Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

have seen and heard of xb1 disc drive issues ps 4 has similar. the kinect overheating is a new one i have heard of though. the xbox one controller is very good imo apart from rb and lb being tricky if you press on inside of buttons.

I watched one of the lads bust a day one controller by dropping it from waist height, I couldn't get over how badly made in comparison to the 360 pad it is, if they changed the type of plastic its made from it would sort it out....

The amount of advanced exchanges I put through for Kinects was mental, if I had a penny for each I'd be a rich man, it was like 2 weeks to the day of ownership they would just stop, no lights, nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I prefer the X Box one controller to the DS4, but but not enough to make me buy that controller even if it were available for the PS4, unless my DS4 broke, or something.

I think it is a better controller though. Guy who used to live in my house had an Xbox One and the controller impressed me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Fieldog wrote: »
    I watched one of the lads bust a day one controller by dropping it from waist height, I couldn't get over how badly made in comparison to the 360 pad it is, if they changed the type of plastic its made from it would sort it out....

The amount of advanced exchanges I put through for Kinects was mental, if I had a penny for each I'd be a rich man, it was like 2 weeks to the day of ownership they would just stop, no lights, nothing....

I have dropped mine now about 15 times since last November and its still 100%. A few times it was bad due to reaching for something when I still had my wired headset attached and I was sure when I looked down the controller would be in bits but it was grand.

Compared to other console controllers the Xb1 is in a whole other league. When I play my 360 straight away I miss not being able to use the XB1 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I haven't used an Xbox One controller for any real length of time so I can't really say if I prefer it or the DS4. The DS4 is an improvement over the DS3 but I still prefer the 360 controller over it. If I'm using a controller on the PC, the 360 one is what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

RasTa wrote: »
    That doesn't say anything about upping production to meet demands??? Pretty nothing markets anyway.

Hardly "nothing" markets. Many locales have hardware specific restrictions so new device skus are required for them, production therefor will not halt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

as a matter of interest, whats causing the kinects to overheat? I have a 50" plasma that radiates heat like no ones business, I'd be very slow to mount my kinect on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I have dropped mine now about 15 times since last November and its still 100%. A few times it was bad due to reaching for something when I still had my wired headset attached and I was sure when I looked down the controller would be in bits but it was grand.

Compared to other console controllers the Xb1 is in a whole other league. When I play my 360 straight away I miss not being able to use the XB1 controller.

yeah mines fallen a few times as well, but besides the battery cover coming off, theres been no marks or anything.
    +1 on it being a superior pad to the 360, initially I thought it was flimsy, but Id actually define is as "refined" now. the thumbsticks are perfection and the new d-pad is a major step up as well. games like guacamelee really highlight the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So if we talking about next gen, let me share my opinion on amazing two features on wii u that so simple, but just so nice.

Activity log - it's not really new as 3ds did it already, but it is just such a nice thing to have. I just love it. Why on earth the other 2 big boys could not think of it.

When you turn on tablet controller, you can just choose what do you want to load up right away, before OS kicks in. So I just dropped my arse in bed, pressed button on controller and chose to start Netflix right away. Such a simple thing, hut again, so handy and nice.

Edit: oh one more thing. I really like that wii u let's you retro use almost any older controller from last gen. Simple thing, but so consumer friendly.

Oh yeah, I came back from gamestop with a new game in my hand. It is Resident evil revalations.. For wii u. I could get it for pc for a lot less, but I chose wii u version. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Actually, anyone know any stores that have X1 demo units? I've seen loads of place with PS4 and Wii U ones, but haven't seen an X1 one yet?

I'd love to try out the pad. I'm generally fairly indifferent between controllers and am pretty much equally comfortable with the 360 pad, DS3, DS4 and even the Wii U gamepad, but I'd like to compare the X1 to the others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I would completely disagree. Uncharted and TLOU were amazing, as was GoW, Journey, and others.

The same can be said for many of the xbox exclusives too.

If multiplats are solely your game, then it's PC all the way. But it's always the exclusives that sell the console. Otherwise sure there wouldn't be much of a point having all 3 consoles.

Like I said... there are some great exclusives... my point is that MOST of the best games are multiplatform. Not everyone can afford/has time for 10-15 games a year. The best games for me last generation (On the consoles) were multiplatform games....

