Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passenger numbers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

dowlingm wrote: »
    5 mph on the tramway. There is a sign visible from Street View.

I can see the Wexford southern exit getting buffer stops like Tralee's exit toward Fenit if something isn't done to increase loads to Rosslare. Then 46min will be chopped out of the schedule.

Given that you have to ride a bus out to the ship anyway, perhaps the solution is a bus transfer at Wexford, running direct to the ship via customs and immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

corktina wrote: »
    Given that you have to ride a bus out to the ship anyway, perhaps the solution is a bus transfer at Wexford, running direct to the ship via customs and immigration.

Sure why not go all the way and run a bus from Greystones then? God lads but some of yiz have a terrible hard on for salami slicing the railway.

Obviously because that would entail a change for passengers who don't have a change at present .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sorry but no, the train must run all the way

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

only a suggestion to address the 46 mins situation and free up paths and stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Here's a positive and realistic suggestion - fence off the Wexford Quayside line, time trains with all the ferries and reinstate the link to Waterford and run those trains straight to Galway via the WRC.

How is that realistic? I think the townsfolk might object at loss of amenity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Here's a positive and realistic suggestion - fence off the Wexford Quayside line, time trains with all the ferries and reinstate the link to Waterford and run those trains straight to Galway via the WRC.

An evening departure ex Rosslare has been deferred before by 30 minutes for the summer. However, how much good it will do is another story; most of the traffic off the boat come via car, truck and coach and most of the foot passenger opt to travel via Bus Eireann.

i don't think it would free up paths and stock though, horid 29s will still be down here for the forseeable, i think fencing off the line is the best suggestion, the towns folk can grumble but if people used common sense and didn't play silly buggers with the railway we wouldn't be having this discussion, but sadly they don't and we are, oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Who in their right mind would want to travel by train from Rosslare to Galway?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would want to travel by bus from Rosslare to Galway?

FYP.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would want to travel by train from Rosslare to Galway?
    not many i should imagine, but it might be a way of saving stock if the 2 lines were operated as 1 service where possible, rosslare limerick, limerick galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

All part of the marketing of Ireland - think of it as a backpacker's special.

As Banjoxed says who in their right mind would travel from Rosslare to Galway by bus?

All part of the marketing of Ireland - think of it as a backpacker's special.

As Banjoxed says who in their right mind would travel from Rosslare to Galway by bus?
    yes, sounds like hell, mind you 4 years ago i traveled cork to waterford by bus, it took me a couple of years to get over it, worst journey i ever did, sadly rosslare waterford had been stolen some weeks before i did the trip, otherwise by train end of the road would have come home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I've done it, not pleasant (and back in 1998 too, before the good roads!!!).... Would have killed to be able to do it by train! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

46 minutes isn't too useful anyway. People in South Wexford also deserve an efficient public transport system, they pay taxes. If I had a bit of money to buy/ lease a train, I'd start an Enniscorthy - Waterford service, as IÉ give the the best replacement rail service €250k annually. And last time I checked, a service lasting 1:20 is way better than a bus journey 1:55 long, excluding delays at rush hours in New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Fencing off the line would only deliver a minimal improvement to speeds. As for the 46 minute saving, it would have no impact on stock rosters.
    If I had a bit of money to buy/ lease a train, I'd start an Enniscorthy - Waterford service, as IÉ give the the best replacement rail service €250k annually. And last time I checked, a service lasting 1:20 is way better than a bus journey 1:55 long, excluding delays at rush hours in New Ross.

IE had such a service already.....

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Fencing off the line would only deliver a minimal improvement to speeds.

it might though, if its an electric fence
    As for the 46 minute saving, it would have no impact on stock rosters.

agree
    IE had such a service already.....

yes, and the so called "national" transport authority allowed IE to take it from the people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Irish Rail's "Service" was laughable. In the mornings 3 days a week a train from Enniscorthy ran down to connect with it, with no return connections in the evening. Secondly (and this is relevant to passenger numbers) I rarely saw ticket checkers, which meant anyone who didn't board in Waterford or Rosslare Strand couldn't pay for their tickets quite often. This is probably why numbers fluctuated. I saw 70 onboard in Campile (first station from Waterford) and 65 at Ballycullane, and 50 at Wellingtonbridge. This is quite a bit higher than 25, as Irish Rail said. This makes me wonder if other lightly travelled routes have the same situation, such as Manulla, Waterford - Limerick Junction and, to a lesser extent, Ballybrophy - Limerick.

