Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Today Show - Free Consumer Help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just the perfect example if the offer sounds too good to be true it usually is.

In fact, T&C is something that the show could look into. All the latest ones are huge and they know no-one will ever read it all, so they can hide anything they want in it and then catch you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think the Yourtel suggestion is an excellent one. That operation has affected many posters, especially older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 James Doyle123

Hi I'm wondering where I stand in relation to my 3 month old telly. I bought it in Harvey Normans in November and all was fine.
    Then one night all the channels got mixed up or deleted. Fixed this took about a hour to organise the channels and all was fine then it happened about 3-5 more times usually requiring another hour setup time. I have been into lg about this and they have informed me that the issue is with the satellite tuner they say it's not compatible with the Irish market. And I'll have to purchase a set top box to be able to enjoy "hassle free" tv.

I believe this falls under the not fix for purpose part of the sale of goods act

Surly a tv should only have to be tuned once and not 2-3 time a month.

Any info or advice on this would be great
    And thanks in advance

Posted in main forum also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Hi RTÉ Today Show, I signed up to the Setanta Sports for €1 offer in December. I assumed it was for a month so rang them to cancel the other day as we had it for 29 days at that stage. They told me I should have read the T&C's properly as it stated anyone who doesn't cancel the €1 offer by the 31st of December would be automatically signed up with them for a minimum of 2 months at full price.

So what I thought looked like a nice €1 offer before Christmas has now turned into a minimum of €45. I said to them I don't want the channels for the next 2 months and I want to cancel, they refused to cancel my subscription unless I pay the full €45 first which puts me in the strange position of having a service we don't want! In a subsequent email I reiterated I don't want the channels but again they refused to cancel. So I'm going to owe them another €22 each month unless I clear what I 'owe' them. Reckon I'll owe them about €300 by the end of the year.

Terrible way for a company to do business in my opinion.

You SHOULD have read the T's & C's!! The fact that you didn't is hardly Setanta's fault. Why didn't you e-mail instead?

I took advantage of that offer last year. Couldn't call on the 31st to cancel, as the lines were perma busy. I e-mailed them instead. Guess what? They took account of the e-mail, and called me to give me another offer.

Done this several times since, and still have the Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi I'm wondering where I stand in relation to my 3 month old telly. I bought it in Harvey Normans in November and all was fine.
    Then one night all the channels got mixed up or deleted. Fixed this took about a hour to organise the channels and all was fine then it happened about 3-5 more times usually requiring another hour setup time. I have been into lg about this and they have informed me that the issue is with the satellite tuner they say it's not compatible with the Irish market. And I'll have to purchase a set top box to be able to enjoy "hassle free" tv.

I believe this falls under the not fix for purpose part of the sale of goods act

Surly a tv should only have to be tuned once and not 2-3 time a month.

Any info or advice on this would be great
    And thanks in advance

Posted in main forum also
    Generic freesats occasionally need a bit of a retune. There is nothing wrong with your TV just your expectation of it. It happens now and then that a station or two gets moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 responsive

I had an issue with 3 mobile recently. I went to store and got an upgrade, including a change in package from one with 90 free units to one with 350 free units. Then I continued getting billed as if on 90 units (which made my bill much higher because I had increased my usage). I contacted them about this and it took another month, and another billing period, to rectify and the issued a refund of €30, which they say is the difference would have been in my bills over the 3 months.

Since then they cut me off and I have raised cases twice even when bills were paid. I have gotten no satisfaction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

You SHOULD have read the T's & C's!! The fact that you didn't is hardly Setanta's fault. Why didn't you e-mail instead?

I took advantage of that offer last year. Couldn't call on the 31st to cancel, as the lines were perma busy. I e-mailed them instead. Guess what? They took account of the e-mail, and called me to give me another offer.

Done this several times since, and still have the Setanta.

Get off it, the vast majority of people don't read the T&C's and Setanta know this!

