Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

HW has always been grim. There was a time a couple of years back when it looked like there would be some good contenders all vying for the title but, unless Werdum beats Cain, what else is there? Bring back Brock? Perhaps Fedor? Rocky Balboa? Prospects are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Maybe some of the bigger LHWs could move up like Gustafsson, if he loses to Jones again, could do a Sonnen and move divisions when he has no chance of another shot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregors going to go up to HW beat everyone then drop down and retire Aldo before 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

ASOT wrote: »
    McGregors going to go up to HW beat everyone then drop down and retire Aldo before 2015.

I heard he wanted to fight Cormier in a title elimianator at UFC 178 after JJ pulled out. But the UFC wouldn't let him fight twice in one night so he settled for just fighting Poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

miocic might be an exception
    wont trouble cain but may well trouble the rest
    id love to see him and jds square off

edit, forgot they were scheduled to fight earlier in the year

• Advertisement

Sanchez and Norman going at each other on twitter the last few days, really looking forward to this! Norman slowly but surely moving up the ranks, when he beats Sanchez he might get a bit more recognition!

4faa7affaed9cdb5b6a1a86feaefb39b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's funny when McGregor and countless others call people out and talk smack it generally sets my juices flowing but I can't for the life think why any time Parke talks smack he always seems like a try-hard.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    It's funny when McGregor and countless others call people out and talk smack it generally sets my juices flowing but I can't for the life think why any time Parke talks smack he always seems like a try-hard.

Because hes rarely done it i reckon, him and Anthony Johnson have only really started the last few months. Norman has a fairly good record but nobody is talking about him, hes obviously taking a leaf out of Conors book which is no harm because i want to see him do well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Anyone know what the story is with Seery? Is he injured?

Surprising that they haven't a fight lined up for him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Seery against Lineker would be a war. Shame he's booked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ShagNastii wrote: »

The "i'm gonna make you say my name b*tch" sounds like someone's gotten him a "Smack Talk for Dummies" book for his birthday and he's been using that for Twitter.

0.jpg

"You're sh*t aahhhh........"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah normans smack talk is quite cringey alright. Even him calling out diego after his last fight had that contrived feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Re HW title stagnation .. Its not how bad HWs are its how unbeatable Cain is.

Jones is the long-term answer.He will very likely beat DC and then Gus IMO and then its prob AJ (if he keeps winning while he waits for a shot).
    AJ is not in the same league as Jones obviously but the fight is deffo worth doing, he has a chance with his power but still think Jones remains champ til there's nobody left to contend (and there really is no argument for anyone after those 3 are done) Which brings us to end of next year.

Meanwhile
    Cain beats Werdum through sheer Cain-ness.. no way Werdum can hang 5 rounds with him. After that there's only JDS and its just too hard a sell in the near future but still possible if JDS destroys a couple guys Miiocic TB etc

So here's what's gonna happen... Jones becomes GOAT by beating Werdum Gus and AJ convincingly by end 2015 bar injury. At that point secures GOAT status in my opinion.
    Then he announces he's moving up to HW in 2016 and things get really interesting real fast!

Can you imagine a beefed up Jones weighing 240 against Arlovski Miocic, TB, Werdum, JDS or Cain? Man I'd love to see him against those guys.

He's a natural HW in my opinion ... Its gonna happen.. If he beats DC and Gus he goes to HW in 2016 quote me on that. I can't predict what'll happen but I genuinely think Jones could grow in size and power and retain his movement and style at HW . The big big question for me is whether he can knock big guys out and whether he can take punches from the big fellas. I think he can get to a title at HW with an intelligent approach to growing size and power but It'll take 2 or 3 wins at HW before they give him a shot at Cain which means 2017. More than 2 years from now. But at least there's a possibility of a Caintender in the future while he's still young enough.

And so yeah HW title picture is basically sh1t until Jones finishes clearing out his division and moves up and earns a shot - both of which are speculation I know but I genuinely think it will happen. Til then Cain makes everyone he fights look awful . His last fight with JDS IMO was the greatest expression of unstoppable cardio I've ever seen in MMA weighing what he weighs his heart is just better than everyone else's simple as that.
    I'm only trying to rationalize what I really really hope will happen! Anyone else want Jones up at HW once he's cleared house? Could be do well at HW?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not a chance in hell Jones will go up to HW, he has a cushy number in LHW and has even mentioned fighting Chris at MW :rolleyes:

Saying that, I would pay top top dolla to see Cain fight Jones as that would be a true super fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Anyone else looking guiltily forward to hunt nelson fight? Man they can both absorb and dish out hard blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

adamski8 wrote: »
    Anyone else looking guiltily forward to hunt nelson fight? Man they can both absorb and dish out hard blows.

This has guaranteed war written all over it. I wonder will Roy get crafty and pull out a sub as Hunt has been vulnerable there before.

In a strikers battle I'd have Hunt ahead in technique, power and chin. And although neither man is a cardio machine, I'd expect Hunt to be the fresher man the longer the fight goes. Roy gasses hard and usually ends up swinging at air after round one.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell Jones will go up to HW, he has a cushy number in LHW and has even mentioned fighting Chris at MW :rolleyes:

Saying that, I would pay top top dolla to see Cain fight Jones as that would be a true super fight.

I really don't think the Weidman fight will happen at 185 .. Possibly at 205 but Weidman gets crushed either way. I hope it doesn't happen. Jones can totally clear house at 205 at the age of 29 (after DC, Gus 2, AJ and possibly Weidman) and be GOAT with a 24-1 record (the MH loss was a win in my book) and then what?

He could retire at that point and move on but he's one of those uniquely competitive athletes who would never be happy not fighting while in his prime.

He could earn his biggest paychecks at HW, the ppv numbers to see him fight JDS or Cain would be enormous ... He could earn another 10 million at HW from 3 or 4 fights if he could hack it and that's a serious carrot.
    Can't see him fighting anybody else at 205 after the 4 guys mentioned (and the Weidman fight is pointless in my book)
    Evans, Tex 2, Bader or Newton are just not sellable fights ever and there's literally no prospective contender anywhere who can come through with enough hype OR build a fast enough impressive enough record over the next 2 years at LHW anywhere in the world unless I'm missing something (a lot says you;).

If or when he beats DC, Gus and AJ (possibly Weidman) there's nobody worth fighting or even credible at LHW. Evans could conceivably do something but will be too old too late too small unsellable imo for get it.

I only speculate 2 years out because you really can seriously talk 2 yrs down the road with Jones and his age and earning potential and sheer size makes HW a likely end point in his current probable trajectory... IMO.

How could they sell us any of these guys after the 3 mentioned seriously ... No way they could sell

Top 20 Fight Matrix LHW ranking right now
    Minus
    Evans Jackson Rua Bader Tex Hendo Tito Manuwa Latifi and nog .. All of whom we can completely disregard.

So your left with...

DC
    AJ (ahead of Gus on fight matrix..I know)
    Gus

Then
    Davis? .. Well crazier things have happened
    Newton... Please no
    Thiago.. No
    Vegh... Hell no
    King NO.. Just no
    Ovine St... No chance

There is nobody else. Its sad but its a fact. After DC, Gus 2 and AJ there's a silly Weidman option and then nothing left... Nothing sellable ... No big money ... Decision time!
    Retire
    Or
    Move up and possibly make many millions more dollars !!!

He's a natural HW in my eyes. He could grow and hang with big boys deffo... But will he have the balls to do it after next year?? I don't think he HAS to.. for his legacy or anything like that but it will take serious balls to make that decision and as much as I seriously dislike the guy I will have endless respect for Jones if he clears out 205 and refuses to stick around for easy wins.

At the end of the day I will keep arguing he's destined for HW until it happens.. Coz basically I just want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's a natural HW in my eyes. He could grow and hang with big boys deffo...
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but not this bit. If he was naturally a HW, he be HW sized by 27. Look at Brock, Cain, Carwin eye as collegiate wrestlers. They were HWs.

I'm not saying can't make HW, he can and should. He just naturally a 205er imo. Moving up the right way won't be quick or easy. He'd need to be careful not to take a fight too early and risk being undersized.

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but not this bit. If he was naturally a HW, he be HW sized by 27. Look at Brock, Cain, Carwin eye as collegiate wrestlers. They were HWs.

I'm not saying can't make HW, he can and should. He just naturally a 205er imo. Moving up the right way won't be quick or easy. He'd need to be careful not to take a fight too early and risk being undersized.

His brother Arthur is 337 lb at 6'3''. Just a point to note. I reckon JJ has always held back his natural BMI especially over last 6 full years in the UFC where his whole life was about being huge at 205 ... Developing strength but getting down to 205 every time. Its a miracle he was able to do it IMO. He fights at prob 226 lbs and we can argue whether he cuts more or same as others but he could certainly put 10 lbs lean muscle on over 9 mths on sidelines and weigh a comfortable 235-240 in the cage at hw. His movement alone would get him by 5 of the top ten on points and as he progressed through his first 2 fights he'd add another 5-10 lbs lean muscle IMO so he could progress up to be a strong and quick 245er over 18 months easing into hw with a couple lower menu guys first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

JJ might fight at around 220-225 but I'm pretty sure I've read that he walks around at 230-240 pounds. The top heavyweights right now aren't gigantic like some in the division or Brock used to be. JDS, Cain and Werdum are all around 240 pounds as well. He might need to put on a little more weight but he wouldn't be a mismatch for the top heavyweights weight-wise, the only problem is the fact that he's used to dwarfing nearly everyone he fights at 205. For all we know not having to cut a huge amount of weight could help him as well. He could even put a bit of meat on them skinny legs of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

His brother Arthur is 337 lb at 6'3''.
    He is also quite fat.

Just a point to note. I reckon JJ has always held back his natural BMI especially over last 6 full years in the UFC where his whole life was about being huge at 205 ... Developing strength but getting down to 205 every time. Its a miracle he was able to do it IMO.

He fights at prob 226 lbs and we can argue whether he cuts more or same as others but he could certainly put 10 lbs lean muscle on over 9 mths on sidelines and weigh a comfortable 235-240 in the cage at hw.[/quote]
    If say 226 might be about right now. Maybe 220 on the past.
    He could take 12 months off and get to 240, don't think it'd easy though.
    JJ might fight at around 220-225 but I'm pretty sure I've read that he walks around at 230-240 pounds.
    He's maybe let his weight balloon up from time time, but that's Jones getting a bit fat, he's nowhere near fighting condition at that weight.

Mellor wrote: »
    He could take 12 months off and get to 240, don't think it'd easy though.

He's maybe let his weight balloon up from time time, but that's Jones getting a bit fat, he's nowhere near fighting condition at that weight.

agree wouldn't be easy... but possible.

I just wana know what people think of his chances at taking out HW guys would be at 240 lean and strong?

if we don't dream of a way out of this then LHW and HW title picture gets boring after 12 months from now.... in fact if you ask me Jones beats DC easily... Gus is a tougher challenge and AJ is worth doing but isn't good enough to really challenge Jones. Cain beats Werdum deffo then what? JDS wont get another crack til he floors a couple guys and even then I've lost faith in him v Cain at this point (reluctantly it must be said)

Jones going up 2nd/3rd qtr 2016 is my totally rational fantasy ahem prediction.

look at the list of guys out there and you'll start to come around to the idea. Add potential money and age to the equation and it gets more rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Brave man saying Jones beats DC easily. Nobody will ever beat DC easily IMO.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Brave man saying Jones beats DC easily. Nobody will ever beat DC easily IMO.

I just think he'll be able to control it on the feet long enough to find his rhythm and then its game over stoppage or points IMO
    I get that DC is tough as nails and can grind anyone else to the deck and smother against the fence etc but not Jones ... Plus DC has not proven himself in my opinion.. Certainly not against enough top drawer guys yet. He's very good at what he does but it isn't enough for Jones, not nearly enough.

I just think he'll be able to control it on the feet long enough to find his rhythm and then its game over stoppage or points IMO
    I get that DC is tough as nails and can grind anyone else to the deck and smother against the fence etc but not Jones ... Plus DC has not proven himself in my opinion.. Certainly not against enough top drawer guys yet. He's very good at what he does but it isn't enough for Jones, not nearly enough.

We have no idea if what DC brings is good enough for Jones, DC hasn't even been tested in his MMA career so far and that includes a 5 round mauling of Josh Barnett. Having a definitive opinion on what DC is going to bring against Jones doesn't make much sense as it is pure guess work. That unknown is what makes it so exciting. FWIW i think DC smashes AJ and AG all day long if they ever meet, vs Jones I have no idea how it goes down.

We have no idea if what DC brings is good enough for Jones, DC hasn't even been tested in his MMA career so far and that includes a 5 round mauling of Josh Barnett. Having a definitive opinion on what DC is going to bring against Jones doesn't make much sense as it is pure guess work. That unknown is what makes it so exciting. FWIW i think DC smashes AJ and AG all day long if they ever meet, vs Jones I have no idea how it goes down.

Just curious what makes you think he smashes Gus?

ASOT wrote: »
    Just curious what makes you think he smashes Gus?

Dc's wrestling is on another level, i don't see Gus stopping the take down pretty much. Just a stylistic thing.

Dc's wrestling is on another level, i don't see Gus stopping the take down pretty much. Just a stylistic thing.

I think your underestimating the TD defence of Gus, he stuffed 10 of Jones 11 TDs when they fought, I know Jones isnt on the same level as DC but he is a fairly good wrestler, Managed to take Jones down for the first time in his career to. It would be a great fight imo but i really don't think he would get smashed! I get were your coming from through, DCs probably the only person who I could see control 99% of the roster on the ground with ease for 5 rounds just because of his size and power. The 1% being Cain who i think goes through him for a shortcut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

FWIW i think DC smashes AJ and AG all day long if they ever meet, vs Jones I have no idea how it goes down.

Don't see that happening at all
    cant wait to see aj v any of the other three mentioned though
    no idea how jones fight will pan out, think jones might keep dc at bay
    for five and earn a decision, really hope Im wrong though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement