Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community [US] **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Basq wrote: »
    The first episode had it's moments, but the second episode was just horrific (even worse than "Gas Leak" level of bad)!

that's load of bollocks imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I think you need to ask yourself truly, is Yahoo! Screen a Television channel or is Yahoo! Screen an internet content provider, that provides content ONLINE? Only then will you know the answer to your question.

Scared_troy_community.gif

After really strong opening two episodes, gotta say was disappointed with episode 3

yet to see the merit in Keith David's character yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

No Community episode will ever be worse than the muppets episode.

Going to watch episode 3 now. Been forcing myself through season 8 of the office, so at least I know it can't possibly be the worst thing I'll have watched today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Episode 3 was okay. I love Annie, and she doesn't get the focus very much, so I was looking forward to this Annie-centric episode. But, I feel like every year they recycle the "Annie wants to transfer to City College but then doesn't go" plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

I liked the first two episodes, better than some of Season 4 & 5 anyway. Haven't seen the third yet.
    But it does annoy me how ridiculous Britta has become. I only really noticed when I started watching it from the beginning on Netflix.

I really hated Jonathan Banks so I'm glad he's gone. I know everyone loves him because of BB, but I just thought he didn't belong at all and it was a forced addition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I liked the first two episodes, better than some of Season 4 & 5 anyway. Haven't seen the third yet.
    But it does annoy me how ridiculous Britta has become. I only really noticed when I started watching it from the beginning on Netflix.

I really hated Jonathan Banks so I'm glad he's gone. I know everyone loves him because of BB, but I just thought he didn't belong at all and it was a forced addition.

Or maybe everyone loved him because they figured his character was a good one in his own right? I haven't even watched Breaking Bad past season 2 so didn't really care that Banks was in it; I liked Hickey because he was a good character and a more rounded 'crotchety old man' type than Pearse was.

Gotta be honest, can't see how season 5 is lumped in with the fourth run, seemed like a return to form to me and a much superior season generally.

I was a fan of Hickey too, and not just because he was played by Jonathan Banks. He was a good "straight man" for the rest of the cast, and I think his addition gave the season a bit of grounding in reality (something which had been missing, especially in season 4). He had good chemistry with the cast too.

I enjoyed episode 3. Annie was great - I really had grown to dislike her character the last few seasons but enjoying her input so far this season. Enjoyed the main plot and side-story with the Dean/Japanese kid. Jesus though, what is with the absolutely terrible writing for Britta?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No Community episode will ever be worse than the muppets episode.

Going to watch episode 3 now. Been forcing myself through season 8 of the office, so at least I know it can't possibly be the worst thing I'll have watched today.

The highlight of season 4 (which isn't saying a whole lot, admittedly) in my opinion. Loved the songs....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I watched the newest episode and I don't remember there being anything particularly funny in it.

Actually think Frankie stands out a bit as a good character, and keeping Chang a little more subdued makes him far funnier.

The Dean/Jeffrey phone thing was funny, and then it was used again, and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I actually thought episode 3 was better than 2 (other than the fact that they didn't seem to know what to do with Britta).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Just watched the first 3 eps of s6

IMHO I think that the writing has improved on s5.

For one, I really hope they go for the 6 seasons and a movie.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This should be in the Online TV forum. It's an insult and disrespectful to the good name of that forum not having it there.
    I think you need to ask yourself truly, is Yahoo! Screen a Television channel or is Yahoo! Screen an internet content provider, that provides content ONLINE? Only then will you know the answer to your question.

Is Sony TV not a TV channel :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is Sony TV not a TV channel :confused:

It's shown on Sony TV here in Ireland and the UK, but it's home in the US is a new(ish) online platform known as YAHOO! SCREEN which is similar to Netflix, Hulu and the like...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

Ok, I've seen the 3rd episode and I thought it was pretty useless. Liked the first two though, so hopefully this was just a blip!

Definitely a weaker episode but I can see the potential. It's like everything's still waiting to click into place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The best of the three episodes so far, but bottle episodes tend to be easier to maintain a tight narrative focus anyway; things still felt lukewarm or just plain undercooked. The texting joke was funny but just got overused, nor I'm not completely sold on Frankie but to be fair she has slotted into the team fairly well. The Britta sequences were just ... well, Britta'ed.

I also noticed after watching the third episode was 3 minutes shorter than the previous; seems like a minor detail to consider, but it made the episode closer to network TV running length and everything had a brisker pace.

So far, it's all very 'meh'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'll point out the same thing about S6 of Community that I did about Kimmy Schmidt - you're looking at a TV show that is transitioning into a new model (admittedly still on a weekly release schedule). I'd give the writers a chance to find their legs on the new style of writing a not only non-network, but non-TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It feels bizarre to say again, but Chang was again the funniest part of the episode. And Jeff, Annie and Britta still feel like they're just phoning it in.

A few laughs here and there throughout, but while I'm okay with giving allowances for their transition period, things need to start picking up in the next two episodes.

I'll point out the same thing about S6 of Community that I did about Kimmy Schmidt - you're looking at a TV show that is transitioning into a new model (admittedly still on a weekly release schedule). I'd give the writers a chance to find their legs on the new style of writing a not only non-network, but non-TV show.

I dunno, I don't see anything that differentiates Community season 6 from standard broadcast media; something like Arrested Development's season 4 at least structured itself to match Netflix's release format; arguably it was a show that worked best binge-watched rather than a weekly fashion.

• Advertisement

If you're talking about the way every episode was focused on one character I read that that was more to do with scheduling issues with the cast.

With regard to Community I think the cast changes and how they came about have undoubtedly affected the show. Season 5 began with the majority of the cast still intact and it was much easier to integrate Hickey into the group, Duncan and Chang being already pretty well established. Season 6 however began with Shirley, Duncan and Hockey gone straight off the bat so you have Frankie and Ellroy thrown in as direct replacements, I think it's only natural that that transition is going to be slightly more difficult.

A general question, do we know did the entire NBC writing staff transfer over to Yahoo?

If you're talking about the way every episode was focused on one character I read that that was more to do with scheduling issues with the cast.

Yes, they had trouble getting all the cast together, so there was a lot of green-screen and convenient backs of heads, but I was mostly talking about how the approach of the season felt more like one giant story, split into fifteen 30-minute vignettes. It didn't really have the traditional beat of a TV show, serialized or otherwise, and felt like something that could have only existed on a service like Netflix where there was no pressure to keep the viewers hooked into coming back next week.

A general question, do we know did the entire NBC writing staff transfer over to Yahoo?

nope, only a few of them. but, it had changed a lot over the years anyway.

Absolutely wonderful episode. Especially loved the way they handled the Dean's sexuality. And gay issues in general. Chang in the karate kid was so good! Then the birds dying was quite touching. Community really is back.

:confused: was Britta even in this episode?

I previously said I didn't see point of Keith David's character, but he was excellent in this episode, his character worked well with Abed

His "Donkey Kong ripped me off" bit was great, as was:
    "What we up to now, mega bytes?"
    "Tera"
    "..Tera.. They did it those bastards, they finally did it.."

I loved this weeks episode so much! It was one of the best in years.
    It definitely needed the 30 minutes, rather than 22.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Some great praise for this, looking forward to it! ;)

That was a fantastic episode! It was funny, heartwarming and silly, like a great Community episode should be. Good to see the school board guys back and Annie Kim too. Chang as Mr Miyagi, oh my god. Also the Dean feeling unhappy about being thought of as gay when he is neither gay nor straight... ahh! Just was great to have representation of a non-gay queer person on tv <3 Also Abed being sad because moving the nest might mean the mother wouldn't come back...

Also Milady Milord made this J/A shipper smile. I know most of you on here hate it though :p

That was a fantastic episode! It was funny, heartwarming and silly, like a great Community episode should be. Good to see the school board guys back and Annie Kim too. Chang as Mr Miyagi, oh my god. Also the Dean feeling unhappy about being thought of as gay when he is neither gay nor straight... ahh! Just was great to have representation of a non-gay queer person on tv <3 Also Abed being sad because moving the nest might mean the mother wouldn't come back...

Also Milady Milord made this J/A shipper smile. I know most of you on here hate it though :p

Totally agree with all you said!

It was a perfect episode anyway, but then the "Milady/Milord" was absolutely the icing on the cake :D (also a J/A shipper here :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I am shocked that after what 3 and a bit seasons they actually found something genuine to do with Chang.

Enjoying this season so far.

though I keep forgetting we have a new thread now...*grumble grumble*

Advertisement