Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does ireland have one of the highest suicide rates?

Options
  • 26-11-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I blame it on joan burton!!
    Seriously though, something has to be done about this massive problem

Ive had a niece, aunt, uncle and 2 cousin do this and its affected a large percentage of irish families
    What can be done about this epidemic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sinn Fein's Fault I'd say, everything else is.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Because we are a backwards country in a modern world. Depression is still frowned upon in Ireland. Especially in rural villages and towns. 3 young men that I went to school with (all from the same area) committed suicide since we left school 3 years ago. There was also a few when I was in school. Its appauling that only in the last year or so that we are waking up to this.
    If you are any way different, your fecked. If you dont fit in to Irish society your fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

I used to have a fair few conversations about our high depression/suicide rate with my friends during our college years. We proposed stuff like Catholic sexual guilt trips and the ****ty weather. I don't think the Catholic repression thing is an issue anymore so maybe it's the weather and the drink culture. We tend to use booze as a coping mechanism...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

- Unwillingness to face up to chronic levels of substance & alcohol use & the associated mental toll it takes on people.

- desperate jealousy of Gerry Adams glistening new teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

deadybai wrote: »
    Because we are a backwards country in a modern world

I blame it on the catholic guilt tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

May have a lot to do with the abysmal mental health services in this country.

I used to have a fair few conversations about our high depression/suicide rate with my friends during our college years. We proposed stuff like Catholic sexual guilt trips and the ****ty weather. I don't think the Catholic repression thing is an issue anymore so maybe it's the weather and the drink culture. We tend to use booze as a coping mechanism...

You beat me to it about the catholic shame bit! I defo think booze ****s many a young fella and girl up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

It seems below average to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Being afraid to talk about it from a young age. Lack of mental health support and facilities.

Because we are a backwards country in a modern world. Depression is still frowned upon in Ireland. Especially in rural villages and towns. 3 young men that I went to school with (all from the same area) committed suicide since we left school 3 years ago. There was also a few when I was in school. Its appauling that only in the last year or so that we are waking up to this.
    If you are any way different, your fecked. If you dont fit in to Irish society your fecked.

True, depression and anxiety is as much an illness as cancer. You mighnt die, but theres a good chance of ya doing it at your own hands

• Advertisement

because of irish water, obviously!!!

kidding but id say if you look it up there's some psychological or Freudian
    explanation that tells us Ireland or life on Islands, can contribute greatly etc etc, ad nauseum....

but to quote my names sake

think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

nadey wrote: »
    True, depression and anxiety is as much an illness as cancer.

Its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think there's an element of copycat suicides as well. Because so many people are affected personally, they start to see it as a way out, whereas they may not have considered it otherwise.

It is heartbreaking when you read some of the stories.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Its not.

Have you had cancer of have clinical untreatable depression?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

We're 47th in the world, quite a way from having one of the highest rates in the world. That's not to belittle the effect of suicide however it does have me scratching my head as to why people think Ireland has one of the highest and continue to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Typical After Hours Bollix
    Ireland does not have "one of the highest" suicide rates, it is lower than the UK, Canada, Sweden, France, Belgium etc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

to the extent that it is high at all has as much to do with the age profile as anything else.

Have you had cancer of have clinical untreatable depression?

Oh ok, thats how it works.

Only people who have had cancer and depression can confirm or deny your statement.

Out ****ing standing

humberklog wrote: »
    We're 47th in the world, quite a way from having one of the highest rates in the world. That's not to belittle the effect of suicide however it does have me scratching my head as to why people think Ireland has one of the highest and continue to say it.

So its not a problem, ok, just hope it never happens to one of your loved ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

humberklog wrote: »

Part of the usual 'Everything in Ireland is ****e/worst etc while everything is great everywhere else' narrative that seems to be prevalent in some quarters.

One suicide is one too many but a reality check would go a long way to an informed discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

ardmacha wrote: »
    Typical After Hours Bollix
    Ireland does not have "one of the highest" suicide rates, it is lower than the UK, Canada, Sweden, France, Belgium etc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

to the extent that it is high at all has as much to do with the age profile as anything else.

I could be wrong but isn't that partly due to Incorrect records? Like recording it as a road traffic accident when the world and his mother knows that they drove into a tree deliberately? Could be wrong tho, just heard that said

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

You obviously aren't well traveled then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That wasn't the poster's point. You are not being fair at all

The OP asked why does Ireland have one of the highest rates and got a reply.

edit, you are the OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I blame it on the catholic guilt tbh

Popular idea which makes little sense, influence of the CC is actually inversely proportional to suicide (obviously way more complex than that with misrecording of cause of death etc too )

Its also not as high as some other countries its still devastating for some demographics.
    Personally I think its to do with some of these thing.

1)Poor health service, also the Parish Priest used to be instrumental in getting people into state care (sectioned but thats UK term) this role hasn't been taken over to the same extent by HSE workers
    2)Poor climate lack of exercise
    3)Poor relationship with alcohol
    4)A lot of pressure to succeed and find your place in the world is placed on young men, perhaps an increase of these pressures on young woman is why their rate is rising.

Most importantly its lack of treating the problem as seriously as it deserves, its the biggest cause of death young (ish) men and the lack of funds directed to this is disgraceful. We should not simply be intervening in terms of mental health we should be actioning suicide hot spots directly the way Foyle Search and Rescue have done with significant success. (posted about how Galway needed a service like this after seeing the helicopter multiple times out over the river , couple of months later good friend dead in the same spot)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That's not what I said. I'm simply pointing out that your thread title states something that is not correct.

47th does not make us one of the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

• I think it has to do with crap mental health services
    • Drink
    • the fact that it is such a small, low population density country that everywhere you go someone you know or at least knows you will turn up.

actually according to wikipaedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

we are quiet good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I blame it on joan burton!!
    Seriously though, something has to be done about this massive problem

Ive had a niece, aunt, uncle and 2 cousin do this and its affected a large percentage of irish families
    What can be done about this epidemic

can you give us a source showing that it does have a really high suicide rate.

sheesh wrote: »
    can you give us a source showing that it does have a really high suicide rate.

Father pat said so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

Lack of sunshine, dreary cold weather, alcohol dependency, lack of understanding about mental illness / stigma, crap mental health support (unless youre very rich)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Reasons;

Not too long ago (and still by some people) depression is viewed as being sad. Think happy thoughts, and you'll be cured. Unfortunately, this doesn't work, and most people who cannot get help don't want to burden anyone, thus commit suicide.

Instead of calling it suicide down the country, single car crashes into trees and walls after veering off a straight road whilst going at 9000km/h on a dry road in the middle of a day, they call it accidents, totally brushing under the carpet any problem that has happened in the past 40 years. Thus the poor f**ks get nothing in the way of suicide prevention education, and everyone is told to smile and all will be okay.

Blame the catholic church, if you wish.

Oh, and the "big boys don't cry" crap, where men that cry are seen as weak, any emotion, and you are weak, means that when something hits the fan, some people can't cope, and play chicken with trains, tall mountains, or bear traps. It's not so bad now, but 20 odd years ago, you had to be hard as nails, or be seen as a wimp.

Advertisement