Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

This thread is for the discussion of atheism/Existence of God.

Please use this thread for any continued discussion of child abuse.

Thanks for your attention.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Safehands wrote: »
    You know Festus, the way are posting, throwing muck about in every direction, hoping bits will stick,

Ah, so marianbad is allow to throw mud but I'm not even allow to rebut.

Why am I not surprised.

Je suis Catholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Festus wrote: »
    Ah, so marianbad is allow to throw mud but I'm not even allow to rebut.

Why am I not surprised.

Je suis Catholic

Marian isn't the one throwing homophobic or sexist language around...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

indioblack wrote: »
    OK then. No evidence either way.
    "..you makes your choice." Based on what?
    Why do you believe. Why do you choose to believe?
    Why do you want to believe?
    If you want this - what need do you have to make you choose to believe?
    I could probably put this better - no offence - but what's in it for you?

Yes, no evidence, I'm saying that belief comes before evidence, it seems to be hardwired into humans and not just a flaw in thinking either. People are born with a tendency to bebelieve in God. They lack any clarity as to the nature of characteristic of this being and project their own onto it. They don't choose, they come that way.
    I doubt this is just true of religious types either, I've read some quite religious stuff from atheists as well, though they would claim it appreciation of the splendour of nature but at it's most basic, it's a religious feeling.
    Why do I believe? Because that's the way I am.
    Why do I want to believe? I don't. I just do.
    Yout keep framing g this as though belife was a psychological flaw, something to be cured or corrected. I'm saying it's closer to having blue eyes or red hair.
    What's in it for me? Not much tbh. I don't profit from it, I don't get comfort from it, it raises more questions than it answers but still I refuse to let go, possibly out of some kind of obsessive defiance. I refuse to accept that love, truth, beauty, find no echo in this cold harsh universe.
    So it just a mission statement, you say. OK, I can live with that.

it seems to be hardwired into humans
    In my case it isn't. Anyone else?
    People are born with a tendency to bebelieve in God.
    You'll have to clarify what you mean by the word "God". If you mean the deity talked about in the three Abrahamic religions, then no, false. If you mean just a basic belief that there is something supernatural, with no detail...so what? In my view, it's a genetic hold over from our past, when those people who believed in the supernatural were more likely to procreate.
    They lack any clarity as to the nature of characteristic of this being and project their own onto it. They don't choose, they come that way.
    Even if true...so what? That doesn't indicate that the supernatural actually exists. If babies were born with a belief that the moon is made of cheese, does that indicate that the moon actually is made of cheese?
    I'm saying that bbelief comes before evidence
    Again, not in my case. I refuse to believe anything unless there's logic, data, reasoning or evidence in favour of it.
    I refuse to accept that love, truth, beauty, find no answer in a cold harsh universe.
    In other words, you believe what you want to believe, instead of accepting what reality actually is and not imposing your own desires over it.

• Advertisement

Yes, because they were created by God and have a God given soul.

Animals on the other hand were also created by God but without souls and while I have seen animals learn I have yet to see an animal display any understanding of logic, mercy or justice.

However, you still have not explained how matter can give rise to logic, mercy and justice. All you have done is make a statement about humans and as humans are Gods creation you have added nothing.

Features, the lack of these attributes in animals should give you pause for thought. If logic, met y, and justice are God given then surely all of his creation would carry some trait of these? None the less only humans have this god given morality. Which leads me to suppose these traits are traits of humans not God at all. After all what need has God for morality?

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Features, the lack of these attributes in animals should give you pause for thought. If logic, met y, and justice are God given then surely all of his creation would carry some trait of these? None the less only humans have this god given morality. Which leads me to suppose these traits are traits of humans not God at all. After all what need has God for morality?

This is going to be fun *sits back and grabs a bucket of popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Yes, no evidence, I'm saying that belief comes before evidence, it seems to be hardwired into humans and not just a flaw in thinking either. People are born with a tendency to bebelieve in God. They lack any clarity as to the nature of characteristic of this being and project their own onto it. They don't choose, they come that way.
    I doubt this is just true of religious types either, I've read some quite religious stuff from atheists as well, though they would claim it appreciation of the splendour of nature but at it's most basic, it's a religious feeling.
    Why do I believe? Because that's the way I am.
    Why do I want to believe? I don't. I just do.
    Yout keep framing g this as though belife was a psychological flaw, something to be cured or corrected. I'm saying it's closer to having blue eyes or red hair.
    What's in it for me? Not much tbh. I don't profit from it, I don't get comfort from it, it raises more questions than it answers but still I refuse to let go, possibly out of some kind of obsessive defiance. I refuse to accept that love, truth, beauty, find no echo in this cold harsh universe.
    So it just a mission statement, you say. OK, I can live with that.