For every TLOU, there is a Portal 2, Darksouls, Skrim, Half Life 2, Fallout 3 and a Red Dead Redemption.

The only exclusive I played last generation from either console that I felt was really excellent was Demon Souls (I'll be playing TLOU next week for the first time and have never gotten round to Journey, which I suspect are the 2 other gems from the generation).

Im not saying the exclusives are bad or that they don't sell consoles, just that it is totally possible to just buy multi-platform games and be completely content as there are so many great games being released by 3rd party studios these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Journey redefines what can be considered game in a good way, same way the Stanley Parable defines it in a bad way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

So if we talking about next gen, let me share my opinion on amazing two features on wii u that so simple, but just so nice.

Activity log - it's not really new as 3ds did it already, but it is just such a nice thing to have. I just love it. Why on earth the other 2 big boys could not think of it.

When you turn on tablet controller, you can just choose what do you want to load up right away, before OS kicks in. So I just dropped my arse in bed, pressed button on controller and chose to start Netflix right away. Such a simple thing, hut again, so handy and nice.

Edit: oh one more thing. I really like that wii u let's you retro use almost any older controller from last gen. Simple thing, but so consumer friendly.

Oh yeah, I came back from gamestop with a new game in my hand. It is Resident evil revalations.. For wii u. I could get it for pc for a lot less, but I chose wii u version. :)

haha, your like the official boards Nintendo fanboy now. I bet you'll even be singing your praises for the new Zelda when it comes out.

as a matter of interest, whats causing the kinects to overheat? I have a 50" plasma that radiates heat like no ones business, I'd be very slow to mount my kinect on top of that.

No idea to be honest, just comes up to connect your Kinect, when its already plugged in, that's usually how to know....

You can mount it under the TV as opposed to on top of it I would say be the best option...

Its nothing that would be your fault, just a manufacturing defect, and if you haven't had it by now chances are your alright...

I used to work support so all I ever heard were the bad things! No one rang me to tell me how good it was.... :)

Magill wrote: »
    haha, your like the official boards Nintendo fanboy now. I bet you'll even be singing your praises for the new Zelda when it comes out.

Lol I know. I am actually ashamed of myself now. I became what I hated the most! :pac: :D
    I don't knows why exactly wii u got me by the balls like that. Maybe because I had such low expectations of it and just expected an even more less powerful machine with a tablet controller that I will just use for a bit and then switch to pro controller and forget it exist. I pretty much bought wii u for monster hunter and local multiplayer when drinking.
    I ended up completely falling in love with damn thing. I want to use my wii u tablet controller with Ps4 lol. Can't believe how handy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

No idea to be honest, just comes up to connect your Kinect, when its already plugged in, that's usually how to know....

You can mount it under the TV as opposed to on top of it I would say be the best option...

Its nothing that would be your fault, just a manufacturing defect, and if you haven't had it by now chances are your alright...

I used to work support so all I ever heard were the bad things! No one rang me to tell me how good it was.... :)

Now that I think about it, my insect was acting up the other day, kept saying it wasn't connected. Tryed it last night came on. Possible that it could of overheated abit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, my insect was acting up the other day, kept saying it wasn't connected. Tryed it last night came on. Possible that it could of overheated abit

What have you been doing to poor insects ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xenji wrote: »
    What have you been doing to poor insects ;)

Hahaha damn phone and it's auto correct. Over heating insects kills anyway so im only off topic in that sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Do you know roughly how long it takes to get a replacement kinect? Mine died a while ago but I'm looking to move house next month and don't know if I should wait until after I move to send it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lol I know. I am actually ashamed of myself now. I became what I hated the most! :pac: :D
    I don't knows why exactly wii u got me by the balls like that. Maybe because I had such low expectations of it and just expected an even more less powerful machine with a tablet controller that I will just use for a bit and then switch to pro controller and forget it exist. I pretty much bought wii u for monster hunter and local multiplayer when drinking.
    I ended up completely falling in love with damn thing. I want to use my wii u tablet controller with Ps4 lol. Can't believe how handy it is.

It's funny how opinions change when you actually have experience of it :P

Now go play Mario Galaxy. If you don't like that then you are truly heartless.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's funny how opinions change when you actually have experience of it :P

Now go play Mario Galaxy. If you don't like that then you are truly heartless.

Ah come now, dont push it! :p

Though I do want to get Mario world 3D at some stage. In fact, there is a huge list of games I want on Wii U and almost all games ( exclusives ) that coming out on it.

Xenoblades chronicles is for next year, right?

I know I iwll regret this, but which old Mario game would you recommend to pick up from virtual console?

Edit: In fairness I never really told that Wii U is garbage. I just dont really like Mario/Zelda games. :P

Edit2: I am not afraid to be wrong too and admit it. I was wrong about Wii U, its way more better then I though! :D

• Advertisement

• LOL this thread....6 pages since yesterday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah come now, dont push it! :p

Though I do want to get Mario world 3D at some stage. In fact, there is a huge list of games I want on Wii U and almost all games ( exclusives ) that coming out on it.

Xenoblades chronicles is for next year, right?

I know I iwll regret this, but which old Mario game would you recommend to pick up from virtual console?

Edit: In fairness I never really told that Wii U is garbage. I just dont really like Mario/Zelda games. :P

Edit2: I am not afraid to be wrong too and admit it. I was wrong about Wii U, its way more better then I though! :D

Hopefully Xenoblade is out next year, the first game was the best RPG since Persona 4 for me.

Zelda has been rather stale since Ocarina of time. I hear Link between Worlds is a really refreshing take on Zelda so hopefully the WiiU game continues that.

As for the best Mario games on the WiiU, you can't go wrong with Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World or Mario 64. The GBA version of Yoshi's Island is there as well but I much prefer the SNES version although the differences are minor. However with the WiiU backwards compatibile with the Wii I'd recommend both Mario Galaxy games ahead of them. They're just probably the best representation of 3D gameplay in anything so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    LOL this thread....6 pages since yesterday
    1080 flat out ps4 graphics mick....

dor83 wrote: »
    Do you know roughly how long it takes to get a replacement kinect? Mine died a while ago but I'm looking to move house next month and don't know if I should wait until after I move to send it back.

3-5 days taking a deposit on your card or about 3 weeks without deposit on your card...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In the prior quarter, Microsoft reported 2 million console sales of which 1.2 million were the Xbox One. That means the company was moving about 800,000 Xbox 360s just three months ago.

If we assume that the 360 is selling similarly at this point, then this quarter’s 1.1 million consoles likely consisted of just 300,000 Xbox Ones. To get a sense of how terrible that is, it’s as bad as Nintendo’s Wii U results for the quarter that ended in May.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/07/23/disappearing-act-xbox-sales-plummet-while-microsofts-other-devices-continue-to-struggle/?partner=yahootix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

RasTa wrote: »
    In the prior quarter, Microsoft reported 2 million console sales of which 1.2 million were the Xbox One. That means the company was moving about 800,000 Xbox 360s just three months ago.

If we assume that the 360 is selling similarly at this point, then this quarter’s 1.1 million consoles likely consisted of just 300,000 Xbox Ones. To get a sense of how terrible that is, it’s as bad as Nintendo’s Wii U results for the quarter that ended in May.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/07/23/disappearing-act-xbox-sales-plummet-while-microsofts-other-devices-continue-to-struggle/?partner=yahootix

The best part about the quote is "If we assume......."

might be selling like **** but its still by far the better gaming console in comparison to ps4

We'll agree to disagree....

It's a bag of ****e tbf...

:D

Ninja Edit : I <3 the trusty 360 though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The best part about the quote is "If we assume......."
    Now, before anyone asks: How can Microsoft sell nearly 200,000 Xbox Ones in the U.S. in June alone if it shipped 300,000 worldwide for the entire quarter? The answer is that the channel has been sitting on too many consoles for and it’s now working through that backlog.

Going forward, that almost certainly means more Xbox sales, but unless Microsoft cuts into Sony’s substantial lead sometime soon, it risks becoming the also-ran of this generation. And it doesn’t help that despite saying nice things about Xbox, new CEO Satya Nadella doesn’t seem especially committed to it.

In his now infamous 3,100 word memo on the company’s future, Nadella spent one paragraph on Xbox. He talked about its importance, but it’s hard to see how it’s very strategic for a company that Nadella described as ”the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Crazy thing is they will probably sell more 360 than one's for people who might want to play destiny.

I think the numbers will improve once the dual generation releases dry up and at christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement