Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poem by an Irish Expat In Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

cloud493 wrote: »
    Ireland is a lovely country full of lovely people. What a load of ****e.

You don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself €15,000. Tonight! In two hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Straylight wrote: »
    You see there's your problem right there. If I learned one thing from the Leaving Cert it's that no good comes from reading poetry.

It lets you know early on that life is about transience and unrequited love...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don Kedick wrote: »
    The Aussies have a problem with their ancestry aswell. Everytime I asked them what crime their relatives committed to get sent to Oz they started shouting at me. They have problems.

You should go to the museum down by the Opera House...it's a bleak, bleak museum. They don't hide their history at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure I was referring that comment to the poet, not the sentiment. I love Ireland (Dublin) and I'm a relative foreigner (as foreign as a British person can be considered) :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You should go to the museum down by the Opera House...it's a bleak, bleak museum. They don't hide their history at all.

Does it show all the stuff they did to the Aboriginals?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

According to the poem they left 8 years ago...in 2006. Not exactly hard times here in that year.

A whiff of the Frank Mccourt about it...just as crap but thankfully not as long winded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Does it show all the stuff they did to the Aboriginals?

Yeh you Irish, British Whatever... did some nasty things before you handed over a whole big mess...

LOL...

Que frothing in 3... 2... 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

You don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself €15,000. Tonight! In two hours!

I've got Patel. :mad:

The Aussie wrote: »
    Yeh you Irish, British Whatever... did some nasty things before you handed over a whole big mess...

LOL...

Que frothing in 3... 2... 1.

Are your ancestors convicts then or what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Are your ancestors convicts then or what's the story?

I'd be certain that all of us have convicts in our ancestry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I Recently returned from a year in Aus 2 months ago and had a great time there... I didn't so much miss Ireland much at all just friends, friends and familiarity. It was great to see Australia but I could give or take living there... But the weather was pretty nice!

There is some dark stuff in the Aussie history and I tried to learn as much as I could over there. There is a bit of a strange sexist/racist kind of attitude but in the cities it's generally ok... Lot's of rules and regulations and I find they obey rules quite well over there (in the cities at least) In the more rural places there is some mad people! I saw quite a bit and met some strange folks.

Some of the stuff in the poem I'd agree with and some might be a bit exaggerated but I have to admit coming home to all this water charge stuff was just ridiculous! For such a small country it's mad to look back at what happened for years with all the political nonsense when you return from living in another country!

Sure we're one step away from turning into an ISIS situation... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Its not even a poem-it does not even rhyme for f....sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It reads like a load of dross written by a ten-year-old. It's awful, cringeworthy sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ireland is a wet sh1thole full of nasty, racist people.

;)

mad muffin wrote: »
    ;)

We've never attempted to whipe out a whole race of people!

We've never attempted to whipe out a whole race of people!

Pah-lees… :rolleyes:

You guys are so fücking racist it's unreal. And that's after being treated like the blacks of Europe. Get away with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

jimgoose wrote: »
    It reads like a load of dross written by a ten-year-old. It's awful, cringeworthy sh1te.

Agreed. Besides the shockingly bad content, it is also written like a poem a child would write in primary school. What word rhymes with 'shut' teacher?

On par with:
    I don't want to see a ghost
    It's a sight I fear the most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast
    And watch the evening news.

Pah-lees… :rolleyes:

You guys are so fücking racist it's unreal. And that's after being treated like the blacks of Europe. Get away with yourself.

Everyone gets treated fairly here, I wouldn't like to be an Asian trying to live in Oz land that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not a bad poem but it paints a picture of Ireland being some post apocalyptic sh!thole

• Advertisement

Everyone gets treated fairly here, I wouldn't like to be an Asian trying to live in Oz land that's for sure.

What do you know? You know nothing. So please just stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TheZohan wrote: »
    Who honestly gives a fvck about someone moaning as if they left Ireland on a coffin ship to go over to Oz? I know I don't. Idiots.

Well, there was the bit at the end about them possibly coming back. I think we should all be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Beckett saw the poem and cried.
    I'd be certain that all of us have convicts in our ancestry.

Not mine, my family is great at getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Reads a bit like a bad rap song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That poem would be improved tenfold if every second line was followed by "And the pint of Harp."

What do you know? You know nothing. So please just stop.

Even if you google 'racist Australia' you'll see plenty of evidence. Considering their history it's really sad that there's still such a huge level of racism.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The execution is more annoying than the sentiment expressed.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    elefant wrote: »
    Agreed. Besides the shockingly bad content, it is also written like a poem a child would write in primary school. What word rhymes with 'shut' teacher?

All of this, + infinity.
    Not a bad poem but it paints a picture of Ireland being some post apocalyptic sh!thole

Trust me, I know bad poetry. This is definitely an example of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

"As the sun burns my skin and the sweat stings my eyes,
    Covered in dust and tormented with flies."

Is this Australia or Ethiopia he's talking about?

Well tonight thank God it's them - instead of youuuu
    And there won't be snow in Australia this Christmas time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭con___manx1

if i were to wright a poem about australia it would included fat bastards, racists plus the rednecks in the outback
    im an ozzie
    its too hot too exercise
    lets go to mcdonalds and get even fatter ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement