Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Connacht, Sat 28 March 5:15pm; Sky Sports

Options
  • 27-03-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Munster: Felix Jones; Keith Earls, Andrew Smith, Denis Hurley - capt., Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams;
    John Ryan, Eusebio Guinazu, Stephen Archer; Donncha O'Callaghan, Billy Holland; Dave O'Callaghan, Tommy O'Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, Dave Kilcoyne, BJ Botha, Paddy Butler, Jack O'Donoghue, Neil Cronin, JJ Hanrahan, Ronan O'Mahony.

Connacht:

15. Tiernan O’Halloran
    14. Darragh Leader
    13. Danie Poolman
    12. Craig Ronaldson
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Tom McCartney
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Aly Muldowney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. George Naoupu

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Eoin McKeon
    21. John Cooney
    22. Shane O’Leary
    23. Conor Finn

Unavailable/Injured: Jason Harris-Wright, Sean Henry, Nathan White, Michael Swift, Mata Fifita, Willie Faloon, Jake Heenan, Bundee Aki, Robbie Henshaw, Dave McSharry, Niyi Adeolokun, Mils Muliaina.

With five rounds to play in the Pro12 Munster's last regular season home game at Thomond Park sees the visit of neighbours Connacht. Munster are currently in a strong position in the table and with Glasgow and Ulster's tricky end of season run-in Munster should expect to finish in the top two and secure a home semi-final. With no European playoff participation for the first time Munster will be able to put all their focus on winning their first league title since 2011.

Connacht's goal of reaching the Champions Cup next season looks a difficult task with the remaining fixtures to come and Scarlets and Edinburgh hot on their heels. The heart breaking loss to Cardiff has left little breathing room for the province. A 7th place finish looks more likely than 6th place and automatic qualification.

An interesting side note to the match will be the presence of Leighton Hodges in the middle, someone who won't be on the top of Pat Lam's Christmas card list.

Referee: Leighton Hodges (WRU, 49th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Mark Patton, Jonathan Peak (both IRFU)
    Citing Commissioner: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)
    TMO: Kevin Beggs (IRFU )

Who will win? 3 votes

Pat Lam
    0% 0 votes
    Leighton Hodges
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Munster should win this pretty easily. I'm hearing the team and bench will be very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No excuse to post the team in the team thread folks. :p

Connacht by 6 to put Leinster under stupid amounts of pressure in the run in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

An interesting side note to the match will be the presence of Leighton Hodges in the middle, someone who won't be on the top of Pat Lam's Christmas card list.

This can only end in either:
    Connacht fans: "F**king Hodges shafting us again cos of what happened in Cardiff, it's an outrage" OR
    Munster fans: "F**king Hodges, giving Connacht everything cos of what happened in Cardiff, it's an outrage"

Anyhoo, hard to see past a Munster win if Connacht are still without some key players.

This can only end in either:
    Connacht fans: "F**king Hodges shafting us again cos of what happened in Cardiff, it's an outrage" OR
    Munster fans: "F**king Hodges, giving Connacht everything cos of what happened in Cardiff, it's an outrage"

Anyhoo, hard to see past a Munster win if Connacht are still without some key players.

I think the centres is where Munster can really make hay. We have been able to select Hurley and Earls in the last few matches whereas Connacht will be without Aki and McSharry and I assume Henshaw will be rested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

.... on that note.

No abuse of refs will be tolerated (or of anyone, for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

feck watching it on sly sports the tickets are dirt cheap why not head over and see the game.. im heading with all the family will be a great day out after winning the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I think the centres is where Munster can really make hay. We have been able to select Hurley and Earls in the last few matches whereas Connacht will be without Aki and McSharry and I assume Henshaw will be rested.