Here's a link to the €1 offer on the Setanta website.
    So now, after being burned by them I actually have read the T&C's and they aren't clear at all!
    Frequently asked questions:
    What are the terms and conditions of the €1 offer?
    A connection fee of €1 applies for this service. Offer available online only. Offer available for credit card and debit card customers only. You can cancel your subscription in the first 30 days by going online. Setanta is a subscription service. Customers who do not cancel during their 30 day trial will be billed €21.99 per month or €199 per year thereafter. There is no annual contract but 30 days’ notice of cancellation will be required after the trial period expires. Offer available for satellite customers only. Offer does not apply to existing customers. Fixtures subject to change.
    The full terms and conditions of the Setanta Sports service are available here

See the bolded bit? I did cancel the subscription within the firt 30 days but they wouldn't let me! They said I now owe them €45 as I'm signed up to a minimum 2 month contract.:confused: Could you tell me where that is in the T&C's please? There must be other pages with T&C's somewhere, impossible to follow though and an absolutely terrible way to conduct business by them in my opinion. I won't be dealing with them again anyway that's for sure.

Get off it, the vast majority of people don't read the T&C's and Setanta know this!

Here's a link to the €1 offer on the Setanta website.
    So now, after being burned by them I actually have read the T&C's and they aren't clear at all!

See the bolded bit? I did cancel the subscription within the firt 30 days but they wouldn't let me! They said I now owe them €45 as I'm signed up to a minimum 2 month contract.:confused: Could you tell me where that is in the T&C's please? There must be other pages with T&C's somewhere, impossible to follow though and an absolutely terrible way to conduct business by them in my opinion. I won't be dealing with them again anyway that's for sure.

It's your money. But I do this really radical thing. If there's something I don't understand? I ASK!! It's really not rocket science...

It's your money. But I do this really radical thing. If there's something I don't understand? I ASK!! It's really not rocket science...

Eh, what's there to understand? As clear as day it says on their FAQ that "You can cancel your subscription in the first 30 days" so I assumed that once I cancelled within 30 days all would be well. Instead I ended up being signed up to a 2 month contract! Two totally different things! Its bad form by Setanta full stop.

Eh, what's there to understand? As clear as day it says on their FAQ that "You can cancel your subscription in the first 30 days" so I assumed that once I cancelled within 30 days all would be well. Instead I ended up being signed up to a 2 month contract! Two totally different things! Its bad form by Setanta full stop.

OK. So when did the offer start and when did you cancel? If the offer ends on the 31st, then it would be prudent to cancel the week before just in case, no?

• Advertisement

Two basic errors. A. You read the FAQ not the T&Cs - a huge difference. B. You assumed.

OK. So when did the offer start and when did you cancel? If the offer ends on the 31st, then it would be prudent to cancel the week before just in case, no?

I thought it was €1 for a month. I rang to cancel within that one month.
    Two basic errors. A. You read the FAQ not the T&Cs - a huge difference. B. You assumed.

This is directly quoted from their web page and a link to that page is here.
    A connection fee of €1 applies for this service. Offer available online only. Offer available for credit card and debit card customers only. You can cancel your subscription in the first 30 days by going online. Setanta is a subscription service. Customers who do not cancel during their 30 day trial will be billed €21.99 per month or €199 per year thereafter. There is no annual contract but 30 days’ notice of cancellation will be required after the trial period expires. Offer available for satellite customers only. Offer does not apply to existing customers. Fixtures subject to change

So my synopsis of the above information is.

You can cancel your subscription in the first 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

What about UPS charging €14.50 + €6 handling for the service of collecting VAT for the revenue. They arrive at the door with your package (from abroad) and demand cash on delivery.
    I asked their billing department the reason for the charge. She said they had to set up an account with revenue; @ 14.50 per package the set cost must be astronomical.

Is it 14.50 plus 6 on top of the amount they are collecting for revenue ? Or was your total 20.50 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Some organisation is charging people over €160 a year for things they don't want and don't use, and jailing people who don't pay.

