Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey Woods & Hellfire - Boardsies Social Run Sunday 26th July

Options
  • 09-04-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

Just to mark your dance cards with this one ;) No clue of route yet so if anyone knows the area and would like to take the lead on this one please post up. Otherwise it might be a bit of an adventure :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good woman. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Rough idea of distance and pace ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Pace will be easy. Not sure of distance yet but maybe 10k or thereabouts ?

I'll post up more info after I've had a chance to recce a route but the last couple of runs have been social in nature, suitable for all paces with plenty of photo stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Pace will be easy. Not sure of distance yet but maybe 10k or thereabouts ?

I'll post up more info after I've had a chance to recce a route but the last couple of runs have been social in nature, suitable for all paces with plenty of photo stops.

If you start at the back of Marlay Park it's about 2 miles on roads to the start of Massey's wood, so that's another 4 miles to add in if you are not already counting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you start at the back of Marlay Park it's about 2 miles on roads to the start of Massey's wood, so that's another 4 miles to add in if you are not already counting it.

I think that was meno's way of volunteering his services as tour guide ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lol menopause running in the mountains...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Lol menopause running in the mountains...

Hold on there; you're a local now, surely you can be the tour guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Why not just start in hellfire woods car park and save the boring and dangerous road bit ? There's plenty of running around without resorting to roads.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Why not just start in hellfire woods car park and save the boring and dangerous road bit ? There's plenty of running around without resorting to roads.

Yup, this is a trail run so we'll be looking to avoid the roads. As I said if anyone would like to lead this one they're more than welcome !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I wouldn't lead but I'll definitely follow. As in I'd love to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Any idea or preferences on time?

wrstan wrote: »
    Any idea or preferences on time?

Nothing fixed yet but likely to be around the 9.30/10.00 mark. The Hellfire car park can be a bit erratic in its opening hours so it may depend on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

count me in, I'm on a mission to conquer hills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

The IMRA Hellfire is a decent route and 5km.

imra.ie/events/view/id/1232

I'd recommend just going up the road to Tibradden. Car park is open and it's 100% trail run. Better views, more bang for your buck. About 5 miles to Fairycastle and back.

The roads around Hellfire are very busy. Here's the Dublin mountain plod route. It shows you the route from Marley into the back of Massey's. About 2.5 miles of road.

connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/41208008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Parking at Hellfire is a brilliant place for a social run.
    Up to the Hellfire Club by the fireroad to warm up, stunning views over Dublin, back down the steep way to fire up the juices, across the road into Masseys, down to the bottom of Masseys, up the left edge all the way to the top, cross the road, into Cruagh, up the fireroad of Cruagh until you meet the boardwalk section on your right, up that, right turn and a lovely run back down the edge of Cruagh until you meet the green metal steps you used to enter Cruagh.

Back down the edge of Masseys (this way the right edge) and at the first junction take the left and go down the other side of the river taking note of the name plates describing the types of trees therein and then back across to the entrance and your cars.

To finish - a well deserved coffee in the Timbertrove cafe, and possibly a garden ornament :)

The other social run is the olde Monday Plod route. Park at Taylors, run along to the Kilmashogue underpass, up the WW to Fairy Castle, down through Ticknock and back to Taylors and possibly a sneaky pint in place of the coffee

edit : there are loads of mini paths and interesting side trails in Masseys and a looping fireroad around the back of Hellfire as well to lengthen the route if required
    edit 2 : https://app.strava.com/activities/283160223 is the loop I describe

Peterx wrote: »
    Parking at Hellfire is a brilliant place for a social run.
    Up to the Hellfire Club by the fireroad to warm up, stunning views over Dublin, back down the steep way to fire up the juices, across the road into Masseys, down to the bottom of Masseys, up the left edge all the way to the top, cross the road, into Cruagh, up the fireroad of Cruagh until you meet the boardwalk section on your right, up that, right turn and a lovely run back down the edge of Cruagh until you meet the green metal steps you used to enter Cruagh.

Back down the edge of Masseys (this way the right edge) and at the first junction take the left and go down the other side of the river taking note of the name plates describing the types of trees therein and then back across to the entrance and your cars.

To finish - a well deserved coffee in the Timbertrove cafe, and possibly a garden ornament :)

The other social run is the olde Monday Plod route. Park at Taylors, run along to the Kilmashogue underpass, up the WW to Fairy Castle, down through Ticknock and back to Taylors and possibly a sneaky pint in place of the coffee

edit : there are loads of mini paths and interesting side trails in Masseys and a looping fireroad around the back of Hellfire as well to lengthen the route if required

Brilliant suggestions, thanks very much. Would you have a rough estimate of the distance of the first route you describe ?

I love the Timbertrove Cafe, I may purchase a garden gnome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Actually, I'd go with Peter's suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Whichever route, it needs to be straightforward as we will very possibly split into groups going at different paces...don't want *any particular* group taking in extra hills ;):D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Whichever route, it needs to be straightforward as we will very possibly split into groups going at different paces...don't want *any particular* group taking in extra hills ;):D
    Ha ha haaaaa that group clearly need to chat less & pay attention :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

You can't really get lost. From the carpark just keep following the path up and you'll get to the hellfire building. Masseys is fairly small so you'll easly find your way around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

gerard_65 wrote: »
    You can't really get lost.

Famous last words. Had those words ringing in my ears as I headed off on a run in Girona recently. Was supposed to be 6 miles, ended up being 14. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Famous last words. Had those words ringing in my ears as I headed off on a run in Girona recently. Was supposed to be 6 miles, ended up being 14. :eek:

Was FBOT01 acting as your guide? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Brilliant suggestions, thanks very much. Would you have a rough estimate of the distance of the first route you describe ?

I love the Timbertrove Cafe, I may purchase a garden gnome :D

https://app.strava.com/activities/283160223
    12.2k but cutting out the Hellfire loop would bring it under 10k
    Or cutting out the cruagh loop would do something similar.

Peterx wrote: »
    https://app.strava.com/activities/283160223
    12.2k but cutting out the Hellfire loop would bring it under 10k
    Or cutting out the cruagh loop would do something similar.

Brilliant, thanks for that, much appreciated. This is the route we'll be following folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Hellfire always tempting, and mention of Timbertrove seals the deal :)

Apologies, but doing to have to bail on this one :(. We just got the confirmed dates for our M&T team summer league races and there's a clash unfortunately.

Is anyone in a position to make the final arrangements for this run based on Peterx's map and route description ? I would have been going pretty much blind into this one too, so there's really no pressure ;)

Apologies, but doing to have to bail on this one :(. We just got the confirmed dates for our M&T team summer league races and there's a clash unfortunately.

Is anyone in a position to make the final arrangements for this run based on Peterx's map and route description ? I would have been going pretty much blind into this one too, so there's really no pressure ;)

are these the ones we were talking about? I won't make it either then if there's a M&T race on although we haven't been given any dates still...

Firedance wrote: »
    are these the ones we were talking about? I won't make it either then if there's a M&T race on although we haven't been given any dates still...

Yup, just go them last night: 29/4 5K Lucan 7.30pm, 10/5 5K Ballyboden 11am and 20/5 4m Phoenix Pk 7.45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yup, just go them last night: 29/4 5K Lucan 7.30pm, 10/5 5K Cherryfield Park, Knocklyon 11am and 20/5 4m Phoenix Pk 7.45pm

fyp :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

We could switch it until the following weekend if it suited people better?

Advertisement