Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry on confronting god after death

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sufa

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The "husband" thirty (30) years his junior put the tin hat on it for me.

Husband. Not "Husband".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Where's the irony? If he considers himself Jewish, he's only ethnically and culturally so. He's a strident atheist....obviously.

yep. He's not actually ever been Jewish in religion. His mother was Jewish and he states that he has Jewish ancestry but he was raised with no faith.
    However you might as well call him Hungarian since both his grandparents on his mothers side were Hungarian.
    He identifies with his jewish roots but that's as far as it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

"This great evil. Where does it come from? How'd it steal into the world? What seed, what root did it grow from? Who's doin' this? Who's killin' us? Robbing us of life and light. Mockin' us with the sight of what we might've known. Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed through this night?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

bb87 wrote: »
    Satan tells his followers to kill their children, and people like you happily follow it. You know, abortion and all.

God said to Abraham "kill me a son", Abe says "man, you must be puttin' me on"...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've been listening to stories of the holocaust this week, the things that happened to those people....how could a loving God stand by and allow that to happen. Everyday terrible things happen, crime, war, natural disasters. Some God. I want no part of it.

I'm reminded of a quote that was found on a wall in the dorm of an Austrian concentration camp "if there is a god he will have to beg for my forgiveness". That about sums it up for me.

The Jews according to the bible had a special covenant with God, when they broke it and turned away from God, the prophecy of Jeremiah 16 said they would be banished to lands they do not know, they would end up being hunted down, their bodies not buried, famine and suffering...but this was to happen before Israel would be restored.
    1Then the word of the Lord came to me: 2“You must not marry and have sons or daughters in this place.” 3For this is what the Lord says about the sons and daughters born in this land and about the women who are their mothers and the men who are their fathers: 4“They will die of deadly diseases. They will not be mourned or buried but will be like dung lying on the ground. They will perish by sword and famine, and their dead bodies will become food for the birds and the wild animals.”
    5For this is what the Lord says: “Do not enter a house where there is a funeral meal; do not go to mourn or show sympathy, because I have withdrawn my blessing, my love and my pity from this people,” declares the Lord. 6“Both high and low will die in this land. They will not be buried or mourned, and no one will cut themselves or shave their head for the dead. 7No one will offer food to comfort those who mourn for the dead—not even for a father or a mother—nor will anyone give them a drink to console them.
    8“And do not enter a house where there is feasting and sit down to eat and drink. 9For this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Before your eyes and in your days I will bring an end to the sounds of joy and gladness and to the voices of bride and bridegroom in this place.
    10“When you tell these people all this and they ask you, ‘Why has the Lord decreed such a great disaster against us? What wrong have we done? What sin have we committed against the Lord our God?’ 11then say to them, ‘It is because your ancestors forsook me,’ declares the Lord, ‘and followed other gods and served and worshiped them. They forsook me and did not keep my law. 12But you have behaved more wickedly than your ancestors. See how all of you are following the stubbornness of your evil hearts instead of obeying me. 13So I will throw you out of this land into a land neither you nor your ancestors have known, and there you will serve other gods day and night, for I will show you no favor.’
    14“However, the days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when it will no longer be said, ‘As surely as the Lord lives, who brought the Israelites up out of Egypt,’ 15but it will be said, ‘As surely as the Lord lives, who brought the Israelites up out of the land of the north and out of all the countries where he had banished them.’ For I will restore them to the land I gave their ancestors.
    16“But now I will send for many fishermen,” declares the Lord, “and they will catch them. After that I will send for many hunters, and they will hunt them down on every mountain and hill and from the crevices of the rocks. 17My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from me, nor is their sin concealed from my eyes. 18I will repay them double for their wickedness and their sin, because they have defiled my land with the lifeless forms of their vile images and have filled my inheritance with their detestable idols.”
    19Lord, my strength and my fortress,
    my refuge in time of distress,
    to you the nations will come
    from the ends of the earth and say,
    “Our ancestors possessed nothing but false gods,
    worthless idols that did them no good.
    20Do people make their own gods?
    Yes, but they are not gods!”

21“Therefore I will teach them—
    this time I will teach them
    my power and might.
    Then they will know
    that my name is the Lord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

God said to Abraham "kill me a son", Abe says "man, you must be puttin' me on"...

God said "no!", Abe said "what?!", God said "You can do what you want, Abe, but the next time you see me you better run!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

Completely agree with the man. When I reached my mid teens and stopped going to mass my mother asked me why I'd given up on it. I replied that any being that required me to worship it every day in order to receive something in return wasn't worth following.

The whole religion and God smokescreen is just a vehicle for those who do evil to hide behind and those who can't face their own demise to find some sort of comfort in.

Enjoy it while you're here because the only line in the bible that is actually true is, for you are dust, and to dust you shall return

RobertKK wrote: »
    Stephen Fry acts the idiot.
    He was talking about a Christian God, but then the supposed intellectual, disregarded a part of the bible where it says how evil entered the world.
    Evil according to the book of Genesis entered the world when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, and the price for the disobedience was death was brought into the world, and Adam and Eve allowed evil into the world.

Stephen Fry ignored the bible so he could just have his rant.

He didn't address in his rant about meeting God, how we can choose good or evil, or that by knowing evil, it allows us to know and appreciate what is good.

Also Stephen Fry said if heaven did exist he didn't want to go to heaven, indicating he wants to reside in hell, which is just being stupid for the sake of it.

Anyway I will be watching the Superbowl rather than wasting time on Stephen Fry who thinksthat is heaven did somehow exist he would even get the chance to say directly to God 'How dare you'...

You do realise that the bible is made up by ancient trollers? Don't think it mentions "live and let live" anywhere in there.

He was talking about a Christian God, but then the supposed intellectual, disregarded a part of the bible where it says how evil entered the world.
    Evil according to the book of Genesis entered the world when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, and the price for the disobedience was death was brought into the world, and Adam and Eve allowed evil into the world.

He didn't address in his rant about meeting God, how we can choose good or evil, or that by knowing evil, it allows us to know and appreciate what is good.

Also Stephen Fry said if heaven did exist he didn't want to go to heaven, indicating he wants to reside in hell, which is just being stupid for the sake of it.

Anyway I will be watching the Superbowl rather than wasting time on Stephen Fry who thinksthat is heaven did somehow exist he would even get the chance to say directly to God 'How dare you'...

If "God" is actually evil, would you really want to go there? that's his point, if God's evil then who would want to go there. the only reason people chose heaven over hell is because heaven is portrayed as good and hell is portrayed as being evil. If heaven's actually a nasty place you might think "lets see if hell's any worse".

And God has control over everything. You don't think that when the devil put the evil into the world God couldn't have just gone "feck off". If you see a truck about to hit someone and you have the option of either pulling the truck out of the way or pulling the person out of the way, yet you just sit there and watch, you're evil. that's his point.
    If we assume that God exists, all the evidence points to God being evil.

The whole "You have to worship me or I'll send you to hell" reminded me of this.

The Jews according to the bible had a special covenant with God, when they broke it and turned away from God, the prophecy of Jeremiah 16 said they would be banished to lands they do not know, they would end up being hunted down, their bodies not buried, famine and suffering...but this was to happen before Israel would be restored.

That's pretty vengeful. I can imagine the jews going "Can't you do something different. can't you be nice" and God says "I didn't make the rules. Oh wait... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sufa wrote: »
    Husband. Not "Husband".

Removing the quotation marks doesn't make it any less seedier.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Typical Fry, his unwillingness to explore what Genesis has to say as to why there is such suffering and evil, highlights his wilful ignorance and dishonesty.

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world. Why does Fry see more of Satan than God? Says a lot about him, really.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. Maybe Fry better stop lusting after young men and let go of this bitterness clearly revealed in this clip. Then he will see more of the one true God.

This man needs prayers..

Ok, so Satan was apparently a fallen angel, and he was around before God created the earth and its inhabitants.

God created mankind, made them totally innocent of the concept of evil and then allowed one of his previous creations to come along and corrupt humanity. And as punishment for that he blames every descendant of Adam and Eve and allows the same fallen angel to have his way on earth now?

That's what you're saying right?

Seems fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Satan tells his followers to kill their children, and people like you happily follow it. You know, abortion and all.

Well, I guess Satan's a bit lazy compared to God, he just does it directly with floods, plagues and bone cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Is this to become one of those threads where people complain about any criticism Christianity gets while claiming every other religion is protected and then complain about atheists?

Probably. Why not?

Why is it seedy? Because of age? That's pathetic, you know nothing of their relationship except what you see from the outside, given by the media...

The sooner more people start doing this the better, The world would be a much better if religion was wiped out.

That is really being stupid, talk about a Judeo Christian God, but ignore the source for the information.
    It would be like doing maths and having 2+2=8 because one chooses to ignore maths texts and to make it up for what one wants it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And the "Occupy Paedophilia" bullshit starts in 3...2...1...

danrua01 wrote: »
    Why is it seedy? Because of age? That's pathetic, you know nothing of their relationship except what you see from the outside, given by the media...

I suppose it's a question of subjective personal standards.

I would have called it a good old fashioned mid life crisis, but Stevie is too old for one and the other fella is far to young for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Typical Fry, his unwillingness to explore what Genesis has to say as to why there is such suffering and evil, highlights his wilful ignorance and dishonesty.

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world. Why does Fry see more of Satan than God? Says a lot about him, really.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. Maybe Fry better stop lusting after young men and let go of this bitterness clearly revealed in this clip. Then he will see more of the one true God.

This man needs prayers..

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" - Mark Twain.

Kierkegaard, who was very religious, devoted a book to this (fear and trembling)

he points out that it's the essence of faith. If God tells you to do the most horrific thing you can imagine, you have to do it. No questions. No discussions. No rationalising. Nothing like that. You have to just to it.
    Kierkegaard refers to it as the teleological suspension of the ethical. In other words to be faithful/religious, you cannot be ethical at all. If you are ethical you will question God's actions. You'll question your own actions. You'll even question the effect those actions have. Being ethical has no place in being religious.

• Advertisement

And the "Occupy Paedophilia" bullshit starts in 3...2...1...

A thirty year age gap is what it is no matter how much liberal flip flopping is done around it.

That is really being stupid, talk about a Judeo Christian God, but ignore the source for the information.
    It would be like doing maths and having 2+2=8 because one chooses to ignore maths texts and to make it up for what one wants it to be.

In the bible it states that Pi is equal to 3. not 3.14... but that it is equal to exactly three.

So yeah, you can choose to ignore maths and be religious if you want.

GerB40 wrote: »
    "But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" - Mark Twain.

Those loons you see hanging around the Central Bank seem to be the sort that would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

A thirty year age gap is what it is no matter how much liberal flip flopping is done around it.

Isn't he 27? I think he's a big boy who can decide things for himself.

You do realise that the bible is made up by ancient trollers? Don't think it mentions "live and let live" anywhere in there.

Jesus said, he without sin cast the first stone.

Guess you never read the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Going by that logic nobody has read the thing.

Those loons you see hanging around the Central Bank seem to be the sort that would.

Oh boy, you're on a (t)roll today - any other individuals that you have nothing in common with, that you would like to write off?

Isn't he 27? I think he's a big boy who can decide things for himself.

I don't doubt that for a second.

It's the love sick old guy with the history of mental illness I would worry about most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd wager he didn't

• Advertisement

I don't doubt that for a second.

It's the love sick old guy with the history of mental illness I would worry about most.

You don't need to worry about it, I'm sure both of them know enough to get on with their lives. He's bipolar, he's not a rapist or a murder... Are you saying that people with mental illnesses shouldn't be allowed to be in relationships?

Advertisement