man98 wrote: »
    Irish Rail's "Service" was laughable. In the mornings 3 days a week a train from Enniscorthy ran down to connect with it, with no return connections in the evening. Secondly (and this is relevant to passenger numbers) I rarely saw ticket checkers, which meant anyone who didn't board in Waterford or Rosslare Strand couldn't pay for their tickets quite often. This is probably why numbers fluctuated. I saw 70 onboard in Campile (first station from Waterford) and 65 at Ballycullane, and 50 at Wellingtonbridge. This is quite a bit higher than 25, as Irish Rail said. This makes me wonder if other lightly travelled routes have the same situation, such as Manulla, Waterford - Limerick Junction and, to a lesser extent, Ballybrophy - Limerick.

Indeed. An inconvenient truth all right.

• Advertisement

couple that with the fact the line was in wexford, mind you the main line to dublin ends up with a second class service at times when we have to put up with a glorified dublin bus vehicle on rails known as the 2900 class, if the trains were consistantly the proper long distance trains like other long distance routes then people might either come to use it or come back, but it seems the customers on this line aren't worth been given a good consistant comfortable product. customers on this line have been dissrespected for years so nothing is going to change, a shame

man98 wrote: »

It was a Monday-Friday service and there was a return connection. I will check to confirm the return service but I am near certain. Irish Rail didn't say only 25 used the service, it was an average of 25 per service on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

couple that with the fact the line was in wexford, mind you the main line to dublin ends up with a second class service at times when we have to put up with a glorified dublin bus vehicle on rails known as the 2900 class, if the trains were consistantly the proper long distance trains like other long distance routes then people might either come to use it or come back, but it seems the customers on this line aren't worth been given a good consistant comfortable product. customers on this line have been dissrespected for years so nothing is going to change, a shame

You mean you want parity with the other 'Intercity' lines which have large population bases at either end of it? Sorry mate, that doesn't make sense. Belfast, Cork/Limerick & Galway will always get the better rolling stock, that's just how it is.

You should be grateful that, along with the Sligo line, the significant commuter population from the Greater Dublin Area means the Rosslare line hasn't been shuttered completely. I'd wager the rolling stock on the line is wholly suitable for most of the customers who utilise it.

Suitable rolling stock is available though, it's just IE prefer to use it on Dub-Cork and stored the mk4s. I don't blame Wexford line users for being disgruntled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Suitable rolling stock is available though, it's just IE prefer to use it on Dub-Cork and stored the mk4s. I don't blame Wexford line users for being disgruntled.

Never mind even that, as has been posted often enough they use intercity stock for short distance commuter services like the M3 parkway service, while sending commuter stock half the length of the country. Plenty of scope for a direct swap right there, but will never happen.

TINA1984 wrote: »
    You mean you want parity with the other 'Intercity' lines which have large population bases at either end of it? Sorry mate, that doesn't make sense.

really? providing the same standard of comfort to us that other long distance routes get doesn't make sense? really? it doesn't?
    Belfast, Cork/Limerick & Galway will always get the better rolling stock, that's just how it is.

ah yes, we should except a to tier rail system because "thats how it is" cork and belfast will get different stock, galway limerick and so on get the same rolling stock as us, but all of the time, not when IE can spair a unit. the intercity railcars are designed for long distance routes which rosslare and sligo are, the 2900 class are suburban railcars designed for short distance high capacity routes which sligo and rosslare aren't, i'm afraid "thats just how it is" isn't good enough and is no defence for these things being used on the line to rosslare and sligo.
    You should be grateful that, along with the Sligo line, the significant commuter population from the Greater Dublin Area means the Rosslare line hasn't been shuttered completely.

yes, i should be so greatful that i have a rail service at all that i should have to put up with a second class service, no wonder people go to and have gone other alternatives with an attitude like that
    I'd wager the rolling stock on the line is wholly suitable for most of the customers who utilise it.

your joking right? you honestly think suburban railcars are "wholly suitable for most of the customers who use the line" if that is the case how come passengers have gone down since suburban railcars were introduced on the line back in 2004? thankfully they have come back slightly but if you think glorified dublin bus vehicles are suitable for a journey of nearly 3 hours then i hope you never get a management job in irish rail.

really? providing the same standard of comfort to us that other long distance routes get doesn't make sense? really? it doesn't?

ah yes, we should except a to tier rail system because "thats how it is" cork and belfast will get different stock, galway limerick and so on get the same rolling stock as us, but all of the time, not when IE can spair a unit. the intercity railcars are designed for long distance routes which rosslare and sligo are, the 2900 class are suburban railcars designed for short distance high capacity routes which sligo and rosslare aren't, i'm afraid "thats just how it is" isn't good enough and is no defence for these things being used on the line to rosslare and sligo.

yes, i should be so greatful that i have a rail service at all that i should have to put up with a second class service, no wonder people go to and have gone other alternatives with an attitude like that

your joking right? you honestly think suburban railcars are "wholly suitable for most of the customers who use the line" if that is the case how come passengers have gone down since suburban railcars were introduced on the line back in 2004? thankfully they have come back slightly but if you think glorified dublin bus vehicles are suitable for a journey of nearly 3 hours then i hope you never get a management job in irish rail.

One of the hallmarks of the Irish abroad is their "Can Do" mentality, precisely because there are so many at home who tell you "You Can't" for whatever reason suits them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It was a Monday-Friday service and there was a return connection. I will check to confirm the return service but I am near certain. Irish Rail didn't say only 25 used the service, it was an average of 25 per service on the line.

As one of the few who post here that uses trains - as opposed to chasing them by road to take photographs - I assure you that the Enniscorthy/Waterford service was a complete farce from the outset. I have correspondence with Dick Fearn about it but I haven't the energy to scan it now. Tomorrow perhaps.

At one point the totally unpromoted service was replaced by a bus between Enniscorthy and Rosslare Strand and by another bus between two South Wexford stations - I forget which - due to flooding or some other problem. On the first day of operation myself and another intending passenger (yes there were 2 of us) were locked out of the station and would have missed the train had I not had the signalman's mobile number in my phone. CIE is past its sell by date as is the Department of (Road) Transport.:mad:

As one of the few who post here that uses trains - as opposed to chasing them by road to take photographs - I assure you that the Enniscorthy/Waterford service was a complete farce from the outset. I have correspondence with Dick Fearn about it but I haven't the energy to scan it now. Tomorrow perhaps.

At one point the totally unpromoted service was replaced by a bus between Enniscorthy and Rosslare Strand and by another bus between two South Wexford stations - I forget which - due to flooding or some other problem. On the first day of operation myself and another intending passenger (yes there were 2 of us) were locked out of the station and would have missed the train had I not had the signalman's mobile number in my phone. CIE is past its sell by date as is the Department of (Road) Transport.:mad:

I totally agree about the service and it was never going to work however I was just correcting the point with the other poster made which was not correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

It wouldn't be an end of the road post without a smart comment at the end of it ;)

Face the facts, the Rosslare line is kept alive by those who use it the most ie Dublin area commuters,Does that compute with you? its not the people of Rosslare or Wexford town on the odd trip to the big city keeping the line afloat, its the lads who are using the line day in and day out to commute to Dublin who are keeping the Rosslare line viable. As such, commuter stock is entirely appropriate. We'd all love to have first class carriages, a buffet and a trolley service for all the provincial lines but if the PAX ain't there then there's no point.

As for the 'InterCity' schtick, that's a branding and nothing else. Cork and Belfast are cities, Rosslare and Sligo are not. There are NO major population centres on the Rosslare and Sligo lines once you venture out of the Dublin commuter belt, expecting the same kind of rolling stock as the busy IC lines when most of the paying customers are commuters just isn't logical.

You have to accept that Rosslare harbour isn't important a destination anymore as it was once in the mosts of time, this isn't because of the supposedly inferior rolling stock, but because where possible people will drive to the Port or use easier alternatives such as airports or Dublin or DL ports for their trips abroad, no amount of fancy rolling stock or whining about the lack of a "can do"/let someone else pay for it attitude will change this.

There are plenty of closed railway lines around the country with the same profile of the Rosslare and Sligo lines who's populations I'm sure would be absolutely delighted to have the kind of railway service the good people of Enniscorthy, Wexford & Rosslare supposedly have to endure. Like I already said, be grateful for what you have, who knows what the future could bring ;)

Advertisement