Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is that the place that used to be called Nynes or Nines or something? Haven't been up that road in a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Joshua J wrote: »
    Anyone know if the petrol station and shop up Glencar beside the Ard Na Ri pub is closed down?. Passed by yesterday shutters were down and notes on the pumps saying out of fuel.

It went into receivership.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

K-9 wrote: »
    It went into receivership.

No, it didn't. The lease was up and they didn't renew it.
    The pub, chipper and hairdresser is still open

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hope i'm wrong but depressingly just heard this morning that the banks have foreclosed on ashtree garden centre in donegal town , real shame that feel really sorry for robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Wow, that's a big loss to the town. Great centre for adults and kids. Kids had a ball at Christmas with Santa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Its true about Robbie... Very sad, they all worked so hard out there..

Anyone hear about a local Guttering firm are gone too..?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

le fournil gone as well, couldnt afford the rent and rates (the bread will available in simple simons form now on apparently)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

le fournil gone as well, couldnt afford the rent and rates (the bread will available in simple simons form now on apparently)
    Ah, that's a shame, but I can understand why.

Still, it's good to see that the bread will still be available, so presumably their bakery out beside Abbotts is still in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Was in Letterkenny earlier today and noticed that the gift shop "House of Harriet" on Main Street is closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was in Letterkenny earlier today and noticed that the gift shop "House of Harriet" on Main Street is closing down.

There surprise there is that it stayed in business so long; it was never open anytime I looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not a typical business as is usually posted here, but largo foods is closing in gweedore with 140 job losses. Massive blow to an already economically bleak area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

All Patrick Gildea hair salons closing down. One large salon going to open at units near Stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

annascott wrote: »
    All Patrick Gildea hair salons closing down. One large salon going to open at units near Stateside.

Even the main street and the barbers next door? Not really surprised, he had 6 on the go at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Can't see Donegal barbers going anywhere, guys are to lazy to walk that far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I don't know about the Barber - definitely all the other salons though. They will move in the next couple of months. AFAIK no job losses though so not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

When I see it a few posts ago, ashtree garden centre is open again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭donegal_man

It's been a while since anyone posted on here but I noticed when in Letterkenny SC today that Hatton's Goldsmiths (the John Paul Diamond type place) is shut. Is this a good sign that people aren't selling the family jewels any more or have they sold it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Denim Corner in the Courtyard SC has closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

dinorebel wrote: »
    Denim Corner in the Courtyard SC has closed.

It's actually been closed a long time now, sign up on the door (paraphrased) "Thanks for all the business over the years".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Looks like Abrakebabra is closed in LK too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Flibbles wrote: »
    It's actually been closed a long time now, sign up on the door (paraphrased) "Thanks for all the business over the years".
    I'm surprised any business in the Courtyard can survive at all. Apart from those walking through it to the car park, the place is dead with the major issue being that theres absolutely nothing in it to attract people anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm surprised any business in the Courtyard can survive at all. Apart from those walking through it to the car park, the place is dead with the major issue being that theres absolutely nothing in it to attract people anymore.

When was there ever, really? Back when Iceland were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

MYOB wrote: »
    When was there ever, really? Back when Iceland were there?
    Bar the car park, I've never really seen the attraction in the place myself but I've been told by people that they haven't gone near the place since SuperValu left it.

Once upon a time, a reasonable sized big name supermarket, a pharmacy, a cafe, a discount/cheaper brand clothes/bit of everything shop, a shoe shop (albeit one that was having a constant closing down sale for 5 years!), a pound shop, a sports shop, a casual clothes shop, a jewellers and a book shop should have been be an ideal mix to attract sufficient footfall.

Due to the majority of them having closed over the years, seems theres just something fundamentally unappealing about the place.:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I forgot there ever was a Supervalu there and I've used that carpark rather a lot over the past decade +.

Its on three floors which is a killer - I can't think of a three story shopping centre anywhere that does well. In Dublin, the top floor of The Square lives off the cinema and even then does badly, top floor of Stephens Green is full of low rent oddities and they are looking to close off the top floor of Dun Laoighaire. More than two never works long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its a nice setup inside it imo for a shopping centre. If they had smaller, cheaper units i think it could work really well as a small market with independent traders, artists, food etc.

Although not sure if lk in turn would be big enough to support it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Anytime I've been in the Courtyard, I feel like I'm going to get beat up! It has that kind of vibe about it. Heatons is good though, the only reason I'd go into the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

seems theres just something fundamentally unappealing about the place.:confused:

Getting rid of the scummers that seem to constantly hang around the Main St entrance/4 Lights would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    Anytime I've been in the Courtyard, I feel like I'm going to get beat up! It has that kind of vibe about it. Heatons is good though, the only reason I'd go into the shopping centre.
    But do you do like most people go no further than Heatons? I know we don't and suspect it's the same for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dinorebel wrote: »
    But do you do like most people go no further than Heatons? I know we don't and suspect it's the same for the majority.

Them, the Euro shop (though with the one open in the main SC I doubt I'll be in there anymore) and Happy days is okay too. That's about it. I tend to use the stairs in Easons to avoid going through SC if I can!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Heatons, Easons/Click, Speers, Eurozone are all good shops that I used more than once this year and i dont live in LK anymore. great wee sandwich place on the left as well.

Really think the courtyard is in a great location but people automatically assume its a nightmare to get to.
    It's let done by the fact it has only one large Unit.

Advertisement