Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not knowing if action was taken on a reported post?

Options
  • 07-10-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I reported this post as I found it nasty and spiteful and don't know if any action was taken on it.

If someone had said what was said in that post to me in real life, or on Facebook or on YouTube or wherever I can react and deal with it by myself, but this is boards and the rules are that it's the moderators who deal with any ugly people.

So my question is, was action taken on that post, and if not, why not?

(I've pm'd two AH mods and have been told by one of them they don't know if action was taken or not)

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

There are already various threads here discussion why this information would not be provided. It might be helpful to read through some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It's mentioned in a few places hereabouts, If you think it wasn't action'd for whatever reason you can pm the c-mods of the forum involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You've already pm'd me and I responded to you. As Taltos has alluded to, you are not entitled to know the ins and outs of whether or not a post has been actioned. If any action has been taken (which, as I said in my pm reply to you, could have been in the form of a pm discussion between mod and user) then this action is, and will remain, between the mod and user in question. If we were to just give out this information to everyone then that would betray the trust between mods and users and would breach their right to privacy. Just because a post is directed at you doesn't give you the right to know exactly what happened as a result.
    As an aside, if a post like the one you linked to is still bothering you this much a month and a half later I think you need to develop thicker skin. And I don't mean that in a smart-assed way. While not exactly the warmest post on the site, it was hardly a personal attack of biblical proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

El Guapo! wrote: »
    You've already pm'd me and I responded to you. As Taltos has alluded to, you are not entitled to know the ins and outs of whether or not a post has been actioned. If any action has been taken (which, as I said in my pm reply to you, could have been in the form of a pm discussion between mod and user) then this action is, and will remain, between the mod and user in question. If we were to just give out this information to everyone then that would betray the trust between mods and users and would breach their right to privacy. Just because a post is directed at you doesn't give you the right to know exactly what happened as a result.
    As an aside, if a post like the one you linked to is still bothering you this much a month and a half later I think you need to develop thicker skin. And I don't mean that in a smart-assed way. While not exactly the warmest post on the site, it was hardly a personal attack of biblical proportions.

Well I managed to go 3+ years without ever actually reporting a post so I'm not ashamed to say it did got under my skin (I deleted a previous account and rereg'd) but I don't accept I need thicker skin though as the post directed at me was spiteful and nasty in the context of the thread. With the level of anonymity here on boards, as in, it can be hard to know a persons race, weight, family history, age ect. I think what that poster directed towards me is on the higher end of the personal abuse scale.

If someone directed that comment to me in real life, Facebook or wherever I could react in a way that I think is proportional, but here on boards any justified response would have seen me carded/banned, a rock and a hard place springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Is there any way that a post I've reported could be 'tagged' in some way so that if I see that post again, I can see something that lets me know that the post has been looked at?

That way I'd know if a moderator had looked at the post, but still not know what action, if any, had been taken.

If I hover the mouse over the report icon, a little textbox (?) pops up saying 'report post'.

Let's say, for example, if I hover the mouse over the 'report' icon after reporting a post, it might say something like 'this report was reviewed' or 'this report has not yet been reviewed'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

osarusan wrote: »
    Let's say, for example, if I hover the mouse over the 'report' icon after reporting a post, it might say something like 'this report was reviewed' or 'this report has not yet been reviewed'.

That wouldn't tell you much. A mod could look at something and think it's fine. Look at something and think they need another opinion on it. Or look at something and it's one part of a much larger web of stuff and needs all the other mods and maybe the CMods involved to work out what to do. Or the post could be actioned but not in a public way, e.g. a PM sent. Or whatever.

nesf wrote: »
    That wouldn't tell you much. A mod could look at something and think it's fine. Look at something and think they need another opinion on it. Or look at something and it's one part of a much larger web of stuff and needs all the other mods and maybe the CMods involved to work out what to do. Or the post could be actioned but not in a public way, e.g. a PM sent. Or whatever.

It would tell me that a moderator either has or hasn't looked at the post, which is what I wanted it to tell me.

If they think that the post doesn't warrant any action, well I guess that's fine, even though I obviously thought it probably did. If they've done something which is not in public view like a private message that's fine too.

I would just like to know whether a post has been viewed by a moderator yet or not.

This comes from me reporting a post in after hours a day or two ago. The post is still there and no visible action has been taken. Considering the content of the post, I find it hard to believe that a moderator looked at the post and decided that it warranted either no action or was actioned with something like a private message, which is more lenient than a card.

I am guessing it hasn't been reviewed yet, but i obviously don't (can't) know.

