Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Ik heb een baan gekregen!! :D
    Translation: I got a job!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

An File wrote: »
    I've been in Galway 3 times in the last 3 weeks. :) Went to see a Limerick band playing there on Tuesday. :pac: But the first of the three nights was awful wet. I got drenched walking from Wood Quay down towards the Spanish Arch. Must've looked like a madman when I got to the Salt House. :D

The Salt House is possibly my favourite pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I was born in Galway and I much prefer Dublin, tbh. They're both far nicer Cities than Cork anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Macavity. wrote: »
    I was born in Galway and I much prefer Dublin, tbh. They're both far nicer Cities than Cork anyway.

You're only saying that 'cos you're intimidated by our awesomeness like.

One thing we can surely all agree on though, Limerick's a kip. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You're only saying that 'cos you're intimidated by our awesomeness like.

ah Limericks grand. All the cities are grand. Rural places are the kips. Although that's mainly cause the govt. Don't seem to want to put any money into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

deise_girl wrote: »
    Lol
    Whoever thought a "cute day" was possible in Gorey but aww

youre hardly from gorey are ya ? :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

LoveLamps wrote: »
    youre hardly from gorey are ya ? :o

God no!!

I'd know a few from there though, are you Gorey yourself?

God no!!

I'd know a few from there though, are you Gorey yourself?

It's a good thing I'm not or I might get offended! Nah I'm not same as you really

It's a good thing I'm not or I might get offended! Nah I'm not same as you really

What college year are you in?
    When we know the same people.. lol

What college year are you in?
    When we know the same people.. lol

First, might know one or two in second tho

• Advertisement

First, might know one or two in second tho

Lol I know 2nd years but one or two that'd be in first

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You, sir, have made a powerful enemy this night!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Limerick is lovely when all the students are gone.

But the catch 22 is that Limerick is dead once the students are gone because students make up like 70% of the population.

And come on lads, it is fairly kip-y in places... :P

============

WE GOT A NEW INTERNET PROVIDER WHO ISN'T A MOBILE PHONE NETWORK! No more buffering on YouTube videos! They play in real time! Wooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Ah Limerick isn't all that bad......spoken as one of those students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

As an outsider i like limerick. It has a touch of London in the air. several people have said it to me. if you look for it you will see it. its that main street where the city is. its the busy pockets that immerse you into the heart of it. you have the night life like any city its going to be mixed depending on your view. and then on the sunny evening you have an amazing skyline that mirrors the sun over the river.

you will argue that Dublin is more like London than Limerick. that of course is your opinion. As a Londoner i dislike Dublin and merely see it as a wannabe London imo. But in saying all that i have seen the bad side to Limerick. I have watched friends end up from the top to the lowest depths all because the city is too small and everyone talks. Not to mention its image it will probably not shake in my lifetime

Jhcx wrote: »
    As an outsider i like limerick. It has a touch of London in the air.
    I have a cousin from north of London who compared it to Newcastle when he came to visit last year. He spent a few years up in that part of England.

The star and the other rags have a lot to answer for Re: Limericks reputation. Considering that things were always much worse in Dublin.

Dell have a lot to answer for too after pulling out. Fewer jobs fewer prospects for people. Lack of any kind of future leaves this lovely town with one hell of a suicide rate among those our age.

And imro as well . Basically bankrupting Bourkes causing it to shut and ruining my Friday nights.

feckers

Limerick deserved its negative reputation for gangland violence. It was really bad from the early 00's right up to around 07/08, much worse than Dublin considering the two cities' populations. Thankfully, it seems to have gotten better recently.

Ah Junco come on, Dell are a private business, it's not their responsibility to provide jobs to the area in fairness. It was a bad blow to the area, but tbh if a company wants to leave, that's their call. They've nothing to answer for really.

I'd agree on the reputation though. It's really not as bad as it's made out to be. I can't imagine it's any worse than other cities nowadays. The stab city days are thankfully mostly gone.

Ah Junco come on, Dell are a private business, it's not their responsibility to provide jobs to.

That may be but it should be. Companies pull out of these areas and move to third world countries. Which would be fine. People in those countries need work too. But companies don't exactly pay those well. Cheap labour lower overheads. Exploitation. More money sitting in Dell's bank accounts. Just sitting. little investment back into local ecomonies. Using every loophole they can to pay as little tax as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Dell and stuff and things.

And that's the way the world works. My naivety and innocence are long gone. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Using every loophole they can to pay as little tax as possible.

Well sure thats one of the main reasons a lot of companies invest in Ireland in the first place. Our low corporate tax rate. If we had it on the same level as other EU countries not 1/10th of the MNCs with HQs and factories and offices in Ireland atm would be located here.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    . If we had it on the same level as other EU countries not 1/10th of the MNCs with HQs and factories and offices in Ireland atm would be located here.

The corporate version of that annoying kid we all knew when we were children. Who dropped the "I'm taking my ball and going home!" when they didn't get their way.
    It's their right to do it but it doesn't make it right.

That's capitalism tbh. Expecting companies to have a social conscience is very naive. In the vast, vast majority of cases, the sole goal is profit. In a capitalist culture, companies should be exploiting every loophole possible to maximise profit. Why should a private company pay a higher amount of tax if they can avoid it? Why should they pay reasonable wages when there are places where they can easily get away with not doing so? It's governments' responsibility to close loopholes and enact decent employment legislation. As sickening and all as it is to see what companies like Apple get away with, they're just products of the environment.

ANYWAY, back to a yaaah, I just wrote my first cheque. I feel so grown up!

And to make it even better, it's not even coming out of my own account! #TreasurerLife

Despite the many complaints about "capitalism" and what have you from the bearded Che Guevara t-shirt wearer types, we actually live in one of the most centre left countries in the world in terms of economic policy.

As previously pointed out, the low corporate tax rate has done wonders for the Irish economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

We need to enforce a strict system of Anarchism. It's the only way

2 pints for six quid. Monaghan has some positives. 12 quids worth might make the accent sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Well sure thats one of the main reasons a lot of companies invest in Ireland in the first place. Our low corporate tax rate. If we had it on the same level as other EU countries not 1/10th of the MNCs with HQs and factories and offices in Ireland atm would be located here.

a decade ago maybe. right now due to the fact we're english speaking and are cemented firmly in the EU we're at a massive advantage with regards to american firms compared to even the UK.

A lot of central European countries have better English than we do. :pac:

• Advertisement

first night back in limerick after two weeks working in monaghan. Living out of a b and b and eating at work has left my stomach in bits.

The joy I feel tonight simply because I got to cook a proper dinner is immense.

Advertisement