Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    What does God need with a gulf stream?

Extra leg room and a larger bar I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

What does God need with a gulf stream?

The same reason he needs a star ship. To get around the place at ludicrous speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The parish of St Nicholas in Limerick is stepping it up a gear, I wonder what the God of lost keys and exam passes is supposed to do? will loads of "yes" voters catch the flu on the day or lose temporary possession of their hand in the booth?

http://www.saintnicholasparish.ie/2015/03/54-day-rosary-novena-for-ireland-2015/

54 Day Rosary Novena for Ireland 2015
    Ireland requests worldwide prayer for the protection of the sanctity of marriage. We ask for your prayers that Ireland as a nation, willuphold the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman in the upcoming referendum.
    We need to turn to mary, our Blessed Mother to be with us at this time of great need. We ask you to pray the Rosary for 54 consecutive days for this intention. The first 27 days – beginning 17 march – will be said in petition and end on the Feast of Devine Mercy on Sunday 12 April.
    The second 27 days are said in thanksgiving and will commence on Monday 13 April and end on Saturday 9 May.
    All you do is pray 5 decades each day and include the intention. Also if possible, bring this intention to Holy Mass. Feel free to .prayerforireland2015@gmail.com to join this worldwide petition.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

silverharp wrote: »
    The parish of St Nicholas in Limerick is stepping it up a gear, I wonder what the God of lost keys and exam passes is supposed to do? will loads of "yes" voters catch the flu on the day or lose temporary possession of their hand in the booth?

Dear me, they must be getting desperate! 5 decades a day for 54 days!!

Helpful of them to provide an email address all the same..... .prayerforireland2015@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Interesting that they should invoke the most famous single mom/adulteress in history to protect the family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

I must be losing my memory...I can't think of a SINGLE one man/one woman married couple from the bible, either Old or New Testament. Anyone want to help me out here?

I must be losing my memory...I can't think of a SINGLE one man/one woman married couple from the bible, either Old or New Testament. Anyone want to help me out here?

Sure :) Deuteronomy 22:28-29 states: “If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.” In other words, you break it, you buy it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Shrap wrote: »
    Helpful of them to provide an email address all the same.....

Do dey not realise that de email is de invention of Satan.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It makes you wonder how people can be separated from their hard earned so easily.

http://www.hollywoodtake.com/creflo-dollar-plane-project-shocking-high-net-worth-wont-pay-gulfstream-650-private-jet-he-75990
    CREFLO DOLLAR PLANE PROJECT SHOCKING? HIGH NET WORTH WON'T PAY FOR GULFSTREAM 650 PRIVATE JET - HE WANTS FOLLOWERS TO FUND $65 MILLION! [...] “We are asking members, partners, and supporters of this ministry to assist in acquiring in acquiring a Gulfstream G650 airplane so that Pastors Creflo and [wife] Taffi and World Changers Church International can continue to blanket the globe with the Gospel of grace,” the Project G650 website says in part.
    Seems god spoke with Mr Dollar and now wishes Mr Dollar to travel by scheduled flight:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/creflo-dollar-shuts-down-campaign-for-65-million-jet-will-now-focus-on-spreading-the-gospel-135762/
    After a bruising weekend handling ferocious backlash over his campaign to acquire a $65 million Gulfstream G650 airplane with planned donations of $300 or more from 200,000 people, controversial televangelist and founder of World Changers Church International, Creflo Dollar has completely abandoned the idea and will only consider acquiring one in the future if it's "properly priced." "There is no campaign right now," said Juda Engelmayer of 5W Public Relations, who represents Creflo Dollar Ministries, in an interview with The Christian Post on Monday. The website hosting the campaign page was deactivated last week and an option to donate to the G650 campaign through the Creflo Dollar Ministries website was removed Monday afternoon. Dollar, who has an international ministry, was banking on raising enough money to buy the luxury jet to replace one owned by his ministry that was significantly damaged in an accident last November.

According to the National Transportation Safety Board, Dollar's "Gulfstream Aerospace G-1159A airplane, N103CD, had a nose landing gear collapse during a runway excursion at the London Biggin Hill Airport (EGKB), near London, United Kingdom," on Nov. 24, 2014, and "the airplane sustained substantial airframe damage." Since then, Dollar and his staff have been travelling "commercial," an option critics believe he should have simply continued to exercise instead of asking the public for money to purchase the luxury jet. It appears Dollar has somewhat taken that suggestion to heart. "He's gonna continue traveling commercial. And if and when he obtains another jet it's gonna be used for ministry purposes, just like the current one," said Engelmayer.

When asked if acquiring a jet is still something on the televangelist's radar, Engelmayer said: "If one comes along that is properly priced and is sufficient and workable perhaps, but right now there is nothing that they are looking at." Asked what the ministry considered a "properly priced" jet, he replied, "I don't know."

Engelmayer further explained that the now broken ministry plane has flown some 4 million miles in 16 years. Most of the trips made in the airplane were national flights. When it was used for international trips, he said, they transported hundreds of thousands of pounds of food and other supplies cumulatively. He was unable, however, to say how much cargo they transported on an annual basis. "They load the plane up with what it can handle," he said. Although not saying it in so many words, he acknowledged that the G650 campaign was a bad idea and they are now trying to move on.

"There is no campaign. It's a moot point. The ministry will now focus on spreading the Gospel," he said.

Here's the nicest hole you'll see all day - in HD.

The original is on Vimeo, here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Here's the nicest hole you'll see all day - in HD.
    A fantastic hidden world. I bet those dragons and unicorns described in the Old Testament are still living down there.

In case anybody remembers the cardinal who wasn't gone on gays but was mad for the male priests..............

"The Vatican announced Friday that a Scottish cardinal accused of sexual misconduct will lose all the rights and privileges of that high office following his resignation — the first time a cardinal has resigned since the 1920s.
    Cardinal Keith O’Brien was Britain’s senior Catholic cleric until he stepped down from his regular duties in 2013 after allegations surfaced that he had made sexual advances to a number of priests.

On Friday, the Vatican announced that O’Brien would be a cardinal in name only, won’t be allowed to participate in public religious events or have the privileges that cardinals do, such as voting for pope. However, O’Brien will retain the title of cardinal.
    The Tablet, a British Catholic publication, reported Friday that a church investigator’s report on the O’Brien case was “hot enough to burn the varnish” off the Pope’s desk"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/03/20/cardinal-steps-down-over-sexual-impropriety-allegations-a-first-for-a-cardinal-since-1927/?tid=sm_fb

Rapture Alert - March 20th - Solar Eclipse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Who let these people escape ? Priceless video- best laugh I had all week .I am going off now to pack for The Rapture , should I bring the gun and leave the cannoli or leave the gun and bring the cannoli ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Nodin wrote: »
    On Friday, the Vatican announced that O’Brien would be a cardinal in name only, won’t be allowed to participate in public religious events or have the privileges that cardinals do, such as voting for pope. However, O’Brien will retain the title of cardinal.
    Also he may still wear the red outfit, including the hat.
    But only if he stays inside the closet.
    BTW good choice of thread for the topic, Nodin.

recedite wrote: »
    Also he may still wear the red outfit, including the hat.
    But only if he stays inside the closet.
    BTW good choice of thread for the topic, Nodin.

Sure they couldn't take the red hat away...be like a death sentence.

San Francisco's catholic archbishop is forced by the liberal media to remove some showers which he'd kindly installed for the homeless in his diocese:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-church-douses-homeless-with-water-to-deter-sheltering-1.2146090
    Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.” – Proverbs 19:17 “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” – Matthew 25:35

St Mary’s Cathedral, home of the Catholic Archbishop of San Francisco, has been scrambling to explain itself after local media revealed that it had installed water sprinklers above its doorways that were dousing homeless people seeking shelter in the alcoves there. Officials of the archdiocese hastily began to dismantle the sprinklers after KCBS Radio revealed that homeless people and their belongings were routinely being soaked by the automated system.

The anti-homeless technique has been deployed outside commercial properties in several cities, including San Francisco, but its use by an institution devoted to the tradition of the good Samaritan is more contentious. Within hours of the story appearing, St Mary’s was insisting that the furore was all a “misunderstanding”. The spokesman for the archdiocese, Larry Kamer, stood on the steps of the cathedral and admitted that the sprinklers had been in place for “several years”, adding that they were used to deter homeless people from sheltering in the alcoves of the church.

“It was obviously never the church’s intention to actually douse homeless people with water,” he said. Water from the ceiling KCBS’s reporter witnessed water pouring from the church ceiling above the outside alcoves from a height of about 9m/30ft. It was set on an automated basis to run for about 75 seconds every hour or so through the night, drenching anyone or anything beneath it. “We’re going to be wet there all night, so hypothermia, cold, all that other stuff, could set in,” a homeless man called Robert told the radio station.

In a statement, the archdiocese said it was one of the largest supporters of services for the homeless in the city. “We are sorry that our intentions have been misunderstood and recognise that the method used was ill-conceived.” The statement said that the idea had been “not to remove those persons but to encourage them to relocate to other areas of the cathedral, which are protected and safer”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Given by my family's version of Popette to a sister of hers.

The rest of the family are just shaking their heads in quiet desperation.

11072126_10204053818085714_247072342_n_zps58kdj5yk.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/protesters-interrupt-repossession-hearings-with-holy-water-1.2150146
    Before suspending the court, the County Registrar told members of Land League West and Integrity Ireland that they were interrupting the court and that that was not acceptable.

A garda sergeant later asked for the court to be cleared so proceedings could resume at 12 pm. However, the protesters refused to leave on the grounds that they believed that if they did they would not be allowed back in again.

This stand-off was followed by unusual scenes, including the recitation of prayers by a female member of Land League West. The woman then sprinkled holy water on the courtroom floor.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

legspin wrote: »
    The rest of the family are just shaking their heads in quiet desperation.
    I've heard that guy referred to as "The Odious Nicolosi" - a chap with unpleasant views but what appears to be a complete and abiding fascination with male-on-male anal sex.
    legspin wrote: »
    Given by my family's version of Popette to a sister of hers.
    Sorry to hear you've a Popette - my sympathies :rolleyes:

Should be a support group for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    I've heard that guy referred to as "The Odious Nicolosi" - a chap with unpleasant views but what appears to be a complete and abiding fascination with male-on-male anal sex..

Actor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Now there's a bigot I haven't heard of in a long, long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I think posters are taking shifts in bogging down the thread , Nick must be on again soon .:)

marienbad wrote: »
    I think posters are taking shifts in bogging down the thread , Nick must be on again soon .:)
    The excellent subthread has been moved, fully-grown and fully-formed, to its own brand new thread here. Many thanks for everybody's passion and engagement!

And now back to our usual programming.

In a shock finding, the Irish Times reports that 93% of Irish parents baptise their kids but just 35% pray with them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/93-of-irish-parents-baptise-their-kids-but-just-35-pray-with-them-1.2151683
    Religion continues to play some part in the lives of the vast majority of Irish children. Just 3 per cent of parents of children under 13 say religion plays no role in their children’s upbringing. However, an Ipsos MRBI “Family Values” poll on behalf of The Irish Times also found that, while 93 per cent of parents with young children have had their children christened, a much lower percentage regularly pray or attend Mass with their children.

It also found that most Irish people do not believe baptised children should receive priority for spaces in their local school. The survey asked 231 respondents with children of 12 or under if they had had them baptised, and about the role of religion in their children’s lives. The results indicate that Baptism remains a priority for Irish parents. However, when it comes to everyday religious engagement the figures were much lower: just over a third of parents said they took their children to Mass regularly while a similar percentage said they prayed with their children regularly. Mothers are more likely than fathers to take children to Mass and to pray with them.

Younger parents are less likely than older parents to pray with their children. Among parents under 35, just 14 per cent said they brought their children to Mass regularly. However, parents under 35 are the most likely to have had their children baptised. Ninety-five per cent of them have done so. Relationship status is also an indicator of religious practice in families. Single parents are most likely to have had their children baptised (97 per cent) followed by married parents (94 per cent). Parents who described their relationship status as “living as married” are the least likely to have their children baptised, at 86 per cent. Parents who are divorced, separated or widowed are least likely to attend Mass with their children.

Beyond prayer and Mass-going, the survey showed small numbers of Irish children are participating in church activities in other ways. Ten per cent of parents said their children were in church choirs; 12 per cent said their children served as altar boys or altar girls. The Family Values poll asked 1,000 respondents if all children should have equal access to their local primary school or if priority should be given to baptised children.

The vast majority of people – of all ages, whether they had children or not – said all children should have equal access to school places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Also in the times, a column promoting the 'ah sure it's just a bit of fun' approach to First Communion: http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/children-should-dress-up-for-their-first-communion-1.2151679

The second article is cultural catholicism in a nutshell, it's all about the nice day out, and non-catholics don't exist so just assume absolutely everyone is exactly the same as you.

On the first:
    Just 3 per cent of parents of children under 13 say religion plays no role in their children’s upbringing.

You couldn't honestly say that if sending your child to a religious ethos school.
    They should have asked would you prefer if religion played no role in your child's upbringing :p

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-mp-gregory-campbell-wants-sale-of-ouija-boards-regulated-31094502.html
    The DUP's Gregory Campbell has been told that the Government has no plans to regulate the sale of Ouija boards.

The MP for East Londonderry asked the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills to regulate the sale of the 'spirit boards'.

Responding to the question on Monday Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson from the department, said that the government has no plans to regulate the sale of the items.

It is not the first time that Ouija boards issue has arisen with DUP members.

In the 2006 biography 'Iris: An Intimate Portrait'

(Don't worry, it's unlikely to live up to its title)
    the DUP leader Peter Robinson and his wife Iris recall a time when they suspected their home was haunted leading to the discovery of a board in their attic.

Iris said: "We were renting a house at Lenaghan, one of Belfast's quiet, residential areas. From the moment we moved in, I hated the place. I really can't explain the atmosphere but it was definitely eerie.

"I recall one time when I awoke to the sound of someone moving around downstairs. At first I just lay there listening. Then Peter wakened and, like me, he too heard the noise. We were certain there was an intruder."

Mr Robinson continued the story: "I assumed we had a burglar. I grabbed a stool and went to investigate. To my amazement, there was no one there. A few days later friends visited and they also heard noises. Yet, after searching the place, we discovered nothing.

"It was only when we were moving that we found things like Ouija boards in the attic. At some point the house had been a venue for occult practices. We were happy to leave."

Ahhhh, the DUP. Can ye imagine the chaos if they end up propping up some coalition across the water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Somebody should go around and teach the Paleolithic Unionist Party all about the ideomotor effect. Maybe they'll finally actually learn something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement