Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The largest ethnic cleansing in 60+ years in taking place today in Iraq

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Going on form it's reasonable to have suspicions of western involvement in the formation of ISIS, having an ally of Russia and Iran with mediteranean ports isn't exactly in the game plan.
    Even if this is pure speculation, some of the countries we buy oil off are funding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Islamic terrorists are rampaging through northern Iraq expelling, under threat of death, Christians who have been living there for nearly 2,000 years and Yazidis who have been there for perhaps 4,000 years!
    What can/should Ireland do about it?

Can somebody clarify - are these white Christians, or the other funny-looking kind you read about in the Messenger?

If it's the latter then I reckon we should just shrug, say it's awful, and ask "what can be done?", before conveniently forgetting all about it when the western news cycle moves on.

If it's the former then we should definitely complain to anybody who'll listen and remind them how awful it all is, and that it's a disgrace that not enough is being done, before conveniently forgetting all about it when the western news cycle moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

jank wrote: »
    In regards American intervention, well dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.

What nonsense is this? As bad and terrible as Iraq was under Hussein, it was at least somewhat stable and we never had any of this sort of utter chaos and sectional warfare. For years US-led sanctions against Iraq simply plunged the general population there into poverty while doing nothing to destabilise the ruling elite who continued to live in luxury. This was then followed by an invasion predicated on a pack of lies (WMD) and an obvious attempt at strengthening US geopolitical position in the area. Instead, the Americans ran out of steam, bailed out and left behind a sordid f*cking mess which is directly to blame for the rise of ISIS (and others) today.

The current scenario is a direct consequence of that invasion so forgive me if I'm not heaping praise on the Yanks for making a few token efforts at sorting out the mess they created.
    They intervened in Libya, got slated and blamed for the mess that resulted...

I think you'll find there was considerable Western intervention in Libya and now that Ghadaffi has gone the country has gone down the sh*tter. Good job all.
    Didn't intervene in Syria (Anti-war nutjobs were delighted), chemical weapons and 160,000 dead two years later, well blame America cause sure they have no oil... :rolleyes:

...And now you're contradicting yourself utterly because those who are now to the fore in fighting Assad are these nutjobs in ISIS. Are you suggesting the Americans and Co intervene again and create the conditions where they can take over completely? Despite the narrative we were initially spun of the noble "Free Syrian Army" we now see it's simply another front for these Islamist crackpots to push against. Ironically enough, it's the 'terrorists' in Hezbollah who are making the main moves to hold the line.
    Isn't it great to be able to sit in a comfy chair in Dun Laoghaire pontificating about the wrongs of the world and getting paid by the tax payer to do it.

Unlike yourself who's on the ground is it? You're pontificating just as much as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

We should probably get the opinion on what is best for his community from the Christian second in command in the old regime - Tariq Aziz. A Chaldean Christian. Amongst many Christians in the Baathist party who knew the alternative would be worse.

He's in jail however on trumped up charges. His power base is destroyed. By the US and allies. His cultural group exterminated. By the offshoot of the one time allies of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

7PMkU3.jpg

Time to take down the "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner...again.

Seeing as though Iraq is in a worse state than before the US and it's "allies" invaded. The very least the US should be doing is sorting out the mess they created.

There is very little that us Irish can do to stop ISIS. Apart from hoping they get wiped out sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

We should probably get the opinion on what is best for his community from the Christian second in command in the old regime - Tariq Aziz. A Chaldean Christian. Amongst many Christians in the Baathist party who knew the alternative would be worse.

He's in jail however on trumped up charges. His power base is destroyed. By the US and allies. His cultural group exterminated. By the offshoot of the one time allies of the US.

He helped preside over a regime that gassed Kurds, attempted to wipe out the Marsh Arabs and was complicit in general torture, corruption and scumbaggery. Hardly a good lad like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

State Dept confirms ISIS taken Mosul dam. Threatens entire Tigris plain: could put Mosul under 100 feet of water, Baghdad 16 feet.

