Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

nesf wrote: »
    Pointless unless you're running at 1440p or above. As from the 1080p samples shown, you'd struggle in a blind test between High and Ultra textures at lower res.

I'd be surprised if you didn't get good performance out of a 4GB 770 or similar with Ultra actually.
    Oh yea, a reasonable res would be 1080p at the minimum. :D

As for how the 4GB card would fair, I'd be rather skeptical given the game requires 5.4-5.6GB of VRAM while running at 1080p and 1440p to be honest.

Either way, I think my 2GB 670 needs to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gizmo wrote: »
    Oh yea, a reasonable res would be 1080p at the minimum. :D

As for how the 4GB card would fair, I'd be rather skeptical given the game requires 5.4-5.6GB of VRAM while running at 1080p and 1440p to be honest.

Either way, I think my 2GB 670 needs to go...

I'll test tonight with a 4GB card. I've seen countless user reviews poo-pooing the 6GB number, so I expect it to go fine.

nesf wrote: »
    Did a quick test with the benchmark:

Ultra preset except for Ambient Occlusion being at Medium (this has a big effect on fps). 1080p resolution, 4GB GTX 770 used:

High Texture Quality: 62 fps average
    Ultra Texture Quality: 58 fps average

Nothing I'd write home about. I wouldn't be able to tell the two apart at 1080p, so it's not a big deal anyway, but I imagine that memory guideline is for much higher resolutions since with all games going from 1080p to 1440p or above was what GPU memories bigger than 2GB were for.
    You did download the texture pack as per the DF article right? Ultra is still selectable regardless but it just uses the High quality assets instead.

As for the VRAM requirement in general, rather than suffering a frame rate loss you'd be seeing more stuttering as textures are swapped out. Have you checked VRAM usage in-game with something like GPU-Z or Afterburner?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Combat is dull and repetitive, doubt ill bother to complete this.

You did download the texture pack as per the DF article right? Ultra is still selectable regardless but it just uses the High quality assets instead.

As for the VRAM requirement in general, rather than suffering a frame rate loss you'd be seeing more stuttering as textures are swapped out. Have you checked VRAM usage in-game with something like GPU-Z or Afterburner?

Just deleted, sorry. Yeah I downloaded it and told it to install but on a double check it hadn't installed. Will rerun after install. I got suspicious after more tests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Dcully wrote: »
    Combat is dull and repetitive, doubt ill bother to complete this.

The combat is awesome sauce IMO. No complicated nonsense, just straight in there with some skull smashing tomfoolery.

I love this game because it's nothing but good old fashioned fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

enjoying it so far. quite difficult starting off anyway, which is good! feel a bit restricted in my movement.

COYVB wrote: »
    The combat is awesome sauce IMO. No complicated nonsense, just straight in there with some skull smashing tomfoolery.

I watched a bit of the TotalBiscuit playthrough and there appeared to be visual markers above the heads of enemies before they were due to attack à la the Batman games. Can these be disabled so you need to rely on animation cues instead?

I watched a bit of the TotalBiscuit playthrough and there appeared to be visual markers above the heads of enemies before they were due to attack à la the Batman games. Can these be disabled so you need to rely on animation cues instead?

Yup. You can turn the entire HUD off, including all notifications and visual markers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

COYVB wrote: »

Each to their own but its boring to me with zero challenge nowhere near "awesome",combat from the likes of the witcher have me spoiled.
    Solid game but the combat is just the same old same old to me.

• Advertisement

Depends what you're looking for from a hack and slashy actioner really

Overcomplicated combat is rarely top of my agenda for that kind of thing. One button is sufficient

VRAM: 2.5GB vs 4GB
    FPS: About 10-15 fps knocked off

Visually: No noticeable stutter during the benchmark, what I noticed was the memory maxed out during the load in and then hovered just below 4GB as texture files were swapped in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc90

Dying to play it, recently bought War of The North on PS3, even though its nothing special, it was god dam fun if you didn't take it too seriously.

After watching you tube playthroughs I think it has the making of something great.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Have played a couple missions after the intro. I have no idea what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Have played a couple missions after the intro. I have no idea what's going on.

If you just start aiming at the yellow mission markers and doing them you'll get up to speed fast. Can't be bothered explaining as it needs a spoiler and I'm on my phone!

You'll grasp it quickly.

Mounting the caurogors or whatever reason they're called is cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bought and downloading, wont get to play till earliest tomorrow or Friday, wanna set aside a few hours to get into this.

Really had not paid attention to this until the last few days as just assumed it would be a cheap AC clone. Hope all the hype ive seen is not wrong.

so what to do with an overpowered captain? i have this one prick that's killed me several times, he's level 20 and can only take damage from arrows and explosions apparently but i tried shooting him and not a scratch. just avoid him like the plague?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

froog wrote: »
    so what to do with an overpowered captain? i have this one prick that's killed me several times, he's level 20 and can only take damage from arrows and explosions apparently but i tried shooting him and not a scratch. just avoid him like the plague?

Sounds like that orc captain has 99 problems but you aint one.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have a similar problem, one captain got the better of me a couple of times and is now a legendary captain, immune to stealth, mounted and ranged attacks and finishing moves, can counter, can't be jumped over, causes poison and bleeding, and constantly calls in new mooks. His only listed weakness is fear of fire, but he simply can't be knocked into it and I'm ages away from having fire arrows. He's terrifying. And to top it off he's one of the bodyguards for a war chief I needed to kill, pretty much meaning there's no way I could get through him to my target.

At least, that's what I thought until about an hour ago when I dropped one of those hornet's nest things on him and he got terrified and legged it, taking his near infinite mob of boys with him and allowing me to kill the chief. It wasn't specifically listed in his strengths/weaknesses sheet, which I guess means that means he's vulnerable in some way.

Ignore those guys if you can, keep them out of the fight by loosing a few caragors, or a graug, or whatever is handy. It's the war chiefs you need to get at.

Sarky wrote: »
    I have a similar problem, one captain got the better of me a couple of times and is now a legendary captain, immune to stealth, mounted and ranged attacks and finishing moves, can counter, can't be jumped over, causes poison and bleeding, and constantly calls in new mooks. His only listed weakness is fear of fire, but he simply can't be knocked into it and I'm ages away from having fire arrows. He's terrifying. And to top it off he's one of the bodyguards for a war chief I needed to kill, pretty much meaning there's no way I could get through him to my target.

At least, that's what I thought until about an hour ago when I dropped one of those hornet's nest things on him and he got terrified and legged it, taking his near infinite mob of boys with him and allowing me to kill the chief. It wasn't specifically listed in his strengths/weaknesses sheet, which I guess means that means he's vulnerable in some way.

Ignore those guys if you can, keep them out of the fight by loosing a few caragors, or a graug, or whatever is handy. It's the war chiefs you need to get at.

I think a lot of them are afraid of those nests.

You weren't close to a camp fire that you could kite him to and then shoot an arrow into it? That fire ability for camp fires is top or second tier. Would be curious to see if it did much damage to him.

I'll be getting to that when I get home from work. I was doing some gollum missions before going to bed last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Each to their own but its boring to me with zero challenge nowhere near "awesome",combat from the likes of the witcher have me spoiled.Solid game but the combat is just the same old same old to me.

The witcher does many things right.....combat certainly is not one of them. It was unintuitive, the animations were stiff and clipped and there was massive button lag/delay from the time you pressed the button and what happened on screen. The developers admitted this and released a patch to try and fix it but they never quite got there. The combat in the Witcher 3 clips looks quite different which is telling as it highlights the fact that cd projekt red weren't happy with their own game.

Batman is third person combat done right. This is nearly universally agreed upon with very few dissenting voices and this is the system they emulated in Shadows of Mordor. It's not perfect, but its certainly a cut above what we got in the Witcher.

you can set him on fire by shooting those flammable barrels (stacked in a 2x2x2 crate) you see dotted around. just fight/pull him right next to it and hit with a regular arrow. don't worry about taking damage yourself, you are immune to fire and explosions handily enough!

Each to their own but its boring to me with zero challenge nowhere near "awesome",combat from the likes of the witcher have me spoiled.
    Solid game but the combat is just the same old same old to me.

it definitely is challenging though. the combat is simple enough but you really need to plan out your hits on captains and the like. find out their weaknesses, separate them from their many goons, kite to certain locations, etc. and if you fail, they get stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

This worth getting tomorrow on the XO or PS4? I am looking to try my hand at another game, this looks like it could be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

logik wrote: »
    This worth getting tomorrow on the XO or PS4? I am looking to try my hand at another game, this looks like it could be good.

If you like Assassins Creed and the Batman Arkham games, then you will probably like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

froog wrote: »
    you can set him on fire by shooting those flammable barrels (stacked in a 2x2x2 crate) you see dotted around. just fight/pull him right next to it and hit with a regular arrow. don't worry about taking damage yourself, you are immune to fire and explosions handily enough!

So far he's never anywhere near one, and he's a javelin thrower so he keeps his distance from me while swarming me with minions. He's a right bastard.

I killed his warchief last night though, so maybe he'll start moving around the map more now and an opportunity will arise. I'll be patient. Besides, I wanna see what Ratbag does next, he's the funniest character I've met in ages.

So far he's never anywhere near one, and he's a javelin thrower so he keeps his distance from me while swarming me with minions. He's a right bastard.

I killed his warchief last night though, so maybe he'll start moving around the map more now and an opportunity will arise. I'll be patient. Besides, I wanna see what Ratbag does next, he's the funniest character I've met in ages.

I think I killed the same guy by using triangle to kite him from a rooftop near to a fire. Hit the fire with an arrow and half his health went in one hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anyone else think the avenge missions are cool? Level 20 guys kill random players and then their Orc comes into your game. It's great for getting good loot.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Anyone else think the avenge missions are cool? Level 20 guys kill random players and then their Orc comes into your game. It's great for getting good loot.

Yeah its a cool idea alright. Only got one though.

8/20 of the main missions. Feels like I'm playing it quite a while. Some really cool abilities to get later on. Free invisibility for 20 seconds with unlimited kills without us breaking stealth seems awesome!

Advertisement