Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wexie, you absolutely have an expectation of privacy and I dunno why he would need "cover" for his holidays for your depression. So you have a right to be miffed.

I would say you have done the right thing by taking a walk first to think things over.

Now have a think about this.... your depression shouldn't be a big secret. (Secrets make you sick, trust me on that one. :)). I'm not saying you need to broadcast it around the office and everyone you know but in my experience I found HUGE relief by coming to terms with my depression and seeing it as a much lesser thing than I had allowed it to become in my head. When I belittled it (in a manner of speaking) I took the power it had over me and somehow that seemed to make it more manageable.

So yeah, the guy made a very poor judgement around your privacy but maybe you can turn this to the good. Lots and lots and lots of people get depression in Ireland. Probably more than get a common cold. Its not trivial, I know that only too well but don't give it power it doesn't deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tonight I lost my son to this, leaving a partner and two wonderful kids behind. Things were going right for him and he could not see it, f#ck you, you evil destroyer

Very sorry for your loss Bernard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bad form atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Thanks all for your good advice, I've given the situation some thought. I think he's absolutely shown poor judgement but more likely than not it was probably done with the best of intentions.

As Drumpot (thank you) said :I do think I have a good reason to make an issue out of this, however I can't see what good could come from it. Better to take it up with him privately and make sure he knows he owes me one :)

Thanks again everybody, hope ya'll have a cracking good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Am by the pool in Spain atm. Just thinking I wish I took one medication instead of so many. I took one med citalopram for 5 years but it stopped working and now I'm on a lot. Wonder if I spoke to my psych doc when I see them in August would they see if there is anything they can do to lower it to one effective med? The weight gain really annoys me I'm on two meds that cause a lot of weight I've put on two stone in a year. But mood is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

lukesmom wrote: »
    Am by the pool in Spain atm. Just thinking I wish I took one medication instead of so many. I took one med citalopram for 5 years but it stopped working and now I'm on a lot. Wonder if I spoke to my psych doc when I see them in August would they see if there is anything they can do to lower it to one effective med? The weight gain really annoys me I'm on two meds that cause a lot of weight I've put on two stone in a year. But mood is good.

You could try finding out of ways of tackling the weight gain. Is it increased appetite, for example, perhaps fibre pills/more water would help to "fill you up".

Or to talk to the doc of switch to a med that doesn't have that side affect.

The thing is, is thinness worth a drop in your mental health?
    Try just making sure your fitness and food choices is good.

You could try finding out of ways of tackling the weight gain. Is it increased appetite, for example, perhaps fibre pills/more water would help to "fill you up".

Or to talk to the doc of switch to a med that doesn't have that side affect.

The thing is, is thinness worth a drop in your mental health?
    Try just making sure your fitness and food choices is good.

The pills I'm on are notorious for weight gain. They mess up your metabolism. It's not that I want to be super skinny it's just that I'm huge compared to how I was. Wish I could take one pill. At the moment I'm on 5 meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

lukesmom wrote: »
    The pills I'm on are notorious for weight gain. They mess up your metabolism. It's not that I want to be super skinny it's just that I'm huge compared to how I was. Wish I could take one pill. At the moment I'm on 5 meds.

I'm on a few meds as well, but when I think of what each one does/is for. I quickly realise I need them all and taking less as much as I might want to isn't beneficial.

I understand the weight gain is bothering you and I'm sure your doc does too, but in this case, the benefits of the meds are worth the side effects, no? Though of course it's no harm to ask your doc about switching meds or coming off them.

I'm on a few meds as well, but when I think of what each one does/is for. I quickly realise I need them all and taking less as much as I might want to isn't beneficial.

I understand the weight gain is bothering you and I'm sure your doc does too, but in this case, the benefits of the meds are worth the side effects, no? Though of course it's no harm to ask your doc about switching meds or coming off them.

Yeah all you have said above is true. I will speak to my doc about my options but if they don't think I should come off them I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I ,for some reason in my sleep tried to scratch off my marks from the passed in my sleep and ended up with .........from last night has turned red/green and black.

Some blood is seeping which is fine but the color of the wonds is not good.
    TBO I don't know why I post this.
    I did not mean to damage my self buy some how though I could scratch my past scares away and made it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Dodd wrote: »
    I ,for some reason in my sleep tried to scratch off my marks from the passed in my sleep and ended up with .........from last night has turned red/green and black.