US "extremely concerned" by Mosul dam development. Coordinating with Iraqsecurity forces & Peshmerga to develop options to mitigate threat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

old_aussie wrote: »
    Poor deluded thoughts

I see no difference between the Nazi war machine, the Rising Sun war machine and the islam war machine

The good peace loving Germans and the good peace loving Japanese fed their respective war machines to the end.

The "good peace loving" Germans and Japanese were insignificant when their war machines began their slaughter.

Look at what happened to Germany and Japan, they were taken to the brink of annihilation until their fanatical leaders were killed or unconditionally surrendered.

The "good" Germans and the "good" Japanese refused to realise what their respective war machines would bring to them and that their fanatical leaders and docttine would bring destruction.

I see the same happening to the islam war machine.

Also I'm sick of hearing from muslims that it's only a few bad muslims giving islam a bad name...That line don't cut it anymore.
    it does cut it because its true

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

FTA69 wrote: »

What nonsense is this? As bad and terrible as Iraq was under Hussein, it was at least somewhat stable and we never had any of this sort of utter chaos and sectional warfare. For years US-led sanctions against Iraq simply plunged the general population there into poverty while doing nothing to destabilise the ruling elite who continued to live in luxury. This was then followed by an invasion predicated on a pack of lies (WMD) and an obvious attempt at strengthening US geopolitical position in the area. Instead, the Americans ran out of steam, bailed out and left behind a sordid f*cking mess which is directly to blame for the rise of ISIS (and others) today.

The current scenario is a direct consequence of that invasion so forgive me if I'm not heaping praise on the Yanks for making a few token efforts at sorting out the mess they created.

I think you'll find there was considerable Western intervention in Libya and now that Ghadaffi has gone the country has gone down the sh*tter. Good job all.

...And now you're contradicting yourself utterly because those who are now to the fore in fighting Assad are these nutjobs in ISIS. Are you suggesting the Americans and Co intervene again and create the conditions where they can take over completely? Despite the narrative we were initially spun of the noble "Free Syrian Army" we now see it's simply another front for these Islamist crackpots to push against. Ironically enough, it's the 'terrorists' in Hezbollah who are making the main moves to hold the line.

Unlike yourself who's on the ground is it? You're pontificating just as much as anyone else.

This is so patronising to the people in these countries. Can they not think for themselves? Are the US telling them to behead innocent civilians and children? Have they no free will?

Are you advocating that America does not intervene to save the people for have fled from the murderous ISIS hordes? Who will help them then? Ireland? (we who are trying to wriggle out of Sanctions against Russia because they might cost us a few bob)The EU?

Bush was a criminal. His war in Iraq was an abomination. But no one forces these ISIS scum to do what they do. I hope America wipe them out - every last one. And I will be cheering them every step of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

One of the unfortunate things about this current conflict is that it could possibly have been avoided.

Once Saddam Hussein had been ousted by US Forces and the Nation's Military pacified, efforts should have been made to immediately place Iraq on the path to a three state solution. The attempts to essentially re-mould the Iraqi State into a functioning democracy were incredibly misguided once we take into account just how divided and incompatible it's inhabitants were. The new Iraqi Army were great evidence of this during the initial rise of ISIS/ISIL, where they quickly threw down their weapons - not because they were an inherently bad Army, but because many of them realised that they had nothing tangible to fight for.

The only reason Iraq was even remotely stable during Saddam's rule was because it required at the bare minimum a brutal dictatorship to coerce the population into anything even resembling stability. It was unfortunate that the US mistook any discontent in the region as solely a response to Saddam's rule rather than evidence of the fact that the Country never should have existed in the first place, let alone be allowed to continue to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But it is. That is what the Australian Government defines it. If one goes to say Germany or the UK from a war torn country lives there for a bit then jumps on a plane to Ireland or Australia to claim 'asylum' then that is emigration not asylum seeking.

.......which is condemnation in and of itself. We aren't talking about anyone living anywhere previously either - that's something you've just introduced.

LorMal wrote: »
    This is so patronising to the people in these countries. Can they not think for themselves? Are the US telling them to behead innocent civilians and children? Have they no free will?

What are you on about? I never said that for a second. I said that smashing a society to pieces and plunging it into the chaos of protracted war allows for these sort of groups to emerge and gain traction. That's just a plain fact. It has happened in Iraq, Libya and a multitude of other countries. When you dismantle existing society and replace it with f*ck all it stands to reason that dystopic mental groups will emerge because there is nobody to stand up to them. If Irish society was plunged into instability and poverty for years and then invaded we'd probably have loopy groups emerge too. It has p*ss all to do with the nationality in question so please stop inferring I'm patronising people in the Middle East, I have more experience of the gaff and its people than most.
    Are you advocating that America does not intervene to save the people for have fled from the murderous ISIS hordes?

I'm advocating that the Yanks shouldn't have invaded the place to begin with. However, we are where we are now and they probably have a duty to help clean up the mess they created. They won't be getting praise from me in doing so however.
    I hope America wipe them out - every last one. And I will be cheering them every step of the way

Wartard nonsense. Death and destruction should never be cheered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 leBIT

h ttp://fitmisc.com/forum/showthread.php/76329-Breaking-News-US-begins-bombing-ISIS-with-first-strike-on-Islamists-artillery-already-confirmed

h ttp://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/08/world/iraq-options/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

fitmisc.com is an interesting source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Breaking news several hours ago, surely theres already a thread on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

America saves the day again

MadYaker wrote: »

Nope they launched the first airstrike 10 minutes ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

So we have the Syrian, Iraqi, Iranian and U.S. air forces all operating over Iraqi airspace.
    It's a strange old world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057264736&page=13

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads Merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Rightwing wrote: »
    They all knew it. Why did Bush senior not topple Hussein ?

Because he gave them a reason to be in the region for future resource wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

dav3 wrote: »
    Seeing as though Iraq is in a worse state than before the US and it's "allies" invaded. The very least the US should be doing is sorting out the mess they created.

Oh, they will, don't worry.

As soon as that lovely (now privatised) oil gets even remotely threatened, they'll be back over, quick as a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The yanks are getting stuck in again, worked out well last time :rolleyes:

They really shouldn't have wthdrawn troops when they did a few years back. Hopefully lessons can be learned from Iraq and Afghanistan and future American leaders will be less eager to get involved in other countries affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The yanks are getting stuck in again, worked out well last time :rolleyes:

They really shouldn't have wthdrawn troops when they did a few years back. Hopefully lessons can be learned from Iraq and Afghanistan and future American leaders will be less eager to get involved in other countries affairs.

Think of all that rebuilding......again. What's thousands of lives compared to profit and turnover for the US corporations. It's just collateral damage. Bring back Blair and Bush, they would love to do it all again..

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Forget it being about peoples live's, it's all about the oil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

leBIT wrote: »
    h ttp://fitmisc.com/forum/showthread.php/76329-Breaking-News-US-begins-bombing-ISIS-with-first-strike-on-Islamists-artillery-already-confirmed

h ttp://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/08/world/iraq-options/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The difference between Irish forums and American…

90% Of Irish posters-won't no one think of the terrorists…

90% of American posters-bomb them all to hell, let god sort them out…

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

mad muffin wrote: »

90% Of Irish posters-won't no one think of the CHILDREN

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Forget it being about peoples live's, it's all about the oil!!

Proof?

What oil benefit (contracts, pricing etc) is there from parachuting boxes of water to people trapped & terrified on a scorching mountainside?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

bumper234 wrote: »
    FYP.

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own…

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »

90% Of Irish posters-won't no one think of the terrorists…

Murica

Advertisement