Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry on confronting god after death

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

vid link appears broken :\

Edit: Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I love gay Byrnes face during that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ah Op tell us what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Completely agree. How could a god that is supposedly is all love create such evil and misery. I completely agree. If a god does exist.....which I don't believe, but if it did exist I know where ill be giving it a good boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Is this to become one of those threads where people complain about any criticism Christianity gets while claiming every other religion is protected and then complain about atheists?

realies wrote: »
    Ah Op tell us what he says

He says if it turns out god is real, and he's wrong, and he gets to speak to god at the gates of heaven, he will ask him why does bone cancer for children exist, why did he create a world in which so much misery exists which is not our fault? Why should I respect a god who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

There's something so insufferable about Stephen Fry.

Is this to become one of those threads where people complain about any criticism Christianity gets while claiming every other religion is protected and then complain about atheists?

No, cos faiths have to be discussed and criticised. Otherwise it isn't faith, its bollocks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gay Byrne looks like someone p*ssed in his cornflakes when Fry gave his answer. If you're not prepared to hear answers you don't like, then don't ask the question.

• Advertisement

http://i.imgur.com/0FEOiUz.gif

Made me laugh anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Religion a curse upon humanity...

"Christianity, like most religions, was set up to disempower people & control them.
    It was set up as a political vehicle.
    Sell people on their unworthiness & guilt and you can control them."

John Kaminski, Devils From Heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

cloud493 wrote: »

Made me laugh anyway.

...I'd never seen a rectal probe before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He says if it turns out god is real, and he's wrong, and he gets to speak to god at the gates of heaven, he will ask him why does bone cancer for children exist, why did he create a world in which so much misery exists which is not our fault? Why should I respect a god who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain?
    o

Ah I know. It's all your man's fault, Satan. All on him. And it's our fault as well. Because a couple of mythical people ate an apple in some imaginary place we all deserve punishment and pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If god as we "generally" are sold the idea exists there will be one hell of a queue to give "it" a good kicking ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I would ask, which god are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Fry has had a few digs at Christians, irionic that hes a jew.
    And anyway, he has a point,Why would god if he /she existed create a world with such misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Made me laugh anyway.

Who makes these things and can we be chums? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Saipanne wrote: »
    I would ask, which god are you?

chrysagon wrote: »
    And anyway, he has a point,Why would god if he /she existed create a world with such misery.

Jews believe in God too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He's dead right IMH. Then again I seem to recall there was a "heretical" Christian sect way back in the day that believed something along the lines that the world/universe was created and moulded by the devil as an illusion and you had to find the "real" god behind all of that. That would make more sense if the religion thing is your bag

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Do people think this is Gay Byrnes first gig?
    You can be sure he had his research done and knew exactly what type of answer Stephen Fry would give. It's not his first rodeo. He always pulled faces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nodin wrote: »
    Jews believe in God too.
    The same one indeed. The Christian and Muslim faiths are Judaism Ver 2.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Nodin wrote: »
    Jews believe in God too.

Yep. Same old Yahweh.

chrysagon wrote: »

Where's the irony? If he considers himself Jewish, he's only ethnically and culturally so. He's a strident atheist....obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 bb87

I don't agree with him. But it was a good answer. Fair play to him for his beliefs and what not.

Typical Fry, his unwillingness to explore what Genesis has to say as to why there is such suffering and evil, highlights his wilful ignorance and dishonesty.

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world. Why does Fry see more of Satan than God? Says a lot about him, really.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. Maybe Fry better stop lusting after young men and let go of this bitterness clearly revealed in this clip. Then he will see more of the one true God.

This man needs prayers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I like Fry and appreciate his talent and his public views on gay rights and depression.

I just wish listening to him wasn't like getting am interminable lecture from a intolerably pompous, posh headmaster.

bb87 wrote: »
    Typical Fry, his unwillingness to explore what Genesis has to say as to why there is such suffering and evil, highlights his wilful ignorance and dishonesty.

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world. Why does Fry see more of Satan than God? Says a lot about him, really.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. Maybe Fry better stop lusting after young men and let go of this bitterness clearly revealed in this clip. Then he will see more of the one true God.

This man needs prayers..

Re-reg trolls are the best kind of trolls.
    Edit - I quite like Fry's manner. Entirely subjective though.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The same one indeed. The Christian and Muslim faiths are Judaism Ver 2.

Well there's Jewish Atheism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_atheism

• Advertisement

bjork wrote: »
    Do people think this is Gay Byrnes first gig?
    You can be sure he had his research done and knew exactly what type of answer Stephen Fry would give. It's not his first rodeo. He always pulled faces.

Yet he was always more annoying on the radio. Mad but true.

Advertisement