It would tell me that a moderator either has or hasn't looked at the post, which is what I wanted it to tell me.

If they think that the post doesn't warrant any action, well I guess that's fine, even though I obviously thought it probably did. If they've done something which is not in public view like a private message that's fine too.

I would just like to know whether a post has been viewed by a moderator yet or not.

This comes from me reporting a post in after hours a day or two ago. The post is still there and no visible action has been taken. Considering the content of the post, I find it hard to believe that a moderator looked at the post and decided that it warranted either no action or was actioned with something like a private message, which is more lenient than a card.

I am guessing it hasn't been reviewed yet, but i obviously don't (can't) know.

How does it help you though if you you can't tell if the mods thought the post was ok or if it was dealt by PM? You're no clearer on whether the post was actionable or whether action was taken.

How does it help you though if you you can't tell if the mods thought the post was ok or if it was dealt by PM? You're no clearer on whether the post was actionable or whether action was taken.

For the third time, it clears things up in that I know whether the post has been looked at or not.

I am not asking or expecting to know what action, if any, was taken.

For the third time, it clears things up in that I know whether the post has been looked at or not.

Why do you need to know that? (genuine question)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Due to the fact "boards" want you to report any posts that seems crossing the line, and give the mods a bit of an easier task in the process, it would be nice that you can actually see if a mod/c-mod picked up your reported post, could be an automated message, don't know if that is at all possible.

More then once I noticed reported posts weren't picked up by a moderator for whatever reason .. (not blaming anyone), Just an acknowledgment would be helpful

Why do you need to know that? (genuine question)

If a reported post is not picked up by a mod for whatever reason ... (happened to me on more then one occasion) It could lead to confusion regarding what is or isn't allowed.

weisses wrote: »
    If a reported post is not picked up by a mod for whatever reason ... (happened to me on more then one occasion) It could lead to confusion regarding what is or isn't allowed.

There will be confusion regardless of whether the reported posts are shown as viewed or not. In either case PMing the mod with a polite message is your only option for clearing up your uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I am not asking or expecting to know what action, if any, was taken.

I would read the "reported post" email and you still wouldnt know if I had taken any action.
    It doesnt clear anything up at all.

There will be confusion regardless of whether the reported posts are shown as viewed or not. In either case PMing the mod with a polite message is your only option for clearing up your uncertainty.

Yes ... and creating more work in the process .. (which is something that possibly could and should be avoided)

GreeBo wrote: »
    I would read the "reported post" email and you still wouldnt know if I had taken any action.
    It doesnt clear anything up at all.

Did you even read my posts? I'm not looking to find out if any action was taken.

I just want to know if the post has been viewed by a moderator yet or not. That's all.

Did you even read my posts? I'm not looking to find out if any action was taken.

I just want to know if the post has been viewed by a moderator yet or not. That's all.

Did you read mine?
    Which post do you want to know if I have seen? the reported one or the post about your report?

I can read the post and the reported message all in my email without ever going to the thread.
    I frequently never look at the thread itself unless I am taking an action on the reported post.
    The vast majority of the time I wont even look at the thread created to track your report.

The system you are requesting is flawed.

Did you read mine?
    Yes, I did. I have no idea why you and nesf keep going on about how it won't tell me know if any action has been taken on a reported post, because that's not what I'm looking for.
    D
    Which post do you want to know if I have seen? the reported one or the post about your report?

I can read the post and the reported message all in my email without ever going to the thread.
    I frequently never look at the thread itself unless I am taking an action on the reported post.
    The vast majority of the time I wont even look at the thread created to track your report.

All this is interesting, as I have no idea what the process is regarding dealing with a reported post. This clears it up.
    The system you are requesting is flawed.
    No it isn't flawed. Not worth it's while to implement, maybe, because I have no idea how difficult it would be to set up a system the would mark rerported posts as viewed or not yet viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

weisses wrote: »
    Due to the fact "boards" want you to report any posts that seems crossing the line, and give the mods a bit of an easier task in the process, it would be nice that you can actually see if a mod/c-mod picked up your reported post, could be an automated message, don't know if that is at all possible.

More then once I noticed reported posts weren't picked up by a moderator for whatever reason .. (not blaming anyone), Just an acknowledgment would be helpful

Sometimes I thank a RP as a note for the poster, and also so other mods can see I've looked at it. Reported Posts are obviously private so I'm not sure if much information can be given to users who aren't authorised for access.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yes, I did. I have no idea why you and nesf keep going on about how it won't tell me know if any action has been taken on a reported post, because that's not what I'm looking for.

