Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

what beat has eminem crafted that sounds fresh in 2014 ? Obviously Kanye didn't pioneer this sound but he's jumped on it pretty fast for a mainstream album. Same thing he did with the industrial sound that clppng / death grips / RTJ was on at the time of Yeezus. ( I just think he didn't understand that trend very well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Auto tune is not exactly rapping is it? he abandoned the mic to make a pop album, lets be honest. As far as him wearing women's clothes and spazzing out like a clown, it speaks for itself.

No 808s was a pretty much a pop album with some rapping on it I still can't see how that is him selling out tbh. He tried something new, which is what innovative artists do. The next album he put out was MBDTF which speaks for itself.

You're still going on about what he wears as if it effects the type of music he makes. I saw himself and Jay Z on the WTT tour, Kanye was wearing a skirt and put on one of the best live hip hop shows I've ever seen. It seems like you pay attention to his personal life more than you do his music, I don't care what he does outside the studio or stage, I don't pay attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm not even sure Kanye argued that 808s was a Hip-Hop album. Personally I didn't like the album - didn't like Yeezus either - but as someone said real artists try something different every album (aka Outkast, Kanye, The Roots, Nas etc), rather than just re-hashing the same concepts/ideas (aka Eminem).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Auto tune is not exactly rapping is it? he abandoned the mic to make a pop album, lets be honest. As far as him wearing women's clothes and spazzing out like a clown, it speaks for itself.

was it hip hop?

you cant be serious, from a hip hop and commercial perspective he wipes the floor with kanye when it comes to relevance. Kanye is in the news for his personal life way more than he is musically. Also its worth noting he's mainly relevant in the media because of that complete slut he's with or the blatantly obvious staged outbursts, aka cries for attention.

The last album yeezus, complete and utter rubbish, serious headache even thinking about it. Best described as pure noise,and don't get me started on the ego driven average abc lyrics, no way comparable to em as an emcee.

What does any of that have to do with Kanye West's skill on the mic? Particularly the bit about the "complete slut" he's with? You seem to be very annoyed by him, perhaps go listen to another Eminem/Rhianna classic to take your mind off it :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I still can't get my head around why there is hatred for Kanye. Hip Hop pure-ists obviously don't like him for his stepping outside of the hip hop sound that he owned and dominated for the early part of his career.
    What he says in the media actually makes alot of sense, and I'm sure having to repeat it constantly is tedious.
    As for Kim, are you saying you wouldn't?
    As for his fashion, he doesn't follow trends, he tries to set them. That show other sides of his innovation, and that people do latch on to it.
    The dude is a genius. A risk taking genius.

The only conclusion I can make is that some guys have that jealousy thing that would be alot more prevalent in females. You know how a girl will hate Y in the celebrity world because of a certain photo shoot, and its' mainly jealousy that they dont look that good.

Just to add, I don't agree with his fashion choices, I don't like all his music but I respect his cajones in actually doing it.

FYI - the leaked images of the new Yeezi had me laughing they looked so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

man seriously what is your problem with Kanye? I'm not gonna get into an argument with you, I did not enjoy Yeezus either but spazzing out? he's with a complete slut? Talking again again about what he wears?

My problem, hes a materialistic moran who represents a lot of what's wrong with society in general. I seriously can't see how someone could like a personality like the one he portrays, obviously none of us know him personally, but he acts like a spoilt brat. He's a multi millionaire who's let money change and influence him way too much, he's completely changed as an artist.

kim kardashian is a slut, there's no point in acting like she's not, we've all seen the ray j video. Who really cares about his fashion exploits, the interview with sway sums it all up, yet another example of his spoilt, horrible manner.

Musically, he's overhyped. 1st two albums were great, 3rd average imo, mbdtf had nice beats but was too feature heavy and as previously said here, overcooked some unnecessary stuff on it.
    I still can't get my head around why there is hatred for Kanye

in fairness boom bap he's fairly popular here on boards, i've never been a big fan which is obvious but he's always quickly defended here like he can do no wrong.
    As for Kim, are you saying you wouldn't?

of course i would but with kanyes money to settle with that kind of woman? not a hope, you'd have nearly any woman on the planet with his cash, definitely one who hasn't had half of hollywood's d*cks inside her, she defines the term bike, shes the hollywood bike.

She bought those looks anyway, not as if there natural.
    What does any of that have to do with Kanye West's skill on the mic?

you must of missed bound 2 :D, just horrible, pass me the paracetamol.

btw, im not defending em as a producer, i dont like the majority of his production. As far as lunch money, love pusha t, but even his flow cant make up for that butchered beat he's on, horrible, yeezus like, all over the place.

My problem, hes a materialistic moran who represents a lot of what's wrong with society in general. I seriously can't see how someone could like a personality like the one he portrays, obviously none of us know him personally, but he acts like a spoilt brat. He's a multi millionaire who's let money change and influence him way too much, he's completely changed as an artist.

kim kardashian is a slut, there's no point in acting like she's not, we've all seen the ray j video. Who really cares about his fashion exploits, the interview with sway sums it all up, yet another example of his spoilt, horrible manner.

Musically, he's overhyped. 1st two albums were great, 3rd average imo, mbdtf had nice beats but was too feature heavy and as previously said here, overcooked some unnecessary stuff on it.

in fairness boom bap he's fairly popular here on boards, i've never been a big fan which is obvious but he's always quickly defended here like he can do no wrong.

of course i would but with kanyes money to settle with that kind of woman? not a hope, you'd have nearly any woman on the planet with his cash, definitely one who hasn't had half of hollywood's d*cks inside her, she defines the term bike, shes the hollywood bike.

again, moran ( sic) , his interviews, his wife (this is not the gossip forum). Who cares? Can you talk music ? In any case I agree with you , Bound 2 sees him perform very poorly as an MC (marginally better as a producer). However he has shown he can rap, and no-one can dispute his producer chops.

