Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

51st ISSF World Championship

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From the ISSF website (with permission):

ISSF_Logo_flag_312x468.jpg
    Over 2000 athletes coming from 100 countries, more than 50 events in 13 days of competitions, 64 Olympic quota places. These are the numbers of the 51st ISSF World Championship in all Shooting events that will be held in Granada (ESP) from the 7th through the 20th of September 2014.

It's the biggest ISSF competition, and it's the most important shooting sport event between London 2012 and Rio 2016: the 51st ISSF World Championship is indeed the first qualifier for the next Games. Everybody's here. Olympic and Continental Champions, title defenders, World Cup heroes, senior experts and young roosters: they are all competing to become the new World Champions and to secure a ticket to Brazil.

All the finals of the 15 Olympic Shooting events will be broadcasted live, via satellite and on the internet. Broadcasters will have access to live TV footage through the Eurovision network. Shooting fans from all over the world will be able to access live coverage of the championship both on the ISSF website (www.issf-sports.org) and on the official ISSF YouTube channel.

Results, stories, interviews, photo galleries and video-on-demand will be posted every day on the ISSF website and on our social media pages, completing the offer of contents produced directly on the field of play.

The countdown is already ticking on the ISSF website www.issf-sports.org, measuring the time remaining before the first live transmission: only 3 days to go to the 10m Air Rifle Men final, the medal match that will open the 51st ISSF World Championship. Stay tuned!

(and photos go up on the official ISSF flickr account as well)

And for those watching from here, our own IRLConor will be representing Ireland next Wednesday in 50m Prone Rifle along with a seven-man shotgun team competing in Trap and Skeet:

321121.png

Hard to underestimate how big a match this is, so being picked to represent your country in it is a huge deal, only the Olympics themselves pips it (and the competitive standard there is actually lower than at the World Championships). So congrats to Conor and all the shotgun shooters, well done lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Good luck everyone, bring home some medals!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+1

Best of luck lads.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

20140907_Opening-Ceremony-President_001.jpg

The 51st ISSF World Championship in all Shooting events officially kicked off in Granada, Spain, as the Opening Ceremony took place last night, Sunday, September 7, at the Teatro del Generalife of the Alhambra.

Over 2000 athletes coming from 94 countries are participating in the competition, held at the CEAR de Tiro Olimpico Juan Carlos I in Las Gabias, Granada, from the 7th through the 20th of September.

The best shooting sport athletes of the world are here. Olympic and Continental Champions, title defenders, World Cup heroes, senior experts and YOG medallists: they are all competing to become the new World Champions and to secure a ticket to Brazil.

For the first time in the history of the ISSF, Junior finals will be staged during this World Championship.

The first medals and quota places will be awarded at today's 10m Air Rifle Men final, at 1.30 PM (Spanish time).

Live TV footage will be broadcasted via Eurovision and on the ISSF YouTube channel.

You can find live updates on the event on the ISSF website, Facebook page and Twitter profile; the same goes for the Organizing Committee, the Royal Spanish Shooting Federation (website, Facebook, Twitter). To find out even more and join the conversation, use the hashtag #GranWCH14.

Some photos already coming in off the RSSF twitter feed (gotta love it when the sport embraces new tech...) of the 10m Mens Air Rifle:

321406.jpeg

321407.jpeg

First results are in for the 50m Mens Pistol Elimination...

• Advertisement

Men's 10m final now underway...
    http://bit.ly/issflive

In case nobody's heard that bit, Bubnovich is currently shooting that final at 39 years old. THERE'S HOPE YET! :D

Damn, but Yang's got a steady position in the hold...

Ugh, I do not like this new cheer-while-they're-shooting-instead-of-waiting-till-afterwards bit, especially that clown with the (muted) air horn...

Holy carp, Liu's using an Anschutz 2002CA, same as frankenrifle. I wonder how he's coping with the spare parts problem...

• Advertisement

Shoot-off between Kim and Liu... goes to Kim (10.7 v 9.4 and you could see it in Liu's face and eye that he wasn't handling the pressure as well).

Kim goes out on the next round despite shooting a 10.3 and a 10.7. The remaining shooters' countries are now all guaranteed quota places.

That's France, Belarus, Russia and China btw.

(Oh, and the 39-year old just drilled a 10.9 to move up to 5th place...)

Monnier goes out on this round, but takes away a quota place for France...

Bubnovich now 0.1 points from elimination on the next round...

Bubnovich claws up to third place, 0.8 points behind gold...

Nice to see that Steyr in action from Kruglov, but he's now facing elimination in the next round. Cao goes out on this round.

Bubnovich is using an LG400 in the anatomic stock, by the way. Nice rifle, though I personally hate the stock. And he's just dropped a 9.9 with it, which may have lost him a medal...

Kruglov is 0.1 points ahead of Bubnovich; the next shot decides who gets a medal and who goes home with (just!) a quota place...

And Bubnovich shoots 10.1 to Kruglov's 9.2 so Kruglov is out.
    Odds are that the medal placing won't change - Yang is 1 point ahead of Louginets who's a point ahead of Bubnovich - it could change, but only if someone fluffs it.

• Advertisement

And no, Bubnovich can't make up that point so the 39-year-old goes out with a bronze medal and a quota place (after starting off badly and falling from his third place at the end of qualifying), to leave the 18-year-olds fight it out for gold, with 0.8 points in it...

Louginets fluffed that shot, there's now a 1.4 lead to overcome, that's not likely at this level.

And Louginets fluffed the last shot too so he gets Silver and a quota place for Russia, while Yang (who just won the Youth Games) takes gold and the quota place for China.

Still don't think this finals format is a good one, I have to say. It's very good at focussing pressure on individuals by dropping people out, but it doesn't seem to be able to ratchet up the pressure any better than the old format and it's having to resort to letting the crowd yell in the middle of the shooting to do it. I mean, that's cheating, if you'd let the crowd yell in the old format like that, you'd have just as much pressure if not more (as the London Games showed repeatedly).

Some nice photos of that finals hall from twitter...

321414.jpg

321415.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Jaysus Sparks, if you get this excited about shooting, what's your excitement level like when it comes to sex? :pac:

I have a two-year-old toddler. You'd be surprised how much that helps with that :P

(Besides, don't you enjoy your sport? :P :D )

YOG Champion Yang (CHN) wins the first Gold medal and Olympic Quota of Granada

20140908_AR60-winner_001.jpg

He was the favorite, and he did not delude the expectation of the shooting sport fans. Yang Haoran, 18, from the People's Republic of China, won the first Gold medal of the 51st ISSF World Championship in all Shooting events in Granada, Spain, claiming the world champion title at today's 10m Air Rifle Men final.

Next to the Gold medal, he pocketed one of the six Olympic Quota places – the entry ticket to Rio 2016 – up for grabs at today's final.

“This is my Golden cake!” Yang said. “Today, in China, we celebrate the mid-autumn fest. That's a traditional occasion for family reunions, and we use to share the so-called moon cakes. Well... I am not in China, I won't get a moon cake today. So I want to share this victory with my parents. This medal is a golden cake for them.”

Ranked second in the world, Yang Haoran, arrived here in Granada after a huge victory at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, in front of his supporters.

Here in Granada, he qualified for the the final match in the best way, by setting a new Junior World Record of 632.1 points.

After a slow start in the final, he climbed up the scoreboard eventually overtaking Nazar Louginets, 25, of the Russian Federation after the 12th shot. From there on, he took-off, nailing a series of exceptional shots that lifted him upon the highest step of the podium with 207.9 points and 1.9 points of advantage on his Russian opponents.

“The World Championship is a huge competition. The best shooters of the world are here. I felt the pressure of the match at the beginning of the final, but then I zeroed in and I was able to climb up on top.” Yang said.

“I am honored that I claimed the first Olympic quota for my country.” He commented about winning a Quota place for Rio 2016.

Today's Bronze medal went to Vitali Bubnovic, 39, from Belarus, a three-time Olympian (2004, 2008, 2012), who confirmed to be one of the best rifle shooters of the world by finishing upon today's podium with 184.9 points.

The top-6 athletes out of the 8 finalists were awarded an Olympic Quota place. Following Yang, Louginets and Bubnovic, three quotas went to Russia's Sergey Kruglov, 29 (fourth with 163.7 points), to the 2006 Junior World Championship bronze medallist Cao Yifei, 26, from the People's Republic of China (fifth with 143.8 points) and to France's 25-year old Jeremy Monnier (sixth with 121.7 points).

The next medals will be assigned tomorrow, at the 50m Pistol Men Junior final taking place at 12.00.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Still don't think this finals format is a good one, I have to say. It's very good at focussing pressure on individuals by dropping people out, but it doesn't seem to be able to ratchet up the pressure any better than the old format and it's having to resort to letting the crowd yell in the middle of the shooting to do it. I mean, that's cheating, if you'd let the crowd yell in the old format like that, you'd have just as much pressure if not more (as the London Games showed repeatedly).

I don't think there's a massive difference for the audience (though I still think it's better for them) but shooting the new format is way more interesting than the old one.

I had training this afternoon and I have another training session tomorrow afternoon. My first match will be on Wednesday (I'm on relay 3 at 1210).

I didn't make it over to see the lads shooting trap today, but they shot the first 50 birds today:

Trap Men:
    Place|Shooter|1|2
    34|Colin Tanner|25|24
    41|Derek Burnett|23|25
    78|Philip Murphy|24|23

Trap Men Junior:
    Place|Shooter|1|2
    17|Ian O'Sullivan|23|24

IRLConor wrote: »
    shooting the new format is way more interesting than the old one

To which I have two responses:
    1. I don't want interesting from my adrenal glands, I want interesting from the accuracy level :D I like to know if I look at the final scores that the scores from today and the scores from last year are directly comparable; with the current system, it's far harder to do that than with the old system;
    2. Interesting doesn't mean that the best shooter wins. This thing of dropping the lead you build up in qualifications and starting from zero is about as braindead an idea as the crap they're getting with the stiffness gauge. Hell, I could probably ignore the first point if it wasn't for that...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't want interesting from my adrenal glands, I want interesting from the accuracy level :D I like to know if I look at the final scores that the scores from today and the scores from last year are directly comparable; with the current system, it's far harder to do that than with the old system;

The finals aren't that much more stressful as a shooter. The fact that it's twice the number of shots has more effect on the stress levels than the knockout format.

Besides, from a physiological point of view, the difference due to stress isn't as big as it appears. Try wearing a heart rate monitor during a match and subsequent final and you'll see. :)

I don't understand your comment about the comparability of finals from year to year. (Also, given the number of outdoor finals ranges it's a foolish thing to do for the 50m disciplines.)
    Interesting doesn't mean that the best shooter wins. This thing of dropping the lead you build up in qualifications and starting from zero is about as braindead an idea as the crap they're getting with the stiffness gauge. Hell, I could probably ignore the first point if it wasn't for that...

The best shooter does win. It's a 20 shot match that only the best 8 from the qualification round get to shoot. You have to change your point of view from "the final is an add-on to the match" to "the final is the match".

In general, the reset to zero doesn't matter. Either you're much better than your competitors and hence will beat them anyway or you're about the same as your competitors and hence a lead would be so small that it wouldn't help.

Advertisement