Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Dead cow would be a must tbh.

Anything nice in the 1.6-2.0 range i'd consider, doesn't have to be an Alfa. Always wanted one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156/7509362

There you go ;) needs a good clean outside though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cars-for-sale/7601605 bargain even though it has the crap selespeed and it needs to be de-boyraced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I really want this, the original roof rack, dog gaurd and boot liner just do it for me!
    It's also AWD and turbo.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7724128
    Subaru forester s turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

NCT'd up to the 23rd of August 2015. Could be a good one that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's ideal, pay for 6 months of tax and sell it with it's NCT still intact when the tax is up.
    Me, I'd probably hold onto it for winter and use my Mazda for summer... If I had a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I mentioned lads taking photos there before and a few lads thought I was mad but as someone who spent four years in UL it is not a place most people ever drive up to. I would say there is something seriously amiss here.

I reported the adverts to Donedeal saying that the car has a registration that evidently does not correspond with the car and that the guy has used several different names in past Donedeal adverts with the same number.

The Donedeal response: They just fobbed me off say that they removed the advert...but.....guess what.....they never did! :mad:

Here it is, never removed despite Donedeal saying that they removed the advert. Just shows what Donedeal think about combating illegal activities on their website.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-audi-a6-1-9-tdi-auto-trip-quick-sale/7869699

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

mickdw wrote: »
    That's stupidly cheap and up 10 days so I would put money that all is far from well.

Agreed. I paid just shy of 2k more than that for the same car (silver 07 Coupe) in June and it was a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I also reported this guy last night. Got the stock reply from donedeal.
    Dia1988 wrote: »
    I reported the adverts to Donedeal saying that the car has a registration that evidently does not correspond with the car and that the guy has used several different names in past Donedeal adverts with the same number.

The Donedeal response: They just fobbed me off say that they removed the advert...but.....guess what.....they never did! :mad:

Here it is, never removed despite Donedeal saying that they removed the advert. Just shows what Donedeal think about combating illegal activities on their website.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-audi-a6-1-9-tdi-auto-trip-quick-sale/7869699

Help me out here everyone. Sadly my beloved e46 died at the weekend. I am looking for a nice comfy luxurious replacement in which I can wear sunglasses and pretend to be a secret agent. 2k budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Dead cow would be a must tbh.

Anything nice in the 1.6-2.0 range i'd consider, doesn't have to be an Alfa. Always wanted one though.

Dead cow can be picked up for 100 euro. I wouldn't pht of buying a good one because it doesn't have any. Very easy to retrofit, although harder in post 2000 ones (airbags).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

percy212 wrote: »
    Help me out here everyone. Sadly my beloved e46 died at the weekend. I am looking for a nice comfy luxurious replacement in which I can wear sunglasses and pretend to be a secret agent. 2k budget.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is200-mint-2002-tested/7811255

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

It's a 13 year old car with a three litre petrol engine, what do you think it should be?

I like that Range Rover

Oh maybe a million euro or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

percy212 wrote: »
    Sometimes they are cheap because the seller either (a) didn't think to clean the camera lens before taking pictures; (b) smeared a very small bit of petroleum jelly on the lens before taking pictures; (c) as stated above or (d) short NCT.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Esel wrote: »
    Sometimes they are cheap because the seller either (a) didn't think to clean the camera lens before taking pictures; (b) smeared a very small bit of petroleum jelly on the lens before taking pictures; (c) as stated above or (d) short NCT.
    It really is amazing what you can tell from an ad.
    As above - what were the sellers thinking - seriously ?
    On a side note - not washing a car before selling? WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'97 Rav4
    Test Sept '15
    Nice looking little bus
    Asking €975

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-toyota-rav4-4x4-nct-09-15-original/7810914

33703146.jpeg

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2002-1-4-nct-3-15/7881595

34034276.jpeg

Good to see good examples of these going into Bangernomics money now. Great cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Great cars.

Great cars? I wouldn't go that far. In fact I'd say it's quite the opposite. As a bangernomics car it's neither here nor there. It's not very cheap and ultra reliable like some of the older Toyotas that are brought up here now and then

And at the top of the bangernomics budget, about 99% of cars mentioned here are far nicer / greater and much better value for money

That's all pretty objective. To add my personal opinion: it's one of the worst and most boring cars I've ever driven and the styling must have been done by a robotic clone of a drunk Asian - there is zero style going on, no redeeming features at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2002-1-4-nct-3-15/7881595
    Good to see good examples of these going into Bangernomics money now. Great cars.

Dead right - they have great reliability and in terms of the class of car they are in are second only to the focus in my opinion.
    unkel wrote: »
    Great cars? I wouldn't go that far. In fact I'd say it's quite the opposite. As a bangernomics car it's neither here nor there. It's not very cheap and ultra reliable like some of the older Toyotas that are brought up here now and then

And at the top of the bangernomics budget, about 99% of cars mentioned here are far nicer / greater and much better value for money

That's all pretty objective. To add my personal opinion: it's one of the worst and most boring cars I've ever driven and the styling must have been done by a robotic clone of a drunk Asian - there is zero style going on, no redeeming features at all.

They arent cheap as they are a good car. They also have the same engine and gearbox as the previous corolla so I dont know what you mean by they arent as good as the older toyotas with the same drive train.

99% of the cars at the top end of the bangernomics budget wont hold their value as well and probably wont be as reliable.

Your third paragraph makes me think you are drunk yourself or else just a racist.

Obviously there are better cars, there are better bangernomics on this page. It depends on your tastes on what you look for in this thread.

But for the average motorist, for a person with a small budget, it's a good choice. Cheap to run, cheap to tax, fairly modern, good build quality and reliable. Those Corollas were a worthy replacement of the previous model, which obviously was famed for its reliability. It'll hold its value and it will be easy to sell and its desirable.

I think the styling is fine. It's not striking or anything, but it's fairly inoffensive.

They tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people, so that makes it good bangernomics imo. No redeeming features is just silly, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Great cars? I wouldn't go that far. In fact I'd say it's quite the opposite.

The opposite being awful or terrible. That would be wrong by any neutral person's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well that escalated quickly! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I guess opinions are like ar$eholes :)

Me I'd rather a comfy luxurious and safe Mercedes-Benz E200 auto with leather and a good spec for €800 than a €2,200 Corolla of the same age with, I repeat, no redeeming features. The former will cost maybe a tenner more per week in total cost of ownership over a year or two (so only marginally more)

But I guess some of the above posters somehow would be happier owning a Corolla :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Theres no wrong or right. But some people who say "toyotas are great, aren't they" are like people who say Brazil are the best football team in the world. There may have been a time when that was true, but that is long gone and the rest of the automotive world has moved on.

In the general buying public, toyota still have this reputation, and people who know little about cars will pay a significant premium for this perceived peace of mind. That premium makes Toyota and other makes with "Sure aren't they a great car?" reputations less valuable in a pure bangernomics sense.

There are several models out there for significantly less money that are equally as good, and indeed may prove to be a far more enjoyable experience. bangernomics isnt really about resale value, and even then, you are relying on finding another fool who will pay you a premium for it.

As for looks, I aint going there. I drive a croma for gods sake.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement