Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pats accused of under inflating game balls against the Colts (MOD WARNING #457)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

OU812 wrote: »
    I think the colts fans should be pushing for either a rematch or to take the patriots place in the Super Bowl.

If they have a rematch & still don't go through fair enough, but there should be a severe penalty to the patriots.

How many other games did this happen in that wasn't spotter?

why is that? what results did the investigation conclude that the Patriots did illegal that means that the colts should get a rematch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I think the colts fans should be pushing for either a rematch or to take the patriots place in the Super Bowl.

If they have a rematch & still don't go through fair enough, but there should be a severe penalty to the patriots.

To be fair the rematch wont happen. If you honestly think the footballs were the reason the Pats won the game you are mad. The NFL are not going to do something as ridiculous as that even if the reports about the Patriots guilt is true.

The money, the scheduling the logistics take your pick of many reasons why that would never happen.

But hey if they want to rematch next weekend lets dance we will beat the Colts with fully inflated footballs any day.

Oh and fans don't get to decide what the NFL do or don't do.
    How many other games did this happen in that wasn't spotted?

Under inflated footballs was common practice for a long time in the NFL and college football. The Patriots didn't introduce the practice. Many teams have done it in the past. The Patriots just got caught doing it according to reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

There will probably be a fine and a loss of draft picks, but the idea that the Colts deserve a rematch is ludicrous. We've beaten them by an average of something like 20 or 30 points the last 4 meetings. The under inflated ball had nothing to do with them only scoring 7 points on Sunday, not does it have anything to do with Blount having 5 yards per carry, the Colts missing tackles all night, Adam Vinatieri missing his FG etc. This was also Brady's 5th worse passing yardage game of the season. Whatever advanced we hoped to gain (if it was deliberate) obviously didn't materialise.

I'm disappointed that there's now a stick for people to beat this team with, but we've been fantastic since Kansas City and are in the Super Bowl on merit. Our defense has only given up 7 fourth quarter points in the last 8 games or something equally as ridiculous. That's all on merit.

Adam Vinatieri missing his FG etc.

This especially. AV has never kicked a FG longer than 49 yards in Gillette. On Sunday he attempted and missed a 51 yard kick in wind and rain. Stood no chance of getting it. Besides the ST balls have nothing to do with game balls. Different batch all together.

the under inflated balls were also removed at half time. I suppose we need to find some other reason that the Patriots outscored them 28-0 without under inflated footballs.

• Advertisement

One thing is though what makes people think this is a slam dunk case against the Pats being penalised? Sure 11 footballs were 2 pounds lighter but if I deflated them myself I would put the onus on the NFL to prove I did in the first place and I am sure the Patriots will do the same. I am not defending the Patriots if they did in fact do it but what I am defending is the fact it all has to be proven. Plausible Deniability.

TO. wrote: »
    One thing is though what makes people think this is a slam dunk case against the Pats being penalised? Sure 11 footballs were 2 pounds lighter but if I deflated them myself I would put the onus on the NFL to prove I did in the first place and I am sure the Patriots will do the same. I am not defending the Patriots if they did in fact do it but what I am defending is the fact it all has to be proven. Plausible Deniability.

I highlighted the answer for you.

When Pats fans were giving out saying this was a media storm about nothing, we were told to wait until the report to see if it was the media creating a story over nothing and not to get on our high horse, but now without the report being issued the non Pats fans are running with the guilty verdict.

If the balls were under inflated in the refs inspection, that's their issue. If the balls were intentionally deflated on the sideline, then the Patriots will deserve any punishment they get. I hate these crappy twitter leak reports. Just do the god damn thing and stop drip feeding bits of info. All it does is make everything a million times worse.

bruschi wrote: »
    If the balls were intentionally deflated on the sideline, then the Patriots will deserve any punishment they get.

I agree but like the spygate incident there will be a hearing and the NFL will have prove to allegations to be legit. If they can't well lets be honest that is on them. If it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt we cheated then Bob and Bill deserve everything coming to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Leaving aside all of the logistics that would make it impossible, I doubt even the Colts would want a rematch. I don't think anyone is questioning that the (vastly) superior team won on Sunday. We don't know how seriously the NFL are going to come down, but fine and draft pick(s) seems likely. A fine alone would set a terrible precident.

I bet the NFL are furious they have to deal with and address this on, of all weeks, super bowl week. We will have to hear about deflategate for two weeks in the run up. Fairly or unfairly, it will be brought up again and again, just like spygate. I don't subscribe to the argument that it happens all the time or has happened before or some teams are known to have done it - similarly to Bountygate, they got caught, and in a conference championship of all games. It does beg the question - how many other games?

Regarding the burden of proof being on the NFL - 11 of 12 footballs really does make it a slam dunk - unless a rogue ballboy is found to be thrown under the bus.

I agree but like the spygate incident there will be a hearing and the NFL will have prove to allegations to be legit. If they can't well lets be honest that is on them. If it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt we cheated then Bob and Bill deserve everything coming to them.

I presume the standard is the balance of probabilities ie that it is more likely to have happened than not. That's the standard for sports tribunals/enquiries on this side of the Atlantic anyway.

• Advertisement

....just thinking on it a bit more, the best plausible explanation you could give would be a faulty pump. That would nicely explain 11 of 12 situation. Now, no NFL fan will believe that, and likely the NFL brass wouldn't either, but as the refs signed off on the balls what could you do. Of course the refs may say that the balls were fine at kickoff and were deflated thereafter. That would be an issue. I'd be running around trying to hobble the air machine in Foxboro today.

Yeah, maybe we should all wait for the final report to come out.

I presume the standard is the balance of probabilities ie that it is more likely to have happened than not. That's the standard for sports tribunals/enquiries on this side of the Atlantic anyway.

They may not have to prove anything beyond the fact that they brought the integrity of the league into disrepute, accidentally or otherwise.

OK, I'm going to take a wait and see approach and try to talk about football until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Under inflated footballs was common practice for a long time in the NFL and college football. The Patriots didn't introduce the practice. Many teams have done it in the past. The Patriots just got caught doing it according to reports.

You have to love how Pats fans imply 'everyone is at it' and 'we just got caught'

- wrong - the Pats were at it and got caught - and not for the first time -

It's the 'Patriot Way' :rolleyes:

If these reports turn out to be accurate the Pats will receive a very heavy fine - and the loss of draft pick/s. The Colts have no case for a rematch or replacing the Pats in the SB.

Personally I would reduce the Pats cap number by maybe €20million for a number of years - much better punishment for doing things the 'Patriot Way'.

....interesting from Peter King, from a story he did earlier in the year when he spent a week with an officiating crew. Basically the officials are the ones that inflate the balls...

Before the game, those 12 or 24 balls would have been returned to the officiating crew in the officials locker room. Each ball would be weighed and measured so that 12.5 to 13.5 pounds of pressure would be found in each football. Then the balls would be put in a zipped-up ball bag and, just before the start of the game, be handed to the ballboys working the sidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Don't know why you're using The Patriot Way in that context, it makes no sense.

The Patriot Way, though it may grate some, refers to no player being bigger than the organisation, the equal level of effort expected by a superstar QB/TE and practise squad fodder, and the lack of room for sentiment when making a football decision.

The context you've used it in doesn't make sense.

Don't know why you're using The Patriot Way in that context, it makes no sense.

The Patriot Way, though it may grate some, refers to no player being bigger than the organisation, the equal level of effort expected by a superstar QB/TE and practise squad fodder, and the lack of room for sentiment when making a football decision.

The context you've used it in doesn't make sense.

it does when you want to make yet another dig against the Patriots. Which said poster has more than enough form on so I just wouldnt bother going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I've moved these posts into a separate thread. It's a big story, regardless of anyone's views on it, and it was likely to get lost within the Conference Championships thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You have to love how Pats fans imply 'everyone is at it' and 'we just got caught'

- wrong - the Pats were at it and got caught - and not for the first time -

It's the 'Patriot Way' :rolleyes:

If these reports turn out to be accurate the Pats will receive a very heavy fine - and the loss of draft pick/s. The Colts have no case for a rematch or replacing the Pats in the SB.

Personally I would reduce the Pats cap number by maybe €20million for a number of years - much better punishment for doing things the 'Patriot Way'.

Tom Brady would like to respond personally to you.
    Quarterback Tom Brady laughed off the accusation during his Monday morning appearance on WEEI-FM.

"I think I've heard it all at this point," Brady said. "That's the last of my worries. I don't even respond to stuff like this."

It's fitting that the deflation scandal has descended upon on us in the two weeks of the football season designed to dispense hot air.

Can we at least wait till the NFL release their findings before having to defend this bull****?

Who gives a **** what click bait twitter accounts come out with?

Edit: Just to say, most journalists are reporting that it will simply be a small fine if it is true btw, no hysterical draft pick losses or heavy fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

That seems like a completely reasonable punishment to the Pats! I think that it's pretty clear that New England has something to answer for in this and that's what the investigation will show. Teams are always going to push to the limits of the regulations in any sport, that's the competitive edge that everyone strives for, and regardless of what Pats fans will think this isn't the league or the media being out to get them it's simply a case of a team being brought in front of the league to answer what happened.

If it's found that the Pats intentionally under inflated their game balls than this is a major issue for them. Will it mean a loss of draft picks, I'd say that's highly unlikely (maybe a mid round selection at worst) but it would be another black mark against the team. I'm sure that Pats fans around the world will unite and create an us against them mentality but if any fan looks at it objectively it's pretty clear that if the team did this there are going to be ramifications against the franchise.

Online I've seen a lot of Pats fans talk about "this didn't make a difference to the result" but the simple fact is that if rules were broken the Pats deserve to be punished and for the media to write negatively against them for this. Personally I hope that it's found that they did nothing wrong but their closed shop mentality under Bill has meant that they don't, and won't, get the benefit of the doubt in any borderline cases

frostie500 wrote: »
    That seems like a completely reasonable punishment to the Pats! I think that it's pretty clear that New England has something to answer for in this and that's what the investigation will show. Teams are always going to push to the limits of the regulations in any sport, that's the competitive edge that everyone strives for, and regardless of what Pats fans will think this isn't the league or the media being out to get them it's simply a case of a team being brought in front of the league to answer what happened.

If it's found that the Pats intentionally under inflated their game balls than this is a major issue for them. Will it mean a loss of draft picks, I'd say that's highly unlikely (maybe a mid round selection at worst) but it would be another black mark against the team. I'm sure that Pats fans around the world will unite and create an us against them mentality but if any fan looks at it objectively it's pretty clear that if the team did this there are going to be ramifications against the franchise.

Online I've seen a lot of Pats fans talk about "this didn't make a difference to the result" but the simple fact is that if rules were broken the Pats deserve to be punished
    and for the media to write negatively against them for this. Personally I hope that it's found that they did nothing wrong but their closed shop mentality under Bill has meant that they don't, and won't, get the benefit of the doubt in any borderline cases

I think you'll find most Pats on here have said IF they are clearly found guilty of intentionally, post inspection, tampering with the balls, then they deserve punishment.

• Advertisement

Bill has publicly said they will cooperate with the NFL and answer any questions they are asked. Not exactly a closed shop, players have referenced it, Brady laughed, Gronk with his tweets, Mccourty in the interview.

I am sure the league will have a finding by the end of the week, early next week at the latest as they will want it done before the SB and every leading up to that promotion wise.

Course it doesn't matter what they say now does it, they come out saying one ball was under inflated and the reasons for it are not clear or anything like that (damaged in play) wont matter a jot now, mud sticks. So we could skip straight to the part where lots of other teams fans take the pseudo moral high ground and ride the Patriots are big fat cheaters train round in circles now I guess.

kryogen wrote: »
    I am sure the league will have a finding by the end of the week, early next week at the latest as they will want it done before the SB and every leading up to that promotion wise.

Course it doesn't matter what they say now does it, they come out saying one ball was under inflated and the reasons for it are not clear or anything like that (damaged in play) wont matter a jot now, mud sticks. So we could skip straight to the part where lots of other teams fans take the pseudo moral high ground and ride the Patriots are big fat cheaters train round in circles now I guess.

posted on 14 January
    bruschi wrote: »

Also, I'm really preparing myself this week, and potentially later on for the usual Belicheat/spygate/classless crap that gets thrown our way. Whilst its hard to ignore the trolls, at least on here its not bad, and I'd hope it stays that way.

I didnt think we'd have a new topic though.

Keeps things interesting I guess :) Afraid some may be too young to remember spygate I suppose

kryogen wrote: »
    Keeps things interesting I guess :) Afraid some may be too young to remember spygate I suppose

it doesnt stop people talking about it though. nor does the actual knowledge of the spygate case and the whole investigation and the issues around it make any difference either. Just throw it out regardless.

I think it makes it easier to deal with though, so many people spout rubbish and you know straight away they have no real insight into the case or anything so its much easier to laugh off.

Just hope they do this investigation quick and get it over with, don't need any distractions next week. Getting a flashback of the 08 bowl as we speak :)

Ravens looking like some dopes right now actually, which is amusing me this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

This might be a stupid question but would the balls not be the same for each team and if the a deflated balls are easier to catch and pass would this not be more of an advantage to the more pass reliant offense of the Colts?

Or do the teams use their own balls or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

ahh come off it mate it looks like the pats broke a rule and they should be penalised if they did (a pick somwhere between the 2nd-4th rounds imo) but in no way shape or form would the colts have won that game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but would the balls not be the same for each team and if the a deflated balls are easier to catch and pass would this not be more of an advantage to the more pass reliant offense of the Colts?

Or do the teams use their own balls or something?

yes each team has 12 balls that they use the only reason they would use the other teams balls is if the ref deems all of theres insufficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

If Colts get a replay then the 2010 World Cup should be replayed and Ireland get added as the 33rd team!

Advertisement