Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I really like Jericho's podcast, it's become must-listen for me when he's got a good guest. He's very natural on the mic and is a much easier listen just chatting than a lot of the wrestling guys, who seem to have trouble with the format. The guy could do live radio, easily. Aside from Cole & JBL, and maybe Cabana, I don't think any of the other PodcastOne guys could do that and it sounds like they need multiple takes to do their spoken bits whereas Jericho seems to breeze through it. Maybe that's just me with the radio background, I'm a sucker for good production and can't stand awkward clunkiness. Austin has the charisma to plough through that but the rest can be grating at times. JR's cold open is particularly awkward (surprisingly) and he could really benefit from having someone to bounce off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

There about 20 minutes of crap at the start on all of the podcast one ones.
    Jericho is so hard to pin down for me. He's really arrogant and obnoxious to a comical degree (he's practically a rock star parody), but he comes across as a decent sort. When he's talking about something I'm not bored to tears by, he's great and its hard to not be swept up by his enthusiasm.

Has anyone listened to Goldberg's one at all yet? It's such a weird outlier to all of the others, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Jericho annoys the Hell of me and his guests are from shítty metal bands

Goldberg isn't annoying but his guests are from ****ty American sports. I'm waiting for him to talk about more WCW stuff and the politics there, along with his fight with Jericho, though, I don't believe I heard Jericho mention anything about this either, so I doubt Goldberg will bring it up because I remember reading something about Jericho getting the better of him.

Jericho annoys the Hell of of me and his guests are from shítty metal bands

Goldberg isn't annoying but his guests are from ****ty American sports. I'm waiting for him to talk about more WCW stuff and the politics there, along with his fight with Jericho, though, I don't believe I heard Jericho mention anything about this either, so I doubt Goldberg will bring it up because I remember reading something about Jericho getting the better of him.
    Doesn't Jericho mention it in his book? Something along the lines of he saw Goldberg charging at him and tried the first hold that popped into his head, says it was a total fluke?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Doesn't Jericho mention it in his book? Something along the lines of he saw Goldberg charging at him and tried the first hold that popped into his head, says it was a total fluke?

Yeah, Jericho plays it down alot. Id imagine its modesty though. (I say that as a big Y2J fan :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

gimmick wrote: »
    I cannot listen to Jerichos podcast anymore. He is so unbelievably annoying and the amount of filler crap at the start tears it for me. 20 minutes of the Daniel Bryan one at the start. Hell with that.

The strange thing is he actually seems alright when talking to other wrestlers, but on the intro and outro he is so incredibly annoying. I enjoyed his show with Drew McIntyre and someone else recently who's name is escaping me now..

Really enjoyed Angle and JR. I know a lot of people don't like Jim Ross but he seems like a good guy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

the 3 podcasts I'm really liking at the moment:
    -WHTSNXT
    -Attitude Era Podcast
    -Bauer & Pollock

I haven't listened to JR's 2 parter with Angle yet and haven't been following up AOW in quite a bit aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

rovert wrote: »
    The 2 parter with Edge and Paul Heyman was utterly fantastic.

Yes it is. Listened to both in the last few days.

I guess the trick is to skip the first 20 minutes.

I enjoyed Austins episode with Court Bauer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Really enjoyed tommy dreamers two parter on austin's podcast. And he also reveals who was signed and meant to be takers opponent at WM XIX before the a train and big show stuff was suprising.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed tommy dreamers two parter on austin's podcast. And he also reveals who was signed and meant to be takers opponent at WM XIX before the a train and big show stuff was suprising.
    Who was it?
    Goldberg? He was signed around then, like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭themick

Who was it?
    Goldberg? He was signed around then, like
    abyss

Something people here might be interested in: I did an interview with Colt Cabana where he talked about getting into podcasting, his future plans, WWE release and more. I also reviewed the rest of the wrestling podcasts and would be interested to get others' thoughts.

leggo wrote: »
    Something people here might be interested in: I did an interview with Colt Cabana where he talked about getting into podcasting, his future plans, WWE release and more. I also reviewed the rest of the wrestling podcasts and would be interested to get others' thoughts.

Apparently, he was one of the people behind this: http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/popular_wrestling_torrent_website_being_targeted_by_ring_of_honor_to_remove_content/14450080?linksrc=story_article_yb_original_head_14450080

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You mean when Colt was in ROH? Or people stealing his free podcast! I'd be shocked if that got anywhere, considering the MPAA/RIAA can't take out much bigger torrent sites. It'd be hilarious if this fella went to jail over doing DDoS attacks, which are illegal.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You mean when Colt was in ROH? Or people stealing his free podcast! I'd be shocked if that got anywhere, considering the MPAA/RIAA can't take out much bigger torrent sites. It'd be hilarious if this fella went to jail over doing DDoS attacks, which are illegal.

It happened in March/April 2013.

Yeah, Nate Glass isn't too smart. Xtreme Wrestling Torrents isn't based in the U.S. and filesharing isn't like stealing because making duplicates doesn't mean it goes "missing" or "stolen". I remember the members discussing the legality of DDoS attacks on the site.

I believe Nigel McGuinness is another name who was accused of hiring Nate Glass. ROH as an enity may have been involved, but I can't remember because the forum was integrated with the site this year so the old posts are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

He used to advertise that guy on his podcast. Must be his crappy dvd's and paid content.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Only listening to jerichos podcast that features edge and Paul heyman. It's great I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Anyone listen to the AJ Styles Jim Ross podcast? He was extra, extra preachy/annoying/condensing during his opening preamble about the deficits of modern Wrestling and then extra, extra belligerent during the interview. On another forum someone dubbed it " JR gives AJ Styles a bunch of advice hour." He legitimately came off as drunk or other. He recently talked about his ambien but this sounded more like a drunk at the bar preaching about life to a young'un.

In terms of AJ Styles the headline here was that he is treated so well he would be afraid of disrespecting New Japan by even entertaining a TNA currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Austin with Shamrock is good.

Yeah ROvert it was terrible, I shut it off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I listened to one JR podcast a while ago and then just got rid of it. The man is unbearable.

• Advertisement

That it was. lol'd at Ken being more conditioned and better skilled than the vast majority of the UFC and WWE claim though.

Bob Shamrock was everything Ken said he was though.

If you liked Ken's interview you MUST wholeheartedly watch this documentary if you haven't before:

Yeah ROvert it was terrible, I shut it off

Worse than 10 ten Dublin Taxi drivers :p

Can't listen to JRs podcasts myself.

He's too long winded. Even with a simple question it takes him around 5 mins to ask the question.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Maybe he's an Ent... You must understand, young cactus, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Slobberknockish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long (breath) time to say.

Listening to Dreamer on Austins podcast.

Heyman not coming across well!

From everything I've ever heard about Heyman, I can't help but feel that he gets a harsh time for how ECW ended.

A promoter's job is to ensure that he himself profits through the success of a show using whatever resources available to him. That's it. He is under no obligation to pay a wrestler's mortgage for them. Wrestlers often trade off goodwill from fan support (which, in the case of many ECW guys especially, they only have because Heyman wrote them in such a way that their mediocre talent was made to look a million dollars) to try settle past personal grudges with promoters when we only ever hear one side of the story. Wrestlers often act as if the promoter is obliged to make them a millionaire and global superstar when that's not the case at all. They are just as liable to lie, manipulate, con and outright steal in their efforts to achieve that goal as any promoter. As much as Dreamer goes on about how he doesn't do politics etc, if I offered him $100k to appear at the next WWE Party and do a promo (or if he even sensed that I'd be willing to), he'd take it in a second and not feel bad about it despite knowing it'd be a dreadful deal for me. He's no saint either. And if he was, he wouldn't still be active in the business. I admire Heyman wearing his notoriety like a badge of honour. He's the only one in this scenario being completely honest with fans (even a bit harsh on himself).

Here's why a wrestler may not end up getting paid in any situation:

1) The promoter was more ambitious than realistic and over-promised in a vision that was unfortunately not financially viable. You can't pay someone money that doesn't exist, after all.
    2) The promoter lied and deceived wrestlers into working without ever having the intention to pay them in order to turn a quick buck on their name.

If Heyman was guilty of option 2), then he damn sure wouldn't have gotten the likes of Dreamer and Van Dam their next gig in WWE when he almost definitely didn't need to. He would've kept them as far away from him as possible.

Reading between the lines, Heyman was a guy who had an ambition and vision greater than his budget. He was no clown either, mind, and knew how to get wrestlers on-side if he needed to, and probably traded off any residual guilt in knowing that those same wrestlers would likely do the same to him if they could. These wrestlers only hold onto this ill will because he outsmarted them, simple as. They are workers, people who take pride in their ability to work and deceive people, and they got worked themselves so they'll be forever butthurt by that fact.

It's not Heyman's fault he's more switched on than them, in fact as neutrals we should respect him way more for that. Who's the last remaining relevant person from ECW in pro-wrestling today? Exactly, and he's outlasted them all for a good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Haven't listened to it but the truth hurts. Dreamer was closer to Heyman than most who worked there.

Missy Hyatt on Cornette's podcast has some interesting annecdotes on 70's/80's wrestling as most his usually do. Hyatt often comments live on Twitter during WWE shows and I find her insights to be decent enough.

Haven't listened yet but those who I trust said Tommy was full of ****. The Abyss timeline makes no sense and the Network Tommy had lined up wouldn't have sustained ECW.

Sorry lads I shouldn't have been so vague.

Basically tommy was complaining about heyman being in Vince's pocket the whole time ecw was alive and not telling anyone and according to Dreamer Ecw could have been sold for 110 million at the end but Heyman wouldn't show for the meetings.

He also wanted to do an ecw/wcw invasion when both companys were still in business but Paul didn't want to upset vince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

leggo wrote: »

A promoter's job is to ensure that he himself profits through the success of a show using whatever resources available to him.

I would have thought that making a profit for the company was goal number 1 since the promoter makes a profit when the show draws decent numbers which exceed costs. Unless of course the promoter decide not to pay the workers.

• Advertisement

I heard that, and also don't see what Dreamer thinks his claim was to sell ECW. From the sounds of things he did a lot of work and financially backed certain elements (to the point Heyman probably worked him into believing he was an 'unofficial co-owner') but the only person who says that Dreamer could've been in a position to sell ECW is Tommy Dreamer himself, unless I'm mistaken. Sounds like BS claims so he can distance himself from Heyman not paying guys. "Oh *I* wanted to keep you in a job, we'd all be millionaires now if it were up to me..." etc.

Advertisement