Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Aquagakka wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

A bit of a strange one here.

I travelled to Dublin last month to collect my daughter's passport. Although the full passport was approved and printed,

it was left behind in Balbriggan so they issued me a 1 year 'emergency' passport. It is my understanding that this passport

should be posted back in order for my daughter to receive her full one.

However last week her full one arrived in the post so now she has two passports!

My question is, which one is valid, or are both? We are considering travelling shortly so I don't want to her travelling

on two passports as I've heard this can be regarded as suspicious when travelling, and could cause snarl-ups when booking flights.

I don't want to send back the 1 year passport yet as this may be the only valid one.

Am I being overly cautious?

Any help would be appreciated.

You are supposed to return the 1 year passport to Customer Care in Molesworth Street, once you receive the full 10 year passport in the post. The staff in Molesworth Street should have said this to you when they issued the 1 year passport to you.

Technically they are both Issued and valid, which is why you are meant to return the 1 year passport once the 10 year passport arrives in the post (so that the staff in the PPO can cancel the 1 year passport).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Niallliam1

Need help on passports for trip to France with my 5 kids leaving this Friday 15th. Getting really nervous now and can't bear to disappoint them. Received and registered on the 28th July showing issue date of 11th Aug. 3 applications went in one packet both still at received and 2 went in separate bundle at "checking" since last Thursday. Need to know what to do to get these issued. I've sent emails with my itinerary with no response. What's the next best move?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

fxotoole wrote: »
    You are supposed to return the 1 year passport to Customer Care in Molesworth Street, once you receive the full 10 year passport in the post. The staff in Molesworth Street should have said this to you when they issued the 1 year passport to you.

Technically they are both Issued and valid, which is why you are meant to return the 1 year passport once the 10 year passport arrives in the post (so that the staff in the PPO can cancel the 1 year passport).

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Would anyone have a number for the office in balbriggan.

I can't get through to the standard Dublin number. Our applications where originally due to be done today but we are still only at the checking stage - been like that for a week now.

We are flying out later this week and i want ot pick them up as soon as they are ready.

Penalty wrote: »
    Would anyone have a number for the office in balbriggan.

I can't get through to the standard Dublin number. Our applications where originally due to be done today but we are still only at the checking stage - been like that for a week now.

We are flying out later this week and i want ot pick them up as soon as they are ready.

Balbriggan aren't a public office, you can't ring them. The number 6711633 deal with queries for all passport offices (Cork, Molesworth Street, Balbriggan, and London).

If you email your proof of travel to passportdublin @ dfa.ie, you will looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hi Folks

I sent my daughters passport by express on the 18/07/2014 and it was received into the office on 21/07/2014. Her application is still at this stage and hasn't progressed onto checked. If something were wrong with it would they notify you or leave it sitting there this length of time without sending it back? Or are applications simply taking this long?

I am panicked as we are flying 07.09.14, I need to get a etsa waiver for her for america, which I need her passport number for. More importantly I need to get my drivers licence reissued which can take 8 working days from date of application which I need my passport for. My passport was sent off with her application!

As others have said obviously phones and emails unanswered. thought I had sent it off in plenty of time, very frustrating! Although more frustrated with myself for sending my passport with it and not my husbands!

Thanks!

Digs wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I sent my daughters passport by express on the 18/07/2014 and it was received into the office on 21/07/2014. Her application is still at this stage and hasn't progressed onto checked. If something were wrong with it would they notify you or leave it sitting there this length of time without sending it back? Or are applications simply taking this long?

I am panicked as we are flying 07.09.14, I need to get a etsa waiver for her for america, which I need her passport number for. More importantly I need to get my drivers licence reissued which can take 8 working days from date of application which I need my passport for. My passport was sent off with her application!

As others have said obviously phones and emails unanswered. thought I had sent it off in plenty of time, very frustrating! Although more frustrated with myself for sending my passport with it and not my husbands!

Thanks!

Hi

If it's still saying it's received and has been registered, then it hasn't been looked at yet. It doesn't sound like there's something wrong with it. Assuming it's your daughter's first passport application, then it would be probably be looked at today or tomorrow.

