Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have heard very mixed reviews about the Kingsley - which are actually beginning to fall more on the negative side now - food wise I mean; the actual surroundings and the staff are fine but it's the most important element, the food, which is letting them down.

I'm going for afternoon tea there in November - really looking forward to it so I hope it's nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Went to Wagamamas last night and I just don't get it.. Himself likes it but I am a defo no no..

Staff were great when we got there and then disappeared. We got a starter to share took one bite, and his main was out, five mins seconds later mine was out. So didn't even finish the starter.. Wanted to get a coffee or dessert but the staff were no where to be found, back by the kitchen chatting.. Paid like €7 off for what they called a big glass of wine, which was just a big glass.. Defo wont be going back there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why does everyone assume I'm a guy!!!!!!

And you can behave like a whiney petulant child all you like, throwing all your toys out of the pram at the slightest infraction... it's not for me, thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Milly33 wrote: »
    Went to Wagamamas last night and I just don't get it.. Himself likes it but I am a defo no no..

Staff were great when we got there and then disappeared. We got a starter to share took one bite, and his main was out, five mins seconds later mine was out. So didn't even finish the starter.. Wanted to get a coffee or dessert but the staff were no where to be found, back by the kitchen chatting.. Paid like €7 off for what they called a big glass of wine, which was just a big glass.. Defo wont be going back there

You're right, you don't get it. The food in Wagamamas (which is yummy btw) comes out as it is prepared. The staff would have told you this, they ALWAYS do. There are no starters. There are sides and there are the mains. The sides are always on the table first (quickest to cook) but they do not wait for you to finish them to bring out the main. Once a meal is ready, it is brought down to your table.

I do agree though that sometimes when you are finished your meal, the staff can be a bit slow coming back around to ask if you want coffee/desert/bill but it's never been a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

What is the problem there? A big glass is 250ml, a smaller/regular glass is 175ml. :confused:

I love the idea of sides and mains. It means there is always something to nibble on if one of the mains takes longer to cook, and the food is delivered perfectly freshly cooked to your table - no sitting under a lamp or anything, waiting for the other main to be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

leahyl wrote: »
    I work in UCC and have been there maybe twice (both times a good few years ago now) and each time the service has been extremely slow and each time I went was on a lunch break so you'd want to have 2 hours for lunch! The food was only ok each time too....they obv haven't improved on their service which would put me off going again, because I was only thinking recently that I might visit again....perhaps not now...

Even before we sat down I had a bad feeling about the place: They have these big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over a beautiful scene of autumnal trees with the leaves turning - a genuinely superb view. Only problem was that the windows were absolutely MANKY - they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. Our group noticed it straight away and remarked on what a shame it was - set the tone for the entire meal, unfortunately.

I mean, FFS: half an hour of cleaning, once a week, would make a huge difference to the ambiance - incredible laziness and incompetence really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I work in UCC and have been there maybe twice (both times a good few years ago now) and each time the service has been extremely slow and each time I went was on a lunch break so you'd want to have 2 hours for lunch! The food was only ok each time too....they obv haven't improved on their service which would put me off going again, because I was only thinking recently that I might visit again....perhaps not now...

Also work in UCC, not a fan at all of the Glucksman. I think their food is average and overpriced for what you get. I think I went there twice ever and I'm no longer on main campus so don't go at all now. Service is slow and not the friendliest either so nothing to entice me back even at a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Even before we sat down I had a bad feeling about the place: They have these big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over a beautiful scene of autumnal trees with the leaves turning - a genuinely superb view. Only problem was that the windows were absolutely MANKY - they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. Our group noticed it straight away and remarked on what a shame it was - set the tone for the entire meal, unfortunately.

You can always tell the standard of a restaurant/cafe by the way they keep the place. Dirty windows would be a pretty good pointer, as is the state of their loos...

I went home to London in February. Needed a curry fix, so I arranged to meet some friends in Woolwich of all places. If you know London at all, you'll know Woolwich is a dive of a place! The restaurant they booked was in a little side street off the main Woolwich Road. But - OMG. The place was spotless and the food unreal! :D Definitely will go back!!

• Advertisement

Well now I didn't spot that they weren't starters could have sworn it said but perhaps it didn't. But either way nope they didn't tell us anything about bringing all the food at the same time, they only thing they double asked was large or small glass of wine.. Which looking at the menu yeah it says those glass sizes but it was little more over just a reg glass that we got...

Food wasn't wow either one was laced with coriander and the other was just too much..Everyone is different but I know I defo would not be going back there...

Well now I didn't spot that they weren't starters could have sworn it said but perhaps it didn't. But either way nope they didn't tell us anything about bringing all the food at the same time, they only thing they double asked was large or small glass of wine.. Which looking at the menu yeah it says those glass sizes but it was little more over just a reg glass that we got...

Food wasn't wow either one was laced with coriander and the other was just too much..Everyone is different but I know I defo would not be going back there...

I can see how it can be missed but they are marked "sides" not "starters" at the top. The only way they didn't tell you that the food comes out as it is cooked is if you said you had eaten with them before, in which case they don't give the "Wagamama 101" speech :)

Different strokes for different folks as you say. I personally love the place, great spot for a random "I don't feel like cooking dinner tonight but haven't booked anything" dinner :D

No mention of 101 and twas obvious we hadn't eaten there before.. Perhaps you should take a wonder into town this evening for a bite tis nice to walk around trying to pick we do have a great selection

• Registered Users Posts: 17,990 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another outstanding meal in Gallo and Galetti last week, 10 of us were there for a birthday party, clean plates all around it was delicious.

I had the Tuscan chicken, came with sautéed potatoes and this sort of medley of mixed peppers really good, the only thing was the sausage stuffed in the chicken lacked a bit of flavour.

Everyone was very happy and its great value. I'd really recommend it to anyone who hasn't been yet.

No mention of 101 and twas obvious we hadn't eaten there before.. Perhaps you should take a wonder into town this evening for a bite tis nice to walk around trying to pick we do have a great selection

Bad waiter so, it should have been explained.

You're grand thanks, lots of nice places to eat in Cork for sure but I'll be eating at home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

I have heard very mixed reviews about the Kingsley - which are actually beginning to fall more on the negative side now - food wise I mean; the actual surroundings and the staff are fine but it's the most important element, the food, which is letting them down.

I'm going for afternoon tea there in November - really looking forward to it so I hope it's nice!

Food was very nice for me about 5 weeks ago. Always teething problems as a hotel restarts I suppose. Interior is stunning- all hard wood but modern looking- views on the river are great. Very happy with value as well although menu was a little strange in some ways... no underlying theme to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

I'm a Dub coming in for the weekend to see my mother who recently moved out west.
    I want to bring her to a nice fancy restaurant on Friday but don't know Cork at all, can you people's republic lads steer me right?
    She likes french, italian, steaks, indian or chinese.... Any ideas? Needs to be taxi reach of cork city centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you work there or something? You've really overreacted to pwurple's review.

Shame to hear about the Glucksman. I've only eaten there once, but it was always held in high regard. Maybe they're diverting all their energies to the new Asian place they're opening and Fresco is slipping as a result? Or maybe it's just gone to pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi there,
    has anyone tried 'The Venue' in Ballintemple? It's recently renovated, but don't know if they do food.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm a Dub coming in for the weekend to see my mother who recently moved out west.
    I want to bring her to a nice fancy restaurant on Friday but don't know Cork at all, can you people's republic lads steer me right?
    She likes french, italian, steaks, indian or chinese.... Any ideas? Needs to be taxi reach of cork city centre.

Market Lane, Greene's, Star Anise, Isaac's. All within walking distance of the City Centre.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

One reply to ask if she complained is a normal response. 4 posts harassing her for your interpretation of her post is an overreaction. Let it go!

Define fancy.

Market Lane is quality food and service, though you can't book it.
    Bar Electric has great food with a lot of buzz from the bar downstairs.
    Les Gourmandes is fancy fancy dining.
    Liberty Grill has great food too, great service and is a bit smaller than the first two I mentioned.

All are in the city centre.

Hi there,
    has anyone tried 'The Venue' in Ballintemple? It's recently renovated, but don't know if they do food.
    Thanks!

Hello yep tis open now under new owners, no food im afraid they are going to start it but id say it will be a while away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hello yep tis open now under new owners, no food im afraid they are going to start it but id say it will be a while away

Thanks Milly33....just had a yearning for a bowl of homemade soup and thought of there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Les Gourmandises, as mentioned above, best (only?) French restaurant in Cork.
    For Italian, I love Rossini's for the ambience, although maybe La Dolce Vita shades it for the food.
    Greene's an option for the setting (pond & waterfall).

All are within walking distance (or a grumpy "is that as far as you're going?" taxi ride) from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had a nice lunch in Fresco this week. Always quite liked the place. Service was friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Thanks for the advice! This west Brit appreciates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Just in case you're not already aware of it, the Jazz Festival will be on this weekend so town will be very busy. You ought to make a reservation as soon as you've decided where you'll be taking her.

Also, as this is thread is effectively a review thread you might throw up your thoughts on your experience afterwards. Welcome to Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mother of god would you lay off!

The poor starter we let slide, it was followed by decent enough mains. We sent back the desserts when they went wrong later. Perfectly reasonable and normal behaviour by any civilised standard. How you choose to behave in a restaurant, is your own business. Feel free to storm off completely outraged after a dodgey starter if you like. You have not persuaded me that I need to change my ways.

Back on-topic, has anyone been to Bunnyconnellans lately? Someone has given us a groupon they can't use... wondering is it worth the trip, or should I regift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement