Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1 HD on Sky box

Options
  • 08-10-2014 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Is there any sign of RTE 1 HD coming on stream on Sky platform

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

its on saorview

why on sky for love hate

I have sky but I have rte1hd through saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

bbability wrote: »
    Is there any sign of RTE 1 HD coming on stream on Sky platform

the rte transponder is full so it cant launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

irishgeo wrote: »
    the rte transponder is full so it cant launch.

"Seriously!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If Sky want it then I guess Sky will have to find room for it on another transponder. There is no way that RTE should be footing the bill.

lertsnim wrote: »
    If Sky want it then I guess Sky will have to find room for it on another transponder. There is no way that RTE should be footing the bill.

i think sky covered the cost of the first transponder.

• Advertisement

i think sky covered the cost of the first transponder.

They did and they should cover the cost of the second one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭decor58

why is rte news now not on sky, there is room for improvement on the service but I am sure it would be welcome by irish community abroad, no copyright issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hardball between RTE and Sky. The loser is the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Aren't sky launching a new satellite in the next couple of months as an upgrade to the existing one..so that will have room for rte1hd as well as utv ireland hd..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Aren't sky launching a new satellite in the next couple of months as an upgrade to the existing one..so that will have room for rte1hd as well as utv ireland hd..

You don't understand, the problem isn't that the satellite is full, it's that the transponder carrying Irish channels is full. Each transponder (and there is over 100 of them) has a limited amount of bandwidth. RTE One HD would need to be carried on another transponder, meaning they would have to pay or do a deal for two. See, scroll down to the third one, 10744.00

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

The Irish channels are already on a new satellite, Astra 2e, only launched last year.

• Advertisement

Does that mean that UTV Ireland will go on the transponder where the other ITV/UTV channels are?

There is enough space if they converted the transponder to s2 but thats not going to happen..

I thought i read somewhere that there was something going to happen in the next few months..

Sky don't own any satellites. They rent transponders from the likes of Astra.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Sky don't own any satellites. They rent transponders from the likes of Astra.

Astra are the satellites owned and operated by SES..

Astra 2G is launching 4th quarter '14 which we are now in...

So maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I got an update yesterday to my box, where i can now send pictures from my phone to the box... still no rte 1 HD though :rolleyes:

mad muffin wrote: »
    I got an update yesterday to my box, where i can now send pictures from my phone to the box... still no rte 1 HD though :rolleyes:

what version box...

lucky you...

what version box...

lucky you...

I want to say 895. Is that right? The 500gb version or is it 890?

we have the samsung 500gb one...it has a slow fit every few days then it speeds up again...epg software update wont make a difference to channel selection..
    i wonder is rte holding back on putting rte1hd on the epg to get more saorview boxes sold....

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Its a nice new feature.
    Great for showing the relations all your holiday snaps:D

DRX-895 running R010.070.58.13P
    IOS Sky+App Version 5.0

Yes, it is a nice feature. Except I have many other ways I can accomplish the same. The only way I will be able to watch rte 1 HD is through sky. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

The only way I will be able to watch rte 1 HD is through sky. :(

Yeah same here.
    Hopefully RTE/Sky can get this sorted soon with the launch of Astra 2G.

I have sent an e-mail to RTE and called their switchboard twice voicing my annoyance at not been able to receive RTE1HD on the Sky platform. I recommend other Sky customers do the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

scart wrote: »
    Yeah same here.
    Hopefully RTE/Sky can get this sorted soon with the launch of Astra 2G.

I have sent an e-mail to RTE and called their switchboard twice voicing my annoyance at not been able to receive RTE1HD on the Sky platform. I recommend other Sky customers do the same...

Who is responsible for this? Is it Sky or RTE?

I find this "transponder" issue hard to believe.

murpho999 wrote: »

search other threads...in short, sky paid for a transponder that rte and other irish channels use..its full at the moment..

imo rte are to blame...not paying for a transponder in the first place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

murpho999 wrote: »

Hard to say.

The only reason RTÉ is on Sky in the first place, is because Sky offered to cover the cost of transponder leasing, as well as providing EPG slots and carriage.
    In turn, you need an active Sky subscription in order for the channels to clear, there is no Free-to-View option.

Presumably this was done because, at the time, Chorus/NTL had the huge advantage of carrying the Irish channels, as well as the BBCs, UTV, Ch4 etc. (which at the time were not FTA), and it was a big negative dragging sky's marketing drive down.