With regard to the ESTA, you can do this up to 72 hours prior to your flight.

You aren't travelling for another few weeks, so I wouldn't be panicking just yet.

Hi

If it's still saying it's received and has been registered, then it hasn't been looked at yet. It doesn't sound like there's something wrong with it. Assuming it's your daughter's first passport application, then it would be probably be looked at today or tomorrow.

With regard to the ESTA, you can do this up to 72 hours prior to your flight.

You aren't travelling for another few weeks, so I wouldn't be panicking just yet.

Thanks for your reply, I know you're right!

It's just the fact they have my passport which I need to present to apply for a replacement drivers licence so I can rent a car. My own fault for not sending my husbands but you live and learn :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Got my passport last Thursday by collection from the Passport Office in Cork.

Sent away Passport Express on 11 July
    Received on 14 July with issue date of 25 July
    On 25 July there was a problem with it (photos not stamped by Garda) so was sent back and resent on 28 July
    Rang Passport office and managed to get it for Thursday 7 August
    Not sure about how long it took after being checked etc cos my second application was under a different app. number which I didn't have

Said I'd give a timeline to show waiting times at the minute, cheers to all at Passport Office in Cork for being sound when enquiring and also for getting it to me on time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,601 ✭✭✭✭briany

Terrible news - I just got my passport application rejected. I don't know why yet as it's coming back in the post. Reasons why I'm guessing it was rejected are the Gard didn't stamp the two of my photos and my photo ID is quite old, but it's the only thing like that which I have. I'm due to travel 3 weeks on Thursday (September 4th) and freaking out a little bit. I can't really afford to miss this trip though, but I don't know what my options are. In the case of an invalid/missing photo ID, don't the issue some form to be signed by a notary?

I sent the application off in the middle of last month and it took ages to even get to the checking stage. Longer even than you'd expect at this time of year. Panicked, I've already booked an appointment for the 22nd in the passport office in town but I may not even get that looked at if I can't produce some valid form of photo ID. If they send me back the other form that I would need to prove my identity, can I use that in the passport appointment service or is it only good to send back along with the resubmitted application?

I'll be ringing whoever I can tomorrow to find out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

mindybutt1 wrote: »
    Hi im travelling the 19th to the uk i stupidly taught I didn't need passports for me or my 4kids once I realised on the 5/8/14 I sent them passport express but it says my issue date is the 19th I've emailed them with proof travel details and am willing to pay extracollect in either cark or Dublin. .. but does anyone have a phone number that will be answered I'm currently on hold 49 mins I really just want to know will I have them on time im ringing cork btw

You don't need a passport if you're an Irish or UK citizen and are not travelling with Ryanair - all the other airlines accept IDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mindybutt1

You don't need a passport if you're an Irish or UK citizen and are not travelling with Ryanair - all the other airlines accept IDs.

We are travelling with Ryanair :-(

Hi im travelling the 19th to the uk i stupidly taught I didn't need passports for me or my 4kids once I realised on the 5/8/14 I sent them passport express but it says my issue date is the 19th I've emailed them with proof travel details and am willing to pay extracollect in either cark or Dublin. .. but does anyone have a phone number that will be answered I'm currently on hold 49 mins I really just want to know will I have them on time im ringing cork btw

Hi Mindybutt, I sent my daughters on the 18.07.2014, the issue date said 01.08.2014 and it only moved to the checking stage yesterday. My advice would be go into the passport office asap, someone should be able to help you!

A lovely lady from the office in balbriggan rang me today to say the garda stamp had gotten ink on her pictures, that they have a solution that removes it but it is taking half her face off! She gave me an address to send new pictures so I don't have to submit a new application but word of warning, it took 18 working days for the application to be checked and an error detected so allow for plenty of time before sending!!

