Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

How is it stealing!?

I also don't get people who have a problem with eating during a movie. Talk about not being able to mutli-task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Theta wrote: »
    Odean still do buttered popcorn, the sweet stuff is rubbish but they seem mad for it whenever I went in the UK. There would be an equal split between it and regular salted stuff.

Thats protestants for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I think it's perfectly fine to bring in whatever you want although I agree beer and fast food are taking the piss.

I play what I call 'the Tesco challenge' before the cinema.

They have the pick 'n' mix where you pay by the cup so I try to see how much I can cram into one of the small ones.
    The only rule is that the lid has to stay on until you're finished checking out.

My record so far is 800g which isn't bad for 4 euro :)

We do buy a popcorn drink combo but that's just for convenience and we share it so it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

He makes a great point.

He does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Good luck getting that anywhere anymore.

Only popcorn ive seen in cinemas is that awful sweatened and salted rubbish

Odeon blanchardstown, bargain Wednesday- popcorn and drink combo for 5 euro, extra butter poured in when bag is halfway full and again on top :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

The cinemas rent the films and have to pay high prices to film companies to rent them. They make little profit from ticket sales. They have to jack up their food and beverage prices to actually make a profit and pay their overheads.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

The cinemas rent the films and have to pay high prices to film companies to rent them. They make little profit from ticket sales. They have to jack up their food and beverage prices to actually make a profit and pay their overheads.

So by staying at home & illegally downloading the movie you are actually saving the cinemas money, gotcha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Sweet popcorn takes like sugarpuff breakfast cereal. Bleugh.

Anyway, we go to the kids club and get the combo meal thing. Tickets, small popcorn, small sweets and small drink for €6.

When I'm going to the cinema and it's not the kids club, we bring stuff with us. The tickets alone are €20 so I'm not forking out another €20 for nibbles when I can spend a fiver in Aldi.

The only food I ever buy in the cinema is Ben&Jerry's and I don't think the cinema get much of that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Has anyone ever been turned out of a cinema for bringing in their own sweets?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

OldGoat wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been turned out of a cinema for bringing in their own sweets?

Once you don't bring in alcohol, fast food or take the piss, most staff will leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

wes wrote: »
    Wait, he actually taught it was stealing? What the hell are his parents teaching him.

Wait 'til he hits puberty,they'll send him to bed wearing boxing gloves to stop him interfering with himself.

zerks wrote: »
    Wait 'til he hits puberty,they'll send him to bed wearing boxing gloves to stop him interfering with himself.

Birra vaseline he'll be graaand

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ash23 wrote: »
    Sweet popcorn takes like sugarpuff breakfast cereal. Bleugh.

Anyway, we go to the kids club and get the combo meal thing. Tickets, small popcorn, small sweets and small drink for €6.

When I'm going to the cinema and it's not the kids club, we bring stuff with us. The tickets alone are €20 so I'm not forking out another €20 for nibbles when I can spend a fiver in Aldi.

+1

The kids club is actually ok value wise but going to an evening showing then it's bring our own munchies,you'd need a mortgage to buy food in cinemas these days.It's a 40k round trip to my nearest cinema so costs all add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I bring my own drink and sweets the whole time though I usually splash out on the popcorn as its usually warmer, larger and saltier and quieter than store popcorn.

I see parents do this at the weekend with a group of kids and its understandable and I see no problem with it as long as they do it quietly.

I remember going to see the Dark Knight years ago and the parents had 2 plastic bags full of stuff and spend the film pouring 2L 7UP into paper cups and handy out multipack meanies every few minutes, all i could hear was plastic rustling and the sound of fizzy drinks being opened.

Good thing twas my third time seeing the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

My dad used to shamelessly bring in all kinds of crazy stuff into the cinema with us when we were little, I mean flasks with soup in them and the like! I remember dipping slices of bread into a bowl of soup during Ace Ventura 2. After that, I'd think absolutely nothing of bringing a just about anything in (I don't because it distracts me from the film in a pretty big way though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

If it averts tragic cases like this then I'm all for this form of food smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Fair enough, but if they price it that no-one will buy any, they won't make any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Don't some cinema's check bags for such stuff?

A certain cinema in Galway is such a stickler for the fire-code that they can't possibly let patrons bring back packs in :rolleyes:

That poor kid is going to grow up to pay his TV licence and buy things on iTunes and bring his own toilet paper to house parties or something, little sap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

A certain cinema in Galway is such a stickler for the fire-code that they can't possibly let patrons bring back packs in :rolleyes:

That poor kid is going to grow up to pay his TV licence and buy things on iTunes and bring his own toilet paper to house parties or something, little sap.

Luckily hand bags are fine and just my luck I have a girlfriend so I dont have to argue about my manbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL that poor kid, makes me wonder what other rubbish are his parents teaching him!

If I remember to buy munchies outside of the cinema I do, however most times I make it to the foyer and remember then.

The only time I was ever nabbed sneaking stuff in at a cinema was in the Classic in Harolds Cross (long now gone sadly) at a late night showing of Jurassic Park after spending the night in the pubs of Rathmines. They took the bag of beer off us after we were tried (badly) to smuggle into the cinema. Fair play to them, they returned the beer to us on the way out after the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

PucaMama wrote: »
    He does not.

I do so. No backsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Sweets and crisps etc fine. I know some people like to buy their own in the cinema.

No alcohol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Myself and the other half are going to see The Maze for Holloween and my plan is to get their largest bucket of buttered popcorn because it's just not the same eating it out of a bag of popcorn you'd buy in a shop but thats the only food I'll be paying for in the cinema, I'll be bringing an extra large hand bag to hold the MnMs (peanut of course), Lion bar, Chunky Kit Kat, Buffalo Hunky Doreys, six pack of Hula hoops and 2 liter of Diet 7 up (have to watch my figure like) I'll be buying in Tesco before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ninja ninja ninja

Yeah, I had a good long hard think about it and said if i'm gonna be a smart**, i may ass well be an honest smarta**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I remember going to the cinema as a kid and it happened as a once off in a cinema in Coolock. My mam got a load of goodies in the shop and they made her leave her handbag with the goodies in a locked room until after the movie. The had/have a no outside food policy there. Now in saying that it was about 18 years ago when this happened

If the cinema saying "only food bought on this premesis may be consumed here" then yeah that's grand enforce away but they have to have signage up to that effect. and if they want to search you they also have to have a sign up for that too..

I know If I had a cinema I'd have them up and I would be enforcing them. Cinema make next to no money on ticket sales for movies its all made via the food and to be fair everyone goes mad about the price of popcorn specifically. there's very little difference... at least not what I've noticed, between the bags of sweets and bars etc. (Pick N'Mix is a rip off absolutely everywhere). Bottles of soft drinks are a farce, price wise in cinema but a big drink in cinema and in Burger King Are comparable... i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I hate seeing the popcorn being brought in in big bin bags. Ruins the illusion.
    The local cinema has a popcorn machine. Much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I'd go to the cinema almost every week & I never buy cinema food. I'd normally go early in the mornings & bring coffee & breakfast in with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Wife brought ours & 2 neighbours kids to the cinema yesterday as a mid term treat.
    Anyway, they stopped off at a local Centra to pick up the contraband before going in.
    One of the kids refused as his parents had taught him it was stealing.
    Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

What's the forum's opinion on smuggling food into the cinema ?, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a consensus.

The 'let him go hungry bit' there - Jaysus, he's only a child. Ostracising him for the sake of a few extra quid is a bit harsh imo. Granted it's pretty full whack to buy food in the cinema but she could have purchased him something, the cheapest thing on the menu even. Despite the glaring oddity from the little fella he still shouldn't have been excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Chunners wrote: »
    Myself and the other half are going to see The Maze for Holloween and my plan is to get their largest bucket of buttered popcorn because it's just not the same eating it out of a bag of popcorn you'd buy in a shop but thats the only food I'll be paying for in the cinema, I'll be bringing an extra large hand bag to hold the MnMs (peanut of course), Lion bar, Chunky Kit Kat, Buffalo Hunky Doreys, six pack of Hula hoops and 2 liter of Diet 7 up (have to watch my figure like) I'll be buying in Tesco before hand

I'm not sure if you're actually serious. How many films are you going to see?

Advertisement