Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

royster999 wrote: »
    Too honest. Not like Kerry.
    BJ Keane stole about 10 yards for the free they got for phantom foul on Donaghy!

I think the ref might have brought that one in actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How many of the first team would be discarded ?
    Most of the team is fine.

Fine as in good enough to get to another semi? Probably. But to go all the way against what are likely to be fresh and massively formidable Dublin and Kerry teams next year? I don't know enough about the club scene to talk about likely alternatives in specific positions, it's more the principle of it. Does a team that has fallen just short so many times and that almost certainly peaked last year ever land the elusive All-Ireland in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Interested in the general opinion on this? Do we really think 'one more heave' with essentially the same team is going to do it? I'd be inclined to think the new guy needs to go back to the drawing board...

The base/core is still pretty formidable but unfortunately this year the back line has struggled badly from the standard set since 2011. Forwards for all the ridicule they have been given had a good year, midfield outdone perhaps in two games but still big strength in comparison to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Fine as in good enough to get to another semi? Probably. But to go all the way against what are likely to be fresh and massively formidable Dublin and Kerry teams next year? I don't know enough about the club scene to talk about likely alternatives in specific positions, it's more the principle of it. Does a team that has fallen just short so many times and that almost certainly peaked last year ever land the elusive All-Ireland in the end?

Mayo are different to other leading counties in that they dont seem to suddenly unearth a top player out of seemingly nowhere. All the other leading Counties even Donegal can freshen up their squads with at least 1 top layer every year, Kerry seem to have a conveyor belt of class players. Mayo must nurture and blood and bring thru the league then a championship season on the bench etc. Maybe the money that was spent on McHale park would have been better spent on grassroot coaching and development. Mayo, as long as I remember and thats a while, have struggled for scoring forwards. Its not magic or voodo, Mayo have as much talent as Kerry just that Kerry have a better system of developing it. This present bunch of players is the best I have seen representing the county better than the mid 80s team the 89 AI runners up better than the 96/97 team and better than the team of the mid noughties but they still seem to work much harder than opponents for scores. On Saurday there were long periods where Mayo dominated completely without scoring then Kerry would pop one over(albeit often with refereeing assistance)that is soul destroying. Tactics can bring you a long way but forwards such as ODonoghue win matches. Taking to my 72 year old uncle yesterday he told me how he remembers Bernard and Alan Brogans father leaving Foxford by train to find work and a new life in Dublin. The question raised was would the Brogan brothers have become the players they are if they came tru the Mayo football system?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Too honest. Not like Kerry.
    BJ Keane stole about 10 yards for the free they got for phantom foul on Donaghy!

Same for the sideline ball in the lead up to the first penalty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

No mention of the Mayo penalty, Cillian fouled happening outside the square?
    Ye can make excuses all ye like lads and can keep blaming the ref, but it wasn't his fault ye lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Ye can make excuses all ye like lads and can keep blaming the ref, but it wasn't his fault ye lost.

foul was inside and it should have been a black card. Refereeing was the worst I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Yeah the Kerry man should have received his 2nd yellow or black for that foul.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    foul was inside and it should have been a black card. Refereeing was the worst I have ever seen.

Ye had a 7 point lead, and failure to win a single ball that was kicked in to Donaghy was the reason ye lost. The ref made a few bad calls, and the black card isn't a huge thing anyways as you can replace a player. I agree that the referee made a couple of poor decisions, he gave Kerry a couple of frees that weren't close to being frees, but ye lost the midfield battle, Aidan O'Shea over-carried the ball around 50 times and yer full back was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Mayo are different to other leading counties in that they dont seem to suddenly unearth a top player out of seemingly nowhere. All the other leading Counties even Donegal can freshen up their squads with at least 1 top layer every year, Kerry seem to have a conveyor belt of class players.

To be fair this is a connacht problem more than a mayo one. Mayo are a hell of a lot better at bringing players through than we are. This mayo minor team from 2007 has 5 players that would play in senior all Ireland finals while the guy who scored 1-5 for us that day can barely get a start for his club these days http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?itemID=1059&menu=d1059

Galway has had 4 winning under 21 teams over the past decade and yet barely won a match outside connacht.

• Advertisement

Well, I hope to fekk Donegal beat the ****e out of them in the final! (as a Limerick man).
    I was hoping Mayo would win as they have been in hard luck the last couple of years. I just hope they haven't let their one huge chance slip by (2013). Let's hope for an improved Mayo side next year, because ye are not far off at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Ye had a 7 point lead, and failure to win a single ball that was kicked in to Donaghy was the reason ye lost. The ref made a few bad calls, and the black card isn't a huge thing anyways as you can replace a player. I agree that the referee made a couple of poor decisions, he gave Kerry a couple of frees that weren't close to being frees, but ye lost the midfield battle, Aidan O'Shea over-carried the ball around 50 times and yer full back was horrendous.

In this case it was a huge thing as enright was on a yellow card already so a black would turn into a red card and Kerry would have been down to 14 men

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lissavane wrote: »
    Either would be just more of the same, regardless of their personal qualities. They've grown up with the mindset of losers.

Now that Mayo seem to have perfected their physical and techinical skills, they need a manager that has the mindset of a winner and can instill that in the team.

Mayo need a Kerry manager!

No we need a Northern manager.
    Oh no scrub that Kerry managers now seem to display the same nuances for winning at all costs. :rolleyes:
    I know its a bit raw in here and I would agree that the two frees Donaghy got in ET were not frees, the first penalty was debateable and you have to allow that the ref saw it from an angle. the second one was a penalty.
    Refereeing is an issue throughout the GAA, the fella refereeing the hurling final next Sunday should not be let near a juvenile game let alone the showpiece final.
    Reilly IMO had a good game up until ET, everyone tired and it got scrappy.

Obviously you didn't notice the fact that reilly allowed Enright remain on pitch in the 1st half, despite already being on a yellow and then pulling O'Connor down rugby tackle style or the fact he took out O'Shea after he passed the ball to O'Connor.
    Archer3083 wrote: »
    Were you just as disappointed with Cormac Reilly's performance in the Mayo vs Cork game?

Actually being honest I think cork were secrewed by him as well.
    He shoudl have given a free that should have resulted in a point and he could have black carded a Mayo player.

Likewise yesterday he could have black carded a Mayo player for a foot trip.
    Of course this was after he could have red carded the same Kerry player at least twice.

Yes there was a major tactical failure in not dealing with Donaghy.
    And that highlighted Horans weakness as a manager.
    No arguments there.

You are being a bit economical with the truth there about the black card I am afraid.

AFAIK the black card on top of the yellow card already would actually mean that Enright got a red and have been sent off.

Pic%203.jpg

Enright in fact could have been done again for taking out O'Shea after he offloaded the ball to O'Connor for the second goal.
    Instead a couple of minutes later he was subbed rather than risk a third major foul that might finally push reilly to actually do something.

KMFCross wrote: »
    In this case it was a huge thing as enright was on a yellow card already so a black would turn into a red card and Kerry would have been down to 14 men

It wasn't a red card, would have been an extremely harsh call. If it were outside the box, then maybe. But ye got a penalty and scored it. Ye can keep blaming the ref all ye like but the Mayo performance at the back and in midfield was ****e at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

It wasn't a red card, would have been an extremely harsh call. If it were outside the box, then maybe. But ye got a penalty and scored it. Ye can keep blaming the ref all ye like but the Mayo performance at the back and in midfield was ****e at the end of the day.

If the way Enright hauled down o' Connor is not a black card then i don't know what a black card is.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

On the club scene this year, how have Kilcoyne of Knockmore and Regan of Ballina played?

Those are two who could potentially make a difference to the forwards, if on form.

On the club scene this year, how have Kilcoyne of Knockmore and Regan of Ballina played?

Those are two who could potentially make a difference to the forwards, if on form.

Kilcoyne had a serious enough injury there last year.

Regan is one that will come into contention with a new manager as he apparently had a falling out with Horan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Interested in the general opinion on this? Do we really think 'one more heave' with essentially the same team is going to do it? I'd be inclined to think the new guy needs to go back to the drawing board...

The mark of a good manger anywhere in any business or sport is never to go back to the drawing board, but just tweak a few things.
    Any what needs tweaking in mayos case is tactics and switches need to be implemented sooner rather than later in the game.

eg midfield getting cleaned out, well then switch to short kickouts and hit the wings, like what dublin did in the final last year.
    Get players to offload the ball quicker to a runner, do not carry into tackles. Too many balls were needlessly lost in the half forward lines by players running into tackles thinking they could burst thru.
    The backline has being an area of concern for the past year....leaking goals at key times. I said it before and Ill say it again, something needs to be done to address this, new blood or new system or else mayo can keep forgetting about a celtic cross.

The team is there and they can win one within the next few years, it just needs tweaking a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I am completely neutral in this and enjoyed the games immensely. However the Mayo fans' reaction to their defeat is embarrassing and lacking any class. The ref was poor, but he was poor to both sides. The fact is that Kerry were the better team over both games and they won. Mayo had large leads in both games and couldn't hold it together. It's tough, but that's sport. It's extremely difficult to win an All-Ireland, but ye'll get we're chance again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am completely neutral in this and enjoyed the games immensely. However the Mayo fans' reaction to their defeat is embarrassing and lacking any class. The ref was poor, but he was poor to both sides. The fact is that Kerry were the better team over both games and they won. Mayo had large leads in both games and couldn't hold it together. It's tough, but that's sport. It's extremely difficult to win an All-Ireland, but ye'll get we're chance again.

Colm O'Rourke isn't a Mayo man, read his piece in the paper or listen to his interviews. Listen to the sports shows also, Tomás O'Shea isn't a Mayo man, yet listen to what he said about the game.
    Michael Lyster, yes you guessed it, isn't a Mayo man.

Will I go on or do you want to go on embarrassing yourself?

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Colm O'Rourke isn't a Mayo man, read his piece in the paper or listen to his interviews. Listen to the sports shows also, Tomás O'Shea isn't a Mayo man, yet listen to what he said about the game.
    Michael Lyster, yes you guessed it, isn't a Mayo man.

Will I go on or do you want to go on embarrassing yourself?

Our last few Championship defeats, nobody blamed the referee. Have to go back to Meath in 2009 for the last time we felt hard done by decisions that cost us a Championship game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Personally thought Parsons was outstanding when he came on and caught plenty of ball, Seamus O'Shea played ok and like the first day Kerry couldn't lay a hand on him when in full flight, but he needs to know when to release the ball, Aidan O'Shea was outstanding for most of the game.

So not sure what you are talking about to be honest. Moran for Kerry was good, but Maher was annonymous for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The regular posters here have been fine, but the ones with 1 or 2 posts in the Mayo forum, and are suddenly coming out of the woodwork are hard to take IMO.

Posters have accused Kerry of everything under the sun: cheating, diving, bribary etc.
    The Referee gave Kerry anything from 2 points to 8 points.
    Mayo would have won "comfortably" if there wasn't a "biased" referee.
    Kerry targetted Mayo stars and took them out of the game.

The Deputy Editor of one of the biggest selling papers in Mayo called the Kerry team Scumbags!

I've seen 3 posters here congratulate Kerry. The rest fully believe that Mayo were the better team and lost out on a final place because Kerry/the Referee cheated them out of it.

That's sad, but I or anyone else am not going to be able to change their opinion.

For the record, If Hennelly's free had gone over, I would have been raging with the Referee. If you look at decisions given on both sides Kerry were as hard done by in normal time as Mayo. The Mayo fans behind me fully agreed. Extra time was different. Kerry started getting frees that they weren't getting earlier. The BJK one was soft, but there was a tug on his jersey. The only one I would 100% say wasn't a free was Crowley, where he charged. Should have been a free out or play on. Enright should have been sent off and that would have changed the game completely, but remember Kerry would have only been 1 (or 2) points down at that stage. The whole game would change, and you cannot guarentee that the game would have followed the same pattern. Mayo fought back last week with a man less, so there is every chance that Kerry could have done the same. In fact looking at the passion and hunger shown in Extra Time especially and in the fight back from 7 down, I'd guarentee that Kerry would have stayed in the game.

I've said it already, I have massive respect for Mayo football. I have gone to a lot of Mayo games, and I think you have a fantastic team. Horan was brilliant, but brought the team as far as ye could go. The next man in will be coming into a top 4 team, with serious passion and hunger. I'd just wish that some of the ridiculous statements from some of the fans would be reeled in a bit.

@DDC1990, Most Mayo supporters have no problem with losing the game yesterday and most Mayo supporters are sportsmen and women to the core, you have to acknowledge that. We stayed and applauded Donegal and Dublin when they won - Would the reverse have happened I wonder? When we are beaten fairly we accept it. For example, no-one had any problem with the ref the first day.

And its actually non Mayo people who are shouting loudest about the ref having a bad day yesterday. Most Mayo supporters are fine with it, accept that there's only so much you can do.

For the record, I don't think Kerry were better than Mayo. Some people are disappointed with some decisions of course, but they also recognise Mayo team have faults too. Mayo should have won and should have been out of sight, as at stages they were far superior to Kerry and allowed what most people recognise is an average Kerry team back into it. The performance of the ref was just one of a number of things that cost Mayo the game. Other things need to be looked at in Mayo, but that's for another day.

Well done Kerry and well done James Horan and the boys for restoring pride and respect in the Mayo jersey. No-one can ever accuse Mayo again of not having bottle or talented footballers or of not turning up on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

realweirdo wrote: »
    For example, no-one had any problem with the ref the first day.

We did, you just probably didn't hear us crying about it all week.

keane2097 wrote: »
    We did, you just probably didn't hear us crying about it all week.

Lol...two words..."Lee Keegan"

You need to accept the ref had a poor game Saturday and then we all can move on.

@DDC1990, Most Mayo supporters have no problem with losing the game yesterday and most Mayo supporters are sportsmen and women to the core, you have to acknowledge that. We stayed and applauded Donegal and Dublin when they won - Would the reverse have happened I wonder? When we are beaten fairly we accept it. For example, no-one had any problem with the ref the first day.

And its actually non Mayo people who are shouting loudest about the ref having a bad day yesterday. Most Mayo supporters are fine with it, accept that there's only so much you can do.

For the record, I don't think Kerry were better than Mayo. Some people are disappointed with some decisions of course, but they also recognise Mayo team have faults too. Mayo should have won and should have been out of sight, as at stages they were far superior to Kerry and allowed what most people recognise is an average Kerry team back into it. The performance of the ref was just one of a number of things that cost Mayo the game. Other things need to be looked at in Mayo, but that's for another day.

Well done Kerry and well done James Horan and the boys for restoring pride and respect in the Mayo jersey. No-one can ever accuse Mayo again of not having bottle or talented footballers or of not turning up on the big day.
    I take your point that Mayo are passionate supporters, and the vast majority know what they are on about. Of course ye are disappointed with not winning the game, but some posters are going so far out of their way to make Kerry sound like the Anti-Christ of football its unbelievable.

We'll agree to disagree on the better team issue, we're both loyal to our own team and that's fine. For me Kerry were the better team the whole game outside of the 3 minutes of madness, that saw 2-1 go in and the first 5/6 minutes of Extra Time. I thought we dominated the middle, controlled Mayo's scoring threat really well. Our forwards had a nightmare early on but composed themselves, when they needed to. That's just my opinion, and I have no problem with you disagreeing with that.

As for other fans being more vocal about the referee. 1) Most of these fans weren't at the match, and therefor miss a lot of what happens. A good number of free's given on Saturday were after referee played advantage. For viewers on TV, especially when you have the likes of Tommy Carr, they may think that a free has been given for one thing, but in fact it might have been for a tackle 5 seconds earlier, with no advantage coming. That's all very clear when highlighted by a decent commentator, but when you have Carr (who is no fan of Kerry I might add) details get muddled. A few of Donaghy's free's were as a result of Cafferkey holding him before the ball came in.
    2) A lot of other counties don't like Kerry. Simple as. Their view of the game is going to be as one-sided at times as someone from the competing counties.

On your last point, I am in total agreement. I have been saying it for years, its rubbish that Mayo are bottlers. They have been unlucky, and come up against better teams then them, but to say that they mentally cannot make that final step is bullshít. I was brimming with pride at full time, for the commitment, passion and hunger shown by both sides. You have a fantastically talented side, who need just a little bit more up front, and Ger Cafferkey's confidence to return and you will have an All Ireland in no time.

Lol...two words..."Lee Keegan"

You need to accept the ref had a poor game Saturday and then we all can move on.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this, just that we don't think it cost Mayo the game. Both sides suffered.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone disagrees with this, just that we don't think it cost Mayo the game. Both sides suffered.

I am trying to look at it from a neutral's point of view and to be honest his performance was shocking and probably ruined what could have been one of the all time epics. There is no real hard feelings from my side or most Mayo supporters. This Mayo team or Horan owe us nothing. To think where he brought us from and the many great days we had in the meantime and successes. We didn't win the big one, but we performed better than 30 or so other counties in recent years so nothing too much to be ashamed of. As most people have identified, we are missing a few key elements to get over the finishing line and we should be confident that any new manager will bring these elements. Looking forward to 2015 already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

DDC1990 wrote: »

I can't disagree although we were directly affected by some blatant handy frees for kerry in et. But on the face of it Mayo getting away with two players hopping the ball consecutively is also bad refereeing. Kevin MCstay couldn't have analysed it much better. Refereeing along with the dated use of umpires is a huge problem in Gaa nowadays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement