Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Options
  • 03-01-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

It's hard to believe it's only 6 months to this years RoK. It's already on many peoples calendars whether they be newbies or old hands.Last years cycle raised the phenomenal amount of €1,569,000 for local charities in Kerry. This years nominated charities should be announced in the near future.
    This years cycle takes place on Saturday July the 4th. Registration usually opens around mid-March. From what i'm hearing Hotels and accommodation is pretty heavily booked even at this early stage.
    Route map and other general info are in the links below.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/300052

Mod edit:

No entry requests - entry transfers are now closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Any idea when registration for this opens this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Does anyone know if it will be possible to take out a 1-day CI licence for this in July?

Out of principle and the mandatory ICE to re-register with CI this year I am not renewing my cycling licence with CI this year so will be looking for a 1-day CI licence for the Ring of Kerry in July.

Would that be possible does anyone know?
    Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

When i had to register for the SK last year. It asked me to input my UCI number. When i did i got a reduced price. My Friend who is not UCI registered had to pay more "think it was only €5" when registering online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it will be possible to take out a 1-day CI licence for this in July?

Out of principle and the mandatory ICE to re-register with CI this year I am not renewing my cycling licence with CI this year so will be looking for a 1-day CI licence for the Ring of Kerry in July.

Would that be possible does anyone know?
    Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

I think, insurance is included in the registration fee.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/the-cycle/insurance/

But reading this, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

I interpret that CI membership provides the rider insurance, which is standard for all sportives. Hence riders should be already CI members . Not sure on one day licences.

If one day is available, then would need to be in place for you on the day.

I don't think CI membership ( hence CI cover) or licences are included in the rin go Kerry regiostration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Cant see myself doing this again this year. To many cyclists last year (9500) and I can only see them accepting more this year. The atmosphere in Killarney was great as always but I just didn't get the vibe while doing the cycle compared to previous years.

Kerry County Council are also after announcing that they are putting a cycling lane the entire length of the Ring of Kerry so I will tip down in August and do it again myself when the roads are quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

logik wrote: »

Kerry County Council are also after announcing that they are putting a cycling lane the entire length of the Ring of Kerry so I will tip down in August and do it again myself when the roads are quieter.

Jeez, there's barely room for one bus on some sections - are they planning to build it above the road ??

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Cant see myself doing this again this year. To many cyclists last year (9500) and I can only see them accepting more this year. The atmosphere in Killarney was great as always but I just didn't get the vibe while doing the cycle compared to previous years.

If planning to do it on a regular day, I believe it's advised to go the opposite direction to avoid having buses waiting to overtake you all day. But I reclon it would be a boring route. Better quieter roads inside the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    If planning to do it on a regular day, I believe it's advised to go the opposite direction to avoid having buses waiting to overtake you all day. But I reclon it would be a boring route. Better quieter roads inside the ring.

That is true. Though the gap of Dunloe, around Caragh lake and over Ballaghbeama Gap & Ballaghasheen before heading through Waterville and onto the Skellig ring is a great cycle, possibly better suited for the touring cyclist not taking part in the charity cycle in my view

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Jeez, there's barely room for one bus on some sections - are they planning to build it above the road ??

I should have mentioned that Kerry County Council are buying land off the farmers etc to increase the size of the road. A cycle lane would not work with the current size of the roads :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I should have mentioned that Kerry County Council are buying land off the farmers etc to increase the size of the road. A cycle lane would not work with the current size of the roads :)

cycle lane by 2032 so in that case:)

i'm in the same boat as you, done the last few years, but last year convinced me i wouldn't be back this year. doesn't have the same buzz while going round. will likely do the ring at some other stage though to keep up doing it once a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I cycled most of the ring twice last year in opposite direction. It is an ok route only.