I don't think belief is a psychological flaw - my Christian friends probably think I am flawed with my present inability to believe!
    And your last paragraph struck a chord in me.
    It may be an anger shared by both sides in this debate - a reluctance to accept the harshness of existence - or maybe a willingness to accept it if there is a purpose to that acceptance.

indioblack wrote: »
    I don't think belief is a psychological flaw - my Christian friends probably think I am flawed with my present inability to believe!
    And your last paragraph struck a chord in me.
    It may be an anger shared by both sides in this debate - a reluctance to accept the harshness of existence - or maybe a willingness to accept it if there is a purpose to that acceptance.

Not a reluctance a defiance. As to a willingness to accept it if theirs a purpose, what purpose is served by dispair? Unless we accept that this universe is not designed as a test or designed with our needs in mind we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. Casting God in our own imagdidn't the answer, neither is turning our back on the deep human desire for a better world.
    weather you call that religion or secularism or atheism, the same mistakes keep being repeated. Imposition of one view over the others.

Tommy, are you typing on a mobile device of some kind? If so, try to clean up your posts before actually posting them.
    Unless we accept that this universe is not designed as a test or designed with our needs in mind we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

1) The vast majority of the planet Earth, never mind the universe, is hostile to human life. Go on, without the aid of technology, try living in the ocean or in outer space. You'll find you can't do it. We as humans need to breathe oxygen, which we can't do underwater or in space.
    2) How so? I don't believe obviously in either of the two scenarios you posted there, yet I do learn from history (such as WW2). I try not to repeat the mistakes of the past, e.g. I'm not racist. So please, explain further, how a non-belief in intelligent design somehow leads one to repeating past mistakes. (Indeed, I can argue for the exact opposite - there are many ID proponents and creationists who don't care about maintaining the environment, saying something along the lines of "God will provide", thinking that they can repeat what was done in the past in terms of pollution without a care in the world)
    neither is turning our back on the deep human desire for a better world.
    There are bible verses that teach humans not to improve on their lot, such as the opening of the Sermon on the Mount, which when read, teaches not to despair of your poor lot in this life, don't bother trying to improve it, things will be a nebulous better in some nebulous other life with no supporting evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    In my case it isn't. Anyone else?
    It could be argued that the human brain is hardwired for religious thought, we do have a part of the brain that seems dedicated to it. I don't think that's surprising and I'd wonder if the part of the brain that lights up in a religious persons brain when they think of god would be the same part of my brain that lights up when I think about the universe. By that I mean it's a kind of blue sky thinking part of the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Ah, so marianbad is allow to throw mud but I'm not even allow to rebut. Why am I not surprised.

Je suis Catholic

Oui, vous êtes Catholic, and don't we know it, are you a member of a religious order by any chance?

Safehands wrote: »
    Oui, vous êtes Catholic, and don't we know it, are you a member of a religious order by any chance?

I fail to see the relevance of that question.

Given that there have been many catholic orders implicated in the sex abuse scandals, it's obvious that a cry of innocence or an attempt to deflect attention away from the real issues from a member of one of those orders would be treated very skeptically.

Given that there have been many catholic orders implicated in the sex abuse scandals, it's obvious that a cry of innocence or an attempt to deflect attention away from the real issues from a member of one of those orders would be treated very skeptically.

The question has no relevance to the thread title.

Why are you trying to continue the sex abuse discussion here?

Hmmm, Interesting reply Festus!

The question has no relevance to the thread title.

Or are you trying to continue the sex abuse discussion here?

Am I attempting to continue it here? Nope, I just didn't realise which thread I was on. I just clicked on whichever thread had most recently been updated without reading the title, read your response and thought we were still on the sex abuse thread.

Am I attempting to continue it here? Nope, I just didn't realise which thread I was on. I just clicked on whichever thread had most recently been updated without reading the title, read your response and thought we were still on the sex abuse thread.

Ah, seems suspiciously like stalking

...except it's not. It's simply me reading and replying to threads I've been on and am still interested in. For it to even attempt to rise to the level of stalking, I'd have to be following you around on any other threads you've been on, which I haven't. I restrict my conversations with you strictly to the religious related threads.

...except it's not. It's simply me reading and replying to threads I've been on and am still interested in. For it to even attempt to rise to the level of stalking, I'd have to be following you around on any other threads you've been on, which I haven't. I restrict my conversations with you strictly to the religious related threads.

The evidence suggests otherwise but I'll take your word for it that it is mere coincidence.

Perhaps it might help if you put me on your ignore list.

• Advertisement

The evidence suggests otherwise but I'll take your word for it that it is mere coincidence.

Perhaps it might help if you put me on your ignore list.