They've even got the government in on it. Horrific.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Hi,
    There is this company I pay a yearly fee to and I am finding the quality of their product to be a mixed bag at best. While at times they can be great and appeal to me on many levels, often I'm left very confused as to what they do with the money I pay. They seem to spend an awful lot of that money on celebrities and seem to have an elevated view on their actual importance to society. They are also extremely interested in talent competitions and seem to run them over and over for no good reason, and from those shows they again go and create celebrities out of the contestants and show them on other produce, whether us consumers like it or not. In fact, I heard that one celebrity that very very few people actually liked was the main man in a project that discussed the real impact of the recent depression on those who would be most affected by it and he was paid in excess of €600,000 that year for reasons one cannot fathom. Its not like any other company places any actual value in him, but yet he was paid that extortionate amount anyway.
    The company also really likes deflecting issues such as the recent water charges despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of its customer base think its a really stupid idea and would like the company to stand up for them. I don't know, maybe they are connected to that water company, wait, that's unlikely, I'd say they just have friends that are connected with it instead and think its good to stand up for friends, even if they are lying a**holes who are more interested in a tiny percentage of their customer base. It all just seems a bit weird.

And one time they did this and still haven't apologised for it:
    A horrible waste of everyone's time and is frankly unbelievable that it was ever made. Whoever okayed it must have either been really bad at their job or had a vested interest in someone else involved
    It was of terrible quality and felt more like a slap in the face rather than anything of any actual value.

Anyhow, that's the company I'd like to see analysed and pulled apart by you, a publicly funded media outlet who has an active interest in doing what's right for the people that fund you, us. You seem like great ladies and lads and I'm sure you will do a thorough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

BMMachine wrote: »
    <SNIP> please do not quote entire posts.

I liked This is Nightlive because my dad thought it was real news (Yes I'm serious :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@BMMachine - less of the political sarcasm please. Please focus on a specific consumer issue

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Eircom covering free national calls in their bundles yet charging for the so called lo-call 1850 or 1890 calls?

Dodge the 1890 numbers... they almost never work out in your favour... this site finds the standard number associated for popular providers:

http://www.saynoto1890.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Here's something that might be of interest to the show:

Let me start by saying that I have been a happy Three customer for years using both voice and data services.
    However I am currently involved in a dispute with them that seems to be going nowhere. I have tried to work out an acceptable solution but as they are denying any responsibility I feel like there is no other option than to post the issue here publicly.

I purchased a Nokia handset through the Three online shop on December 18th 2013.
    No problems with the handset at all and my daughter used it with the Three sim ordered together with it without any issues. Until November 2014 when the handset just died.
    I contacted Three support via Twitter and they advised me to return the handset to a Three store.
    As the one in Nenagh was the nearest I returned it to there on December 5th. The person in the shop checked the warranty, confirmed that it was still valid and that they would send the phone away for repair.
    I was told I would be contacted when they had news for me.
    When I had not heard from them by December 22nd I rang them and was told that they were waiting for a replacement part.
    I rang again sometime in between Christmas and New Years and was then told that they had received a replacement phone covered by warranty.
    I was unable to collect the phone until last Friday January 9th.
    I collected the phone from the store in Nenagh but was unable to test it in the store as the phone wasn't charged. To be honest I didn't even think I needed to.
    After coming home and putting the original sim in the phone it came up with a message that it was locked to a different provider.
    A few calls to Three support determined that the handset was locked to Vodafone and I was told to follow it up after the weekend to get an unlock code.

Since Monday I have had a lengthy exchange with the @ThreeCare account on Twitter as well as emails with Three support directly.
    Three now states that the handset sent back was one locked to Vodafone so when they sent it to Nokia for repair Nokia sent back a replacement handset also locked to Vodafone.
    This makes no sense as the handset returned to the store by my was without question the handset which was purchased from Three *and* the one used with the Three sim (which would be impossible with a handset locked to Vodafone).
    Three support keep referring to the IMEI number of the handset received back from the store but as I did not write down the IMEI number of the handset returned (I didn't think I had to) this has little value.
    They have however confirmed that the IMEI of the Vodafone handset in question was *never* used with the sim or number which we have. I have asked them to find out what number or account it has been used with (so that we can determine the real owner of this handset) but they have said that they cannot do this.

In short, after a week of back and forth messages Three refuses to budge. Now I do not contest that the phone received by the repair center is a Vodafone handset. It clearly is and Three have gone out of their way to prove it.
    What I do contest strongly is that this is the handset which I returned to the store.
    I have provided proof of purchase both when returning the handset as well as repeatedly in the last week to various Three representatives.
    What stood out is the chaotic way in which my complaint has been dealt with. I sent all details, copies of proof of purchase, proof of identity, copies of the "booking in sheet" and "test and repair center form" on Monday and have since been asked to supply the same again on at least three occasions. By people in the same department. In spite of that they claim that it is impossible that there could have been a mixup with the handset on their side.
    None of the documentation given at time of purchase or at time of return has the IMEI number on it and at no point did I expect that I had to note this so that I could provide it as proof at a later stage.

So at this point Three is alleging that I returned a Vodafone handset to Three trying to get it covered by warranty. Completely ignoring the fact that it would have been impossible to use this phone with our Three sims or accounts.
    They are also refusing to assist in determining who this handset belongs to, or at least what number. Doing so would go a long way to clearing this situation up.
    I also find it suspect that a Vodafone handset could be sent back by Three for repair and a Vodafone locked handset sent back as replacement and that this mixup is not discovered until the customer (me) tries to use their Three sim with the phone. Am I really to believe that at no point did anyone wonder why Three was a) sending back a Vodafone handset & b) why a Vodafone handset would be sent back to Three.

It appears to me at this stage that a mixup happened at some point *after* I returned the handset and that Three are trying to pull their hands of and put the blame at my doorstep.
    I find this highly questionable behaviour and will proceed by given them written notice via registered mail of my intent to file a case with the small claims court.

As an aside; we're talking about a Nokia Lumia 520 here, hardly a top of the range phone at just 130 euro. For me it's a matter of principle at this stage but for Three it would save them a lot of hassle and embarrassment if they either sent me an unlock code for the Vodafone handset or replaced it with a Three handset....

fionny wrote: »
    Dodge the 1890 numbers... they almost never work out in your favour... this site finds the standard number associated for popular providers:

http://www.saynoto1890.com/

I'm well familiar with that site but most of the numbers I look up aren't on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Fair enough :) Thought it might help, I just normally look for the "calling from outside Ireland?" number

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

mayhem# wrote: »
    Three support keep referring to the IMEI number of the handset received back from the store but as I did not write down the IMEI number of the handset returned (I didn't think I had to) this has little value.
    They have however confirmed that the IMEI of the Vodafone handset in question was *never* used with the sim or number which we have. I have asked them to find out what number or account it has been used with (so that we can determine the real owner of this handset) but they have said that they cannot do this

Any chance you still have original box for the phone? If so the IMEI number is usually printed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

ISSUE 1: Plastic Bag Pricing

The first issue that RTE Today should investigate is bag pricing in supermarkets within Ireland:

Specifically - re-usable plastic bags that within the UK Tescos (for example) are sold for 10p.

In Ireland - they are sold for 70c - and the lower tier bags are poor quality and unsuitable for carring any kind of weight or food with an edge. The reason retailers sell these at 70c is to increase their revenue because they can avoid paying taxes if they price them above 70c.

I'd love to hear the public response if everyone knew this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

ISSUE 2: Assymetric Companies (such as THREE) optimised for extracting revenue vs delivering on services

For example, Three mobile have network management software that can see at any given time the signal quality of a customer's connection and their network performance. Often, due to overselling subscriptions relative to capacity this will lead to diminished service at which point, Three have designed their organisation so the onus is on the customer to pursue Three to fix them. Often, the factors that control quality of service (such as network capacity) are completely out of the customers control and Three will then employ a behavioural technique of suggesting the customers who contact them take multiple time consuming, inconvenient actions such as sending a phone off for repair or changing a sim, probably in the thinking that, many customers lack the clarity to follow through and lack the technical knowhow to understand the issues with their phone are network related and not handset related.

In parallel, Three have optimised their whole billing process to pursue payment incredibly aggressively, auto-dialing customers several times a day and connecting them with insistent and often rude staff if bills are more than a few days late.

Thus, Three have the organisational psychological know-how to HERD their customers, by getting away with poor service delivery and make resolution difficult and often impossible, and using the same psychology the other way around to extract as much revenue as possible.

Need proof of this? Spend a few hours reading the Three forum on Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭wandererz

Here's a detailed example of a problem that could be chased up:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057362629

Thanks

I think telecoms in general is something that could be looked at. Customer service seems to be non-existent from reading some of the threads. Billing seems to be a bit of a bugbear too.

My own personal gripe is the shocking service provided by Vodafone with regard to my BB. In fairness to them, it's not totally their fault. We're on the e-fibre network from Eircom and Voda are a re-seller of the same. It's supposed to be up to 70MB. Although we live less than 2km from the SV/EX, we're lucky to see 20. Repeated complaints about the speed to Voda have had no effect, so I've given up there.

Perhaps this is something that could be looked at as well?

turbot wrote: »
    ISSUE 1: Plastic Bag Pricing

The first issue that RTE Today should investigate is bag pricing in supermarkets within Ireland:

Specifically - re-usable plastic bags that within the UK Tescos (for example) are sold for 10p.

In Ireland - they are sold for 70c - and the lower tier bags are poor quality and unsuitable for carring any kind of weight or food with an edge. The reason retailers sell these at 70c is to increase their revenue because they can avoid paying taxes if they price them above 70c.

I'd love to hear the public response if everyone knew this!

Plastic Bag Tax rates are different for a start as its over 4 times higher here than the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pa the Blah

Sometime ago I had an apartment that had gas supplied by Bord Gáis, When I was moving from the apartment to a new home I was in credit it was a small sum I think around 40€ I asked if they could deposit the monies owed into my account, they responded by saying they don't offer refunds and I could claim the money back off my next Bord Gáis bill from my new home, I told them that my new home did not have gas fitted. to this date I have not received the money owed.

I can't help but wonder how many more people have had this has happen to them.

Double standards, if you owe money you'll get hounded till you pay or possible prosecution.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I think this was one of the more interesting scams posted here in the last year: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90198852

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I got an iPhone 5 feb 2013 on contract with my carrier. Shortly after I started using it the top button started to fail and eventually it failed completely. Luckily at that time it was still in warranty, so I waited until it was almost a year and then following the advice of my carrier apple repaired/replaced it. Recently the replacement phone out of the blue just shut off and I couldn't even put it in recovery mode. Eventually I got it into recovery and it started back up as if it had never died. Since this event (late October) the battery life is really poor and a 5 minute phone call can reduce the battery by 20% or more. Sometimes it seems fine but I couldn't rely on it because it sometimes goes dead at 20 or 30 percent. Also, the charging port only charges sometimes. You might say this is damaged, but how would it have damaged itself? It worked fine before the phone died and it wasn't dropped or anything! I got in touch with my carrier because as far as I'm concerned the original contract was with them, therefore they should stand over the replacement for a reasonable time but feb to oct is not reasonable for a phone to deteriorate this much. After a few phonecalls and assurances that a supervisor would get back to me... Nothing... What should I do now? Do I have much right to be complaining?

I contacted my carriers customer care again today and after a long drawn out conversation the agent was adamant that because the original phone was beyond the 12 month warranty offered by both the carrier and apple, the carrier would not replace, even though this is actually a replacement phone, but could send it for repair at a cost to me. I thought warranty expiration wouldn't really matter in this case but she assured me there was nothing that could be done and that there wasn't much point in being transferred to a supervisor as they would just be repeating what she said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement