Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Does anyone know if the 40FT or TTT operate the same door policy as the UK, no football colours/clothes?

Is that actual policy in u.k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Is that actual policy in u.k?

It is all over London from what I could see last time I was there. Also, the "rules" at Funderland said "no team colours" for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

BMJD wrote: »
    It is all over London from what I could see last time I was there. Also, the "rules" at Funderland said "no team colours" for some reason!

Maybe a London thing, ive been in other spoons and didnt see it enforced unless its a rule for night's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I've seen the no team colours signs in pubs in Manchester (not Spoons)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Home colours only in the Coronet and the one near Highbury and Islington station on Arsenal match days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Her constituency has Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock in it, the wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought the safest place to have alcohol is in a bar where you have a professional pouring your drinks, always with your best interests in mind.

If minimum pricing did come in, who would the extra money go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I thought the safest place to have alcohol is in a bar where you have a professional pouring your drinks, always with your best interests in mind.

Legally enforced extra driving lessons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWJPAC1EN8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

With higher excise, the extra (typically) goes to the State.

With higher minimum unit pricing, as in Scotland, the sellers get the higher price.

Could be supplier / wholesaler / retailer.

• Advertisement

Note that MUP would not affect pubs, just off-licences.

Geuze wrote: »
    Note that MUP would not affect pubs, just off-licences.

Not if this lobbyist gets her way...
    Plans for more pubs this year will continue, despite calls from Dun Laoghaire-based Government TD Mary Mitchell O'Connor and Alcohol Action Ireland for the immediate introduction of Minimum Unit Pricing (MUP) - not just in off-licences, but also in pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Weatherspoon are investing 50 million in the republic, as a starter, and creating jobs and lots of tax revenue.

You have to wonder about the motives of this politician in seeking to oppose this.

Without doubt in time Weatherpoon will dominate the Irish pub trade, same as in the UK.

You cant argue with economics, if you can sell something at half the price of competitors and often at a better quality, you will dominate the market.

Fair play to Tim Martin, he has gone from 1 pub to 935 at a time pubs are closing and in the process supported local micro breweries.

Things I like about Weatherspoon.

Does what it say on the tin, you can get a meal and a pint for peanuts. I don't like being ripped off. It also has high food hygiene standards.

They support small micro breweries and have helped regenerate craft beer brining it to a wide audience.

They are often employer of the year in the UK, they treat their staff well.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/news/wetherspoon-named-as-a-top-employer-for-2012

They raise a lot of charity, over 2O million since opening.

http://mobile.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/Boxer-Barry-McGuigan-praises-JD-Wetherspoon-s-9m-for-children-s-cancer-charity#.VKmTqlIqVdg

Also Tim Martin drinks in his own pubs, if there is a problem and you write to him direct, its likely he will call you up and seek to sort it out.

I find if something lacks with service in Weatherspoon, point it out, usually you get offered a free dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

€4 for a pint of Hobgoblin and a coke today in Blackrock. You'd be lucky to get change out of a tenner for something similar in Temple Bar!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Reading trip advisor Dublin, virtually every tourist commentating felt they were ripped off in pubs in Dublin.

So not only are these government supported gombeen publicans in Dublin overcharging, they are damaging the tourist industry.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Ireland/County_Dublin/Dublin-296021/Tourist_Traps-Dublin-Temple_Bar-BR-1.html

Not if this lobbyist gets her way...

Sorry, I meant that MUP rules won' t affect pub prices, as pub prices are already well above the proposed minimum prices.

Sorry, I meant that MUP rules won' t affect pub prices, as pub prices are already well above the proposed minimum prices.

But surely the whole point of her comments are that the prices will be changed for the on trade? Which will mean if she gets her way there'll be no more €2.50 pints.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Are the signs for Burn's Night up in the Dublin bars? Posters are up here advertising Punk IPA for £2.29 and a few single malts for £2.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But surely the whole point of her comments are that the prices will be changed for the on trade? Which will mean if she gets her way there'll be no more €2.50 pints.

Minimum alcohol pricing is per unit of alcohol, so in theory the minimum price
    for a 4% and a 5% pint would be different, and that minimum price would apply to both on and off sales. So to guarantee no 2.50 pints in Wetherspoons, you would effectively have to set the unit pricing at a level that there could be no 2.50 pint sized 4% cans\bottles in supermarkets also.

Minimum alcohol pricing was planned for introduction in Scotland but held up by appeal to European Court of Justice.
    They planned 50p per unit, which would mean minimum price for a 4% pint of £1.10, and minimum price for a 5% pint of about £1.40.
    So we would have to have €1.15 per unit or so, almost double the Scottish level.

Honestly, I doubt that the TD in question has a clue as to what she's talking about and is just spouting to get publicity that she's "doing something" about Wetherspoons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The Scottish min is 50p per unit of alc.

That's about 60c, or 1.20 euro per pint.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Honestly, I doubt that the TD in question has a clue as to what she's talking about and is just spouting to get publicity that she's "doing something" about Wetherspoons.

In fairness, this is the same TD that tried to drive down the steps of Leinster house. She doesn't seem the sharpest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

She also doesn't seem to have twigged that a beer in the offy costs a fraction of what a €2.50 beer in Wetherspoons does.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's actually frightening that the likes of MMOC can qualify as a teacher.

Won't somebody think about the children.

At least if we keep her in Dail Eireann she's not stupiding a class.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, this is the same TD that tried to drive down the steps of Leinster house. She doesn't seem the sharpest.

Post of the year (so far)!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/protect-the-uniqueness-of-irish-pubs-from-jd-wetherspoon-s-inexorable-advance-1.2054453

Irish Times "journalist" doesn't like the idea of the plebs getting to choose what type of pub they drink in. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭StudentDad

The impression created by some of these posts and the comments after the above article is that the Royal Marines have landed on the east coast and are now consolidating their position, prior to the annexation of the rest of the country.

Where is this nonsense coming from?

SD

StudentDad wrote: »
    The impression created by some of these posts and the comments after the above article is that the Royal Marines have landed on the east coast and are now consolidating their position, prior to the annexation of the rest of the country.

Where is this nonsense coming from?

SD
    I don't give much sway to conspiracy theories........however, the Vinters Lobby is a strong one and they are clearly feeling threatened.

I mentioned earlier that it's surprising that they haven't come out on the attack yet, but by the looks of it the offensive has now started.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,133 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Journal are claiming that the non-Heineken Heineken products will be back shortly in Ireland and all of them in the UK. Can't find a reputable source yet though.

Heineken Ireland are obviously desperate to protect the "premium" image to an utterly ridiculous extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

L1011 wrote: »
    The Journal are claiming that the non-Heineken Heineken products will be back shortly in Ireland and all of them in the UK. Can't find a reputable source yet though.

Heineken Ireland are obviously desperate to protect the "premium" image to an utterly ridiculous extent.

They could well have done a deal, but want and need to save face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Zebra3 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/protect-the-uniqueness-of-irish-pubs-from-jd-wetherspoon-s-inexorable-advance-1.2054453

Irish Times "journalist" doesn't like the idea of the plebs getting to choose what type of pub they drink in. :rolleyes:

"Irish pubs can also be magical" yes they can and good one will survive, but they can be experiences and poor value for money.

Ultimately competition is best for the consumer and is also good for the industry to weed out those that are bring it down.

Advertisement