Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

having a go at track cycling

Options
  • 28-11-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hey boards,
    im waiting another year before i try racing on the road as i want to give a go at a few different types of cycling first,going to try some mountain biking soon aswell.
    One of the things that got me interested in cycling was watching the sprints and other fast stuff in the track.

How do you go about getting a little time on the track,nothing serious,no racing or anything like that(i wouldnt be allowed anyway). Just to get a feel for it,i think its something i could be good at.
    its hard enough to get info as there doesnt actually seem to be much out there on it?
    so questions, do you need a certain number of years with a licence to cycle on the track(not race)?,does a recreational license allow you to cycle on it?
    and is it a good idea to try track or should i just skip it? and is it something you can do alone?or would it be better to find someone to do it with

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

EmcD123 wrote: »
    1.How do you go about getting a little time on the track,nothing serious,no racing or anything like that(i wouldnt be allowed anyway). Just to get a feel for it,i think its something i could be good at.

2. its hard enough to get info as there doesnt actually seem to be much out there on it?

3. so questions, do you need a certain number of years with a licence to cycle on the track(not race)?,

4. does a recreational license allow you to cycle on it?

5. is it a good idea to try track or should i just skip it?

6. is it something you can do alone?or would it be better to find someone to do it with

1. See the first link

2. See the first link, track cycling is very much a minority discipline. More people will sign up for an A4 road race than for a full day of track racing.

3. No

4. Email the guys in the track commission for clarification

5. Only you can know. You want to do it, so do it. Simples.

6. The track in Sundrive is locked off behind a tall fence. You won't be allowed on it without a coach present. Even during training we are not allowed up on the track until the coaches are there.

Don't overthink it, trackies are a very welcoming bunch, in the same way MTBers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

In relation to point 4, my understanding is that a recreational/leisure licence is not sufficient to ride on the track.and you need at a minimum a Limited Competition licence. As harrybelafonte said, you should confirm with the track commission.

edit - checked on CI site and you can race track under limited licence. See here. (unless you are a junior or youth, in which case a junior or youth licence would be required)

i'll confirm that quickly then,full licensce is almost the same as recreational anyway as im a student.

just wondering though, do buses go anywhere near the track since i dont drive and probably wont be able to for at least a few more years,
    has anyone else here tried living in galway and doing track and getting there by bus?

• Advertisement

i'll confirm that quickly then,full licensce is almost the same as recreational anyway as im a student.

just wondering though, do buses go anywhere near the track since i dont drive and probably wont be able to for at least a few more years,
    has anyone else here tried living in galway and doing track and getting there by bus?

I used to disassemble the bike and bus over. Not from Galway obviously. The 9 and 83 might be best bet from Dublin City Centre. There's a club in Galway that do a lot of work at Sundrive, Black Rose.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, if you ever get over to the UK there are a few indoor tracks that offer "taster" sessions of an hour or so. I think the Olympic Velodrome in London will be difficult to get on, but there are alternatives in Glasgow, Manchester and Newport as well as a new one in Derby due to open in the new year. Manchester for example costs just over £10, including bike hire. You can also hire shoes and helmets there if you are travelling light.

we should really look at organising a boards drinking track session at one of the UK tracks.

lennymc wrote: »
    we should really look at organising a boards drinking track session at one of the UK tracks.

Comes up every year, as do trips to some six day racing. Doesn't happen.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well I'll be in Manchester next week - first time on the track since February ....

• Advertisement

i wouldnt have a hope of going to the uk haha
    even buses to dublin would need to be saved up for.
    I've met the guy in black rose before but i've never asked about it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The 150 goes by the track. You can train on a recreational license but you need a Limited Competition at least to race. Track won't be open again until February, all the info you need is in the links above.

Track is awesome. :D

gadetra wrote: »
    You can train on a recreational license

Didnt know that. Thanks for clarifying! Might see if I can get a few of the club members down to try it out.

Didnt know that. Thanks for clarifying! Might see if I can get a few of the club members down to try it out.

Accreditation part 1 can be done with no license, but you have to have a training license to complete part 2. Get them on down!

what is a training licence? The club members have either a leisure, limited comp or full race licence.

what is a training licence? The club members have either a leisure, limited comp or full race licence.

It's the €25 one, I heard it described as a training license, I must be calling the wrong thing!

getchya. That is the leisure licence. 30 quid next year iirc.

I think somone should email the commission for clarification. When I started a limited comp licence was required, even for training

BTW OP, if you want to come up from galway on the cheap and do it, you'll have to be on the bus in the station for something like 6:15 to make it in time for training at 10am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Come over for one of the open season meets at Herne Hill next year :)

I've been interviewing for jobs in Manchester recently, would be nice to live beside the NCC...

• Advertisement

BTW OP, if you want to come up from galway on the cheap and do it, you'll have to be on the bus in the station for something like 6:15 to make it in time for training at 10am

I dont really mind doing that if i felt after the first few times that it was worth it.
    Trying to get all the facts together first so i can present the whole idea to the parents.

is there only one training time at 10am?

Carp, can't remember the exact times but you'd need to do Saturdays 10-12, though I think the accreditation a are done later in the day. Senior training is 10-12 every Saturday. When days get longer there's a session Monday evenings. Kids train 12-2 I think.

I think somone should email the commission for clarification. When I started a limited comp licence was required, even for training

I had no license at all for my accreditation and was told that was fine but to have at least the training one for Accreditation part 2, and that was this year.

Accreditation is usually from 12, after senior training. Once you have done that you will have to do a number of the Saturday morning sessions, 10-12 until you are accredited, then you can do Monday sessions. I think the kids are after accreditation?

It really does sound like something that takes a pretty big commitment to be involved in it if you live in connaught

colm_gti wrote: »
    Come over for one of the open season meets at Herne Hill next year :)

I've been interviewing for jobs in Manchester recently, would be nice to live beside the NCC...

Party in Colm's gaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

It really does sound like something that takes a pretty big commitment to be involved in it if you live in connaught

David o loughin was based in Cong leading up tp Beijing Olympics so it can be done ;-).

In fairness, yes, it does. But at least do the accreditation and see how you feel after that.

In fairness, yes, it does. But at least do the accreditation and see how you feel after that.
    I definetly want to do that,i'll just end up with a regret if i dont haha and im dying to try it anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I could be tempted to give track a go for a few reasons. In my younger years when I played a loot of football (both types) and hurling I was ultra competitive (though not necessarily good). I like doing long cycles and sportives, but the though of bunch racing and my clumsiness might not be great in the likes of A4 but I think I could manage it better on a track.

Lastly, and mostly, it's an excuse to get another bike

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I could be tempted to give track a go for a few reasons. In my younger years when I played a loot of football (both types) and hurling I was ultra competitive (though not necessarily good). I like doing long cycles and sportives, but the though of bunch racing and my clumsiness might not be great in the likes of A4 but I think I could manage it better on a track.

Lastly, and mostly, it's an excuse to get another bike

:eek: *runs away scared when Weepsie turns up* :p ah no Do come along and give it a go. I think the first accreditation is the end of February/start of March I think?

Advertisement