Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance 19 y/o 320d

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Not to hijack the thread ,my ins is up in a couple of weeks. It was 340€ last year, no accidents, 2 points and full licence 25 years+ and no accidents since.....ever
    The points were there last year also. This year€484.68:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rossio12

Not to hijack the thread ,my ins is up in a couple of weeks. It was 340€ last year, no accidents, 2 points and full licence 25 years+ and no accidents since.....ever

Not an expert on insurance as you can see but I think you need to ring up and threaten to change company and they should give a better offer if not look elsewhere

Rossio12 wrote: »
    Not an expert on insurance as you can see but I think you need to ring up and threaten to change company and they should give a better offer if not look elsewhere

I did "that's the price take it or leave it"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

OP seriously, you will need to start off in a heap of ****e and build up your NCB.
    Your age, sex and the car you've chosen and to top it all off having a provisional will just let the insurance man ask you to lube your ass up.
    Buy a banger/pass your test.
    One thing is buying the car, then you need to tax it as well and servicing costs.
    Check out the bangernomics thread, there are a tonne of cheap cars that would suit you.
    My first car was a 93 pinkish Corolla. Saved a **** load on insurance costs and it got my foot in the door with the NCB.

Have a look at 1.2 Puntos, grand yokes to tip around in.
    Don't go near a Bora, especially the 1.4 - for some reason insurance companies don't like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its a loyalty tax that insurers love to add. Ring around every insurer and broker that you can find and Id be amazed if you dont get a better price. You gain nothing from loyalty in insurance; they price renewals like this in the hope that people just grumble and pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

unkel wrote: »
    You've always wanted to own a 4 cylinder diesel BMW? :)

Drive a 1l car for a few years, build up your no claims bonus and set your goal higher. A straight six petrol BMW is a massive step up from that diesel! And with 4 or 5 years of NCB you can probably get a reasonable insurance quote on it too.

Er, it's his first car......talking about 6 cylinder engines to someone who is trying to get insurance doesn't make sense. Even in 5 years time his insurance would be massive, if he'd even get insured.

I believe it was a tongue in cheek comment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

bear1 wrote: »
    I believe it was a tongue in cheek comment :p

Lol, ah.....I see........silly me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Wailin wrote: »
    Er, it's his first car......talking about 6 cylinder engines to someone who is trying to get insurance doesn't make sense. Even in 5 years time his insurance would be massive, if he'd even get insured.

An e39 525i is cheaper for me to insure than my 156 v6, insurance for the 156 is 900 a year, for the 525 is 850. 22 4 years ncb. Just because it's 6 cylinders doesn't mean insurance will run a mile if your under 25. Demonstrating that you can drive safely/are lucky makes them willing to give you a low enough quote
    The only think I find difficult to get quotes on are those over 20 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

I bet the OP pretty much hates you right about now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

An e39 525i is cheaper for me to insure than my 156 v6, insurance for the 156 is 900 a year, for the 525 is 850. 22 4 years ncb. Just because it's 6 cylinders doesn't mean insurance will run a mile if your under 25. Demonstrating that you can drive safely/are lucky makes them willing to give you a low enough quote
    The only think I find difficult to get quotes on are those over 20 years old.

+1 , I got insurance for 1000 notes on a V8 7 series at 22 , had 4 years ncb though, experience counts a lot more than age if the car isnt a high risk car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

+1 , I got insurance for 1000 notes on a V8 7 series at 22 , had 4 years ncb though, experience counts a lot more than age if the car isnt a high risk car.

When I was 22 I had 4 years NCB + 1 year's named driver experience. Insurance on my RX8 was €2500!! granted it was a Jap import.

dodzy wrote: »
    I bet the OP pretty much hates you right about now:D

There's plenty of me to hate:). Shower of kcnts ins. Companies. Liberty want €870....
    When I was 19/20 I had a 2.8 Granada insured for £200 fully comp.
    Best so far is €450:mad:

When I was 22 I had 4 years NCB + 1 year's named driver experience. Insurance on my RX8 was €2500!! granted it was a Jap import.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Did you pay that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

I bought a 2 year old 116i when I was 17 and insured it for a year under the mothers name for €1200..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did you pay that ?

I did. I was young, working in the construction industry (estimating) with money falling out of my arse. the car itself cost me 23,500. I'm on my 2nd car since that and neither have cost me as much to buy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

At age 19 with 'L' plates you should barely be allowed to look at anything like a 320 let alone be allowed to drive it. There should be power to weight ratio limits on learner drivers in the first place...

Was gonna go on a proper rant here, but now I can't be arsed any more. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

My Family has land been driving ***t box's around the last 4 years so I wouldn't worry about handling a car of that horsepower

I did that and I still bit a ditch soon after getting on the road.
    That same cockyness was the problem.
    If you think 4 years in a field has you aced up you'll learn the hard way.
    140bhp in the wet with no experience will be trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My first policy at 19 was €3300 on a 1.2 Punto. And I paid it. Bloody lunatic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Hi all,

Ive saved up for a year now and have enough money to get what I've always wanted.. A BMW 320d m sport only problem is I can't get insurance as I'm only 19 and only have provisional.

I've tried liberty axa chill etc no luck.

So my question is does anybody know an insurance firm that will insurance me no matter the cost I don't mind paying a ridiculous amount.

Cheers

Your gonna pay an extortionate price for a little 1.3 never mind a 320 d i was paying 2500 a year in my own name for a 1.3 lancer, get a few years under your belt get your full then think about gettin a 320d

If you insist on gettin the 320d you ll have to try get insured as a named driver or something i doubt anywhere will even insure you, try FBD tho

Take into account, Tax , Fuel and Maintenance of the car aswell you will be paying a retarded amount of money you ll basically be workin for a car lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Did you pay that ?

I paid 2200 for 1.1 Seicento (first year on provisional, and I was over 25):o

Next year it was 900 on 1.3 so it gradually goes down as soon as you don't hit "things";)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

simplybam wrote: »
    At age 19 with 'L' plates you should barely be allowed to look at anything like a 320 let alone be allowed to drive it. There should be power to weight ratio limits on learner drivers in the first place...

Was gonna go on a proper rant here, but now I can't be arsed any more. :p

Ye for god sakes he could rip a hole in time with the power of one of them, wont somebody PLEASE think of the children etc etc etc.

I was also gonna go on a proper rant here but meehhh

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭duckman!!

when i was 18 i paid €2500 for a 1.4 diesel 206!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

duckman!! wrote: »
    when i was 18 i paid €2500 for a 1.4 diesel 206!!!

You should have been paid that to drive the diesel 206

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Ford Focus

or

Toyota Corolla

I didn't know what a 320d was when i was 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

And just remember being the main driver on a car that your insured as a named driver on is called fronting and illegal.

Wouldn't think it's actually illegal unless it's stipulated in the statute books. You may well be in breach of the terms of your insurance policy, but that does not make it illegal. If you had an accident as a named driver and admitted to the insurance that you were the main driver of the car, the insurance company could not invalidate your policy. They would be within their rights to reduce cover to the minimum, ie. 3rd party only, but that still means you were legally covered to drive. If they had to pay out to a 3rd party the company could chase you to repay the cost, but again, that's a civil matter, nothing to do with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Duiske wrote: »
    Wouldn't think it's actually illegal unless it's stipulated in the statute books. You may well be in breach of the terms of your insurance policy, but that does not make it illegal. If you had an accident as a named driver and admitted to the insurance that you were the main driver of the car, the insurance company could not invalidate your policy. They would be within their rights to reduce cover to the minimum, ie. 3rd party only, but that still means you were legally covered to drive. If they had to pay out to a 3rd party the company could chase you to repay the cost, but again, that's a civil matter, nothing to do with the law.

It's fraud and is illegal under that legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Duiske wrote: »

Insurance fraud is illegal...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

YbFocus wrote: »
    I did that and I still bit a ditch soon after getting on the road.
    That same cockyness was the problem.
    If you think 4 years in a field has you aced up you'll learn the hard way.
    140bhp in the wet with no experience will be trouble.

Any car will be trouble if the drivers a moron, just so happens there plenty of dopes around ireland that think they are pro with there "diffin," lol

Advertisement