Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business closures around the county

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

companies like these were given grants by the government to set up in Ireland, as soon as the grant money runs out they pack up and leave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just in case you dont read the cycling forum

**New Bike shop Donegal Town**
    Teds Bike Shop

https://www.facebook.com/tedsbikeshop

on the Killybegs road beside Doherty Tiling

opens tomorrow mon 10th December 10AM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

handy, need a new tube for the back wheel

overshoot wrote: »
    handy, need a new tube for the back wheel

hopefully he has the right size in !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

in that case my lazyness may continue a while longer! been gone for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

just seen today marys is clossing its doors next week half price sale at the minute but not alot left in it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Mary's is going? Wow. I was in there today and there's nothing left on the shelf. Didn't realise it was closing down.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Mary's is going? Wow. I was in there today and there's nothing left on the shelf. Didn't realise it was closing down.
    didnt know this myself overheard a member of staff telling somone but a pity all the same one of those shops that you always remember.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

martyo wrote: »
    just seen today marys is clossing its doors next week half price sale at the minute but not alot left in it :(
    Yeah, it's an awful shame to see it's closing. :( Was always handy for buying tools, etc. that I'd only use occasionally so wouldn't need expensive branded stuff from the hardware stores. In fact, I think the tools part of the shop was the only section I frequented much! :D

It had been noted by the OH how small the Xmas section was compared to other years. I guess now we know why.

I heard from one staffer that they were only told last Wednesday.

Another empty (large) unit in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

didnt know this myself overheard a member of staff telling somone but a pity all the same one of those shops that you always remember.

I remember when it was foodland.

:o

• Advertisement
    byte

irish-stew wrote: »
    I remember when it was foodland.

:o
    Aye, back when the Diamond was a carpark!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »
    Aye, back when the Diamond was a carpark!

Foodland was there along time after the carpark was paved over wasn't it.

Although the metal ramp (outside marys) from the kerb to the road is still there.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I would have imagined that these type of discount stores would have been doing quite well in recent times. (Dont think I've ever been in Marys but I always figured it for a larger type of pound shop place.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

irish-stew wrote: »
    Foodland was there along time after the carpark was paved over wasn't it.

Although the metal ramp (outside marys) from the kerb to the road is still there.

:D

I remember Foodland being there up to 1997. Anyone remember the Four Masters Bookshop fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Firblog

MJ's Bar (opposite the peak/National) has also closed this week.

Firblog wrote: »
    MJ's Bar (opposite the peak/National) has also closed this week.
    yeah think hie lease is up cant see it been left closed to long it would be a good enough spot, but maby high rent could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

I heard today that the shop beside the glencar inn,the Atlantic take away on the Pearse rd and jiffys cleaners on Oliver plunked rd all closed down,bad times.

byte

yeah think hie lease is up cant see it been left closed to long it would be a good enough spot, but maby high rent could be a factor.
    Yeah, I believe it's just that the lease has expired, I doubt that pub will be closed for long as it does seem to get an OK footfall.

I understand that O'Donnells bar is up for lease too, as he puts his efforts into Bayview Hotel.

WRT Foodland, yeah, I'm pretty sure the car-park was gone whilst Foodland supermarket was still open. The ramp must nearly be there as long as the building LOL :D

byte wrote: »
    WRT Foodland, yeah, I'm pretty sure the car-park was gone whilst Foodland supermarket was still open. The ramp must nearly be there as long as the building LOL :D

i used to shop at foodland when i moved here in 1997, it was open for a couple of years after that

McGee's Photo/Gift Shop in SuperValu centre in Donegal is closing down.

• Advertisement
    byte

Firblog wrote: »
    McGee's Photo/Gift Shop in SuperValu centre in Donegal is closing down.
    I thought they had already closed!

I am told they also have a shop in Killybegs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

the new pizza place that opened beside Pats on Letterkenny Main Street is gone.

Can't say i'm shocked as their location was terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

danniemcq wrote: »
    the new pizza place that opened beside Pats on Letterkenny Main Street is gone.

Can't say i'm shocked as their location was terrible

Wasn't that impressed with food either, but yeah being beside Pat's Pizza and Subway was never going to help.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Hear that a receiver had been appointed to a substantial pub in Donegal Town, anyone else hear/confirm that?

byte

Hmm, I was told about a certain pub in receivership alright, though as I'm not sure, I would not be allowed to mention it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Surprised, but in a good way to see this thread buried! Two womens boutiques in Ardara have closed their doors recently.
    Awear in Letterkenny has gone into receivership. The women of Donegal have enough clothes apparently! Not to mention Paco and Benneton both in the Tesco shopping centre have also closed in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

the car-breakers at Glenside business park, Ballybofey is closed.. just heard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Awear in Letterkenny has gone into receivership.

Nice of them to still have the "we're hiring" sign in the window

byte

danniemcq wrote: »
    Nice of them to still have the "we're hiring" sign in the window
    Probably only hiring removal vans! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Anyone know if the petrol station and shop up Glencar beside the Ard Na Ri pub is closed down?. Passed by yesterday shutters were down and notes on the pumps saying out of fuel.

Advertisement