As it stands, I see the situation repeating, and we will only see RTÉ 1 HD on Sky when Sky feel that the cost of gifting a second transponder to RTÉ outweighs the loss of revenue from subscribers deflecting to other avenues/providers for RTÉ 1 HD (and any ancillary services that may launch). As it stands, all of the other main platform operators, SaorView, UPC and Eircom, carry RTÉ 1 HD.

If RTÉ were to go it alone on a second transponder at 28.2E, the cost would cripple them, a transponder lease costs multiple €100,000s per annum, on top of that there are EPG carriage fees, platform contribution costs and encryption fees payable to BSkyB for inclusion on the Sky service. Now, if 2rn could sublet the second transponder, e.g. to Setanta, 3e, TG4 HD, UTV Ireland, they might be able to subsidise it somewhat but the costs would still be enourmous compared to the nothing they currently pay under the Sky deal.

There is nothing on RTÉ 1 HD you cannot see on RTÉ 1 SD (save for the few hundred thousand pixels of course) so the cost is not justifiable to RTÉ just for a HD variant of an existing channel, and on a closed platform pay TV operator at that.

Kensington wrote: »
    Hard to say.

The only reason RTÉ is on Sky in the first place, is because Sky offered to cover the cost of transponder leasing, as well as providing EPG slots and carriage.
    In turn, you need an active Sky subscription in order for the channels to clear, there is no Free-to-View option.

Presumably this was done because, at the time, Chorus/NTL had the huge advantage of carrying the Irish channels, as well as the BBCs, UTV, Ch4 etc. (which at the time were not FTA), and it was a big negative dragging sky's marketing drive down.

As it stands, I see the situation repeating, and we will only see RTÉ 1 HD on Sky when Sky feel that the cost of gifting a second transponder to RTÉ outweighs the loss of revenue from subscribers deflecting to other avenues/providers for RTÉ 1 HD (and any ancillary services that may launch). As it stands, all of the other main platform operators, SaorView, UPC and Eircom, carry RTÉ 1 HD.

If RTÉ were to go it alone on a second transponder at 28.2E, the cost would cripple them, a transponder lease costs multiple €100,000s per annum, on top of that there are EPG carriage fees, platform contribution costs and encryption fees payable to BSkyB for inclusion on the Sky service. Now, if 2rn could sublet the second transponder, e.g. to Setanta, 3e, TG4 HD, UTV Ireland, they might be able to subsidise it somewhat but the costs would still be enourmous compared to the nothing they currently pay under the Sky deal.

There is nothing on RTÉ 1 HD you cannot see on RTÉ 1 SD (save for the few hundred thousand pixels of course) so the cost is not justifiable to RTÉ just for a HD variant of an existing channel, and on a closed platform pay TV operator at that.

Is it true HD or upscaled SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

There is enough space if they converted the transponder to s2 but thats not going to happen..

Why do you think this wouldn't happen? Are there still so many old Sky boxes out there with subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

forgive my ignorance but surely if RTE1 HD is encrypted what difference does it make what transponder it is on? people in the UK are not going to get it so i think thats not much of an excuse. I presume only the SD version is a must carry station for Sky so the HD version dosent have the same status.

forgive my ignorance but surely if RTE1 HD is encrypted what difference does it make what transponder it is on? people in the UK are not going to get it so i think thats not much of an excuse. I presume only the SD version is a must carry station for Sky so the HD version dosent have the same status.
    Because if they went it alone, they'd have to pay the standard ratecard:
    http://corporate.sky.com/documents/about-sky/policies/bskyb-and-sssl-published-price-list.pdf

Then rent transponder capacity from an existing leasing agent, and figure out how to get the channel feed to the teleport uplinking to that chosen transponder (primarily UK, France, Belgium).

RTÉ uplinks directly to the current transponder from Nutley Lane since all content on it can be muxed locally in Donnybrook.

Is it true HD or upscaled SD

Some native, remainder upscaled.

• Advertisement

Thurston? wrote: »
    Why do you think this wouldn't happen? Are there still so many old Sky boxes out there with subs?

If Sky could switch every transponder to DVB-S2 with H.264 encoding they would do so in a heartbeat, all things being equal, it'd cut their current bandwidth usage by more than a half. There are still a considerable number of "non-HD" subscriber equipment (including a lot of multiroom installs), presumably too, a lot of broadcast equipment is only DVB-S MPEG-2 capable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement