Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A shotgun wedding in Fermanagh?

Options
  • 11-02-2015 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

A bride and groom decided to go ahead with their wedding after two of their guests were shot outside the church.

One of two men shot at the wedding subsequently died.

The incident occurred outside St Mary's Catholic Church in the rural village of Newtownbutler in Co Fermanagh at around lunchtime.

It's understood two men were shot outside the church shortly before the bride was due to walk up the aisle.

The church is just yards away from a local national school.

It's understood one man was shot in the chest, while the other man was shot in the arm. Both men are believed to be settled Travellers and from Longford and Westmeath. They were aged in their 60s and 30s.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/bride-and-groom-exchange-vows-after-fatal-shooting-at-their-wedding-30983981.html

This is bizarre-a man is shot dead outside the church before the wedding, but the bride and groom continue with the ceremony? The best man's speech just got a lot tougher.... :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You do what you have to do to get out of a wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I know what id see if I click on the link, so I wont bother. Non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lads/ladies
    Man died there today, bit of respect , terrible tragedy, no matter what the motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Amazing how the ceremony could go ahead with somebody after being shot dead in the churchyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

This season of big fat gypsy wedding should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

From seeing the vehicles used at the wedding and their liking for a row at any family gathering, I'll hazard a guess it was a member of Irelands most respected minority ethic community wedding.

realies wrote: »
    Lads/ladies
    Man died there today, bit of respect , terrible tragedy, no matter what the motives.

The morality police have arrived.

Rejoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Lads/ladies

I doubt they'll be too concerned about people showing respect here

Going ahead with the wedding after a two guests had been shot outside isn't exactly respectful

The morality police have arrived.

Rejoice.

Suppose if it was Manchester player or fan you be rejoicing big man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's amazing how I didn't need to click the article to guess what group was involved

• Advertisement

I doubt they'll be too concerned about people showing respect here

Going ahead with the wedding after a two guests had been shot outside isn't exactly respectful

Well I am sure there was lots of confusion in excacly what to do, go ahead cancell it to another day,whatever it's a bit all unreal, on the headlines over here on bbc world.

It's amazing how I didn't need to click the article to guess what group was involved

Well actually when I heard it first I thought it was a dissent republican attack.

Well I am sure there was lots of confusion in excacly what to do, go ahead cancell it to another day,whatever it's a bit all unreal, on the headlines over here on bbc world.

Why are you getting all outraged on their behalf? Does it affect you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

From seeing the vehicles used at the wedding and their liking for a row at any family gathering, I'll hazard a guess it was a member of Irelands most respected minority ethic community wedding.

No neee to guess, its confirmed in the OP. Unless you are referring to another minority ethnic community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pavee point don't do weddings, but if they did they'd be the............

Why are you getting all outraged on their behalf? Does it affect you?

What if it does ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Despite the paper trying to pixelate (is that a word?) the photo all I see is a ridiculous dress and gallons of fake tan

What if it does ?

Does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Have Pavee Point commented on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

He wasn't shot dead, he died later in hospital. Possibly the bride and groom didn't think things were serious enough to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Incredible stuff......just can't understand the bride walking on up the aisle....and the priest marrying them....and a guy dying outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Non story.

You're wrong if you say it isn't not a non story.
    It's a Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

eviltwin wrote: »
    He wasn't shot dead, he died later in hospital

He was shot and died as a result, ergo shot dead.
    Possibly the bride and groom didn't think things were serious enough to cancel.

Serious enough to cancel? Two guests were shot outside the church, one needed to be airlifted to hospital while barely clinging onto life!

I think any right-minded person would say that's serious enough to warrant cancelling the ceremony!

It's not as if some granny twisted her ankle on the way up the steps

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a very religous people

Suppose if it was Manchester player or fan you be rejoicing big man

What does that have to do with it?

You been creeping on me bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

"Both men are believed to be settled Travellers".

No way?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If only Nora Casey had accepted the invitation to the wedding.
    She was was once a nurse and could have saved the injured mans life........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Saw the cars pass through Cavan town afterwards.. Silver stretch Hummer and bride was in a big RR..

Stopped at filling station and groom ran in and bought vodka & red bull, emptied half the RB out on the ground and topped it up from the bottle..

Seeing the story makes sense now.. they were fairly stressed looking !!

Classy stuff !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

He was shot and died as a result, ergo shot dead.

Serious enough to cancel? Two guests were shot outside the church, one needed to be airlifted to hospital while barely clinging onto life!

I think any right-minded person would say that's serious enough to warrant cancelling the ceremony!

It's not as if some granny twisted her ankle on the way up the steps

Did you even read the article, the wedding went ahead presumably after police had arrived. It's not like she stepped over a dying man to get into the church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well actually when I heard it first I thought it was a dissent republican attack.

No fault to you realies but you must be very dumb or very naive if your 1st thought was a republican attack.

I was sitting with 5 other lads when it came on the radio. 3 immediately said "travellers" and myself and the other 2 lads said that we were thinking the same.

No manners or respect to shoot anyone and even worse to do it in a church.

Advertisement