Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

abarkie wrote: »
    I was going to get the Mini, but the 4G doesn't have the band for O2 :eek:

What is the band for 02 ? , I can't find it any anywhere. From reading elsewhere it looks likely 02 are not going to roll out 4g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi

Just got one of the following delivered, was surprised with the quality of the phone and screen is good. Really good value I thought at just over €80 but was talking to guy and there is discount code available now on phone so it is going for $83.99 shipped.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_72925.html
    Use coupon code: L200LM

mine was marked by customs as $25 dollers so was not hit with any import tax which made it even better. Played a few demo games and watch a film last night on it and now issues. Screen was good quality and no issues with performance.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Barr wrote: »
    What is the band for 02 ? , I can't find it any anywhere. From reading elsewhere it looks likely 02 are not going to roll out 4g.

Will see It work with eMobile

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Getting an error message on my Xiaomi 1S saying 'Blank SD card storage' and I've tried to format it but it doesn't do anything. Tried to do it on laptop/computer too but it says it couldn't do it. Any ideas to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There are literally hundreds of Google results across dozens of phones for that problem, post #18 and 19 in this thread are one solution:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2/238998-sd-card-error-sd-card-blank-has-unsupported-file-system.html

Might be others that dont require a format but I doubt it.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded like a dick there that wasn't the intention :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Thargor wrote: »
    There are literally hundreds of Google results across dozens of phones for that problem, post #18 and 19 in this thread are one solution:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2/238998-sd-card-error-sd-card-blank-has-unsupported-file-system.html

Might be others that dont require a format but I doubt it.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded like a dick there that wasn't the intention :D
    I did google it before posting here but I still couldn't find something that worked. I did what is said in that link and still getting the couldn't format message at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

SD card has probably died then if you couldn't get the pc to do it either, it happens, especially with the cheap ones. There are tools available to format cards that might be a bit more powerful than windows built-in stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If anyone is after a Meizu MX4 . Gearbest.com have given Gizmochina a voucher for $105 making the 16 gb version $344.

The code is Gizmochina and lasts another 10 hours.
    I decided not to go for it as it looks like the 4g bands are quiet limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Will a non bill sim work on a bill phone, thinking of replacing the S4 but its a bill pay with 3, will a 3 payg sim work on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Will a non bill sim work on a bill phone, thinking of replacing the S4 but its a bill pay with 3, will a 3 payg sim work on it?

Yes, the phone is locked to the company/network. Not to the contract

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Yes, the phone is locked to the company/network. Not to the contract

Deadly thought so. the Xiaomi will set me back 220 with delivery I should make the back and a bit more with the S4

• Registered Users Posts: 4 binbag92

Has anybody tried the "SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD" app to solve the app storage issue on Kitkat. I have a rooted Elephone p8 and was just wondering would this app work without any side effects?

How come you are replacing the S4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Cheers think ill get this http://www.xiaomishop.com/144-xiaomi-redmi-note-4g-lte-martphone.html

The battery on the S4 is terrible, for a normal user its ok but for me who's never off the phone I needed a bigger battery.

The battery issues I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

I am using a Huawei phone right now and it's great. In New Zealand and cost roughly 70 euro including sim card. Can't fault it except for battery life and being a little slower touch screen wise. All compared to the Mrs' Iphone 4S which cost 15 times more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Could be an interesting one when its released

http://www.gsmarena.com/archos_unveils_the_50_diamond_with_4g_lte-news-10014.php

Also a french company so no customs charges.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    I am using a Huawei phone right now and it's great. In New Zealand and cost roughly 70 euro including sim card. Can't fault it except for battery life and being a little slower touch screen wise. All compared to the Mrs' Iphone 4S which cost 15 times more!

I think Huawei phones are really well made , the Ascend P7 & Honor 6 look class.

eamonnq wrote: »
    The battery issues I guess.

Eamonn is spot on, by the time I get home I have about 30% battery and im charging it again at 7 so Im using to much elec with it.

Eamonn is spot on, by the time I get home I have about 30% battery and im charging it again at 7 so Im using to much elec with it.

THL5000 for you so!!

THL5000 for you so!!

Need 4G on it, going for the Xioami note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Can I request some advice here?

I'm trying to decide on a new phone, and I'm edging toward a Chinese Android. I need 3G (I'm on Three in the UK) and would like decent performance and screen. GPS performance is important, as I use the satnav a lot. 2 sims would be required, as I still use my irish O2 phone to text the family.

I also need a case, as I tend to do lots of outdoor work.

I'd like to purchase from UK eBay or Amazon, so I do have SOME comeback if it breaks.

I was thinking of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231320167493?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111402898595?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What do ye think?

Thanks!

What do ye think?

Thanks!

Both of them have MTK chips so GPS is not going to work as well as you need it to.

Cheers think ill get this http://www.xiaomishop.com/144-xiaomi-redmi-note-4g-lte-martphone.html

The battery on the S4 is terrible, for a normal user its ok but for me who's never off the phone I needed a bigger battery.

Ordered today :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Interested in this too...just reset my S4 to default recently to get back my battery life. Back on 24 hours or so, from 12. Rogue apps destroy the battery life of these phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Good call Barr ;)

Good call Barr ;)

Never denied it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Both of them have MTK chips so GPS is not going to work as well as you need it to.

Damn, that's a shame indeed! Most of these phones use the MTK type chips, don't they? What DOES work?

Thanks.

Damn, that's a shame indeed! Most of these phones use the MTK type chips, don't they? What DOES work?

Thanks.

The newer MTK chips work, they're generally in Octa-Core phones, I think they're MTK5892 but that may be off
    Snapdragon works fine for GPS, they're getting more common

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

whats the single most powerful Chinese android phone on the market today? just interested

• Advertisement

whats the single most powerful Chinese android phone on the market today? just interested

Anything running a Snapdragon 805, AFAIK Snapdragon 808 and 810 aren't available yet.

One+ 1 is probably up there with the top

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement