Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If Lars does own the Metallica name then maybe he could lease it out once he retires. Every territory could have its very own officially-sanctioned 'Metallica' tribute band. A franchise, if you will, like McDonalds.:p

Don't fecking give him ideas :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

In fairness he tightened up considerably by the time they released Justice. But then he full on stopped giving a ****.

The Black album docu film was an eye opener. Nearly two thirds of a nine month recording session were taken up with Bob Rock trying to coax a single decent take out of Lars - but to no avail. In the end Randy Staub had to razorblade edit everything together, or chances are that they would still be stuck in a recording studio to this day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In fairness he tightened up considerably by the time they released Justice. But then he full on stopped giving a ****.

AJFA is his best work imo and he still sounded decent for the black album tour from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Farting Turkeys

You can really hear Lars make a mess of AJFA this year at the Rock AM ring 2014. Can't post a link, not enough posts, but basically it starts out with James stopping the song because he thought his guitar was out of tune, then they start AJFA again and Lars goes totally off rhythm and makes a balls of it, so they stop and restart again.

It was actually a good performance until Lars messed it up again before the last chorus , just after the really long guitar bit, he finishes the drum beat too early and it just sounds awful.

Seems to be a recurring thing with Lars, he's just a bad drummer. I wonder how many takes it took to get AJFA ready for release?

• Advertisement

You can really hear Lars make a mess of AJFA this year at the Rock AM ring 2014. Can't post a link, not enough posts, but basically it starts out with James stopping the song because he thought his guitar was out of tune, then they start AJFA again and Lars goes totally off rhythm and makes a balls of it, so they stop and restart again.

It was actually a good performance until Lars messed it up again before the last chorus , just after the really long guitar bit, he finishes the drum beat too early and it just sounds awful.

Seems to be a recurring thing with Lars, he's just a bad drummer. I wonder how many takes it took to get AJFA ready for release?

I saw that too, I wonder does he even practice his rudiments, also you never see him do does drum convention things, I wonder why lol.

I saw that too, I wonder does he even practice his rudiments, also you never see him do does drum convention things, I wonder why lol.

He just seems to struggle with everything. I think the best drumming I saw him do was on Binge and purge Seattle '89, very hark and quick. Particularly Puppets, AJFA and One.

Yes that's when he was at his best , i love that DVD actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭KH25

Lars has admitted he doesn't really practice anymore.

KH25 wrote: »
    Lars has admitted he doesn't really practice anymore.

He shouldn't need to practice, after ~30 years of playing the same sets surely he knows the songs by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

He shouldn't need to practice, after ~30 years of playing the same sets surely he knows the songs by now?

It's not so much a question of knowing how the songs go, it's also a matter of taste and technique, getting out of a rut, purging the bad habits that invariably creep in. That's why even seasoned players continue to practice. Players should always be looking for the odd trick/lick to add to repertoire to enhance their performance, to enhance the music they're playing. There's also the fact that as you get older, you generally have to practice if you want to stay at the standard you were at when young and full of beans.

You get the feeling with Lars that he mainly wanted to become a rock star. Drums were just a means to that end. They weren't necessarily the all-consuming passion that other better drummers would have had. But Lars had the business acumen in spades, and the confidence and drive to go after what he wanted, and he got it.

briany wrote: »
    It's not so much a question of knowing how the songs go, it's also a matter of taste and technique, getting out of a rut, purging the bad habits that invariably creep in. That's why even seasoned players continue to practice. Players should always be looking for the odd trick/lick to add to repertoire to enhance their performance, to enhance the music they're playing. There's also the fact that as you get older, you generally have to practice if you want to stay at the standard you were at when young and full of beans.

True, I saw Kirk make a balls of one on more than one occasion this year, Glastenbury being one of them.

You also have too practice your rudiments and work on your weaknesses and he should definitely practice the songs and get them down tighter .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

True, I saw Kirk make a balls of one on more than one occasion this year, Glastenbury being one of them.

Made a balls of his solo in One also when I seen them in Marlay Park in 2009 too, I was expecting this blistering solo and he completely messed it up, think he mistimed it and did like half of the solo. The people around me naturally were like "What the f**k??"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is it just me or does it feel like about once a month or so, this thread goes full circle and Lars drumming and Kirk's sloppy play get debated again?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.

Is it just me or does it feel like about once a month or so, this thread goes full circle and Lars drumming and Kirk's sloppy play get debated again?

Annoying as it may be to it come around again and again, it's a sticking point. Some people feel that if you're gonna be playing in the biggest heavy band of all time, you should play like it, not rely on past glories.

Kirk's been playing a lot better these days though. I think he sat down and sorted some stuff out around the time of DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Can't blame Lars for the botch at Rock Am Ring to be fair, I believe when they play that song the acoustic kinda intro is not played live but through a tape, tape was never played so band had no que leading to not just Lars but the whole band being all over the shop. Vid from Rock Am Ring below along with them playing it botch free with the intro tape in Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

briany wrote: »
    Annoying as it may be to it come around again and again, it's a sticking point. Some people feel that if you're gonna be playing in the biggest heavy band of all time, you should play like it, not rely on past glories.

Agreed. But no one's saying anything that wasn't said a month ago, 3 months ago and 6 months ago on this thread. So after this episode of Groundhog Day finishes, do you reckon we'll get till Christmas before it comes up again?

Agreed. But no one's saying anything that wasn't said a month ago, 3 months ago and 6 months ago on this thread. So after this episode of Groundhog Day finishes, do you reckon we'll get till Christmas before it comes up again?

I reckon late November.

The other thing is that, as is wont to happen on many boards, the same topics get hashed out again and again, leaving the regulars fairly jaded of them, to put it politely. Unless you have mods include specific 'no Stairway' type rules for certain oft debated topics, it'll continue to happen until it's felt by enough people that the subjects are no longer relevant.

As an aside, the term 'trolling', as an Internet related term, appears to originally come from not posting inflammatory material on the Internet, but posting messages on well-worn topics designed to attract, and hence identify, newcomers.

So maybe on this thread, people will start doing a spot of 'Larsnkirksuxing'. Somehow I doubt it'll catch on.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'll issue warnings and infractions if it comes up again in 2014. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I guess until the new album is released we're bound to repeat the same stuff over & over, i.e Lars's drumming & Kirk's sometimes sloppy playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I guess until the new album is released we're bound to repeat the same stuff over & over, i.e Lars's drumming & Kirk's sometimes sloppy playing.

Banned

****maybe not****

lord lucan wrote: »
    Banned

****maybe not****

Well look at it this way, at least Metallica haven't gone the way of GN'R, something related to Metallica always pops up online, they do interviews, they love their fans, whereas GN'R well that's self explanatory really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

On the flipside of the coin - James' guitar playing is still utterly relentless. A veritable riff dispensing machine.

Easily one of the greatest rythm guitarists of all time.

On the flipside of the coin - James' guitar playing is still utterly relentless. A veritable riff dispensing machine.

Easily one of the greatest rythm guitarists of all time.

In Mick Wall's Metallica book, James attributes his relative ease of singing and playing precise rhythms to the short classical piano education he received as a child where playing and singing was encouraged, giving him that little headstart. I'm sure there was a shedload of practice involved too, though.

How's this for a plot twist, Former BLACK SABBATH Drummer Bill Ward's Advice: "Learn From Lars Ulrich"

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/former-black-sabbath-drummer-bill-wards-advice-learn-from-lars-ulrich
    Ward was offering advice to fellow drummers and called out Lars Ulrich as somebody drummers should try to emulate. Ward says he sees a lot of similarities between himself and Lars and how they chose to approach the instrument:
    “Lars is spiritually sound – I really like that. A lot of the paths that Lars has passed through, I’ve travelled myself.

“I ended up with able to take whatever my abilities are, and utilise that in whatever music we did. So it's like, 'This is what I've got.' I can remember going through a period, probably 26 years ago, where I stopped competing. I had to find out what I could do and make good use of it. It sounds like Lars has reached that settling ground as well. And I think he does such a good job of it.”

“His creations have brought the sound of Metallica to the very edge of the metal spearhead. There are so many things in all those songs that are departure points – other drummers can look at it and go, 'Well, this didn't exist before.'

“If you’re learning drums, listen to Lars, man. He's got some really good stuff that you can learn from."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

at facevalue the bill ward statement is a pile of crap but not entirely...lars has inspired millions of drummers and probably gave them the confidence to carry on and take up the instrument and then take it to new heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

He's right that some drummers settle into a pattern. Rodger Taylor pretty much did this in the latter half of Queen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

at facevalue the bill ward statement is a pile of crap but not entirely...lars has inspired millions of drummers and probably gave them the confidence to carry on and take up the instrument and then take it to new heights.

True that, in a similar vein I'd have never picked up the guitar if not for Kirk, sloppiness and all. Listening to the likes of Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai to name but a few, it's night and day on their technique, and how they can play very clean, yet very fast at the same time, but I'll always hold a special place for Kirk for inspiring me to take up guitar in the first place.

Advertisement