Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon elite Field

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

There is an exceptionally good elite field this year, in terms of Irish athletes. ...... On top of that, there are international elites invited

Thanks. :) Any idea when the fields will be announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The elite field will be released next week.

Should answer your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

There is an exceptionally good elite field this year, in terms of Irish athletes. There are 7 men hoping for sub 2:20 and 3 women who should be under 2:40. When you bear in mind that we are just over the European Championships, that's a really good number. There are also about 6 more who should be sub 2:25.

This will be good to look back at after the event. Personally I don't think there is a hope in hell of 7 Irish men going Sub 2:20 and 13 in total Sub 2:25.

Last year there were 2 and 8 within the above times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

What I wanna know is who is the exceptional half marathoner making his debut in the marathon?

Time to start speculating!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Mick Clohissey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I know an Ethiopian 2.12 runner has asked for an entry.

His relation is a former Boston marathon winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Probably best then to wait until next week for the list of elite male and female athletes to be published. Thirstywork2's creation of a speculation-based thread hasn't really provided any insight. I'm sure there can be a great debate when the actual list is published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Probably best then to wait until next week for the list of elite male and female athletes to be published. Thirstywork2's creation of a speculation-based thread hasn't really provided any insight. I'm sure there can be a great debate when the actual list is published.

My post was not really to speculate but to find out who was in fact running.

So list of Irish who are 100% starting barring injuries are ???
    Foreign athletes are always up in the air depending on who the Dublin marathon want or allow to run.Budgets will also dictate this.

Hardworker will fill us in on the elite field when that is finalised im sure.
    Would love to see some top Uk runners to help bring a few lads under 2.20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I heard Fagan's not running. Not sure how reliable that is.

As another poster mentioned, where is Sean Connolly? He seems to have dropped off the face of the planet since his 2.16 in Rotterdam 2 years ago.

Kennealy (?)
    Frazer (?)
    Pollock (?)
    Ledwith (?)

Does anyone know when the DCM usually release the entrants?

Sean is now back living in Dublin and training well but not sure he is doing Dublin.
    Ledwith on a long road back and probably won't see him run a marathon for 2-3 years.
    Kenneally working his way back to fitness after surgery,last race was Donadea 5k I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Quick question:

Does the elite field start up front as part of wave 1 or do they have their own separate start?

Need an answer to this ASAP... Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

up front as part of wave 1
    elite%20start.jpg?format=1500w

(which means random chancers can sneak to the front too)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Brilliant. Thanks for the quick response

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RayCun wrote: »
    (which means random chancers can sneak to the front too)
    Like the guy front and centre? First after 8 seconds. 1704th at the end :rolleyes:

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The look number 7 is shooting no.854 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

28064212 wrote: »
    Like the guy front and centre? First after 8 seconds. 1704th at the end :rolleyes:

I remember passing him somewhere around mile 18 or 19, and he was knackered and clearly not looking forward to the final 7 or 8 or miles (good! :D )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So...who are they then?

Any updates on the field?

Any update on the elite field?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ghost in Cratloe

The stream trickles along the forbidden landscape,
    The sun shines bright through the effervescent evergreen,
    The leaves smother the tattered trials,
    The fall is upon us and we shall march towards the trumpets of Merrion Square.

Irish Men's National Marathon Contenders 2014:

Gary O Hanlon
    Sergiu Ciobanu
    Freddy Keron Sittuk
    Barry Minnock,
    Brian McMahon
    Brian Maher
    Paddy Hamilton
    Eddie mcGinley
    Eoin Flynn

On the women's side there is Maria McCambridge, Barbara Sanchez, Fiona Stack, Breege Connolly.

On the International side there is Scola Kiptoo from Kenya,. She has a personal record of 77 mins for the half so not out of reach for the Irish girls.

On the men's side there is the 2.09 Russian mentioned earlier and a few others from across the Iron Curtain. Perhaps Freddy will bring a few Kenyans over with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Gary O Hanlon
    Sergiu Ciobanu
    Freddy Keron Sittuk
    Barry Minnock,
    Brian McMahon
    Brian Maher
    Paddy Hamilton
    Eddie mcGinley
    Eoin Flynn

On the women's side there is Maria McCambridge, Barbara Sanchez, Fiona Stack, Breege Connolly.

On the International side there is Scola Kiptoo from Kenya,. She has a personal record of 77 mins for the half so not out of reach for t he Irish girls.

On the men's side there is the 2.09 Russian mentioned earlier and a few others from across the Iron Curtain. Perhaps Freddy will bring a few Kenyans over with him!
    Who's your money on
    Any possibility we might get those Kenyans?
    Nice penmanship by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

m!

The poetry master. :rolleyes:

blockic wrote: »
    The poetry master. :rolleyes:

Spoofer or liar would be more apt i would have thought.

Gary O Hanlon
    Sergiu Ciobanu
    Freddy Keron Sittuk
    Barry Minnock,
    Brian McMahon
    Brian Maher
    Paddy Hamilton
    Eddie mcGinley
    Eoin Flynn

On the International side there is Scola Kiptoo from Kenya,. She has a personal record of 77 mins for the half so not out of reach for the Irish girls.

7 Irish guys under 2.20 and a further 6 under 2.25 looks very unlikely. GOH says he wants to run 2.17, I can't see that happening but if his run in the Athlone 3/4 was a true MP run, he definitely has a shot at sub 2.20.

If I had to pick a winner now, I'd go for Freddy the Kenyan who has run under 2.20 on several occasions.

Maria Mc on the women's side. When is the full international field going to come out?

7 Irish guys under 2.20 and a further 6 under 2.25 looks very unlikely. GOH says he wants to run 2.17, I can't see that happening but if his run in the Athlone 3/4 was a true MP run, he definitely has a shot at sub 2.20.

If I had to pick a winner now, I'd go for Freddy the Kenyan who has run under 2.20 on several occasions.

Maria Mc on the women's side. When is the full international field going to come out?

I was marshaling at the Athlone 3/4 just short of the 10 mile mark and GOH came through very comfortable and was able to converse with me. If he maintained that pace as you said he'll go sub 2.20. Looking at him at the time i saw him i thought he was holding back, so sub 2.17 might well be achievable.

Agreed. Hard to argue against Freddy the Kenyan and Maria for the National titles.
    Looks like there could be good battles for the minor medals in both fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Gary O Hanlon
    Sergiu Ciobanu
    Freddy Keron Sittuk
    Barry Minnock,
    Brian McMahon
    Brian Maher
    Paddy Hamilton
    Eddie mcGinley
    Eoin Flynn

Great to see you back woodchopper :)

boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89655675&postcount=89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great to see you back woodchopper :)

boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89655675&postcount=89

Too much of a noob to post urls?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89655675&postcount=89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Maria is definitely a clear favourite for the women's national title. If her run in Charleville is anything to go by then she is in PB shape.
    I think Sergiu might give Freddy a game in the men's. He hasn't been racing much of late so must be training steady....he has the fastest recent PB, didn't he run 2:15 last year?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Maria is definitely a clear favourite for the women's national title. If her run in Charleville is anything to go by then she is in PB shape.
    I think Sergiu might give Freddy a game in the men's. He hasn't been racing much of late so must be training steady....he has the fastest recent PB, didn't he run 2:15 last year?

Yeah, he ran 2.15 for a WC standard, the heat got to him in Moscow and he ran 2.3x. He ran a 64 half in the buildup to that marathon.

66 in Charleville on a blistering fast course in September suggests he isn't in that kinda shape now. Still, should be a great battle between them but Freddy gets my vote for his sheer consistency.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he ran 2.15 for a WC standard, the heat got to him in Moscow and he ran 2.3x. He ran a 64 half in the buildup to that marathon.

66 in Charleville on a blistering fast course in September suggests he isn't in that kinda shape now. Still, should be a great battle between them but Freddy gets my vote for his sheer consistency.

2.15 was in April 2012.
    Ran 2.17 in May this year.

Advertisement