Some blood is seeping which is fine but the color of the wonds is not good.
    TBO I don't know why I post this.
    I did not mean to damage my self buy some how though I could scratch my past scares away and made it worse.

It looks worse in 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Dodd wrote: »
    It looks worse in 3D

I'd visit a pharmacist for that dude. With the heat something to ease the irritation will do you good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

^^ Agree with Teddy, also, you need to bandage it up so you don't scratch while it's healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is lifted straight off the front page of Imgur, but I'll put a copy on Boards for those who may not have seen it. According to the OP it's a poster from a therapist's door.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I shared that picture on another thread, thanks..

- Went to dr. this morning with severe anxiety (again).
    - Signed off sick for 2 weeks to start, reminded of exercises etc.
    - Made new apt. with counsellor
    - Went home to calm down a bit
    - Went out to get some shopping and chat to a friend

On the way back I got stuck behind a tractor and friday afternoon traffic, slow down, turn up the radio, open all the windows in the car......hmmm....maybe things aren't as bad after all, the weather certainly is glorious

<brain>but you're supposed to be off sick with depression and anxiety, you certainly can't be feeling this good<brain>

<mood> went down like a lead balloon<mood>
    <anxiety>up like a rocket<anxiety>

WTF brain!!!

You're supposed to be my buddy :mad:

I know of course tis a terrible idea to stab your brain with a pen....but geez some days it's certainly tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I can empathize !
    I read a quote a bit like this in mediation book , "if all we needed to be happy was think happy thoughts everyone would be happy".
    Our poor brains are doing the best they can , they are just out of date by about 400,000 years.

This is one of the best depression sites/guides I'm seen in the last few years.

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/images/site-images/cycle-of-depression-sd-noc.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sometimes Twitter forces me to condense what I'm trying to say into something concentrated :)

https://twitter.com/DeVore/status/493699893887008768
    "When I was pretending to be happy I was deeply unhappy and what made me happy was telling people that I wasn't as happy as I pretended. O.o"

I'm feeling a lot like Temperance Brennan (Bones)today

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdboegyrdn1rtwu45o1_500.jpg

People are weird :confused:

Although perhaps it's me that's somewhat weird to expect logic and rational thinking to be commonplace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Hey guys, I need some help... (And have a bit of a rant/tell my story, just to make myself feel better.. If you don't want all that just skip down a few paragraphs and I'd appreciate some advice.)

I'm 18 and am nearly certain that I'm suffering from some sort of depression, I'm going to make an appointment with my GP in the coming days, I've just ignored this and hoped it would get better for long enough.

Anyway, to be honest I can't remember the last time I felt truly happy, must have been some time between the ages of 12 and 13, feeling down has just become normal to me, a part of life. I'd say I've had thoughts of suicide everyday for the past 3 years, but I wouldn't consider myself "suicidal" as I've never made anything beyond a half-assed plan that I know I'd never go through with.. Partly because the thought of the effect it would have on my parents/little brother breaks my heart.. But recently I've started to worry myself, I've came close to self-harming quite a lot but I've always managed to convince myself otherwise, today was nearly different though. Sure there's been a few hours here and there where I'm on top of the world, the odd full day maybe once or twice a year, but besides that I'm feeling down 90% of the time. Even when I'm doing something I enjoy I can't escape negative thoughts, and now my mind is surrounded by negativity even when I'm looking back at some things I feel I genuinely should be proud of... :confused:

My concentration levels have gone to sh*t in the past few months, used to love playing my guitar, a bit of playstation, reading a book etc., just all the things any teenager would enjoy.. but now I can't even enjoy doing them because I can't concentrate, if anything trying to do any of those things actually worsens my mood because I know they would have helped distract me for a couple of hours in the past... It's as if I can't take enjoyment out of anything most days, most of the time I just have to try to stop myself from thinking negative thoughts, which isn't easy.

My energy? It's as good as gone. Some days turning on the laptop seems like too much effort, and walking down to the shop seems like a big effort most days. I spend about 9 hours lying on my bed in my room some days, I just don't have the motivation to do anything else. Don't have a clue how I'd have got through school if I was feeling this sh*t a few months ago, I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage college at all to be honest unless I sort this out. The fact that I thought before my exams that my Summer holidays might actually improve my mood is the worst part, because if anything I feel twice as bad now than I ever have. My "time off" has just turned into one of the most difficult periods of my life so far.

My social life is non-existent at the moment, and to be honest that's all on me. I was never the most social of people, but I always had 4 or 5 friends I'd keep in close contact with/have a laugh with, but I just have no time for any of them anymore, since about the middle of May I've been basically ignoring them whenever I can. I just don't want to talk to them. Frankly, I don't like treating my friends like sh*t but I only feel worse when I'm around them. I've agreed to meet up with a few friends during the week but I'm seriously regretting it already. It just seems like so much effort to pretend to be in good humour you know? Whenever I'm with them I just feel like I'm laughing at and listening to a load of stupid sh*t that doesn't matter and that I don't care about, anything they say to me just seems so irrelevant to me because I just feel like I'm trapped in my own little bubble. My brain's telling me to lock myself in my room for a week and see nobody, but I know that'll only make things worse. :( I'd love to be out having the laugh with my friends a couple times a week, but I just think it's impossible at the moment.

Anyway, all that's what's up with me, exciting stuff eh? :p I'd like some advice now (not medical) if you don't mind.. I know this may seem trivial or whatever, but it's something I've been having terrible trouble trying to gather up the courage to do for the past few years... The only person I've told about how I'm feeling is to a friend who lives abroad, simply because I needed to rant about sh*t and I know he won't tell anyone else about it (that's more because he's an asshole than anything but that's fine by me! :p). I've come to realise anyway that I have to tell my parents, but I don't have a clue how to go about it (stupid, I know), any advice? I believe that if my situation was ehm... "normal", I'd have told them by now, but I really don't want to worry them due to some past experiences they've had with mental illness/other family members, don't want to say much else about that tbh. If I told my mother everything I've said on here for example she'd be in bits, and that's the last thing I want. Should I just tell them I've been feeling down for a while and I'd like to speak to a doctor about it? To be honest there's not a chance I'm telling them I've been having thoughts of suicide.. Not in this conversation anyway.

It's as much for my good that I have to tell them as well to be honest, I can't expect them to understand how sh*t I'm feeling if I don't tell them.

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post, felt good to get all that out of my system... Only took an hour and a half... :o

• Advertisement

This group of four or five friends, is there one in there you could tell?. If it's too hard face to face text or email works too. I should know, it's how I've communicated a lot of things..
    Good that you are going to a doctor - do ask them about the availability of some sort of talk therapy, because while medication is very helpful for quite a few it is often just a stabiliser so some counselling etc could prove helpful.
    If you are planning on third level education most places have a student support system in place with on site doctor and counselling at a vastly reduced rate if (like most of us) money is a problem.
    Pieta house and jigsaw are both groups aimed almost exactly at what you seem to be talking about.

Most importantly, you are not alone, you are not a monster, and all the support is there, you just have to be able to stand up and ask - not always easy but hey if I can and others on this thread can then you can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

HF, looking at things in the round you will be fine.

Speak to your GP if you really feel that you need to do so. Ask them how best to speak with your parents.

Meditation is very good for calming the mind. Easy to say I know, but not hard to get the hang of if you stick with it.

Going offline for a few days can sometimes help too.

Not your ornery onager

Hey guys, I need some help... (And have a bit of a rant/tell my story, just to make myself feel better.. If you don't want all that just skip down a few paragraphs and I'd appreciate some advice.)

I'm 18 and am nearly certain that I'm suffering from some sort of depression, I'm going to make an appointment with my GP in the coming days, I've just ignored this and hoped it would get better for long enough.

Anyway, to be honest I can't remember the last time I felt truly happy, must have been some time between the ages of 12 and 13, feeling down has just become normal to me, a part of life. I'd say I've had thoughts of suicide everyday for the past 3 years, but I wouldn't consider myself "suicidal" as I've never made anything beyond a half-assed plan that I know I'd never go through with.. Partly because the thought of the effect it would have on my parents/little brother breaks my heart.. But recently I've started to worry myself, I've came close to self-harming quite a lot but I've always managed to convince myself otherwise, today was nearly different though. Sure there's been a few hours here and there where I'm on top of the world, the odd full day maybe once or twice a year, but besides that I'm feeling down 90% of the time. Even when I'm doing something I enjoy I can't escape negative thoughts, and now my mind is surrounded by negativity even when I'm looking back at some things I feel I genuinely should be proud of... :confused:

My concentration levels have gone to sh*t in the past few months, used to love playing my guitar, a bit of playstation, reading a book etc., just all the things any teenager would enjoy.. but now I can't even enjoy doing them because I can't concentrate, if anything trying to do any of those things actually worsens my mood because I know they would have helped distract me for a couple of hours in the past... It's as if I can't take enjoyment out of anything most days, most of the time I just have to try to stop myself from thinking negative thoughts, which isn't easy.

