Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skoda Cycle Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I have to say, unless I missed something, the communication from the organisers on this event is pretty poor.

There is nothing on their webiste regarding registering on Friday etc. also I am not generally on face book (I dont like it), but the details on the facebook page seem to be all about the 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

bazermc wrote: »
    I have to say, unless I missed something, the communication from the organisers on this event is pretty poor.

There is nothing on their webiste regarding registering on Friday etc. also I am not generally on face book (I dont like it), but the details on the facebook page seem to be all about the 2014

I agree, just got an email from them, its says the first route will leave at 9am followed by the second shortly afterwards but how do you know which one is the first route, I presume its the longer one but why could they just say the 100km one?

bullvine wrote: »
    I agree, just got an email from them, its says the first route will leave at 9am followed by the second shortly afterwards but how do you know which one is the first route, I presume its the longer one but why could they just say the 100km one?

I agree, also just got an email, doesnt say anything about Pasta though!

Its fairy handy though getting my stuff the night before. As last year I found I was parked a good bit about away from the registration centre that I didnt know what to do with the goodie bag as didnt have time to collect it and then bring it back to the car.

If last years start is anything to go by, you can look forward to start that is something like the grand national

I was actually late last year, I was coming in as they were leaving and you're right it was like the grand national

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Please see all of the event info that you need below.

Skoda & Fit Magazine will be communicating with all participants who have have registered online.

The Skoda Cycle Series Tour of Wicklow takes place this Saturday 25th April 2015 – we hope you are as excited about the event as we are!

Thank you for registering for the event.

Please carefully read the information below to make your experience more enjoyable on the day.

Friday Night Pasta Party:

Friday night Pasta Party takes place at Spirit Skoda Sandyford from 6pm-8pm.

Directions here: http://www.skoda.ie/dealers/spirit-skoda/Pages/spirit-skoda.aspx

At the pasta party, you can sign on, collect your race number and pick up your Skoda goody bag. This will save you time on Saturday morning.

If you cannot make the pasta party, you can sign on at Bray Emmets GAA Club on Saturday morning from 7.30-8.30am

Start/Finish Details:

The start and finish will take place in Bray Emmets GAA Club, Old Conna Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow.

Directions to Bray Emmets GAA Club here: http://www.brayemmets.com/brayemmets/about/directions.aspx

Parking, changing & shower facilities available at the start/finish.

Overflow car parking is available at St Gerards School on Thornhill Road approximately 1km away, you will need to cycle back to the event start at Bray Emmets GAA Club.

Start Times:

100km Route starts at 9.00am

45km Route starts at 9.00am

Route maps (Note: Routes have changed this year, the shorter route is now easier):

100km: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/655700920

45km: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/655711174

Feed Stop:

The feed stop for the 100km route only will take place at The Brockagh Centre in Laragh, which is at the 52km mark.

http://www.brockaghresourcecentre.ie/contact/

The feed station will close at 1pm sharp!

Water Stops:
    45km Route: At 17km mark.
    100km Route: At 17km mark & 80km mark.

Social Media:

Follow Tour of Wicklow updates on Twitter https://twitter.com/PurpleHouseIRL @PurpleHouseIRL use the hashtag ‪#‎TourofWicklow‬

Follow updates on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PurpleHouseCancerSupport

Follow the event LIVE on www.EventFM.ie

We will also have LIVE drone video footage of the event on the day thanks to LookMedia.ie

Thank you to the following for making the event possible:

Skoda Ireland, INM Regionals, Bray Emmets GAA, Bray Town Council, www.bray.ie, Dunnes Stores, Everest Cycles, BrayTV, Look Media, Advocate Films, Event FM, Purple House Cancer Support.

Proceeds from the Skoda Tour of Wicklow will go to Purple House Cancer Support services in Wicklow & Dublin.
    For more information please see www.purplehouse.ie

If you wish to raise more funds for the charity, you can set up an online fundraising page here:
    http://www.mycharity.ie/charity/purplehousecancersupport/

Thanks for your support and we look forward to seeing you on Saturday in Wicklow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Taken from their Facebook page. They sent out an email this morning it came from fit magazine so might be in your junk mail. It's not as detailed as the post above though which is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

The Sligo event was a good one... Only done the 50km myself... New to cycling... What did you all think of it?? Lovely route, thought I was going to meet a celebrity though!!! Vogue done it last year, seemed to be no-one this year

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Looks like wet & windy for tomorrow. Guess I need to gear up..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Looks like wet & windy for tomorrow. Guess I need to gear up..

I think tomorrow is all about getting out and back asap. If we get away on time at 9am, the first 2, 2 1/2 hours should be dry, and a drenching after that. It also looks like strong head winds for the last 40k if the forecast is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

happyhappy wrote: »
    I think tomorrow is all about getting out and back asap. If we get away on time at 9am, the first 2, 2 1/2 hours should be dry, and a drenching after that. It also looks like strong head winds for the last 40k if the forecast is correct.

Thank God. I was getting tired of all this sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Thoughts on the "goody" bags in Spirit Skoda this evening?

A Skoda bottle cage
    A high 5 sample
    An interior design magazine
    Wheelworx voucher for €10 if you sign us on their customer loyalty scheme.

I bought a Skoda jersey for €40 and socks for €3

Got there at 18:15 and the free pasta wasn't ready.

Hope the rain isnt too bad tomorrow.

Have never done the Sally Gap before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

You'll have a grand old spin around IC,rain wont bother you till 12.30 pm,sure you'll be at the finish line by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Fell in with a bunch on this sportive this morning on our way up to Glencullen on the club spin. At that point, about 0930 the rain had started and by the time we were past JF's it was settling in for a while. The temperature drop by the time we got to Sally Gap was significant and we turned off on our route. Plenty of cold, drowned rats by the end of that spin I'd say! Nearly froze on the descent to Manor Kilbride.

Very nasty spill by a female cyclist coming into Enniskerry with only 3km to go.
    I hope she's gonna be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

The amount of people with symptoms of hypothermia by Laragh was nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

meisce wrote: »

The food stop looked more like a field hospital. Not sure many were continuing on when I was there.

I punctured on the way to laragh. My hands were too cold to fix it myself, so when the mechanic came and I got in to the warm van that was me finished for the day. Thanks to Tom (I think) who was the mechanic who gave me a spin back to the start.

Thanks to the volunteers at the food & water stops, route was well marshaled and signposted.

I hope the woman who fell is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

meisce wrote: »

was doing my own thing down there earlier and saw what i think was the last few heading towards sally gap. not surprised people were frozen. Was alot of guys in shorts and lightish tops and jackets. My garmin gave me a temp at the bottom of Lugalla of 3 degrees and blue skies. Checked it again on my way back just past Glencree and was down to 2.5 degrees. Was a ****ty day for it

I did as far as Laragh and packed it in.
    Hands were numb.
    Couldn't break or change gears with confidence.
    I was shivering, teeth chattering, was the most tortuous experience I've ever had on my bike so packed it in and got to Emmets GAA club and stayed under a warm Shower for 10 mins.
    Beginning to feel Normal Now.

Well run event - just a pity about the weather.

I managed the whole course and didn't realise the loop from laragh to the vartry lakes was taken off due to the cold condition of everyone.

I feel silly even posting after hearing the news about the bad spill. I really hope That person is ok, I feel sick knowing I went down the same route before her.

Finished it myself but lost a couple of people at Laragh, a bus came and picked everyone up, the spin from Laragh back to Bray was ok, didn't see the incident in Enniskerry but I will say that the road down through the town was lethal.

As for the spin over Sallygap, I have never experienced conditions like that on a bike thankfully it wasnt windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Hope the woman's ok. Managed to finish it but was tempted to get the bus at the food stop. Couldn't change gears or see properly and I felt pretty dizzy and dazed by the time I got to laragh. Staff on the day were great hope everyone made it back ok

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

That was such a filthy spin, I've never experienced cold like it. It was fine when climbing but descents were hell. My front brake was barely working so decided to stop above Glenmacnass and tighten the cable. I could barely get my gloves off and the bike shook most of the way down the descent due to uncontrollable shivering. That food stop in Laragh was like a field hospital. So many people were shivering while trying to get a hot drink into them. Fair play the the organisers, firstly they very wisely shortened the route and then they put on a bus for anybody who abandoned in Laragh. When we got into Bray there was a woman offering to massage our hands to restore feeling in them. Marshalling was very good only one place where I think they could improve, namely the final bend on the descent of the Old Long Hill. It's a dangerous corner and they could have done with someone telling people to slow down. In fairness they had a sign put up. All in all that was a tough day to run and they did a great job to adapt to what was happening in front of them on the route.

The tips of my fingers are still numb after that. should I be worried?

lissard wrote: »
    That was such a filthy spin, I've never experienced cold like it. It was fine when climbing but descents were hell. My front brake was barely working so decided to stop above Glenmacnass and tighten the cable. I could barely get my gloves off and the bike shook most of the way down the descent due to uncontrollable shivering. That food stop in Laragh was like a field hospital. So many people were shivering while trying to get a hot drink into them. Fair play the the organisers, firstly they very wisely shortened the route and then they put on a bus for anybody who abandoned in Laragh. When we got into Bray there was a woman offering to massage our hands to restore feeling in them. Marshalling was very good only one place where I think they could improve, namely the final bend on the descent of the Old Long Hill. It's a dangerous corner and they could have done with someone telling people to slow down. In fairness they had a sign put up. All in all that was a tough day to run and they did a great job to adapt to what was happening in front of them on the route.

I was so worried about getting a puncture, there was no way I could have changed it with the condition my hands were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

bullvine wrote: »
    I was so worried about getting a puncture, there was no way I could have changed it with the condition my hands were in.

I was chatting to a guy from Clare who was in exactly that predicament. Had a blow out at the end of the Old Long Hill. Fortunately a marshal was on hand to sort it out for him but not without difficulty. Her hands were numb too. Reminds me of Paul Kimmages book where he talks of pissing on his hands in the Giro just so he could grip the brakes. Glamorous life being a pro eh?

One of the marshals told me that 47 abandoned at laragh on top of a few on the course including 3 before glencullen.

Does anyone know if this is accurate??

I also agree that the marshalling was excellent except at the previously mentioned corner at the bottom of djouce. The warning sign was 2km in advance which was too far away. I knew what was coming up but plenty didnt and there was nearly a spill in front of me. However that's the only small thing, even though they shortened the course there was still marshalls on parts of the original course for those that weren't cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

happyhappy wrote: »
    One of the marshals told me that 47 abandoned at laragh on top of a few on the course including 3 before glencullen.

Does anyone know if this is accurate??

I wonder did many who were meant to do the 100km route take the turn off and do the 45km route instead

I wonder did many who were meant to do the 100km route take the turn off and do the 45km route instead

Ah. I did something in between. Knowing I would struggle getting back from Laragh i turned left at Sally Gap and when over Lugalla and the rejoined route at Roundwood. I am glad I did though. Worked out at about 60k.

I have done plenty of wet cycles over the years like The Wicklow 200 a couple of years ago 2011 I think and Skt in Waterford last year, but I have never been so frozen on the bike. I had to stop 3 or 4 times on the old long hill as right arm was starting to seize up and would have lost control of the bike.

I'd say a few did. The Marshall was pointing at a big truck at the finish which he said was full of bikes from people who abandoned.

I think the mild weather for the last two weeks must have caught people out who went out in the wrong gear.

Hopefully by the skoda dragon sportive on the 21st of June the summer will have actually arrived!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Ditto - have several wetter and longer cycles under my belt but never got cold like today. Possibly poorly equipped but did have a good rain jacket and overshoes. (Most forecasts suggested rain to begin gradually about 11-12, but it started at 9.05). Marginal hypothermia, shuddering rather than shivering, hands numb causing poor handling. Thought I had a flat at one stage as bike felt dead, but not so. Reckon I just couldn't feel it properly.
    Sandwich and tea didn't cut it at the lunch stop, so went to cafe for soup. Newspaper fore and aft under my jacket a big help, but was shivering again at end due to resuming rain, and descents. Fair play to marshals and for organising bus from lunch stop.
    Not enjoyable at the time, but definitely one to remember.

Advertisement