Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

e_e wrote: »
    Also not liking Mrs Brown's Boys = narcissism? You're going to have to elaborate on that one lest you appear to be pulling ad-hominems out of thin air.

:D Yes, that's exactly what I said isn't it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

So you're going to repeatedly do the transparent "hahaha I made a really vague and arbitrary point but no I'm not gonna elaborate on it you're just going to have to guess!" thing?

Is the title supposed to imply its bad, as in its a D-Movie, like the way B-Movies are second rate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

WHIP IT, stop trolling.

Everyone else, stop replying to the clear flamebait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Is the title supposed to imply its bad, as in its a D-Movie, like the way B-Movies are second rate?

really?? d'movie is a colloquial way of saying the movie.
    you know like d'unbelievables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Saw the movie tonight, ahh was grand a few laughs wont win an oscar but maybe a ifta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

roshje wrote: »
    Saw the movie tonight, ahh was grand a few laughs wont win an oscar but maybe a ifta

Damning with faint praise there....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just got back from Transformers 4 and saw this little abomination outside the door. I'm amazed there's any skin left on the industry's fingers if this is how many times they've had to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

movies-pudsey-the-movie-poster.jpg

Apparently, it was on the X-Factor or something.... I nearly had to google it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Damning with faint praise there....

Wait and see

• Advertisement

Wait and see

No I don't mean it won't win an IFTA. I mean that winning an IFTA isn't any great shakes - you make a feature film in Ireland that gets a cinema release then it's nearly a given that you get a nomination for an IFTA.

No I don't mean it won't win an IFTA. I mean that winning an IFTA isn't any great shakes - you make a feature film in Ireland that gets a cinema release then it's nearly a given that you get a nomination for an IFTA.

Sorry took you up wrong:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Transformers 4 and Ms. Brown Boys will be looked back as the Commando and Blackface of their day, respectively.

I've always wondered how many people actually go on dedicated forums like for gaming, tv, movies media like this and what percentage are just out there "in the wild", just going to see these things because, you know, they do. I'd wager 80% at least

The truth is if everybody love films he way we do, these films wouldn't succeed. 90% of people just don't, and frankly will never. Most people are "hipster" about something. That isn't a bad thing.

Found these user comments on the Escapist website and I couldn't finish this post without quoting all of them:

Here's what most people are like:
    i like movies, i like all kind of movies, including big explosion dumb movies, because sometimes i'm just in a mood for that. some people have to stop thinking that the fringe of the population who goes to specialized forums, and that know more that the average joe about movies represent a majority. it doesnt. the same people ask every year why there's another call of duty comming out, that "real gamers" dont play them anymore. it's because hardcore gamers are not the majority of people that play games, they just thing they are the only one that count, which is elitism at it best

The people who watch Michael Bay movies also enjoy Community, Arrested Development, Game of Thrones, CSI, NCIS, The Goonies, Citizen Kane, Troll 2, love KISS both ironically and unironically, hate KISS, think Goldeneye is the greatest video game ever, think Call of Duty is the greatest game ever, think Halo is the greatest game ever, love Citizen Kane, never saw Citizen Kane, thought Sucker Punch was brilliant, thought Sucker Punch was garbage, and on and on.

They just like the movie. That's all. It signifies nothing more than the ability to enjoy a big dumb action movie that is made by Michael Bay. They're brilliant, they're stupid, they're every point in between.

We do this every time something is a success that we don't personally enjoy; we try to discredit the people who enjoy it as if they're some mass of folks who signify everything that is wrong with the world , forgetting that the numbers are so huge that they permeate every level of society. They're the same kind of people who made Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark classic films. They're same people who (statistically speaking) embraced Dark Knight and rejected Green Lantern. They're just people who wanted to see giant robots punch each other while stuff 'sploded.

IMO,I have to say there have incredible amounts of comedy shows that have come before that were far more deserving of success (hysterical in fact) of this one than this movie/series and the fact that just because this franchise is popular - the idea of linking it to FATHER TED is bizarre and inane.

It had go through multiple rankings in order to get where it was, in fact if you watch the documentaries, Linehan created a show specifically so it wouldn't make the Irish look like a big bunch of eejits and it had something NEW to say (goldmines of it in fact) His biggest inspiration was the Simpsons of the 90's. In fact most Irish people at first thought "Oh no, not again making us look they a bunch of begorrah's AGAIN", until they were proven very wrong.

The Inbetweeners was a goldmine too.

What O Carroll is doing is lazy with all the talent and writers available to him. I could say that of many other artists as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was in Norn Iron last week on hols and heard the UK radio ad for MBB. The way the voice over guy (I think it's Peter Dixon) pronounces "D'Movie" made me laugh more than I doubt the film itself could. Whereas phonetically we say it as "da-movie" or "de-movie", Dixon says "Duhh-mooovie". It just sounds so weird hearing an English accent trying to deliver some Dublinese.

Also describes MBB as "the nation's favourite", the nation being Britain. Well fancy that!

Sorry took you up wrong:D

Oooh-errr matron!

tumblr_m5i82qs3yg1rr7wnno1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Adamantium wrote: »
    Transformers 4 and Ms. Brown Boys will be looked back as the Commando and Blackface of their day, respectively.

I've always wondered how many people actually go on dedicated forums like for gaming, tv, movies media like this and what percentage are just out there "in the wild", just going to see these things because, you know, they do. I'd wager 80% at least

The truth is if everybody love films he way we do, these films wouldn't succeed. 90% of people just don't, and frankly will never. Most people are "hipster" about something. That isn't a bad thing.

Found these user comments on the Escapist website and I couldn't finish this post without quoting all of them:

Here's what most people are like:

IMO,I have to say there have incredible amounts of comedy shows that have come before that were far more deserving of success (hysterical in fact) of this one than this movie/series and the fact that just because this franchise is popular - the idea of linking it to FATHER TED is bizarre and inane.

It had go through multiple rankings in order to get where it was, in fact if you watch the documentaries, Linehan created a show specifically so it wouldn't make the Irish look like a big bunch of eejits and it had something NEW to say (goldmines of it in fact) His biggest inspiration was the Simpsons of the 90's. In fact most Irish people at first thought "Oh no, not again making us look they a bunch of begorrah's AGAIN", until they were proven very wrong.

The Inbetweeners was a goldmine too.

What O Carroll is doing is lazy with all the talent and writers available to him. I could say that of many other artists as well.

Commando is a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Tis a fine film, but tis no Under Siege, English.

Oooh-errr matron!

tumblr_m5i82qs3yg1rr7wnno1_400.jpg

You're happy so.....

Watched it today and surprise surprise it was rubbish. It doesn't even feel like they were trying at all.

Hadn't experienced much of Mrs Brown's Boys before this but it was really enough for a lifetime for me, let alone 90 minutes.

Watched it today and surprise surprise it was rubbish. It doesn't even feel like they were trying at all.

Hadn't experienced much of Mrs Brown's Boys before this but it was really enough for a lifetime for me, let alone 90 minutes.

Did you feel it was worse than the TV show?

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Did you feel it was worse than the TV show?
    Like I said I haven't seen nearly enough to give a comparison.

I can report on the audience reaction though: Pretty crowded afternoon screening but there wasn't much laughter, and I heard somebody say it was a disappointment compared to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Have seen this twice already :o - let the slating begin so :p

I actually really enjoyed it, it was what is was and obviously if you dont enjoy the series at all then your more than likely going to hate the movie as with most TV shows that make into movies, imho switch off your brain a bit and just be entertained by its sillyness and quite a few laugh out loud moments :D

The scenery is fantastic also, as someone also said here its a real advertisement for Dublin, very funny, very real Dublin type, very very feelgood and leaves you a little bit teary at times (and that rarely happens with me at a movie)

Ill go again tbh if one of my mates/family wants to see it, 8/10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

it should actually be d'fill'Emm

I'm fully aware of the colloquial. Its just something that occured to me when I saw D MOVIE written in massive letters on a bill board. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a double meaning and was a bit of typical Irish self deprecating humour.

http://dublinpeople.blogspot.ie/2014/07/critics-reaction-to-mrs-brown-movie-is.html

Rolled my eyes so much reading this in the Southside People today. Embarrassingly smug article which perfectly shows how the Irish can not take any form of criticism on the chin without resorting to straw-men, accusations and really petty jabs. Ironically says far more about the writer and (some of) the people lining up to defend this rubbish than it does the critics. That they can't actually defend the show/movie reasonably without resorting to ad-hominem attacks and ridiculous mischaracterizations of their opponents.

I mean like the show/movie all you want, it just embarrasses me that paid writers are now resorting to these playground tactics instead of actually discussing the film and others' response to it reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

http://dublinpeople.blogspot.ie/2014/07/critics-reaction-to-mrs-brown-movie-is.html

Rolled my eyes so much reading this in the Southside People today. Embarrassingly smug article which perfectly shows how the Irish can not take any form of criticism on the chin without resorting to straw-men, accusations and really petty jabs. Ironically says far more about the writer and (some of) the people lining up to defend this rubbish than it does the critics. That they can't actually defend the show/movie reasonably without resorting to ad-hominem attacks and ridiculous mischaracterizations of their opponents.

I mean like the show/movie all you want, it just embarrasses me that paid writers are now resorting to these playground tactics instead of actually discussing the film and others' response to it reasonably.

I think you may have missed the authors point. His essential point is that many of critics slat the film because it is not high brow enough and it is a slur on their great and noble job of film reviews. It doesnt matter a crap what critics think..the film is a box office success (if that is your measure of success). He was not trying to defend the film or any of its merits.

I am not a BOC fan and if he was playing at the bottom of my garden I would pull the curtains. I cannot understand why it is so popular especially here in England...I find it cringeworthy and appaling but hey ho...everyone to themselves...:cool:

But having said that, I thought the article hit the nail on the head and IMO there is a large degree of intellectual poo pooing.

A little like to slagging Gareth Brookes fans get (again I am no fan)...bascially a bunch of red neck hicks from middle Ireland not much more evolved than apes..would Leonard Cohen fans get such slagging?

His essential point is that many of critics slat the film because it is not high brow enough
    Which is exactly the kind of ridiculous straw man that I was calling out in my post. There is no point to miss, it's somebody being ridiculously defensive and painting critics as something that they are not. It's even more smug and condescending than the behavior (which doesn't even exist in the first place) that it's calling out.

I could also point you to silly comedies that have gotten near unanimous positive responses from the very critics who disliked D'Movie. How do you explain that?

The box-office has nothing to do with a film's quality to me.

The basic judge of comedy is "How much did I laugh?" and I doubt there's many professional critics who don't apply that rule to the genre. To accuse them of responding to MBB in too high-brow a way is way off the mark especially when the likes of 22 Jump Street (a genuinely hilarious film imo) gets near-universal positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Which is exactly the kind of ridiculous straw man that I was calling out in my post. There is no point to miss, it's somebody being ridiculously defensive and painting critics as something that they are not. It's even more smug and condescending than the behavior (which doesn't even exist in the first place) that it's calling out.

I could also point you to silly comedies that have gotten near unanimous positive responses from the very critics who disliked D'Movie. How do you explain that?

The box-office has nothing to do with a film's quality to me.

This is a matter of interpretation, but I do not believe he is being smug or even ridiculously defensive. With respect, I think your reaction is a little excessive to what is essentially someones blog.

He seems to revel in the fact that the film appears to wind up the so called 'high-brow' critics. He doesnt back that up. As a matter of interest, do you think there is any truth in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

One of the commenters at the bottom(ooer misses) of the Guardian made a valid point that this is catering to an audience that cinema is ignoring for years and that it is the first time in years that his mother(who is English) went to the cinema without her grandkids and she detests swearing but seems to not mind the way BOC gets it in without offence to her.

Don't like MBBs and when they pulled a clip for it for Graham Nortons show I would presume it would be one of the funniest to promote Dfilim but it was awful so I wont be going to see it but am happy for BOC as he seems to give a lot to charity and has had a lot of ups and downs in his life.

Advertisement