My energy? It's as good as gone. Some days turning on the laptop seems like too much effort, and walking down to the shop seems like a big effort most days. I spend about 9 hours lying on my bed in my room some days, I just don't have the motivation to do anything else. Don't have a clue how I'd have got through school if I was feeling this sh*t a few months ago, I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage college at all to be honest unless I sort this out. The fact that I thought before my exams that my Summer holidays might actually improve my mood is the worst part, because if anything I feel twice as bad now than I ever have. My "time off" has just turned into one of the most difficult periods of my life so far.

My social life is non-existent at the moment, and to be honest that's all on me. I was never the most social of people, but I always had 4 or 5 friends I'd keep in close contact with/have a laugh with, but I just have no time for any of them anymore, since about the middle of May I've been basically ignoring them whenever I can. I just don't want to talk to them. Frankly, I don't like treating my friends like sh*t but I only feel worse when I'm around them. I've agreed to meet up with a few friends during the week but I'm seriously regretting it already. It just seems like so much effort to pretend to be in good humour you know? Whenever I'm with them I just feel like I'm laughing at and listening to a load of stupid sh*t that doesn't matter and that I don't care about, anything they say to me just seems so irrelevant to me because I just feel like I'm trapped in my own little bubble. My brain's telling me to lock myself in my room for a week and see nobody, but I know that'll only make things worse. :( I'd love to be out having the laugh with my friends a couple times a week, but I just think it's impossible at the moment.

Anyway, all that's what's up with me, exciting stuff eh? :p I'd like some advice now (not medical) if you don't mind.. I know this may seem trivial or whatever, but it's something I've been having terrible trouble trying to gather up the courage to do for the past few years... The only person I've told about how I'm feeling is to a friend who lives abroad, simply because I needed to rant about sh*t and I know he won't tell anyone else about it (that's more because he's an asshole than anything but that's fine by me! :p). I've come to realise anyway that I have to tell my parents, but I don't have a clue how to go about it (stupid, I know), any advice? I believe that if my situation was ehm... "normal", I'd have told them by now, but I really don't want to worry them due to some past experiences they've had with mental illness/other family members, don't want to say much else about that tbh. If I told my mother everything I've said on here for example she'd be in bits, and that's the last thing I want. Should I just tell them I've been feeling down for a while and I'd like to speak to a doctor about it? To be honest there's not a chance I'm telling them I've been having thoughts of suicide.. Not in this conversation anyway.

It's as much for my good that I have to tell them as well to be honest, I can't expect them to understand how sh*t I'm feeling if I don't tell them.

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post, felt good to get all that out of my system... Only took an hour and a half... :o

There's certainly a whole lot there, let me give you a few thoughts, please do keep in mind I'm not a medical professional, nor a counsellor, so these really are just thoughts and completely unqualified advice :

- you should really tell your parents, it's much better they know there's something up with you than think you're being a typical lazy teenager, the reactions are likely worlds apart and I'd imagine the treatment you'd get from your parents for being a lazy teenager would be completely counter productive for someone with depression (that's certainly how it was for me many moons ago, the last thing you need to hear is : ah would ya ever get over yourself, get your thumb out etc. etc. etc.)

- have a think about telling at least one of your friends, if they know it might be easier for them to keep up the effort to try to get you to come out, provided you try to make some effort as well. If you think this is hard now, wait till you've lost all your friends and have to make new ones, really try to avoid this if you can. Aside from that the support of your friends is important and it's important you try to stay active. Lying on your bed the whole day is not at all doing you any good. You don't even need to explain in detail. You could just say : I'm sorry dude, I haven't been feeling very well lately but I'd like to get out and do something. If you're worried about going out with the group just ask one friend at first.

- If you're worried about college, that's okay, have a think about perhaps postponing it for a year? Are you worried about the course? Is there an underlying feeling of anxiousness about the wrong course? If there's any doubt about the course, or you're feeling pressured in a certain direction (I'm doing this cause it's the done thing, or your parents are expecting something of you) you need to have a good long hard think about it. College isn't going to be much fun if you're studying something you're not fully behind and it's going to be just soo much harder to stick to and finish.

- if you're having trouble concentrating or you're not enjoying what you used to enjoy, try something new. For me certainly it's helped a great deal to create something tangible. I've started gardening and have found it very satisfying to see the result. There are tonnes of things you can do that won't have to cost any money at all. Go visit the ISPCA and volunteer to bring some dogs for a walk (if you like dags that is :D), have a root around the garage and see if you can find materials to build something, try some baking (I've started making the most delicious homemade pizza's (everything from scratch).

But just whatever you do try to get out of your room, believe it or not, sunshine and activity will help, even if you don't feel like it now.

This isn't easy but you've taken the first step (asked for advice from random strangers on the internet ;) ) so you're on the way to improving already!!

And just remember, this is a good place to ask for advice, support or just rant. (pretty much at any time of the day as well)

(also, what might help, the way I broached the whole depression thing with Mrs. W is to get her to read Devore's first post in the thread. Certainly made things a lot easier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

(Just a little off-topic FYI for those on Lexparo who mightn't already know. There is now a generic version available which is up to half the price. Your pharmacist should be offering it to you next time you go to get your prescription. (It's called "Actavis.") I just found out today when I was collecting mine.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Hey guys, I need some help...

TL;DR

:pac: Only joking, I read the whole thing.

And - wow. I was really taken aback by how it sounded like you were talking about me when I was your age. For me it was six years after I finished secondary school when everything hit rock bottom. Over those six years, I never really tried to address the problems that I knew I was feeling inside and, looking back, that was probably a lot to do with the fact that any time my mother saw me be sad or upset, it made her really upset, so I became a master of hiding any and all negative feelings whatsoever, and I did it extremely well. And what did that lead to? It lead to things eventually crashing down around me.

So, all I can say is you are absolutely 110% doing the right thing by addressing your feelings, as this is officially the beginning of your recovery. And also, I one thousand percent believe that the three things that would have the biggest positive impact on your recovery will be exercise, healthy nutrition and meditation.

Also be aware that the feelings you are experiencing are extremely common among your age group, possibly for multiple reasons including difficult teenage years, hormonal imbalances, coming of age, poor diet, lack of fresh air and exercise, the emotional effect of having just finished secondary school and other big life changes, romantic issues, low self esteem, difficult home life, fear of the future, to name a limited few. But the point is just be aware that what you are feeling is unfortunately quite normal to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm starting to think most of my depression/anxiety is caused by my mother. We just don't get along , she constantly criticises me and then complains about me overexaggerates everything. I'm a laid back person I don't ever get angry with anyone . My mothers the only one who ever makes me so angry to cry. I just seem constantly like I'm walking one eggshells at home trying to avoid an argument .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I don't know if I am depressed or not but I know I have been in the past.
    I've had a rather hard year in 2013, I can't really go into what happened as this is a public forum, but you know, it is one of those things you cope with in the short term, put it in a box and one day in the future it will jump out and destroy you.
    Additional to that there have been rather serious medical scares and illness to relations of mine and genetically I am literally waiting for the symptoms to get worse at the moment.
    Left school this year, doing a course before going to Uni, I am a bad worrier, so I feared of what the future will bring, what if I am too **** at this, what if I don't get into Uni or I never get a steady job and my illnesses impact me far more than I expect or things like that.
    Since I left school only one friend has kept in touch with me which makes me feel isolated and she is going away this year to Uni, I don't know, I just know I feel really **** and when I go to my GP she wants me to go through with court etc but I cant stand the thought of giving evidence and I really cant. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You should find a counsellor, meet up and have a good ol' chat. Get it all off your chest and your head straigthened out. It'll do ya wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

MagicIRL wrote: »
    You should find a counsellor, meet up and have a good ol' chat. Get it all off your chest and your head straigthened out. It'll do ya wonders.

I did but my parents hated me going (they have something against shrinks) and they refused me transport to my appointments and I don't have a job and its quite far away so I stopped going.
    Even so, the therapist was pressuring decisions on me, unless see another counselor?
    It's like opening a can a worms, I am annoyed with myself because I know I should get this sorted before it festers, but I am scared about it all really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

You could start off with a new counsellor by explaining the problems you had with the previous one perhaps so they're more equipped to be helpful?

Advertisement