What evidence? To my knowledge, I've only ever talked to you on this thread, and maybe one or two others, all of them relating to religion. Apart from that, I have no interest at all in you.
    You're already on my ignore list, but I ignored that for a little while. Perhaps I shouldn't, if I'm getting completely unfounded accusations like this from you.

What a Paranoid statement Festus!

Tommy, are you typing on a mobile device of some kind? If so, try to clean up your posts before actually posting them.

1) The vast majority of the planet Earth, never mind the universe, is hostile to human life. Go on, without the aid of technology, try living in the ocean or in outer space. You'll find you can't do it. We as humans need to breathe oxygen, which we can't do underwater or in space.
    2) How so? I don't believe obviously in either of the two scenarios you posted there, yet I do learn from history (such as WW2). I try not to repeat the mistakes of the past, e.g. I'm not racist. So please, explain further, how a non-belief in intelligent design somehow leads one to repeating past mistakes. (Indeed, I can argue for the exact opposite - there are many ID proponents and creationists who don't care about maintaining the environment, saying something along the lines of "God will provide", thinking that they can repeat what was done in the past in terms of pollution without a care in the world)

There are bible verses that teach humans not to improve on their lot, such as the opening of the Sermon on the Mount, which when read, teaches not to despair of your poor lot in this life, don't bother trying to improve it, things will be a nebulous better in some nebulous other life with no supporting evidence.

Yep, using a tablet, bloody things are murder to write with, PC is down atm.
    Funny how you read the sermon on the mount that way, I read it as council against dispare, keep on trying, never give up. Not that I blame you, it's been presented as a pie in the sky when we die argument for a long time.

We are not so far apart as you would think, I believe morality comes from people not God, I believe we are partners in creation, from my view God is the other partner, you might see creation as the other partner.
    I don't see the bible as dictated by God but rather as a record of man's struggle to make sense of the world, himself and his relationship with God.
    I don't read it literally or think it should be, you'llyou'll notice I disagree with most other posters who do go down this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We are not so far apart as you would think, I believe morality comes from people not God, I believe we are partners in creation, from my view God is the other partner, you might see creation as the other partner.
    How can we be partners in something that happened billions of years before the sun our planet would eventually orbit was even around?

I think if there is a god, we aren't the sole focus of all his work, I really don't think the universe was created for one particular ape that will probably be a flash in the pan by cosmic standards.

Live for the present, the past is gone you can't change it, just accept that and let it go, the future is less set in stone but it may or may not exist for you, there's no way of knowing - you could get hit by a bus tomorrow! Being miserable while your alive so you can be happy once your dead is insane!
    The present is where you need to concentrate your efforts - don't waste what you have by worrying about what you don't have anymore, or may or may not have at some point to come. Do your living now!

is this not essentially atheism? or some form of Satanism or occultism. Seems a lot like what Aleister Crowley was about.

ScumLord wrote: »
    How can we be partners in something that happened billions of years before the sun our planet would eventually orbit was even around?

I think if there is a god, we aren't the sole focus of all his work, I really don't think the universe was created for one particular ape that will probably be a flash in the pan by cosmic standards.

That's what I'm saying, this universe was not created for us anymore than it was created for sea urchins. As to how can we be partners in the process the universe was created for? Well if you assume as I do that it was created to give expression to God then the answer is simple, by being His expression in the world while we are here.
    pretty much the same stuff we should do anyway tbh, caretakers for the planet!

Hmm...Tommy, I might word what you're saying a bit differently. I would say that we are a piece of the universe that is conscious, a piece of the universe that is able to observe itself.

is this not essentially atheism? or some form of Satanism or occultism. Seems a lot like what Aleister Crowley was about.

*Insert Facepalm JPG here* (I'm too lazy to actually do it)

As I'm pretty sure you've been told many a time, no that is not atheism. Atheism is a position on a claim. Nothing more, nothing less.
    As for Crowley Satanism...kind of. What about it? That form of satanism doesn't have anything to do with the entity called Satan from christianity. The name is more of a middle finger to christianity, rather than an actual statement of worship of a supernatural entity.
    My favourite line of all time, the core of my whole outlook on life is summed up in this line from Terry Goodkind
    Your life is your own. Rise up and live it
    Squandering that life, wasting the joys of this live merely because you think that squandering them somehow merits a pass to some nebulous other life makes a complete mockery of this life.

Atheism is a position on a claim.

If that is true then atheism can support its claim with evidence and proof.

• Advertisement

Hmm...Tommy, I might word what you're saying a bit differently. I would say that we are a piece of the universe that is conscious, a piece of the universe that is able to observe itself.

And I would say, that consciousness is what makes us partners with God! God like if you will. Not mere subjects but citizens in His creation.

Advertisement