Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to kill thyme

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Nothing to do and all the time in the world to do it... Do you actually have to be in the office? In a situation like this you could always pop out for coffee, daily groceries, lunch, the library, the odd browse and you could do a distance learning course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Not sure what industry you are in but if possible, get proactive. Without trying to step on peoples toes, try find work to do and ask the boss if hes happy with your proposal. In any organisation ive worked in, there usually loads of loose ends to get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'm not learning any new skills or using any of my existing skills. It's a complete waste of my time. Doing nothing all day is not as sweet as it sounds unless you're a total moron who enjoys not using what little brain cells they have,

I've have two jobs in the last two years that required me to do almost nothing and get paid well for it.

Simple answer: Use the Internet productively, learn things. Frankly I've no use for a difficult and challenging job, what kind of person wants to work hard to get paid? The smart ones get paid for doing almost nothing. I learned more about orbital mechanics and aerodynamics in those two jobs by using the internet then I ever learned in education. Plus, I came home from work happy, refreshed and relaxed. If you want stress, go find some. I love relaxing in work.

The hilarious thing was that there was a guy beside me working flat out, 7am-10pm to do the same job, Guess who burned out? That's right, he did. And I got better scores on my assessment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Have an exciting affair and pen a blockbuster novel about it in your free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The hilarious thing was that there was a guy beside me working flat out, 7am-10pm to do the same job, Guess who burned out? That's right, he did. And I got better scores on my assessment too.
    There is something on your nose. It is brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I know it's not the OPs fault, but am I the only one peed off that the public sector are still hiring people to do nothing?

Does this culture still exist in the public sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Try coursera. Free online short courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Write a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Write a book.

A time for thyme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Write a book.
    Gmol wrote: »
    A time for thyme.

Or some poetry.

Rhyme with Thyme.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

How coincidental is it that ENDA and Co have today brought out a NEW system to fire Civil Service employees who are not performing to standard?

Don't you just love the way our Country works!:confused:

Have to say I have empathy with the OP - for fear of SAS gunmen finding me(!) I will be discreet - but I did have a stint of work part-time once in a HSE hospital (each day after my day job every day for about 6 months) when trying to make ends meet to pay for child care and all the lovely taxes our Government have made us pay austerity wise!

Anyway - Id say I did 70% more work than any of the full-time workers around me - not a lie!

Also, never kill Thyme - its a lovely herb!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Is this a Jobridge scheme? If it is, stick with it, 'cos you're being over-paid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Are you into quizzes? Here's a few links...

Jetpunk

Sporcle

PuzzGrid

Mensa-Test.com

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I would be much of a Sage in these matters, but although your employers must bear blame, you're Parsley responsible too.

Still, at least you're Mint though which shows some a-Cumin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

pwurple wrote: »
    Try coursera. Free online short courses

I've done a few of these. It's an excellent website.
    Even tried to do one in work, but alas I'm trapped in the real world (aka non public service) and lunch break or not if I'm physically present some fúcker or other will invariably interrupt me for something, even if it's just to ask why I'm wearing earphones and watching a lecture - I mean Jesus Christ how many hints do some people need! I just found it impossible to do in work.
    OP I'd kill to have your problem and that is the honest truth. Be careful what you wish for!

• Advertisement
Advertisement