Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

seachto7 wrote: »
    Are his solo albums any good? (Sorry for the stoooopid question, but no time to Google right now)

The latest, The Raven That Refused To Sing, is prob gonna win album of the year on here. It'll prob walk away with it at the prog awards. It's incredible! You can tell its Steven, but it ain't necessarily an immediate carry-on from PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

....He confirmed that PT are no more he will not be returning from the horses mouth !...

CRAP :(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It hit me the other day that I've had The Raven That Refused To Sing for a full year now, and it's not getting old. At first it was all about Luminol, with the bass-in-your-face and all those accessible prog sounds and hooks. It took me longer to get in to deep tracks like The Holy Drinker and The Watchmaker, but at the moment I'm most impressed by The Pin Drop. The back story makes it incredibly bleak, the kind of horrible situation that I wish was confined to fiction. This is one of those albums that's earned a permanent parking spot in my head. :cool:

Getting in to Steven's work was long overdue for me - my only previous exposure being No-Man tracks such as this:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Steven's back in the studio, and he's posted some pictures here, Same band as The Raven: Theo isn't in the pictures, but I wouldn't read anything in to that.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Really hope I can make a show on the next tour. Please god it has to happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

What a lineup that is. Some of the live performances of The Raven songs on YouTube are incredible. Would love to see that band perform live in person.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Definitely try and get to see them live at some point, absolutely flawless.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Raven is absolutely brilliant so I can't wait to hear what the new album is like. I have full faith in Steve and the guys to create something equally brilliant this time.

Steven has posted a video update from the studio, and given an album release date of February 2015:

The final snippet they play at the end there, with the female vocalist, sounds absolutely amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

bnt wrote: »
    Steven has posted a video update from the studio, and given an album release date of February 2015:

It's gonna take something very special to even come close to the Raven... but I'd have a lot of faith in Mr. Wilson and that incredible lineup. It's gonna be a good 'un.

Update number 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

Jesus I can't wait for that album, and then hop on a plane an go see them perform it live somewhere

I have every faith (expectation almost!) that this is going to be a superb album. The female vocals are an interesting move and I think could help make this album stand out. The vocalist herself sounds fantastic.

Really looking forward to hearing it.

Also this may interest people here. I downloaded it and it's a beautiful song.

Also this may interest people here. I downloaded it and it's a beautiful song.

Such a nice thing to do. Got it when it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

RayCon wrote: »
    Jesus I can't wait for that album, and then hop on a plane an go see them perform it live somewhere

Yeah, little to no chance of even one Irish date I would wager.

Minjor wrote: »
    Yeah, little to no chance of even one Irish date I would wager.

I wouldn't hold my breath ... easier to accept the fact and be ready to pounce on some UK tickets when the tour in announced.

Last year a bunch of us caught the Raven Tour in Bristol's Colston Hall (nice venue). Tickets were £25 (approx €30) , flights were €37 and a hotel was €40 for a double room (€20 PP) ... all in the trip cost €87 ... some gigs in Dublin cost more than that !!

Just had this link pop up in Facebook: http://www.portalesquizofrenia.com/steven-wilson-revivira-porcupine-tree-partir-de-2016/2014/11/

The translation of the article (according to Google Translate) is as follows...
    It's the news we wanted to give a few days ago , surely the story of the year and hopes up to thousands of fans of the band Porcupine Tree in the near future . As we learned in ' Portal Schizophrenia, Progressive Rock in Spanish ' , Steven Wilson revived his group Porcupine Tree from 2016. We have all the details below.

No doubt it was one of the most anticipated in the vicinity of the progressive rock international returns. And we've been fortunate enough to know this back exclusively and so we offer you the news first. Steven Wilson will focus the remainder of 2014 to close the recording of his fourth solo album and full year 2015 promotion, with a tour that boasts mammoth after the success of his last international tour.

But to our knowledge, as of 2016, without specifying exact date, including being able to delay the return to 2017, plans to rescue his longtime band, which has given more hits: Porcupine Tree. Since the London decided to give priority to his solo career, leaving the group parked until further notice, its success has been huge. He edited 'Insurgentes' in 2008 and finished his time at the Porcupine extolled and highly acclaimed album by critics and audiences 'The Incident' (2009).

After we saw how he took form with 'Grace for Drowning' in 2011 and reached the zenith of his career with the unbridled success of 'The Raven That Refused to Sing (and other stories)' in 2013, resulting in an international tour full wins. Now preparing his fourth solo album, currently untitled, and will surely be a reflection of his prime as a professional musician, composer and producer.

But luckily for the thousands of fans of Porcupine Tree, who was asked in one and each one of his concerts, rescue his old band, the biggest I had despite also working with projects like No-Man and Blackfield, for not to mention his partnership with Mikael Akerfeldt on Storm Corrosion.

We have to tell you how we met the news to give credibility to this world first and explain all the details. For starters, we do not want at any time medals hang us: We have been fortunate and privileged, not the success or brilliance, access to this news thanks to a reader who blew the whistle, as they say. Eduardo (we will not give further details for reasons of privacy), from Frankfurt, gave the track of the news, and recently we have confirm to compare this figure the return to a source environment Porcupine Tree and direct relationship with the band. "I talked to xxx ... me this week revealed that Wilson had said he wanted to get Porcupine Tree in a couple of years, by 2016," and Eduardo told us the news, but we have omitted the direct source. To us it qualified us: "Maybe, we'll see ..." but confirming the intention of Wilson, which affected him directly. You may soon desvelemos identity.

We realize that not expressly cite the source could undermine the credibility of the news, but of course we have to safeguard the identity of it by professional issues. That source, indisputably credible data revealed both Eduardo and us, leading to what will be one of the best news that international progressive rock can be found in the near future, perhaps comparable to the return of Camel, King Crimson or some such. We can only confirm that it is not a "friend of a friend" or "brother's cousin" but someone very close to Wilson in his career.

The Return

It is true that we will have to wait quite until 2016-2017, but while it will not be long for frustration, because it's time to enjoy the new Wilson's solo work, which will arrive in 2015. During this time, from 2009 to album 'the Incident' and the tour, which came to 2010, there have been two speeds by band members. Wilson said all we have: 2 more solo albums, several successful projects and pouring.

Meanwhile, the other major member of Porcupine Tree has shining examples has undoubtedly been the drummer Gavin Harrison, who has had the privilege unparalleled part of the return of King Crimson, in an operation scrappage Robert Fripp which is liked by everyone. The battery of London has done nothing but win since, being recognized as one of the best at his instrument worldwide. He has also been in a project with guitarist Ric 05 and SBI group Jim Matheos and Kevin Moore, among other collaborations.

The other side have the Richard Barbieri and Colin Edwin. The first keyboards has rendered a pretty weak draft with Steve Hogarth of Marillion, who had no success and even assumed cancel tour to promote an album they released, 'Not The Weapon But The Hand' (2012). Meanwhile, the bear attacked solo and Wilson, but without any effect, with 2 discs in particular: 'Third Vessel' (2009) and 'PVZ' (2012). He was also shipped in a very discreet, Metallic Taste of Blood project, and has collaborated with American guitarist Jon Durant.

It was clear that unless and Harrison Wilson, Porcupine Tree members were thrilled with this return. There was never any hard feelings, at least declared, so it will be a triumphant return and exciting.

Wilson was not tired of her baby

It seemed for a while that this news never come, and that Wilson was tired of being part of a group, even if the clear leader. That speculation grew stronger seeing his continued and growing success alone since 2008 started that way, but ultimately never forgot the band that made him stay in the first division of international rock.

That hand that appeared on top of the cover of their latest album to date, 'The Incident' was prescient with the passage of time: the hand was a tall, marked a stop, a stop on the way now resume, between 7 and 8 years later.

In all this time of waiting, Wilson has always been asked in interviews about when this would come back to the 'beast'. But the more he was sincere in statements of 2013, in which he said about Porcupine: "I have no time in my life for that ... maybe within 1 or 5 years ... or 10 ...". He explained that after the publication, in 2012, edited direct 'Octane Twisted', was "more complicated the issue Porcupine Tree, since it can not exist without my stimulates since I'm the main songwriter of the band."

But he also warned: "This does not mean in any way that the band is broken or something. There is always the possibility of meeting within 1 to 5 years ... or 10. I really can not say. There are no plans at the moment ". It seems that the time has come ... in 2 or 3 years.

We will keep you informed!

^ ... sounds like clutching at straws to me.

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    ^ ... sounds like clutching at straws to me.

Aye, not going to get too excited about it.

Honestly, once Steve keeps making music I'll be following it. I'd love to see Porcupine Tree come back, but his solo stuff is just as good.

"Hey guys,
    There are some rumours going around that after the next SW record, PT will make a comeback. This is just a reminder to not believe everything that you read unless it's posted by SW himself. As far as that goes nothing is ever posted on this page unless posted by/confirmed by/announced by SW himself.
    I have confirmed this rumour to be false.
    I know it's not what a lot of people want to hear but it is what it is."

From the Steven Wilson Street Team.

Apparently this denial was confirmed by Steven Wilson himself this morning.

Curses....Foiled again!!!

Album finished, titled "Hands. Cannot. Erase." Release in February. Tour has been announced... but the site is down at the moment :p

Link for whenever it gets back up: http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/hand-cannot-erase-uk-european-2015-tour-dates/

No Irish dates unsurprisingly.

This link works actually: http://www.kscopemusic.com/2014/11/19/steven-wilson-announces-new-album-details-tour/

Yeah nothing for Ireland, wasn't expecting any though

Manchester on a Saturday perhaps!

Mushy wrote: »
    Manchester on a Saturday perhaps!

Yip ... that's what 6 of us are looking at .... although I'd prefer the Edinburgh venue - it looks absolutely awesomely small ... I'd say it will sell out in seconds.

http://www.thequeenshall.net/tour/

I'm thinking Edinburgh too - just because I like the city and am looking for an excuse to go back. They finally got their Tram running, too. The Queen's Hall really is tiny, all right.

PS: album title is “Hand. Cannot. Erase.” - just the one hand. :p

• Advertisement

Don't seem to see any prices for the dates yet. Would love to see him again but so broke lately

Advertisement