We are travelling with Ryanair :-(

Just got mine sent back today. I'll need to resubmit the application plus all supporting docs with the return envelope provided (the fee carries over from the original application). Because I don't have any particularly up to date photo ID, the woman at the PPO said she'd send me out the certificate of identity, which needs to be signed by a person of standing testifying that they know me. Does anyone have a list of the types of professions they would be? She mentioned a GP but there should be more than that.

briany wrote: »
    Just got mine sent back today. I'll need to resubmit the application plus all supporting docs with the return envelope provided (the fee carries over from the original application). Because I don't have any particularly up to date photo ID, the woman at the PPO said she'd send me out the certificate of identity, which needs to be signed by a person of standing testifying that they know me. Does anyone have a list of the types of professions they would be? She mentioned a GP but there should be more than that.
    its such a joke if some one just answered the phone :-* :-* .. I tried to make an appointment in cork but you can't do that if you already have your application sent in I have sent them proof of travel three times now in the last week and they still have not even checked the applications

A notary, so a vice principal, lawyer, accountant, priest etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

its such a joke if some one just answered the phone :-* :-* .. I tried to make an appointment in cork but you can't do that if you already have your application sent in I have sent them proof of travel three times now in the last week and they still have not even checked the applications

They're a bit busy dealing with people who suddenly realise they need a passport and expect them to drop everything to deal with their issue...

I wasn't calling the main office, I was calling the person assigned to my application. The individual's number is on the letter you get back if there's an error with the original submission. I don't think they deal with just anyone, otherwise they'd be getting the head rung off them all day.

Assuming they were received by the Passport Office on 6th Aug (the day after you sent them off), they would be issued sometime between the 19th and the 26th. More than likely they'll be issued after the 19th, looking at the current state of play.

I'd say call in to the Passport office in Cork or Dublin and ask if anything can be done. I'm not entirely sure you'd get much sympathy though.

• Advertisement

Assuming they were received by the Passport Office on 6th Aug (the day after you sent them off), they would be issued sometime between the 19th and the 26th. More than likely they'll be issued after the 19th, looking at the current state of play.

I'd say call in to the Passport office in Cork or Dublin and ask if anything can be done. I'm not entirely sure you'd get much sympathy though.

I spoke to the nicest lady this morningin cork dfa office... who told me they are dealing with my application today I completely agree it is my own fault and stupidity that I didn't realise I needed a passport for the uk but we live and learn I suppose its just very frustrating for the staff more so than the customers that it can't be more streamlined I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to work in an environment where everyone wants it done asap and feek its there right to have it done so

They're a bit busy dealing with people who suddenly realise they need a passport and expect them to drop everything to deal with their issue...

I completely agree it is my own fault and stupidity for not having it sorted sooner but as I have ssud we live and learn

I completely agree it is my own fault and stupidity for not having it sorted sooner but as I have ssud we live and learn

Anyone know an expectation for mine? It was sent in on the 30th July and it was a first time app with Passport express. It still says registered but not checked. Freaking out because I'm travelling on the 26th of this month.

The return envelope I have, to send the application back, I presume I can just drop that off in the letter box like normal or do passport express things need to be dropped in at the counter?

Anyone know an expectation for mine? It was sent in on the 30th July and it was a first time app with Passport express. It still says registered but not checked. Freaking out because I'm travelling on the 26th of this month.

If you use the contact form on passport.ie it seems to be the most efficient way of getting in contact with them fingers crossed you will have it on time :-)

I would get in touch with them. My daughters first time application was received on 21.07.14 and only moved to the checking stage yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The return envelope I have, to send the application back, I presume I can just drop that off in the letter box like normal or do passport express things need to be dropped in at the counter?

You can but I personally wouldn't be putting any passport related information / documentation anywhere near the mail. 6 euro for the peace of mind that it'll get there?

• Advertisement

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    You can but I personally wouldn't be putting any passport related information / documentation anywhere near the mail. 6 euro for the peace of mind that it'll get there?

And do I enclose the documents before handing the lot over, letting the clerk handle that? I just don't wanna mess anything up here, but information is really scant. There's zero, that I can see, about passport returns on DFA. I'm maybe not looking hard enough, but if it's there it's not obvious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement