Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own a house in Ireland and not paid NPPR?.. warning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Long Gone wrote: »
    Life is too short to argue with such rude, foul mouthed ignorance so you are now on "IGNORE". Your views mean precisely nothing to me and your ignorant post above says so much more about you than it does about me....:)

I have not edited any of my posts (apart from making additions to them before any further posts were received - The timeline can be checked and will prove what I am saying. I know nothing ? - Yeah right Normal approach from someone who thinks (in their own mind) that they know everything and have no respect for the views of others.:rolleyes:

I did make a mistake and claimed that €800 is the max possible arrears (before the late payment penalty) for NPPR - I should have said 1000 Euros i.e. 200 Euros for each year 2009 to 2013 inclusive. Big deal. :P

You have completely failed to counter or even address the many reasons I have given as to why the NPPR was an unfair, unjust tax (even the government are showing de facto acceptance of this fact as the tax has been abolished) which nobody should feel obliged to facilitate the collection of, or to pay.:eek:

I will not be paying it and (much to your displeasure no doubt...:rolleyes:) the crooks responsible for it haven't a hope in hell of ever proving that they could have claimed that their was a liability for this Cromwellian NPPR tax on my property. :cool:

Apology accepted. I win you lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It's a bit unfair considering if people could sell these properties without being in deep negative equity they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pips25

Hi guys If I dont pay the 4,220 Euro NPPT Tax by midnight tmr what would happen a few years down the road if I decide to sell the house. Never knew anything about that Tax until yesterday as I was not living in Irleland for a few years. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

pips25 wrote: »
    Hi guys If I dont pay the 4,220 Euro NPPT Tax by midnight tmr what would happen a few years down the road if I decide to sell the house. Never knew anything about that Tax until yesterday as I was not living in Irleland for a few years. Thanks

Are you renting the gaff out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The solicitor for the purchaser will insist on it being discharged before the sale can proceed, it becomes a lien on the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll be taken out of any future profit you make on the sale of the house.

Although it is understandable that some living abroad heard nothing about this tax, there are plenty who were in the "can pay won't pay" camp who were hearing the lefties telling them not to pay, and they didn't. Now coming back to bite them.

As unfair as you might think the tax was (the interest rates are criminal), they will get it off you.

Just getting use to this board, no i am not renting out the house my sister lives there. When you say they will get if off you if i sell the house down the road do you mean the 7,200 penalty or would it be more as time go;s by? thanks so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

sin_city wrote: »
    Don't have to worry about this but I would like to think that I would not pay it.

When are Irish people going to stop bending over and taking it up the ar.se from the government.

Aren't we the people that came up with boycotting FFS
    What should people do to stop the government from screwing us (including yourself)?
    Life is too short to argue with such rude, foul mouthed ignorance so you are now on "IGNORE".
    They... just provided information. :confused:
    You're the one who's being rude and ignorant. ":)"

Just getting use to this board, no i am not renting out the house my sister lives there. When you say they will get if off you if i sell the house down the road do you mean the 7,200 penalty or would it be more as time go;s by? thanks so much
    There is no indication of further penalties, so 'just' the €7,200. By contacting the Council before the deadline of midnight tomorrow, you freeze the penalties. An email explaining you were unaware of the charge, and would like to set up a payment plan will ensure your liability remains at €4,220 and buys you breathing space. Or you could play it like Long Gone and take your chances.

Once you contact the council they have your details. And the interest rate on the payment plan is pretty high plus if you pay it in full with a credit card you are charged 2. something p/c. It would want to make you rip your hair out. Thanks for responding to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think the best thing people can hope for is that no one will pay the penalties, you could pay the €800 tax but if everyone refused to pay the €3500 penalties then the government might reconsider even though Paul McSweeny say they will definitely have to pay it... But they already have conceded that if you contact your council by tonight they will freeze it at €4220 so it won't go to €7K on Monday.

The alternative for not paying is that if you try to sell the house in the next 12 years you won't get a discharge certificate until it's settled. There's two elements here the €800 tax that goes to revenue and the €3000+ penalties that the council are rubbing their hands waiting to grab.

The problem is that so many people have already ponied up the €4220 that unless the government does a complete backflip they won't get a sniff of it back.

I can assure you if the government get away with this it won't be the last time they use this stand over tactics, bunch of crooks

I agree with you totally .. would it be 800 since 2009 to now? And plus if I sell the house down the road I have not lived in the country, so i was not aware of this tax that it should benefit me that i have paid the tax? thanksss soo much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You've blown none of my arguments out of the water. You incorrectly claimed that €800 is the max that can be charged for NPPR. I proved you wrong with the figures of €4,220 & €7,230 from Monday.

You incorrectly claimed that non resident landlords are not liable to Irish income tax on rental income here. I can guarantee this is wrong and have posted a link to support my argument.

I wasn't asking you to share a copy of your income tax return. I was asking you to post a link to support your argument that non residents are not liable to Irish income tax on rental profits earned here.

Nearly all your posts here have been edited AFTER you have been proven wrong which I presume is your attempt at hiding the fact that you know f*** all.
    I'm sure your piont can be made without direct attacks on the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kd123

Own a house in Ireland working in london but over and back to Ireland all the time and consider my house in Ireland my principal residence. Pay LPT for my house but only heard about this NPPR yesterday. Am I liable to pay Nppr

Hi Kd, if you own a house in London and in Ireland then you would be liable to pay,,, oh to pay or not to pay is the big question as a lot of people didnt know about this tax going back to 2009

Don't own in london just renting. Is it up to local council to chase the money or what happens in the short term if it isn't paid. Any unpaid will go on record for 12 years I know it comes off profit but say I don't sell for 15 years....

You are fine if you are just renting in London. The council are going after people that own 2 property's. I am trying to figure this out myself regarding how the council chase after people. If you read the rest of the post's on this site you will see that someone commented that the council are just sitting there rubbing their hands waiting for all of this late fee money to come rolling in., never a true word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You are fine if you are just renting in London. The council are going after people that own 2 property's. I am trying to figure this out myself regarding how the council chase after people. If you read the rest of the post's on this site you will see that someone commented that the council are just sitting there rubbing their hands waiting for all of this late fee money to come rolling in., never a true word.

Oficially - even those who rent elsewhere and only own the one house in Ireland are liable. But - the council(s) may have no reason to think the Irish house was not the PPR. In my opinion - if you rent where you work (London etc) and only own the one house in Ireland and it is used by only you - than that is your Irish PPR.
    If you have any historical proof such as bills, electoral reg, car tax, property tax - you should be OK. If you believe it is your PPR - do nothing.

Thanks that's what I was thinking. All bills etc are still in my name in the irish house as I do consider it my principal residence. So what is the story with those who haven't paid, are the councils going to start chasing. Therefore if a person doesn't hear anything then happy days.... Right or wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

kd123 wrote: »
    Thanks that's what I was thinking. All bills etc are still in my name in the irish house as I do consider it my principal residence. So what is the story with those who haven't paid, are the councils going to start chasing. Therefore if a person doesn't hear anything then happy days.... Right or wrong??

If you have had a letter from he council it just means they suspect you may have had an empty property in Ireland. They seem to be getting data from Revenue where people have paid the LPT but given dfferent addresses when paying. Those letters are not bills or demands - just for "information" . If you haven't heard anything then it is a good probability that you never will. If you do get a letter - I think you should be able to proove you were treating it as your main Irish residence whilst temporarily working abroad.

• Advertisement

wow i went online tonight to pay the 800 euro for the past few years and they dont give u the option. Nor do they give u the option to set up a account if u dont have a irish citizin pps number. So i ended up using my sisters pps number and still could not pay the 800 euro. hope my sis dont get in trouble. would wreck ur mind

You are fine if you are just renting in London. The council are going after people that own 2 property's.

I don't think that's true, they are also going after people who also own just one property and rent it out. Examples of people who own one property but are living (renting) in other counties, countries and continents. I already posted a link to Joe Duffy earlier in the thread but here they are here again.

https://vodhls.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2014/0828/20140828_rteradio1-liveline-liveline_cl10316455_10318149_261_.m3u8

https://vodhls.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2014/0826/20140826_rteradio1-liveline-liveline_cl10315727_10317701_261_.m3u8

The 2+ properties owners that you think they are going after is a red herring, same as 'Holiday Home' tax.

It's based on having a property that is not your main residence.

Further to my post above

If you refer to post #8
    In summary, you paid the NPPR if:

You owned more than one home
    You owned only one home and it was not your principal private residence (for example, your main residence was in rented accommodation)
    You lived abroad and owned residential property in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I remember reading how some m/billionaire avoided stamp duty because the house/(read mansion) did not have a kitchen when purchased. No kitchen, therefore not a house. There was a room that had previously been a kitchen, but everything had been ripped out before the contract was signed.

This strategy may have been appealed; not sure about the final verdict.

Back in the really bad old days, no roof meant no rates.

I would not be surprised at all to learn that this penal charge has been appealed and overturned at some future date.

If not, prepare to cough up to €7K+ at some future date or have it taken from the proceeds of sale. If they keep applying these penal charges to unpaid amounts going forward though, there will be sfa left.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

What should people do to stop the government from screwing us (including yourself)?

I guess a point comes where people won't take it anymore and Ireland is not there yet.

This is the type of stuff that should get people involved in politics or protesting.

Is this constitutional? Fcuk the diaspora right?

I suppose it is fair…Bankers rob the country without any of them going to jail ….The mafia would be proud of this move.

The government are merely collecting payment on the bankers debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

"PPS Number" ? - Never had one of those. I had enough sense to get on a plane out of Ireland as soon as I left university.

Cool. So basically you took advantage of tax payers money to get an education and then bailed as soon as it was your turn to put back in? Noble.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Cool. So basically you took advantage of tax payers money to get an education and then bailed as soon as it was your turn to put back in? Noble.

You have more respect for people finishing a degree and going on the dole because they can't get work and don't want to leave home to search for it?

What world are you living in?

None of us had signed any contract regarding free college and none of us signed any contract regarding the bailout of the banks.....Whose to say if the government didn't make education free that there would be money better spent.

My brother just completed a 4 year degree in law and now is starting work as an assistant manager in Lidl.

All we know is that people are getting taxed big time back home and for what?

You owe Ireland nothing Long Gone. You should be commended for not burdening the taxpayers more by going on the dole for the mafia that are ripping off everyone back home to p!ss money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kd123 wrote: »

As long as you "lived" there every now and then and you never rented it out, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

sin_city wrote: »
    You have more respect for people finishing a degree and going on the dole because they can't get work and don't want to leave home to search for it?

What world are you living in?

None of us had signed any contract regarding free college and none of us signed any contract regarding the bailout of the banks.....Whose to say if the government didn't make education free that there would be money better spent.

My brother just completed a 4 year degree in law and now is starting work as an assistant manager in Lidl.

All we know is that people are getting taxed big time back home and for what?

You owe Ireland nothing Long Gone. You should be commended for not burdening the taxpayers more by going on the dole for the mafia that are ripping off everyone back home to p!ss money away.

Can you translate that into English please?

• Advertisement

wow i went online tonight to pay the 800 euro for the past few years and they dont give u the option. Nor do they give u the option to set up a account if u dont have a irish citizin pps number. So i ended up using my sisters pps number and still could not pay the 800 euro. hope my sis dont get in trouble. would wreck ur mind

As long as you took screenshots, you can argue that you made an attempt to pay before the deadline, and the penalties should be frozen, but as per my previous post, you DO have a PPSN, it was your unique identifer for Child Benefit, national school, vaccines, secondary school, the leaving cert, your college place, your degree, your passport. It would be impossible not to have one.

Advertisement