All this is interesting, as I have no idea what the process is regarding dealing with a reported post. This clears it up.

No it isn't flawed. Not worth it's while to implement, maybe, because I have no idea how difficult it would be to set up a system the would mark rerported posts as viewed or not yet viewed.

And I keep trying to explain that these posts can be read without boards.ie knowing I read them, as I get an email about them containing all the details.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Sometimes I thank a RP as a note for the poster, and also so other mods can see I've looked at it. Reported Posts are obviously private so I'm not sure if much information can be given to users who aren't authorised for access.

The reporter wont see your thanks (or the post at all) unless they are a Mod or above.

And I keep trying to explain that these posts can be read without boards.ie knowing I read them, as I get an email about them containing all the details.

Because there is no mechanism in place to let boards (and even more, the person who reported the post) know you read them.

That is exactly what I'm posting about. If it's worthwhile to put that mechanism in place.

Anyway, I've had enough of this thread. I posted in it because of a fairly nasty post that I (think I) reported a day or two ago, which is still there (last time I checked a couple of hours ago). Either it has been looked at, or it hasn't.

I'd like to know if it has or not, so I can find out if I actually reported like I think I did, and if, even though I did report it, if it slipped through the cracks somehow.

Maybe somebody involved in site development might see and comment on this sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd like to know if it has or not, so I can find out if I actually reported like I think I did, and if, even though I did report it, if it slipped through the cracks somehow.
    If you did report it, it's not your problem anymore, you did your bit.
    If you can't remember if you reported it or not and it's bothering you, report it again.

Not seeing why a new mechanism is needed really. I mean, what would you do with the information that your report was read or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sparks wrote: »
    If you did report it, it's not your problem anymore, you did your bit.
    If you can't remember if you reported it or not and it's bothering you, report it again.

Not seeing why a new mechanism is needed really. I mean, what would you do with the information that your report was read or not?

Not seen one of these threads in a while :D

How about a feature like on the thanks button that tells you if you have already reported a post?

Because there is no mechanism in place to let boards (and even more, the person who reported the post) know you read them.

That is exactly what I'm posting about. If it's worthwhile to put that mechanism in place.

Anyway, I've had enough of this thread. I posted in it because of a fairly nasty post that I (think I) reported a day or two ago, which is still there (last time I checked a couple of hours ago). Either it has been looked at, or it hasn't.

Maybe somebody involved in site development might see and comment on this sometime.

Last attempt.
    How is boards going to know if I read an email sitting in my gmail inbox?

And this is all before the question of why on earth you want to know?
    Report again if you cannot remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rest assured that reported posts are reviewed. We try to have a minimum of 2 mods per forum, so if one is not around to review an RP at least one other mod is. Also, CMods receive notification of all RPs in their category as a further layer of checks.

The chances of one going unnoticed is small. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but rest assured that we do the best possible to review them all to ensure the smooth running of the site.

As the mod team put all this effort in, I'm sure that it would not be a good use of resources & hard cash to design & develop a feature to satisfy people's curiosity as to whether someone looked at their RP or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just my 2 cent: if someone googles that thread down the road that post sits with the appearance of inaction on the moderators.

There's the obvious school of thought that 'nasty posts should stay to exemplify what shouldn't be posted' except here those no indication the post was carded, and no indication in the thread that the poster/posters in general were warned about that level of discussion. Such, it makes the thread, and the people on the site, seem that little bit more 4chan-y and lawless. There are 5 options readily spring to mind: delete the post, warn the user on thread, edit the post with a warning, snip content from the post, or card the post. The appearance of not doing anything indicates to the layman, that style of posting is acceptable in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Overheal wrote: »
    Just my 2 cent: if someone googles that thread down the road that post sits with the appearance of inaction on the moderators.

There's the obvious school of thought that 'nasty posts should stay to exemplify what shouldn't be posted' except here those no indication the post was carded, and no indication in the thread that the poster/posters in general were warned about that level of discussion. Such, it makes the thread, and the people on the site, seem that little bit more 4chan-y and lawless. There are 5 options readily spring to mind: delete the post, warn the user on thread, edit the post with a warning, snip content from the post, or card the post. The appearance of not doing anything indicates to the layman, that style of posting is acceptable in general.

But what if the post is looked at and the mods decide there is nothing worth warning about? Any really nasty posts i have seen or reported have been removed/carded but there are others i have reported and (from what i can see) that are still there, i presume mods have looked and decided no action needed, it can be frustrating sometimes bit that's life i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What's the nest phase to take if any if you believe reported post/s haven't been acted on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

PM the forum mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement