Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pres (mocks) do you correct your own?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

It's not about trust, it's about completely changing our role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    _

?

Terri26 wrote: »
    It's not about trust, it's about completely changing our role.

And what's wrong with that?

By marking their own mocks?

Not while the system is as it is now. No need for "mocks" under the new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The leaving cert will still be in existence that is going no where

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »
    The leaving cert will still be in existence that is going no where

For now. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

katydid wrote: »

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The 'new system' will still involve a written exam. I'd imagine schools will continue to do mocks for this exam. No more than the subjects that already exist with a practical component that have a written examination (woodwork, metalwork, music etc).

Why not?

If it ends up as total CA, there would be no need. That's the ultimate goal of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

If it ends up as total CA, there would be no need. That's the ultimate goal of the government.

It won't.

That would be ridiculous.

• Advertisement

It won't.

That would be ridiculous.

I agree it would be. It's what the government would like, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

I agree it would be. It's what the government would like, though.

Are you a government spokesperson? The Framework for Junior Cycle never mentioned continuous assessment but rather school-based & final assessment. The planned focus was to move from the exams at the end of 3rd year to assessment supporting learning throughout the 3 years. The proposal for English is to replace the mocks with the school-based assessment so as not to increase teacher workload etc. The bigger change is that the SEC will be setting & correcting final exams based on learning outcomes. It'll be very hard to predict what will be on a paper & the exam is only going to be 2hrs anyway.

Jamfa wrote: »
    Are you a government spokesperson? The Framework for Junior Cycle never mentioned continuous assessment but rather school-based & final assessment. The planned focus was to move from the exams at the end of 3rd year to assessment supporting learning throughout the 3 years. The proposal for English is to replace the mocks with the school-based assessment so as not to increase teacher workload etc. The bigger change is that the SEC will be setting & correcting final exams based on learning outcomes. It'll be very hard to predict what will be on a paper & the exam is only going to be 2hrs anyway.

As far as I know, the initial proposal was for 100% assessment by the teacher.

As far as I know, the initial proposal was for 100% assessment by the teacher.

Not in English, Irish & Maths & 100% assessment by the teacher is not continuous assessment. Have you read the Framework and the many other documents about the new junior cycle?

Not in English, Irish & Maths & 100% assessment by the teacher is not continuous assessment. Have you read the Framework and the many other documents about the new junior cycle?

I'm talking about the eventual aims.

I know 100% assessment by the teacher is not continuous assessment. I didn't say it was. But exams devised and marked by the teacher are not the same as full blown state exams set and corrected elsewhere, and "mocks" would not be such a big deal.

No, I have only read an outline of them. I don't teach JC so I haven't gone into it in detail.

I'm talking about the eventual aims.

I know 100% assessment by the teacher is not continuous assessment. I didn't say it was. But exams devised and marked by the teacher are not the same as full blown state exams set and corrected elsewhere, and "mocks" would not be such a big deal.

No, I have only read an outline of them. I don't teach JC so I haven't gone into it in detail.

The 60% final exams were planned to be set by the SEC for all subjects with school-based component specifications for the 40% giving clear direction for the school tasks. The new plan is that every subject has a final exam set & marked by the SEC. What happens further done the line is only speculation and a future government may have a very different agenda.

The 60% final exams were planned to be set by the SEC for all subjects with school-based component specifications for the 40% giving clear direction for the school tasks. The new plan is that every subject has a final exam set & marked by the SEC. What happens further done the line is only speculation and a future government may have a very different agenda.

Ok

Advertisement