bike cage wall with a wire cutters, opening the locked door from the inside and then taking a angle grinder to the metal bike stand which my bike was locked to with a Kryptonite.
    Crazy, where abouts did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanies_show

Hi,

My bike was robbed from the underground car park at my office in Ballsbridge on Thursday. I suspect my bike was targeted as it was locked yet other unlocked bikes were untouched. My bike is a White Focus Cayo Team Replica (2010) with a light blue strip down the top bar. It has non-original SRAM Rival shifters that don't match the other SRAM Force components. I know it's a long shot but if anyone comes across it let me know.
    <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,409 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,

My bike was robbed from the underground car park at my office in Ballsbridge on Thursday. I suspect my bike was targeted as it was locked yet other unlocked bikes were untouched. My bike is a White Focus Cayo Team Replica (2010) with a light blue strip down the top bar. It has non-original SRAM Rival shifters that don't match the other SRAM Force components. I know it's a long shot but if anyone comes across it let me know.
    <snip>
    It wasn't take from the oval was it?

Advertisement