Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry on confronting god after death

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"God" as portrayed in the bible has always been a dick. From telling his followers to kill their children to flooding the world and murdering the majority of the living creatures in it because they weren't paying him enough attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

bb87 wrote: »
    Typical Fry, his unwillingness to explore what Genesis has to say as to why there is such suffering and evil, highlights his wilful ignorance and dishonesty.

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world. Why does Fry see more of Satan than God? Says a lot about him, really.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. Maybe Fry better stop lusting after young men and let go of this bitterness clearly revealed in this clip. Then he will see more of the one true God.

This man needs prayers..

which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Typical Fry, his unwillingness to explore what Genesis has to say as to why there is such suffering and evil, highlights his wilful ignorance and dishonesty.

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world. Why does Fry see more of Satan than God? Says a lot about him, really.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. Maybe Fry better stop lusting after young men and let go of this bitterness clearly revealed in this clip. Then he will see more of the one true God.

This man needs prayers..

Bitterness alert! Clearly Fry has no interest in fairy tales written a few thousand years ago and thankfully many more are copping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

gay byrne looks like kermit the frog now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Religion a curse upon humanity...

"Christianity, like most religions, was set up to disempower people & control them.
    It was set up as a political vehicle.
    Sell people on their unworthiness & guilt and you can control them."

John Kaminski, Devils From Heaven

While the quote may be true (although I would say it's applicable beyond Christianity, by that I mean Christianity as it has evolved, not the esoteric inner teachings which have been largely forgotten), still that Kaminski looks a bit of a dodgy bloke. It's all the Joooos fault....hmmmmm. http://therebel.website/en/kaminski

The gif is funny :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 bb87

"God" as portrayed in the bible has always been a dick. From telling his followers to kill their children to flooding the world and murdering the majority of the living creatures in it because they weren't paying him enough attention.

Satan tells his followers to kill their children, and people like you happily follow it. You know, abortion and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Wait! If Satan punishes does that sin, doesn't that mean he's good?!?

Satan tells his followers to kill their children, and people like you happily follow it. You know, abortion and all.

How do you know it's not your god telling them to do it? He has past form for killing the unborn after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Stephen Fry acts the idiot.
    He was talking about a Christian God, but then the supposed intellectual, disregarded a part of the bible where it says how evil entered the world.
    Evil according to the book of Genesis entered the world when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, and the price for the disobedience was death was brought into the world, and Adam and Eve allowed evil into the world.

Stephen Fry ignored the bible so he could just have his rant.

He didn't address in his rant about meeting God, how we can choose good or evil, or that by knowing evil, it allows us to know and appreciate what is good.

Also Stephen Fry said if heaven did exist he didn't want to go to heaven, indicating he wants to reside in hell, which is just being stupid for the sake of it.

Anyway I will be watching the Superbowl rather than wasting time on Stephen Fry who thinksthat is heaven did somehow exist he would even get the chance to say directly to God 'How dare you'...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This man needs prayers..

Blessed are the bigoted. The old-fashioned scholars of God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So you're saying God is as evil as Satan? Got it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 bb87

which one?

Why do so called free thinkiners always have to be spoon fed.

Whic one you ask? Many perceptions, one God to perceive. Settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

While the quote may be true (although I would say it's applicable beyond Christianity, by that I mean Christianity as it has evolved, not the esoteric inner teachings which have been largely forgotten), still that Kaminski looks a bit of a dodgy bloke. It's all the Joooos fault....hmmmmm. http://therebel.website/en/kaminski

The gif is funny :D
    Have to agree, Kaminski is a dick, but I agree 100% with the quotation never the less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've been listening to stories of the holocaust this week, the things that happened to those people....how could a loving God stand by and allow that to happen. Everyday terrible things happen, crime, war, natural disasters. Some God. I want no part of it.

I'm reminded of a quote that was found on a wall in the dorm of an Austrian concentration camp "if there is a god he will have to beg for my forgiveness". That about sums it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I will never understand those people who feel the need to troll. I mean what's wrong in your life that you need to do things like this?

Why do so called free thinkiners always have to be spoon fed.

Whic one you ask? Many perceptions, one God to perceive. Settled.

So Allah?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God.

Eh, I hardly think that bad things happening is proof that a devil exists.

For the second point, very convenient for that god to say that, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Wibbs wrote: »
    The same one indeed. The Christian and Muslim faiths are Judaism Ver 2.

Christianity is a spin-off and Islam is more a of a reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

he wont have to worry about heaven or hell...........life is the light between two dark eternities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

RobertKK wrote: »
    He was talking about a Christian God, but then the supposed intellectual, disregarded a part of the bible where it says how evil entered the world.
    Evil according to the book of Genesis entered the world when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, and the price for the disobedience was death was brought into the world, and Adam and Eve allowed evil into the world.

He didn't address in his rant about meeting God, how we can choose good or evil, or that by knowing evil, it allows us to know and appreciate what is good.

Also Stephen Fry said if heaven did exist he didn't want to go to heaven, indicating he wants to reside in hell, which is just being stupid for the sake of it.

Anyway I will be watching the Superbowl rather than wasting time on Stephen Fry who thinksthat is heaven did somehow exist he would even get the chance to say directly to God 'How dare you'...

Well he referred to bone cancer in children and insects that eat children's eyes from the inside out as two examples - things that are out of our hands, basically, and none of us made a conscious decision to choose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Which satan? He evolved along the way too.

OK so this all seeing god of yours, creates these humans and does so knowing that they will "disobey" him and because of that he'll introduce death and evil into the world? So he planned to create evil in the first place. Either that or he was surprised, in which case he can't be an all knowing all seeing god, now can he?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Would think a nice god wouldn't put evil into a world just because he was disobeyed by his creatures with free will.

I thought Adam and eve was put into the metaphor pile when incest went out of fashion anyway?

The sooner more people start doing this the better, The world would be a much better if religion was wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Of course!! The fool ignored the immutable truth of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden! That would have explained everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've been listening to stories of the holocaust this week, the things that happened to those people....how could a loving God stand by and allow that to happen.

Some seem to think it's because about 4 thousand years ago the first ever human beings had sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

chakademus wrote: »
    There's something so insufferable about Stephen Fry.

The "husband" thirty (30) years his junior put the tin hat on it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I never knew what to make of Stephen Fry but the more I see of him the more I quite like him....
    Stephen Fry who thinksthat is heaven did somehow exist he would even get the chance to say directly to God 'How dare you'...

I don't think he thinks or cares if he gets the chance but the question asked was "IF you got the chance to speak to god..." He was only answering what was asked :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

chrysagon wrote: »
    Fry has had a few digs at Christians, irionic that hes a jew.
    And anyway, he has a point,Why would god if he /she existed create a world with such misery.

Is this a version of the old NI joke "Are you a protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist? " :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

chakademus wrote: »
    There's something so insufferable about Stephen Fry.

He's intelligent. Some people hate that quality in others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Wibbs wrote: »
    He's dead right IMH. Then again I seem to recall there was a "heretical" Christian sect way back in the day that believed something along the lines that the world/universe was created and moulded by the devil as an illusion and you had to find the "real" god behind all of that. That would make more sense if the religion thing is your bag

Gnosticism. Well worth a study :)

Advertisement