Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

season 5 what do expect? (for book readers)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I'm not feeling as hyped up about this season as I have over other seasons. I think the diversions from the books are causing my interest to wane a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Dayum wrote: »
    Whatever they decide to do I sincerely hope they don't drag it out for the sake of keeping the show on television for as long as possible.

I'd much prefer quality over quantity so please condense it all down and weed out the filler drivel such as Greyworm's love interest...honestly, not one person gives a flying ****. Not one.

I don't mind it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Dayum wrote: »
    Whatever they decide to do I sincerely hope they don't drag it out for the sake of keeping the show on television for as long as possible.

I'd much prefer quality over quantity so please condense it all down and weed out the filler drivel such as Greyworm's love interest...honestly, not one person gives a flying ****. Not one.

Well if rumours turn out to be true you're gonna be happy with where they're going with that story line.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ShetlandViking

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I'm not feeling as hyped up about this season as I have over other seasons. I think the diversions from the books are causing my interest to wane a bit.

Same here. After seeing the 1st season I was all like "wow S2 looks amazing look at that scenery beyond the Wall" then S3 "can't wait to see the Red Wedding" then S4 "can't wait to see the Red Viper vs The Mountain and the Battle at Castle Black".

Now I have more questions than excitement like "Will they actually get Stannis right this season? Will Lady Stoneheart show up? Will Balon finally die, will we see any of his brothers? Are some storylines going beyond the books? What other changes are they going to make?"

It's also the amount of story that is being lost in translation to the big screen. Obviously it never would have worked to include every character and for the most part that's fine, but small changes early could mean a butterfly effect later.

I was really looking forward to some things that haven't materialised at all (Lady Stoneheart for example).

On the other hand I enjoyed the epic fight between the Hound and Brienne.

The further we get into the tv show the more that gets dropped and the tapestry can just never be as rich as the books.

I also think the Season 5 trailer was a bit too "blink and you miss it, action so fast you can't see what's happening".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm excited to see what's happening in Hardhome. As far as I recall its mainly off page in the books, but the set looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I'm excited to see what's happening in Hardhome. As far as I recall its mainly off page in the books, but the set looks amazing.

And it took three weeks to film that scene. That's an unusually long amount of time to film what is essentially just another battle. There must be more to this scene than we think. Perhaps we'll get "Edd, fetch the block" in Hardhome too. Maybe something that hasn't been in the books yet? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they have planned..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/16/8046005/game-thrones-season-5-death-upset-george-rr-martin
    "People are going to die who don’t die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy," Martin said. "So everybody better be on their toes. David and D.B. (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, co-creators of Game Of Thrones) are even bloodier than I am."

We could probably guess a few of them.

I reckon Bronn is going to replace Arys Oakheart.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/16/8046005/game-thrones-season-5-death-upset-george-rr-martin

Yeah it will be someone like that, it's definitely not going to be a major character anyway. Sure we've already had a few killed off that are still alive in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I reckon Jorah's gonna kick the bucket unfortuanely. Theres a scene in the trailer where he seems to be fighting in the pits. Hope its not the case as I wanted to see his transforamtion into a broken man complete with demon brandishings!

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I reckon Jorah's gonna kick the bucket unfortuanely. Theres a scene in the trailer where he seems to be fighting in the pits. Hope its not the case as I wanted to see his transforamtion into a broken man complete with demon brandishings!

Nah, I'd say he fights in the pits as a slave and dany recognises him. He'll probably be fighting against grey worm or something, and dany will want to save both.

Nerdlingr wrote: »

He can't die, he's destined to become 1000th Lord Commander of the Nights Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Son0vagun wrote: »
    He can't die, he's destined to become 1000th Lord Commander of the Nights Watch.

That would be great, but sadly I agree with the poster above, I think the show is going to kill him off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

I think the diversions from the books are causing my interest to wane a bit.

I think the diversions make it more interesting. The Red Wedding? I had no idea if Robbs wife was a spy or was going to be killed etc. Made it that much more interesting that I didn't know what was going to happen.

Daith wrote: »
    I think the diversions make it more interesting. The Red Wedding? I had no idea if Robbs wife was a spy or was going to be killed etc. Made it that much more interesting that I didn't know what was going to happen.

I agree with you actually, for me its more where the diversions cut off lots of other interesting story (like no Jeyne Westerling). Or changing some roles into others - like Locke essentially being Vargo Hoat but not fully. Edric Storm/Gendry.

Its not change per say that Im against, its simplifying good story lines and losing plenty of fun I was looking forward to. Lady Stoneheart being another example.

Oh no, that'll be Stannis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Oh no, that'll be Stannis!
    I could see Stannis being a great Lord Commander but he'd be a terrible ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I could see Stannis being a great Lord Commander but he'd be a terrible ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.

Terrible rulers of the Seven Kingdoms always make the most interesting. I'd love to see Stannis on the throne but... nah, can't see it happening. He would make a great Lord Commander of the watch but that can't happen. The oath the brothers took strictly prohibit Stannis from becoming a member of the Nights Watch unless he forgoes his family, titles, land etc. Stannis ain't doin that..

Plus Milesandre clearly has given up on Stannis and thinks Jon is Azor Azai so with the (all but certain) resurrection of him, Stannis will become nothing more than another righteous leader of a big army.

The upside is that he takes the threat from beyond the wall seriously. I can see him getting a lot of support from the north and hopefully he gives Milesandre the boot..

This storyline could go anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭kksaints

He'd be better than Daenerys anyway.

I predict that Stannis will find out and accept that he is not the one true king of Westeros. His sense of rules and following orders will lead him to accept joining the Nights Watch, and he'll rise among the ranks and be the best mo-effing LC ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I predict that Stannis will find out and accept that he is not the one true king of Westeros. His sense of rules and following orders will lead him to accept joining the Nights Watch, and he'll rise among the ranks and be the best mo-effing LC ever!

But he is the one true king. The Targaryens were overthrown by the Baratheons, he's not going to stand aside for anyone.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But he is the one true king. The Targaryens were overthrown by the Baratheons, he's not going to stand aside for anyone.

Davos? That you?✊

What about his missus and his daughter? He loves his daughter (whatever about his missus). He cant just throw them aside.

What about his missus and his daughter? He loves his daughter (whatever about his missus). He cant just throw them aside.

I reckon something unsavoury is going to happen to poor Shireen!

There's talk that Sansa could be set to replace fake Arya and marry Ramsey! But that's sounds a bit too crack pot to me.

There's talk that Sansa could be set to replace fake Arya and marry Ramsey! But that's sounds a bit too crack pot to me.

Not a chance, she's married to Tyrion.

rawn wrote: »
    Not a chance, she's married to Tyrion.

I'd imagine it would be LF marrying Sansa off as his daughter.

I'd imagine it would be LF marrying Sansa off as his daughter.

Too many people would recognise her. She was engaged to the King and is wanted for regicide, a change of hair colour won't fool anyone that saw her in KL

Too many people would recognise her. She was engaged to the King and is wanted for regicide, a change of hair colour won't fool anyone that saw her in KL

Besides, Littlefingers "natural" daughter would be a bastard, not a high born girl, so no one would be bothered marrying her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Isn't she going to be married to Harry the Heir in the books, before having her true identity revealed by Littlefinger.

Advertisement