An added point: could you please avoid calling anyone a 'slut' etc ? just as a favour for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

It would be great if the likes of Jay-Z and Eminem had the same ambition as Kanye to try something new. Even if I didn't like atleast it's not another meh album like the last 10 years.

Doris300 wrote: »
    It would be great if the likes of Jay-Z and Eminem had the same ambition as Kanye to try something new. Even if I didn't like atleast it's not another meh album like the last 10 years.

American Gangster was 7 years ago for Jay -Z :)

Joking aside, your point completely stands.

That's why I applaud artists who try things instead of rehashing - look at Big Boi - made a classic album (Sir Lucious Left Foot) when he went solo, and then for the second one he went kinda indie rock/ electronic. Now, I don't think it's his best stuff, but I admire the sheer vision and ambition he had making that record (Vicious Lies).

On the other hand, not everyone has to re-invent themselves.
    Look at Ghostface - he isn't afraid to get out there, collaborate with different people and stir things up. Yeah he's true to his style but it feels like he's trying to stay ahead of the game and the competition

And Scarface - the man has evolved in a perfectly natural way. No huge upset in his lyrics, no 180 turn, no wild left-side collabos. He has just grown older and wiser ( and crankier (if possible)) and the music has grown with him.

As you can see via other artists, a rapper can have longevity via many different routes - reinvention, consistency, evolution, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

That lunch money beat is trash.

I couldn't wait to hear it and couldn't believe how bad it was. And it's not Pusha's fault.

I genuinely think Kanye has lost it. I wasn't a fan of yeezus , although I really loved bound2... I tell people it's a great track and Kanye then brings out that cretinous video for it.

Huge Kanye fan btw, I just think he looks to have lost all boundaries and speaks like someone who has totally lost the run of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

btw, im not defending em as a producer, i dont like the majority of his production. As far as lunch money, love pusha t, but even his flow cant make up for that butchered beat he's on, horrible, yeezus like, all over the place.

Even your oul one was a slut for one night, what's your point and what does it have to do with hip hop?

Even your oul one was a slut for one night, what's your point and what does it have to do with hip hop?

What has 808s got to do with hip hop ?

My point refers to him being the d*ckhead he is, idiots attract idiots. If yeezus and in paticular bound 2 is anything to go by we're in for a painful few years ahead, influenced heavy by the kardashins.

She was ray j'd on camera, I hope you're mammy isn't that slutty.

Doris300 wrote: »

Recovery sounds nothing like any other em album, it was something new, and a lot better than 808s and yeezus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

My point refers to him being the d*ckhead he is, idiots attract idiots. If yeezus and in paticular bound 2 is anything to go by we're in for a painful few years ahead, influenced heavy by the kardashins.

She was ray j'd on camera, I hope you're mammy isn't that slutty.

'The Ladies Room' is elsewhere lad, no one cares about this crap.

Recovery sounds nothing like any other em album, it was something new, and a lot better than 808s and yeezus.

Recovery imo is truly awful, probably his worst album.

An added point: could you please avoid calling anyone a 'slut' etc ? just as a favour for me.

any other suggestions ? hows parasite sound...
    Recovery imo is truly awful, probably his worst album.
    you must of missed relapse.

Anyway, there's no point in going on, kanye and the kardashians clearly have a legion of fans here.

Anyway, there's no point in going on, kanye and the kardashians clearly have a legion of fans here.

I have no interest in the Kardashians and I'd guess the majority of Kanye fans are the same, has little to do with his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Right lads why don't we agree to disagree. No one ever changed their opinion after and argument on a message board.

There's about 3 weeks left of this thread so hopefully it'll get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

For the doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this Joey Badass album, all the singles have been great.

https://www.soundcloud.com/proeraradio/joey-bada-no-99-prod-by-statik-selektah

What's everyone's take on new Ghost, Wu and Phyrme albums? Any must haves?

Been meaning to get caught up with them

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

weemcd wrote: »

Ghost is excellent.
    Wu is pants.
    PHryme I havn't gotten around to yet. I semi-liked the first couple of tracks that were leaked, but hearing that Adrian Younge was behind the scenes on it gives me alot of hope for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

weemcd wrote: »

ghostface album is good
    the WU album is meh 1 or 2 half decent tracks thats about it
    Phyrme yep good album
    check out the new Jam baxter album , thats good.
    Also check O.C's new album Twenty14

must have albums in my opinion are
    M-DOT's -- Jake LadDOTia
    Koshface Jackson --oldman Strength
    LeuNatic -pro nouns

Looking forward to this Joey Badass album, all the singles have been great.

Yeah me too, all tracks so far have been excellent. Real 90's NY sound to No. 99.

Just watching the video for this, check the audio at the end at the RIP piece, Mav Sabre.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Ghost is excellent.
    Wu is pants.
    PHryme I havn't gotten around to yet. I semi-liked the first couple of tracks that were leaked, but hearing that Adrian Younge was behind the scenes on it gives me alot of hope for it.

I've enjoyed the two ghost tracks so far. I thought this would be good. He's been very creative past few years.

On paper Preem and Royce is a dream team tho

Anyone been watching The Rap Monument? 30 rappers on the same track, they are putting each verse up every few days. Full thing will be mental

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Joey Badass is very boring. Lupe has a new album out on the 20/1/15. Hopefully it will be a comeback.

Advertisement