Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A warm if not hot at times, week ahead with the likelyhood of heat stress warnings being issued by Met Eireann. Temperatures reaching the mid twenties quickly and potentially higher (28/29 degrees possible) as the week progresses. Warmest conditions most likely inland west. Thunderstorm activity likely to break out as the temperatures rise during midweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Essex is on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

Some really big cells in Europe again today

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The ECMWF is a summer weather lover's dream. Very warm throughout the week except for the odd incursion of fronts in to the far west at times. Could even turn hot at times.

Some differences in the model outlooks toward the weekend. Some going for a slow break down but one or two stopping the high pressure from toppling and keep the hot weather for a good bit longer.

This week looks every bit as good as last summer.

On the downside the nights will be very warm, humid and sticky. Not pleasant for sleeping. Tonight will be cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looks like the weather will pick up just in time for my arrival back home :)

Just eye candy for now but promising signs, doesn't get much better than this for this time of year

ECM1-240_wec2.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Weather Gods shone on Costa Del Bray once again today for the Bray Airshow. Hot and Sunny for the most part and 80-90,000 there to enjoy it.

Picking up? It never exactly goes down on the ECM ;) Fantastic right the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No one has said yet I think but this summer is actually shaping up to be better than last summer. Not as hot but the warm, dry and bright seems more sustained, in that it keeps coming back after the odd dodgy day or two (South East).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No one has said yet I think but this summer is actually shaping up to be better than last summer. Not as hot but the warm, dry and bright seems more sustained, in that it keeps coming back after the odd dodgy day or two (South East).

I think its been a fantastic summer so far. I honestly can't remember another summer in recent times that had so many consistently warm/sunny days. It feels like there's only been a handful of poor days here in the south since the start of June. And things look good for the week to come too, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It has been great but it will still take a string of days with temps in the high 20s for people to remember it. Im still hoping for a repeat of the temps last year so you can go snorkelling in luke warm sheltered bays without the need for a wetsuit!
    Another better thing this year is that we are still getting rain inbetween the good spells, so the farmers cant be complaining.

• Advertisement

I don't know if people living in western coastal extremities would share the same opinion of this summer.Most days have been overcast due to the high humidity with a lot of gloomy cool misty drizzley days with dissapointing temperatures.

But I do hope to we can boast about a Costa Del mayo(sounds better too :) before the summers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭chris2007

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Very warm and humid this week with day time temperatures reaching the mid twenties in places. The nights will be very mild and close with lowest temperatures of around 15 or 16 degrees in many areas
    Issued:
    Monday 21 July 2014 10:00
    Valid:
    Tuesday 22 July 2014 00:01 to Saturday 26 July 2014 23:59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I do think the weather has been worse the further west/north you go. Its been good in eastern galway anyway but I normally make trips to mayo when the weather gets better but I havent made any trips that way yet because it has tended to be cloudier in that direction.
    Once the good strong easterlies start up though, then furnace in Newport will probably be one of the hottest places as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Third day in a row of cloudy weather. Temp barely scraping to 20c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It's been a really poor summer in Donegal as well from what I've been told, dull, drizzly and no warmth whatsoever, very much a NW/SE split this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Third day in a row of cloudy weather. Temp barely scraping to 20c.
    Yeah same here,cloud doesn't look like breaking soon either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

starting to brighten up here now, although it's been very dry and quite warm here for days now, there has been barely any sun since Friday evening. Here's hoping the rest of this week will be sunnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a very average summer in my parts as far as I'm concerned - certainly nowhere near as good as last year's blue skies. I seem to be living under a permanent blanket of cloud and lots more out in the Atlantic to come too.
    Very disappointing considering some of the weather forecasts I've been hearing lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Now the question is do I go ahead and book Thursday and Friday off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I think the big difference between this summer and last from my point of view, has been the weather over the weekends, this year has been good over all but the best of the sun and temps have been on a on a Wednesday or a Thursday, the weekends have been so so..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Lovely afternoon near Arklow,the Davis has 24.3c now.
    That's after a warm sunny morning and a 20 min rain shower at noon.
    I continue to think its a smashing summer in the sunny south east anyhow and it has been largely sunny down this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

whitebriar wrote: »
    I continue to think its a smashing summer in the sunny south east anyhow and it has been largely sunny down this way.

I agree. I can't remember the last time I felt "cold". Even last Friday's big event was nothing much, Saturday/Sunday were lovely for the most part. Sunshine most days, the evenings especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

whitebriar wrote: »

I agree it been a smashing summer. I think a lot of peoples view of a good summer has been influenced by sun holidays.
    Last year was exceptional (when it got going after a rubbish spring) I think any day you can get out without either a jumper or jacket is a good summer day in Ireland.
    If you can take your top off (god forbid what would the priest say) its an exceptional summer day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I think people who have been lucky enough to live in more coastal areas are forgetting others haven't seen half the sun they are (Bray for example, as we're told every hour how sunny it is there!! :D). It's been miserably cloudy here the last few days till late in the evening when the sun is pretty much gone.

In the last hot weather spell there was maybe 3/4 days of 90% sun, the rest were very hit and miss.

Sorry, but heat with a full sky of cloud is not what I call great weather.

EDIT: also, how poor has some of the cloud extent forecasting been all Summer? A little bit of common sense would suggest to check the satellites, see the massive banks of clouds still to come, and NOT forecast sunny weather or sunny breaks if it really doesn't look like it. (Granted cloud can burn off and things can change, but how hard is ''cloudy across the country, with little or no sun. Cloud may burn off or break a little.''). I'm nearly positive ME had today has being relatively sunny for plenty of areas and now it's been adjusted today to an above scenario.

EDIT 2: God I sound awful grumpy! :D I will say this summer has been very good, but cloud in my area anyway has put a downer on many days which promised much more. The lack of cold too has kept the thicker clothes away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mostly cloudy here again all day, few breaks earlier, 22C was today's tops in my area, so far over past few weeks the temperatures has been hovering around 19-22C, but not really making it past 23C at any stage. This is nice weather but it is by no means a heatwave, with alot more cloud around than forecast I don't see temperatures getting much higher than 24 or 25C this week unless there is decent amounts of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

So sick of this cloud cover, i wouldn't mind if we were being dominated by low pressure but the high pressure is not far off from us and there is no sign of clear skies, looking at britain right now and they have about 10% cloud cover in most places... will we ever see a clear sky again? Plus the high temps and humidity make it worse without the sunshine

Book a ticket to Costa Del bray.

Lovely evening here, warm humid and sunny. Difficult night for sleeping though as temperature may not fall below 17c. /Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very humid evening and what appears to flying ants are out in full force!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

I hear ye! It's getting to the point where it's hard to stay indoors.
    This summer is different to last year HUMIDITY

Advertisement