If looking for route for solo spin/small group have a look at
    Inner Ring 200
    Iveragh 200(just do the 140km section if your not looking for extreme)
    Ring of beara(or cross it at healy pass and/or castletown bere)
    Base yourself in Kenmare and try and find a bad route; Borlin, Caha, Molls Gap, Ballaghbeama, Healy pass, priests leap etc etc on your door

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Split Link

Did the regular R.O.K. route a few weeks after the official date last year. Departed Killarney a little after 10:00 a.m and found that at that time most of the buses were ahead of us on the road! Had a lovely relaxed spin and got back to Killarney before 17:30 in time for a lovely steak at the Dromhall Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

hi all, one of the things i intend to do this year is the ring of kerry cycle 2015.

Im relatively fit and have just bought a bike through bike to work.

Question- has anyone got a training plan that I should follow for something like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭27cyrix

AnPost website has a 'ready steady cycle' training plan might worth to have a look.
    that is for 100k

Taken from the RoK website...

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/training-tips/

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

http://www.theseankellytour.com/trainforit/ heres a link for training for the sean kelly tour charity cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Anybody know when registration will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Anybody know when registration will open?
    Last year it opened on 24th March so probably something similar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Announced today that online registration will be Tuesday April 7th at the earliest. Keep an eye on the Official Website or the RoK facebook page for further details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 creamcracker30

Hi all, i haven't cycled since I was a kid and I've stupidly agreed to do the ring of kerry cycle this year with a few friends!!! I need advice on buying a bike to get started on training as soon as possible. I'm thinking of either a hybrid or a racer. Basically, I don't want to spend alot of money on one (more than €500) as I'm not sure if I'll keep it up once the cycle is over I'm thinking of buying a hybrid, so that at least I'll have a bike for general leisurely cycling on holidays etc afterwards. I would like people's advice on what would be the best bike to buy. Ultimately I'd like a reasonably priced bike that would be suitable for the ROK cycle but also a decent bike to have afterwards for leisurely cycling. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭27cyrix

@creamcracker30
    ROK is about 160km. I would suggest you buy a drop bar road bike with relax geometry.
    I have both hybird and dropbar, both are slope geometry.
    i can barely feel the differences bewteen these two bikes if i put my hand on the top, but road bike makes me faster than on hybird.

just my own view, i am not a pro cyclist, not even close.
    if you have friend who has few bikes, try to ride few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I'm thinking of buying a hybrid...
    Lots of hybrids on the ROK but their main disadvantage is lack of variety on hand positions. A road bike will give at least 3 if not 4 positions and will be more effective in a headwind. Good luck with it regardless of what you choose. :)
    27cyrix wrote: »
    .....ROK is about 160km...
    It's about 170kms although it's always advertised as 180k.

Thanks for that advice. Ive since been looking at bikes on the halfords website. I saw one called "carrera zelos road bike 2015". It's a good price for me (€379) and has pretty decent reviews. As im new to cycling im not sure what the parts are like though. The people who posted reviews considered it a good beginners bike. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at it and give me your opinion on it as one to buy for the ring of kerry. I can't post the url on here, sorry. Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

€379 may be a good price, but you may pay that again for accommodation down there! I was advised to get a B&B or hotel room booked before I even consider signing up for the event as it is very popular. (If you can stay with family/friends there then that's a bonus)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

If you're in a position to take a trip up to Belfast Decathalon's B'twin triban range are bloody good value.

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    €379 may be a good price, but you may pay that again for accommodation down there! I was advised to get a B&B or hotel room booked before I even consider signing up for the event as it is very popular. (If you can stay with family/friends there then that's a bonus)

Already have my accommodation sorted ☺

Last year it opened on 24th March so probably something similar this year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057354413
    It's on this thread. Registration will not open before April 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Charities limited to 400 cyclists each this year so looking to collect a minimum €200 each, bit steep in my estimation

• Advertisement

Charities limited to 400 cyclists each this year so looking to collect a minimum €200 each, bit steep in my estimation

Definitely a bit pricey, so the whole debate on registration prices kicks off. I wonder what the organising committee will come up with this year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement