Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was late for work because..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Was once half an hour late because I sleepily drove for twenty minutes in the direction of my old workplace, forgetting I had changed jobs a month prior!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All through college I was a night-owl. So much so that I worked as a night-porter for a while during a term when I had mostly afternoon lectures.

My first week in my first career job and I managed to forget to set my alarm: woke up at 1pm. Luckily I was only living down the road from the office so I made it in during what would have been my lunch hour... only 4 1/2 hours late for work! How I survived 6 years in that job I've no idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I had one totally unreasonable boss though. My house was broken into overnight and I had to wait for a locksmith to secure the door and wait on the Gardai.

She gave me a verbal and written warning and called me a liar in front of the whole office!

I'm still annoyed about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

My alarm didn't go off.

Because I didn't set it.

Because I don't want to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Can't really be late as we don't do the whole fixed start and finish times, people come in when they want within reason. I was in early this morning (8:50) and had to turn the lights on in the large open plan office, not a sinner to be seen.

Is your company hiring at the moment? I don't care what it is, I can do ANYTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Because there was nobody to take the dog out in the morning and she comes first :P So yeah...I was late because I was walking the dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

A burst pipe and having to wait for the plumber is one of my favorite excuses here - I've used that twice in the last 5 years (because my students are always telling me about their burst pipes - common occurrence here, it seems).

Two genuine stupid reasons I was late for work was not being able to find my shoes and getting locked into the apartment by my boyfriend. I told the truth in the latter case but not the first one. I live in an apartment too small for munchkins but always lose my shoes in it but I'd sound like a right simpleton using that as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

deise08 wrote: »
    Years ago, one of the girls where I work was late after a very long night of drinking.

Her excuse was....
    ' sorry I half way down the road when a bird shat in me hair. I had to go back and wash it.'

What could you do but laugh :)

That happened to me a few months ago and I had to go in and teach a class in a pharmaceutical company with a big **** in my hair with my hair kinda stuck together (though I got most of it out). That's dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Because there was nobody to take the dog out in the morning and she comes first :P So yeah...I was late because I was walking the dog

Mine was that I was herding cats! Well, one cat really, mine. As I was heading up the street, I heard the lovely sounds of cats having a set-to and saw my cat being chased up the road in the opposite direction to my house. I managed to catch up with her (before she got to a busy road) and shoo her back towards home which took me about half an hour of coaxing to get her as far as the top of my street.

I was about an hour late and nobody believed me! I had to do an extra hour to make up for it and got home to a cat loudly complaining that I wasn't back at the usual time to fetch her dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I had a fella working for me was always late on a Monday morning, without fail. Sometimes wouldn't show at all

So one busy Friday, with a heap of work lined up for the next week, I pulls him aside and says 'Listen, oef you're not going to be here and on time on Monday don't bother coming in Tuesday either.

'I'll see you Wednesday so' he says cheerfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

My wife fell down the stairs... Always a good one to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mine was that I was herding cats! Well, one cat really, mine. As I was heading up the street, I heard the lovely sounds of cats having a set-to and saw my cat being chased up the road in the opposite direction to my house. I managed to catch up with her (before she got to a busy road) and shoo her back towards home which took me about half an hour of coaxing to get her as far as the top of my street.

I was about an hour late and nobody believed me! I had to do an extra hour to make up for it and got home to a cat loudly complaining that I wasn't back at the usual time to fetch her dinner.

Your boss was not a cat person (therefore not understanding that you actually have two bosses). Were it me, you'd have gotten a raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Can't really be late as we don't do the whole fixed start and finish times, people come in when they want within reason. I was in early this morning (8:50) and had to turn the lights on in the large open plan office, not a sinner to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E99xe-uGq0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

Half an hour drive to work.
    Get out of car.
    Look down.
    Wearing odd shoes.
    Drive home again to change.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Today only; because GTA V PC.

Worst excuse I have used was 'I was in a car crash', slept it out and missed a flight-so it had to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

One of the lads out on the piss the night before rang in sick at 4 in the morning with a dose of the scutters...camein at 7.30 forgot he rang insaying that he was going to be late because he forgot to set his alarm...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I was late for work once because my son, who was then 3, locked me out of the house. I went outside to the car to get something and he closed the door. I couldn't get back in, the place was locked up tight. I had to call over to my neighbour (in my fetching fleece dressing gown and socks!!) and ask him if I could use his phone so I could ring my then husband to leave work and open the door for me. 20 minutes later I got back in and my little fecker was happily sitting in front of the TV eating dry cornflakes out of the box.

This same child once locked me into the hotpress and also my mother in law out of her car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Your lad has a prosperous career in the prison service ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A seagull shat on me outside Arnotts a few weeks back

You arnott serious :(

anncoates wrote: »
    You arnott serious :(

taaaaaaaaxi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

rocky911 wrote: »
    taaaaaaaaxi

Are you implying that my puns are hackneyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

rocky911 wrote: »
    One of the lads out on the piss the night before rang in sick at 4 in the morning with a dose of the scutters...camein at 7.30 forgot he rang insaying that he was going to be late because he forgot to set his alarm...

I worked with a girl who had the utterly genius notion to phone in sick after overdoing it at a girl's night on the town. However, she jumped the gun somewhat and phoned up work at 3 am while still blind drunk. The entire floor was brought into the manager's office to listen a voicemail of her slurred excuse as she meandered all over the place while trying to decide whether it was flu or an upset stomach that had her at home sick.

When she turned up the next day, it was played once more for her embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nobody say they did a shart on the bus/train/LUAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

One guy in our office had phoned his boss at 9am to tell her he had eaten something dodgy and wouldn't be in to work as he was sick. While the excuse was not very entertaining the team leaders response that she understood because he had phoned her 5 hours earlier waking her up in bed with the same call was very entertaining for the rest of us especially considering he got so drunk because it was an office party the night before with a free bar that got him into the state where he can't remember.

edit - Damn you Going Strong be beating me with your similar story!

One I personally used was that my bike got a puncture when I was cycling in...parked my car up the road from the office and threw my head under the tap to make it look like a showered in the changing area like I normally would if cycling...2 years later none the wiser..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

kfallon wrote: »
    Nobody say they did a shart on the bus/train/LUAS?

But had they to take the Red Line? That should always be a more mitigating factor. Always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

If I'm late, I'm not coming in.

Never late for work, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Told the boss over the phone I am sick,ask me how sick I was,told me I was in bed with my sister

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Corvo

Friend of mine rang the office one day and told them his electricity went the night before, and that he couldnt come in because he couldn't iron his shirt.

This was one week after being made permanent in there, following a few months on Jobbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

We had an office in Dame Street, Dublin and a girl who worked for us lived in Christchurch and used to walk to work.

One morning, she strolled into the office 10 minutes late. I popped my head into the office and asked why she was late.

Her reply?

Traffic

Advertisement