Henshaw can't play under the IRFU Player Management Programme (starting 15 can't play the week after an international match).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Yeah Connacht will be weak outside 9 really, great wingers but getting the ball to them is the problem. on a side note my first Connacht Munster match in Thomond

daithi55 wrote: »
    feck watching it on sly sports the tickets are dirt cheap why not head over and see the game.. im heading with all the family will be a great day out after winning the 6 nations

Plenty of tickets available anyway:
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/guinness-pro12-munster-rugby-v-limerick-city-03-28-2015/event/18004D98A65A6C2A?artistid=33318&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=225

You have to laugh at the €60 single tickets in the middle of the stand. I can't see them getting sold! I understand the benefits of a pricing model but putting single tickets at €60?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Have to make amends for that awful performance in Galway, no excuses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/guinness-pro12-munster-rugby-v-limerick-city-03-28-2015/event/18004D98A65A6C2A?artistid=33318&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=225

You have to laugh at the €60 single tickets in the middle of the stand. I can't see them getting sold! I understand the benefits of a pricing model but putting single tickets at €60?

Apparently there were 17,000 sold as of yesterday. Hopefully with a good KO time and the buzz of the 6 Nations the 5000 ST holders who normally don't bother will actually turn up.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Have to make amends for that awful performance in Galway, no excuses.
    Nope, don't remember that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

i paid twenty for mine in the east terrace north its sold out now its the best spot at pitch side
    see the other terraces are 26 now have they put them up in price... is it possible

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

daithi55 wrote: »
    i paid twenty for mine in the east terrace north its sold out now its the best spot at pitch side
    see the other terraces are 26 now have they put them up in price... is it possible

Yes. Dynamic pricing model is being used.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Team's in.

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 49s49 seconds ago

MunXV v Connacht: Jones; Earls, Smith, Hurley(c), Zebo; Keats, Williams; Ryan, Guinazu, Archer; DO’C, Holland; DaveO’C, TO’D, CJ

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 25s25 seconds ago

Replacements: Casey, Kilcoyne, Botha, Butler, O’Donoghue, NCronin, Hanrahan, RO’Mahony. #MunVCon

I'm pretty happy with that. Strongest available selection.

I would much prefer Earls at 13 with ROM on the wing, Hurley and Earls in the centre were very good during the international window.

No Conway in the 23 is a surprise, it looks like ROM is ahead of him.

Connacht:

15. Tiernan O’Halloran
    14. Darragh Leader
    13. Danie Poolman
    12. Craig Ronaldson
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Tom McCartney
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Aly Muldowney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. George Naoupu

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Eoin McKeon
    21. John Cooney
    22. Shane O’Leary
    23. Conor Finn

Many key players missing for Connacht. This should be a comfortable win for Munster tbh.

Donnacha Ryan?

Donnacha Ryan?
    Concussion after the A match vs Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nope, don't remember that one.

Here, let me refresh your memory ;)

I feel an old fashioned hosing is on the cards tomorrow.

Not optimistic about this one, missing too many frontline players, playing some out of position, weak at 10. Feel we'll have the upper hand at scrum time - until Munster use their bench, which is much stronger. Wet day forecast which could help as it will curtail open back play, where Munster have the edge on paper from 10-15. Buckley to school Archer but Munster to win, Hodges to display his ineptitude again. Still undecided whether to head down to this one, haven't missed it in years but just have a feeling we're not going to get anything tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Going down for a piss up, have zero expectations, be nice to see the two 6 Nations trophies..
    Our two second rows been playing great stuff, with them and Masterson have three good ball carriers

Can see CJ scoring for Munster

PS:
    What's with the lack of tables in the OP Thomond?!
    #HodgesConspiracy

wprathead wrote: »
    PS:
    #HodgesConspiracy
    You've guessed it! :eek:

wprathead wrote: »
    PS:
    #HodgesConspiracy

Thomond2006 has never been seen in the same room as Leighton Hodges. True story...

;)

You've guessed it! :eek:

you're inconsistency with team format gave it away:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm not a huge fan of Smith & Hurley in the centre, they are quite similar and it means neither can flourish. Hurley has looked way better since Earls has come back, since Earls is much better suited to taking advantage of his offloads. I imagine Smith would look better outside someone like JJ too. Together, they can be quite one-dimensional.

No Conway is a bit of a surpirse, ROM must have passed him in the pecking order. I would also have played one of Killer & Botha, probably Killer. Strong bench though. We should be winning really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Its a bit of a farce that hodges was left as the ref was this, hes compromised before the ball is kicked from a connacht and munster point of view and he doesnt have the refereeing talent to be able to handle it

Our greatest asset from the win in Jan, our centres, is gone and tbh i think Munster are a stronger team overall.

Advertisement